Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pryce
May 21, 2011
New update is out, and I didn't realize how much I wanted city names until I saw them. I immediately feel very attached to Empire City and I will be very sad to destroy it and move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
:siren: New Build :siren:

- Added greetings to each city start
- Added city names
- Added extra checks to prevent game wipes
- Better scrolling limits
- Shadow improvements
- Car performance improvements
- Fixed missing locked building
- Collecting bux bonuses now adds to Pension Pig
- Lot demand stays Normal when you have less than 6 buildings

Cender
Sep 24, 2004

The background color on dusty plains is very close to the color of unpurchased tiles. I thought I had hit a bug where I couldn't finish that city for a minute or two.

Turns out I just wasn't looking hard enough but figured it was worth mentioning.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Typo on the Empire city welcome: "reach it's potential" should be "its"

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

IrregularOreos posted:

Just wanted to add that, if I'm not mistaken, the missions as they are at the moment aren't automatic. To complete it, you still need 5 (or however many) of the buildings on screen at the same time to complete, which means that you still need to historical the buildings, unless you somehow get insanely lucky. The counter going backwards doesn't really change that - i.e. having a building pop up for 1 out of 5, that same building being converted into something else, then coming back later down the line won't result in 2 out of 5 now. Someone please correct me if that is wrong.

That's just silly. The current fix does nothing to make the task easier, since you still need 5 at one time to pass the mission so it's the same requirements. And it actually makes it harder since you have no way of knowing how many you actually have in your city right now. It used to be that if my progress said I had one of 3 recycling centers then I could hunt around to try to find it and make it historical. But now, if it says 1 of 3, I have no idea if I actually have one or if I just had one in the past. It's very much a step backward.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

Psion posted:

you build X [residential / business / service] slots and you wait while the RNG gives you what you want. How is there any skill / input / strategy involved?

Serious question - it's all RNG. The only difference between those and the "10,000 buildings" is one requires you to tap recycling buildings and one doesn't, but they're all fundamentally waiting for cranes to upgrade your buildings. One is just more annoying - but that's not strategy. There's no way to strategize beyond the initial placement of tiles (e.g. prioritizing large service if that's what you need), but that hasn't changed since the first release.

Do you understanding how flagging historical works? Because it makes the "have X buildings" missions a game of skill. It says you have a hospital so YOU'RE TRYING TO FIND THE HOSPITAL BEFORE THE AUTOBUILD GETS IT. If you find it, you can make it historical. That, to me, is a game of skill, and the better you are at it the sooner you will complete your mission. Yes, it still relies on the RNG, but it has some skill interaction. Unlike the 10,000 builds quest where the player can do nothing to speed it up or slow it down or have any impact on it at all.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva
The wiping bug seems to be fixed as far as I can tell..

But the tutorial is bugged right now, it wants me to click on the City Hall or the blue button to upgrade something, but neither is clickable.

I wasn't really following the tutorial though, just randomly doing stuff the way I normally would.

voodoo dog fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 28, 2017

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Forum Joe posted:

Do you understanding how flagging historical works? Because it makes the "have X buildings" missions a game of skill. It says you have a hospital so YOU'RE TRYING TO FIND THE HOSPITAL BEFORE THE AUTOBUILD GETS IT. If you find it, you can make it historical. That, to me, is a game of skill, and the better you are at it the sooner you will complete your mission. Yes, it still relies on the RNG, but it has some skill interaction. Unlike the 10,000 builds quest where the player can do nothing to speed it up or slow it down or have any impact on it at all.

Gonna go on a limb here and say that this "skill" wasn't intended to be a central game mechanic. Yes it requires reflex and explicit player interaction but it doesn't mean it's automatically good and rewarding

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

Dali Parton posted:

Gonna go on a limb here and say that this "skill" wasn't intended to be a central game mechanic. Yes it requires reflex and explicit player interaction but it doesn't mean it's automatically good and rewarding

I find it good and rewarding, you don't have to, it's a gameplay mechanic that may or may not be to everyone's tastes. But to say those missions rely entirely on the RNG is factually incorrect; they rely more on player interaction than any other mission in the whole game.

IrregularOreos
Oct 26, 2010
Surprise, there's also a 20,000 buildings quest. Kill me now, there goes all quest motivation for 2 days.

Also, the first windmill upgrade seems incredibly underwhelming for close to a trillion dollar cost. At that stage of the game, when you're making a trillion dollars to afford the upgrade, getting 7-9 million extra per second is clearly irrelevant. The later windmill upgrade also does not contribute much. Can these be either increased, or the cost decreased?

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
I'm in total agreement on the windmill perk. It's a complete waste

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Snorkzilla posted:

I'm in total agreement on the windmill perk. It's a complete waste

Yeah, we can tweak it. You mean the tier 7 upgrade, not the Game upgrade right?

Shadowstar
May 19, 2003

~~~~~~~~~
City names are a great start. I feel like there would be more of a sense of progression if certain building types only unlock when you reach certain cities. Or if there are unique buildings for each city, or something more dynamic than just the background and layout to give each city character.

edit: Like start with more rural and basic stuff and leave off the highrises and big utilities and whatnot until you reach larger city layouts.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

eeenmachine posted:

Yeah, we can tweak it. You mean the tier 7 upgrade, not the Game upgrade right?

It's the Clean Energy Credit on tier 7 yes. While you're at it, I don't think tier 7's Transportation Study does anything. I've tried looking at my total per second and tried watching coins every time I upgraded it and I just don't see what's happening there.

Edit: the game upgrade Smart Grid is really obscure as to what is doing. Are the rbs buildings now making their own power if I buy that? Isn't that a total waste of bucks now that the windmills upgrade themselves at no cost?

EdwardSwifferhands fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 28, 2017

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
I feel like the dock tax could use a buff too.

Also the shadows in the building focus models are fubared.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Forum Joe posted:

You need to step back and re-evaluate your priorities if you are literally all-caps yelling on the internet about a minor quest in a f2p mobile application. I'm not using that to deflect from the substance of the argument, but okay, wow.

As to the substance: read my post again, you'll see I understand how they work just fine. In fact, they rely on the RNG more than any other quest. You need two rolls to go your way each time. One for upgrading the right tile, and the second to pick the correct building - made moreso because this has to repeat multiple times to actually get 2-3-6-however many to even spawn.

I think that's bad. :shrug:

Psion fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jan 28, 2017

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
I just realized that this game will never seem finished without a Bitizen who is really angry about roads. Not sure if having advisors makes sense, but somehow.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Chiming in as another person who got their game wiped with the patch that introduced zone-your-own buildings. I'd just bought the first key upgrade and the laundromat, too. :sigh: I had recently enabled cloud saves, which is looking like part of the issue. Glad it's fixed now, at least.

Lately, though, I've been having trouble getting ads to play even when I'm connected to WiFi and have plenty of cell service, but I'm guessing that's on the ad provider's end.

This might present a potential issue if it's not a temporary problem: while tying double-time to advertising is a rad (and tried-and-true) way to implement ads, I could see the double-time upgrade becoming a problem if someone were to invest :10bux: into them only to have the ads start drying up. Having one of the more expensive upgrades contingent on something that the player can't control or depend on seems risky. Had I not started having issues I probably would've grabbed it once I crack my piggybank, but now that I have, I'm glad I didn't opt to pick it up earlier.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Yeah I haven't been able to get an ad in a few hours. I feel my withdrawals starting :gonk:

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Yeah I haven't been able to get an ad as of a few minutes now. Restarting the app didn't do anything. I've had this happen before where it gets stuck on channel surfing but eventually it would work. I'll check back in a few hours to see if it's still not grabbing an ad.

e: got it fine now

Xtanstic fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 28, 2017

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I was playing Bit City and my phone caught on fire.

I'm (mostly) kidding. I was playing it on the subway, then got off at my stop and put the phone away in my pocket. Was in a shop and heard POP! Smoke starts pouring out of my jacket pocket. Luckily I was able to toss it on the floor before it really started blowing up. Ugh.

Anyway - I won't be able to continue testing for a while lol.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Lowness 72 posted:

I'm (mostly) kidding. I was playing it on the subway, then got off at my stop and put the phone away in my pocket. Was in a shop and heard POP! Smoke starts pouring out of my jacket pocket. Luckily I was able to toss it on the floor before it really started blowing up. Ugh.

O_O

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

CaptainCaveman posted:

I just realized that this game will never seem finished without a Bitizen who is really angry about roads. Not sure if having advisors makes sense, but somehow.

In all seriousness, advisors might be an angle to add the bitizen angle this game is missing compared to Bitbook from TT and the like.

Lowness 72 posted:

I thought they'd recalled the Galaxy Note 7 :stare:

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
It was a Note 4 but I had recently purchased a replacement battery for it (it lasted exactly 2 weeks). However this was an official Samsung battery, sold by Amazon (not a 3rd party). Samsung actually sends you to Amazon to buy batteries for it. I'm hoping Samsung will replace the phone. Just sent it off today.

Gibbering Madness
Nov 7, 2009

69 69 69 68
Game runs great with the latest patch, no long experiencing any stuttering on Nexus 6p.

Have you guys considered adding something like Civilization's wonders to the game? Big unique buildings that give cool bonuses, like an Empire State building that grants a multiplier to business income, Eiffel Tower giving bonuses to services, etc. Maybe they would be locked to certain levels to fit the flavor of that real life city? Unlock them and they're permanently in that city for future prestiges.

The unlock progression could be something like the rare train/plane parts in your previous games. Gain 10x rare building pieces from quests/container ships/whatever to build the wonder. Could be cool to have more long term stuff to work for.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see ever being really tempted to spend bucks just for the random upgrade on a lot, but I could see myself doing it if I could spend bucks to get a specific building on a lot instead.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hey, just a quick note of appreciation: I LOVE how the double-speed timer only counts down while I'm actively playing. If that was changed to count down even while I'm outside of the game, that would be terrible. Please don't change it.

Activating it, leaving the game and coming back in ~3 hours and still having around 10 minutes of double-time is really, really great.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

The optimizations seem to be working in the latest build; my phone isn't getting hot with too much traffic on screen. Car motion seems different, a little smoother?

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Why has the cargo ship become even more hideously expensive? What's so good about it?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

They added a new plane (blimp) and boat (sailboat) and redid the prices. I agree, though - 6.21t for the 4th boat is pretty drat steep and that's after the discounts I've already bought.

unless I've lost it and blimp/sailboat were always there :confused:

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 29, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

What, in general, is everyone's favourite thing to buy with bux, outside of the quick fast-track things in the time menu?

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I'm sticking to the ones that increase the number of keys you get for now. When I bought that upgrade the first time it applied to the keys I already had so I want to bump it a couple more times before I prestige.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
My Pension Pig is at ~22,000 bucks. I wanna smash it...but I have a personal rule about consumable IAP purchases :negative:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I've been playing this a couple days but I have no idea what power does. The bux upgrade and coin upgrade for power generation don't seem to do anything.

Also 90% of this game is filling plots of land and it's like the most boring thing you do. Otherwise I dig this.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Lot prices seem to go up way too quickly. I'm on Dusty Plains, I bought two large lots, and now buying a small lot is 3.50 Million, and a large one is 14.03 Million.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

CaptainCaveman posted:

Lot prices seem to go up way too quickly. I'm on Dusty Plains, I bought two large lots, and now buying a small lot is 3.50 Million, and a large one is 14.03 Million.

Yeah it's kinda annoying. When I start a new city I always power level the large lots so there's a lot of waiting around. Then when I'm near the end I pop down a ton of smaller ones at once. It's not an especially interesting gameplay loop.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Xtanstic posted:

Yeah it's kinda annoying. When I start a new city I always power level the large lots so there's a lot of waiting around. Then when I'm near the end I pop down a ton of smaller ones at once. It's not an especially interesting gameplay loop.

On the other hand, I tried doing small lots first a few times to see how it went, and it just ends up screwing you over -- since you'll have more lots before you start getting the big ones, their build times will become a huge chokepoint for upgrading any later large lots. I figured wind power might offer an incentive to getting more buildings or something, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all.

Really, large lots just seem strictly better in every case I've seen so far. Yeah, you can use them to tweak your percentages, but that's about it. Might need some tweaking to keep it interesting.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Kraven Moorhed posted:

On the other hand, I tried doing small lots first a few times to see how it went, and it just ends up screwing you over -- since you'll have more lots before you start getting the big ones, their build times will become a huge chokepoint for upgrading any later large lots. I figured wind power might offer an incentive to getting more buildings or something, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all.

Really, large lots just seem strictly better in every case I've seen so far. Yeah, you can use them to tweak your percentages, but that's about it. Might need some tweaking to keep it interesting.

Yeah too many advantages to the large lots. They are actually too cheap, the cost for one is the same as a small lot (n+1) and it should be (n+4). Also the build times should be 4x as long as a small lot of the same level. Fixing those these might balance things out.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

With the large lot tax they earn a disproportionate amount as well, small lots are an inconsequential blip on your income once you've unlocked that upgrade. A similar bonus for small lots that brings them closer to 1/4 the income (instead of 1/50 or so like they are now) would probably help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

My current strategy in City 7 is all small residential and large services and business mixed to keep the large buildings all at High Demand for a 10% bonus.

I get a noticeable economy hit when I accidentally go past the balance point and need to build some more housing.

• Locked thread