Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Falldamage ist still absurd.Geralt Is a hyper agile mutant,not a frail glass boned grandpa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
It is pretty funny when I kill some huge fierce monster and then promptly fall off a cliff and die.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
You can usually just mash the circle button as you're falling, in what I assume is an abstraction of tucking and rolling.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
What does that translate to on PC? Dodge roll?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Just the dodge button. Actually now that I think of it maybe that's why, maybe the game gives you invincibility frames even while falling. Of course a big enough fall still kills you so probably not...

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Or don't mash a button and instead just not get hurt? :shrug:

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Falldamage ist still absurd.Geralt Is a hyper agile mutant,not a frail glass boned grandpa.

One of those legs was rendered to glass.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
There's something to be said of no fall damage. Other than speeding up an already loooong game where fall damage serves no real productive purpose, I felt like a complete badass when on the main quest of B&W the Duchess and Geralt ran to the gardens to find the clues, she points out the two things Geralt has to go recover, and then he promptly just jumps over the balcony railing and drops 50 feet to land in a crouch, then run straight to recover the unicorn horn.

Just looked really cool. :c00lbert:

I've swapped back to the Steam controller after the race, and yeah, I am using basically the default CDPR setup but with the right pad set to Mouse Joystick and the back triggers set to run on the right and mousewheel up (fast sign toggle) on the left. I didn't bother with any fancy bindings because I tried one that turned the left pad into a context menu and such but it ended up just being really cumbersome and you needed to hold the back button while pressing face buttons just to draw your sword and such, and it was super annoying. It was also hard to drink potions, though I'm finding the Steam controller seems to love randomly switching my top potion back and forth for no reason, even when I'm not touching either face button. No clue why. Ran the diagnostic and the controller passed and isn't broken, I think it's just sketchy support in W3.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Within the context of creating a game, naturally. I ain't saying all you guys had to do was push 2 keys and out pops a fully realised quest chain with no bugs or whatever.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I like that there's no fall damage for hitting water from a great height. The jump off the bridge at Kaer Trolde is pretty awesome.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol if you never jump off the kaer trolde bridge every time

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fuzz posted:

My Mod List:

Hey big THANKS for this post goonsire :tipshat: it's making my witcher experience much more streamlined

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I'm debating adding another one, namely the one that lets you have more than one Mutation active just because some of them are too awesome to not always use (Freezing Aard, for one) plus there's a good one that makes Bloodlust a little more useful to actually take. (ups the top end damage to compete with the toxicity one)

I dunno, I only just got Mutations and don't really see myself using many of the others for this build, plus it's a complete pain in the rear end to respec them and toy around with them, especially any that require red mutagens. We'll see.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The fall damage isn't the issue, it's that the climbing controls are quirky at best, so you're more likely to get killed trying to climb the side wall of a ruined fort or dodge a harpy on a mountain than by a screaming, horrific noonwraith with an army of normal wraiths to back her up. It's not exactly "you can get shot 20 times, but if you wade into shallow water for more than 3 seconds, your GTA dude drowns," or anything, it just makes you sigh when you engage with height.

Fortunately, the climbing requirements in the game are fairly minimal and it doesn't usually put you on a cliff, so it's a pretty minor issue.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Something cool that I haven't encountered before. I was walking through a town when this weird tax collector rolled up on me. Says I got too much money from undeclared income. Starts asking me if I killed a bunch of bovines or stole some pearls or jacked people's poo poo from their homes. At the end, he's so taken aback that I didn't cheat I guess that he give me a certificate declaring to the world that I am Geralt, The White Wolf, Honest tax payer.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Spikeguy posted:

Something cool that I haven't encountered before. I was walking through a town when this weird tax collector rolled up on me. Says I got too much money from undeclared income. Starts asking me if I killed a bunch of bovines or stole some pearls or jacked people's poo poo from their homes. At the end, he's so taken aback that I didn't cheat I guess that he give me a certificate declaring to the world that I am Geralt, The White Wolf, Honest tax payer.

I had to read about that one: apparently, his first two references are to exploits that existed before patches allowing you to get a lot of money in White Orchard, and the third one is something that, reasonably speaking, everybody has done. As long as you answer "No," to 2 out of 3, you get the certificate. I think the only time the game gets more self-referential is during the quest where Geralt gets the chance to ask Roach how it is that he can cross oceans when he whistles, but gets caught on tiny fences.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Bicyclops posted:

I had to read about that one: apparently, his first two references are to exploits that existed before patches allowing you to get a lot of money in White Orchard, and the third one is something that, reasonably speaking, everybody has done. As long as you answer "No," to 2 out of 3, you get the certificate. I think the only time the game gets more self-referential is during the quest where Geralt gets the chance to ask Roach how it is that he can cross oceans when he whistles, but gets caught on tiny fences.

Which quest is that last one, because I don't think I've seen it yet.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I think it's in Blood And Wine? I've heard of a quest where that's likely to happen but never encountered it myself.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's in Blood and Wine, and it's honestly easy to miss. I don't think it's marked by a point of interest, but it's in a tiny settlement North of some crossroads. I found it while I was trying to clear the quest has like 9 inter-connected bandit camps, which you can pick up from a notice board in Blood and Wine's main city, Beauclair. One of the greatest things about it is that the person who gives you the quest openly tells you that she can't afford to pay you, but you can still open the bartering bar to settle on exactly how many potatoes she will give you.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Yup, on the map it's northeast of Dun Tynne Crossroads, northwest of Banse Farm, little buildings on the map with no point of interest marked. Quest has a good and unusual ending too.

Just finished Blood and Wine. Interesting ride. I kinda felt annoyed by the fact that the final boss had an attack that was a one-hit-kill if you didn't have Quen up or dodge in time, though! Even if you have Quen up it reduces you to 30% health.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Up to Act 1 in my replay of Witcher 2 and it's holding up pretty well and has some fun moments I'd forgotten about :

Margot from the local brothel proceeding to mock the put upon guard who is just trying to entertain the locals with a hanging is pretty great too.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Geralt: Able to snowboard down the side of W3 equivalent to Mt. Everest. Murdered the gently caress out of by a ten foot drop.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Up to Act 1 in my replay of Witcher 2 and it's holding up pretty well and has some fun moments I'd forgotten about :

Margot from the local brothel proceeding to mock the put upon guard who is just trying to entertain the locals with a hanging is pretty great too.

That scene is doubly funny when it turns out that the things Dandelion and Zoltan were accused were totally true

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

That scene is doubly funny when it turns out that the things Dandelion and Zoltan were accused were totally true

I actually feel bad for the thief, he probably thought he was gonna be saved after all when Geralt beat up the executioner and then, welp!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

bewilderment posted:

Just finished Blood and Wine. Interesting ride. I kinda felt annoyed by the fact that the final boss had an attack that was a one-hit-kill if you didn't have Quen up or dodge in time, though! Even if you have Quen up it reduces you to 30% health.

Him, the tourney horse race, the weather wizard (and gang) from Heart of Stone, and the Blood and Wine quest with the elf wizards are definitely, hands down, the hardest stuff in the game, I think. Like each one of them is worlds harder than anything else.

With the BaW endboss, it's not just that the bats break through Quen, either, it's that the way to dodge them involves really watching the guy and sprinting out of their way. Unless I was really missing my timing, dodging doesn't work. He feels weirdly like he's not a Witcher boss, but I'm sort of okay with it, because the lore makes that work, and being that he's (close to) the last thing you'll ever fight, it's fitting that he should be hard, even if you've sort of mastered the way combat works.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Oh man, I love how they completely take the piss out of the collectable cards from Witcher 1.

CD Projekt Red is amazing. :allears:

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Bicyclops posted:

Him, the tourney horse race, the weather wizard (and gang) from Heart of Stone, and the Blood and Wine quest with the elf wizards are definitely, hands down, the hardest stuff in the game, I think. Like each one of them is worlds harder than anything else.

With the BaW endboss, it's not just that the bats break through Quen, either, it's that the way to dodge them involves really watching the guy and sprinting out of their way. Unless I was really missing my timing, dodging doesn't work. He feels weirdly like he's not a Witcher boss, but I'm sort of okay with it, because the lore makes that work, and being that he's (close to) the last thing you'll ever fight, it's fitting that he should be hard, even if you've sort of mastered the way combat works.

That swarm attack is executed very poorly because if he swoops to an edge of the arena and does it from there, it's possible to avoid damage altogether. If he decides to spew bats in the middle however, you're taking damage whether you like it or not. If it was designed to go through quen and fleet-footed to enforce rolling away then at least make it consistent.

I found fighting four archespores attacking from different angles required more attention than say, fighting fancy cossack man both times (Dancing Star stunlocks and melts all of his nightmare clones) or winning the B&W warehouse fight. Still, at least they felt better than beating up Eredin.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Bicyclops posted:

The tourney race is super easy because time slows down plenty when you aim a crossbow and you can miss one or two dummies and still win.

Random thing noticed:

A vampire contract in the base game that's named Sarasti feels like an intentional reference but a relatively obscure one, given most of the other references in the game are pretty obvious.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 30, 2017

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Within the context of creating a game, naturally. I ain't saying all you guys had to do was push 2 keys and out pops a fully realised quest chain with no bugs or whatever.

Yeah, but it's super abstract. By the time we realized that Iorveth's quest wasn't working (he was actually a secondary character in a much bigger story about the war) it was way too late to add something new. About the only thing we'd have had time to do would have been to put his dead body somewhere with a note, which was suggested. I think that would have been a pretty poor conclusion to his story, so it was better to just leave him unresolved.

For an idea of what we need to do to even add a small quest. First I need to draft the quest in paper, get approval from quest lead and the director. This can actually take a couple of weeks, longer if the quest is important. Level design, environment art, character art, audio, cinematics, animation all need to get asset requests. For a small quest I'd try to avoid making more than one new character request, more than 2-3 locations. Some of the assets will go to outsource, most will be done in house.

While that's taking place (months and months of work) the quest and story teams draft the quest. This can take a while, since a lot of stuff that works on paper doesn't work in game, for many many possible reasons.

Once story is done, the text goes to localization (our writers all write in PL). From there lines are translated into a dozen languages, then sent to the studio to get actors to perform them. Those lines flow back to audio and cinematics, who put them into the game and make sure they sound right.

Meanwhile QA and quest bug-fix and iterate on the quest, basically until we ship. This includes bugs of course, but also general feedback. During this phase entire locations might be moved or redone, characters change, etc, and each team needs to respond to each change. So if QA realizes that we made a mistake and *actually* this character shouldn't say this or this... also he should have a red sash instead of a blue one... also his house is in a swamp and it needs to be in the forest... etc. Each of those changes means that different teams need to jump in. Textual changes are particularly nasty because it means literally hundreds of people, producers, translators, managers, actors, directors, audio technicians, cinematic artists, etc, all have to deal with it.

So I mean, in the super abstract, yes, you are right. Giving Iorveth his own side quest wouldn't have been hard. Actually, we gave him a huge quest and multiple side quests and it was even playable*. But it got cut and it wouldn't have been simple to replace it at that stage of the project. :)

*Asterix to remind you that as a dev, my definition of playable is not the same as yours. No one who hasn't worked in gamedev really has any idea how janky and ugly games are until very very late in development.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I had hoped for some sort of mention during Hearts of Stone that a certain one eyed elf that Geralt already knew had also cut a deal with Master Mirror. Seems like a thing he would have done after 2.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

I don't suppose you're allowed to share the actual plot details of the cut quest?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

It's nice you didn't kill him off, he probably chills with Isengrim and other outcasts in Zerrikania and tries to find an amicable dragon..

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Yeah, but it's super abstract. By the time we realized that Iorveth's quest wasn't working (he was actually a secondary character in a much bigger story about the war) it was way too late to add something new. About the only thing we'd have had time to do would have been to put his dead body somewhere with a note, which was suggested. I think that would have been a pretty poor conclusion to his story, so it was better to just leave him unresolved.

Did many of the issues stem from having to write around all the possible results of Iorveth from Witcher 2?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Fuzz posted:

I had hoped for some sort of mention during Hearts of Stone that a certain one eyed elf that Geralt already knew had also cut a deal with Master Mirror. Seems like a thing he would have done after 2.

I never played Witcher 2, do they explain his missing eye? If not I assume he got a wooden spoon shoved into it.

This is a pretty cool look into the day to day of game development that I guess I never really thought of before. Thanks for the insight!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
drat. I am missing 1 Gwent card in Velen, it is the Wyvern card, which accordign to gwentcards.com is a card that can be randomly won from craftsment or merchants.
I have just freed the swordsmith in Mulbrydale, when I go to play him, he has the gwent lien not greyed out. I.e. I never played him.
So far I played and relaoded 3 times: 1. won nails, 2. won parchment, 3. won amber.

WTF any ideas what I can do except for play quests and come back later?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
If it's marked as missing in Velen then it's not a card you randomly win from games with merchants and craftsmen. It might be one of the cards sold by an innkeeper or a merchant in distress, those are pretty easy to miss.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Yes yes, but Triss or Yen?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Dr Cheeto posted:

If it's marked as missing in Velen then it's not a card you randomly win from games with merchants and craftsmen. It might be one of the cards sold by an innkeeper or a merchant in distress, those are pretty easy to miss.

HA! Turns out it was the one you win from the Master Armorsmith after you finish her quest.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I'm glad you found it, that Skelliger armorer lady owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Any opinions on the Ghost Mode overhaul mod?