Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Level 3 bard randomly removes votes and makes me a triple voter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Also, it did preclude me from using a night action.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
tried to jail murder BK and I didn't get any sort of response at all.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
also sorry for not posting much over the weekend. Tales of Berseria came out and I managed to put in 30 hours or so but that didn't leave much time for that.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
i am now level 5 and have all terrain types making my action even more hard to predict

i geomanced pera last night but have no idea what it did, just that it succeeded

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

IllegallySober posted:

There's several people (including myself) that need to do more posting today.

I should be around quite a bit, I hope.

That would be nice. I'm not really expecting it though.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Now that we are three nights in, potentially there are people who could have cleared out a job and started a new one.

What are people's thoughts on claiming? I know some of us already have and I've been tight-lipped on mine because early on I didn't think it made a lot of sense to reveal it, but I'm starting to think at this point it may be more beneficial than not.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
HEY GUESS WHO JUST GOT A loving PM FROM CPIG SAYING HE MISSED MY ACTION

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Cpig if you hate me playing FF Mafia so much just tell me I won't join jeez :argh:

Anyway I got told my action succeeded but my target already has the same effect so I didn't get to ask my question or kill him. NEAT.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
my new actions include another bus drive, another roleblock, an assassin vig, and a juggernaut vig

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Absurd Revolver posted:

my new actions include another bus drive, another roleblock, an assassin vig, and a juggernaut vig

This is sounding more and more like a scum picked a scum role

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Kashuno posted:

HEY GUESS WHO JUST GOT A loving PM FROM CPIG SAYING HE MISSED MY ACTION

You sure seem to have some bad luck in this game. :raise:

Kashuno posted:

Cpig if you hate me playing FF Mafia so much just tell me I won't join jeez :argh:

Anyway I got told my action succeeded but my target already has the same effect so I didn't get to ask my question or kill him. NEAT.

Aren't you the jailer/kill guy? Your target had the same effect- so you're saying somebody else jailed them before you could?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

IllegallySober posted:

You sure seem to have some bad luck in this game. :raise:

Yeah I seem to have bad luck in FF games period. Last game cpig didn't list my HP so everyone immediately lynched me. It feels like it is on purpose :(

IllegallySober posted:

Aren't you the jailer/kill guy? Your target had the same effect- so you're saying somebody else jailed them before you could?

yep

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Kashuno posted:

Yeah I seem to have bad luck in FF games period. Last game cpig didn't list my HP so everyone immediately lynched me. It feels like it is on purpose :(

And you flipped scum that game, too. Worked out just fine, as far as I was concerned.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

IllegallySober posted:

And you flipped scum that game, too. Worked out just fine, as far as I was concerned.

Not as far as I was concerned though!!! killed by mechanics :(

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

IllegallySober posted:

Now that we are three nights in, potentially there are people who could have cleared out a job and started a new one.

What are people's thoughts on claiming? I know some of us already have and I've been tight-lipped on mine because early on I didn't think it made a lot of sense to reveal it, but I'm starting to think at this point it may be more beneficial than not.

Wait, the scum already know all of the roles, right? So by sharing role information, we are helping town be more informed. And since everyone has role(s), it shouldn't really change scum targetting. Role stuff should totally be on the table.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Grandicap posted:

Wait, the scum already know all of the roles, right? So by sharing role information, we are helping town be more informed. And since everyone has role(s), it shouldn't really change scum targetting. Role stuff should totally be on the table.

Early on I didn't believe it made sense to share too much role info because potentially scum could pick off people going for jobs that got much more powerful at higher levels. Now, though, I think we are deep enough into the game that we should be able to draw a pretty good picture of where everything's at (and potentially catch people lying about actions they took).

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

Kashuno posted:

This is sounding more and more like a scum picked a scum role

it is basically a role full of random scum actions

all of which can hit me instead at random

and yet I love it

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I'm still all for sharing info. There were several people including Tobbs who were against it previously.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Grandi, have you caught up? Thoughts on scum?

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

King Burgundy posted:

Grandi, have you caught up? Thoughts on scum?

5 pages in, not caught up, reading now though.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

King Burgundy posted:

I'm still all for sharing info. There were several people including Tobbs who were against it previously.

At this juncture I have no problem doing it but I think if we decide to, everyone needs to.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

King Burgundy posted:

Should I share everything?

Like the fact that level 5 monk can reflect night actions on their users and that Ranger gets a 2-shot track at level 1?

I'm for it at this point lol

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Should I share everything?

Like the fact that level 5 monk can reflect night actions on their users and that Ranger gets a 2-shot track at level 1?

I'm for it at this point lol

this is weird considering how strongly against it tobbs was.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Kashuno posted:

this is weird considering how strongly against it tobbs was.

It's because I felt compelled to share the most dangerous one already, that level 1 bards are double voters and level 3 bards are triple voters.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Wait, why does tobbs know so much? I haven't gotten there yet.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Grandicap posted:

Wait, why does tobbs know so much? I haven't gotten there yet.

I was just doing the math on this. It's quite possible if he just chose ranger now. But why did you choose now instead of waiting to see the last crystal's jobs, Tobbs?

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

The way he dropped it I assumed it was as a taste of his info, not the total of it. That makes sense.

Grandi Progress: page 9 and still reading.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Thief 1 - Yoink, take 5 CP from another player
Thief 3 - 1-shot Nexus
Geomancer - one shot terrain (random effect as AR described, chance to backfire). Gain another shot at 3, as well as increasing the number of different random effects possible. Another shot and more possible effects at 5.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Absurd Revolver posted:

Kashuno posted:

What's jerkcity

good answer

u scum?

Joke post.

Event 1 Response, first person to decisively vote after Bif recommends A. Nobody really talks about the vote and just votes their conscious or their conscious' bandwagon.

Absurd Revolver posted:

once again the impulsive quick vote is the right choice

also KB you have made yourself out to be the self-serious mafia overlord lately so that might be why?

Rationale for the above Event 1 vote and then jokephase content wrt KB from day 1 most of which went right over my head; I leave interpretation of jokephase content to the rest of you.

Absurd Revolver posted:

I have no idea who to vote for after reading all 12 pages of this day 1

Absurd Revolver posted:

to be fair, once again i'm dealing with the consequences of living in florida and we have another massive storm(this time, maybe tornados) bearing down on us

"A rare "high risk" severe weather outlook was issued on the morning of Jan. 22 by NOAA's Storm Prediction Center (SPC). This was the first high risk severe weather outlook to be issued by SPC since June 3, 2014, which gives an idea of how unusual they are, though the number of severe reports and tornadoes on Jan. 22 were less than expected." (https://weather.com/storms/tornado/news/severe-weather-forecast-south-high-risk-tornadoes-january-2017) - this checks the gently caress out tho for real

Absurd Revolver posted:

lot to unpack here

probably put together a solid effort case in the morning, but i for one did not pick up a job on day 1

also lol i can't believe i survived that massacre

"Didn't pick a job day 1" claim followed by a noncommittal promise of a solid effort case which never materializes.

Absurd Revolver posted:

i didn't pick one because i wanted to wait for a better job before spending CP, isn't that how the system works?

Technically speaking, this isn't as big a misunderstanding of the rules as I originally believed. When we take jobs day 1 and then use our abilities, we become level 3, which adds 3 CP to the cost of changing jobs per the original rules of the game at the time of this post. (This rule has since been discarded.) Think about how limited your CP pool has made you so far, town players: I've always had more than enough. AR had no way of knowing this was going to be the case, town or scum, and the fact that - presuming honesty - he's thinking outside the box hoping for more CP and taking a risk, this is exactly AR as I have known him. I want to suggest that consciously pooling remains scum behavior, but that may not have been as apparent.

Event 3 response - Like myself, AR missed event 2 entirely. His is the second vote for option A, following IS.

Absurd Revolver posted:

(8:38 PM) sorry i basically dropped out from posting, lots of stuff happened at once over the last couple of days and we're also in the middle of moving

After wildly misunderstanding how the CP and job system even works, I surprise everyone with a sincere effort case on my good friend AR. I point out to town that IS didn't bitch about me stealing from him (though Mr. F surely did - so that's inconclusive) but I may have just beaten him to the punch. AR responds:

Absurd Revolver posted:

(9:02 PM) i actually did take a job, just now

Absurd Revolver posted:

(10:45 PM) also i'm a geomancer

It has become apparent that town players should do what they can not to claim their current job. That is how scum knows what to anticipate. However, intel on what the job abilities do is highly valuable to town. The valuable information is the abilities, not which job. Here, AR gives town and scum players the exact wrong information from town's perspective. Only after receiving a vote from Bif does he remember to give town the information we actually want:

Absurd Revolver posted:

(11:27 PM) oh right

so i got to pick three terrain types which equal different abilities

every night i have 1/2 a chance to jail my target, 1/4 of a chance to turn them into a lightning rod, and 1/4 of a chance to jail/lightning rod myself

Absurd Revolver posted:

(11:29 PM) i chose Underwater(Jail), Cave(Jail), and Sky(Lightning Rod) in case anyone else wants to go for this class

I'm not certain it matters much, but there's a small discrepancy here - AR informs us of the Geomancer's level 1 abilities as a result of his terrain choices, and even offers this helpful clarification. Geomancer looks like an RNG-heavy nightmare. The sort of class that fits AR imo. Underwater and Cave together buff his initial chance to successfully jail his target; Sky gives him a 1/4 chance to make them into a lightning rod; and he begins with a backfire option: one of his abilities used on himself. Geomancer.

Absurd Revolver posted:

(12:06PM) my scumpinion for today is this is a stickup, just based on how people have voted/unvoted on them

i always get suspicious of people who have so many votes that ended up being non-commital

otherwise, i need more time to come up with a real and juicy read because life is a chaotic pit filled with more chaotic pits the farther you fall

AR glances at votefinder, comes up with a totally valid though perhaps unsound player to target. The first individual named in one of AR's game posts, and last night, stickup flipped town.

Absurd Revolver posted:

yeah i'm not gonna be around for deadline

##vote moat

this isn't the best vote but a no-lynch after what happened n1 is scary

He then totes voats Mote because there's a bandwagon forming, and like I've been saying since day 1.

Absurd Revolver posted:

Bifauxnen posted:

##vote Moat

goodnight sweet prince

(unless we nl again of course)

(and you also survive the black mage apocalypse)

(12:13AM Thurs) i'm planning to use my action on myself either i get jailed or i absorb every kill at once and am a hero

AR presents his plan to survive the expected n2 Black Mage Apocalypse or die in a blaze of glory. (Tangent: could he have known Chaos was using his ability that night? The two operating together would be particularly gruesome in this combination. AR makes this post as a "townie" breadcrumb, Chaos makes all abilities fail.)

Absurd Revolver posted:

(10:30 PMmy action sadly failed

now I have two more shots, with bus drive, roleblock, and poison vig added to my roulette

so 2/7 Jail, 1/7 lightning rod, roleblock, poison vig, bus drive, and that last 1/7 is a backfire of any of them

this is a weird role

Absurd Revolver posted:

(10:32 PM) Btw it was river for bus drive, plains for roleblock, and swamp for poison vig

Continues to share the information he's obligated to share, but doesn't Geomancer look like a hosed up, ridiculous class?

AR votes for the clear winner well after it is. (Grandicap jokevotes)

Absurd Revolver posted:

was busy all day without Internet except in spurts and I was more busy arguing with people about things and lifting poo poo

but f has somehow lurked more than I have and that can't be tolerated

##vote Mr f

Yes. That can't be tolerated, can it? AR hammers Mr. F.

Absurd Revolver posted:

Absurd Revolver posted:

it is basically a role full of random scum actions

all of which can hit me instead at random

and yet I love it

Ladies, gentlemen, and goons: AR is scum. The above represents his entire posting history in the thread. I slightly suspect the "backfire on yourself" element of his Geomancer claim is either fake - or failing that, an exhilarating rush to AR, regardless of alignment. Regardless, it is worth pointing out that this chance has decreased as he's gained in levels: something he would be fully aware of if he had access to that information. His job is full of what, by his own admission, are "scum actions," and absolutely, AR, I know you love it.

I suspect you may even have been clever enough to know not to even bother wasting the CP on the original jobs, even if you could get an extra kill, because god drat it, you know these people. You know somebody like stickup is gonna roll BM just because, and you knew what was going to happen when they did. And you loved it. You also know that that extra 5 CP in exchange for a tiny bluff could be the difference between winning and losing for using these Geomancer abilities after you switch jobs.

Night 3 - stickup dies and only stickup dies. AR claims to have targeted me and for it to have been successful. My guess? Stickup became a lightning rod, and died in a blaze of glory as almost all of the abilities used last night targeted him. Would anyone care to attempt to disprove this? AR does have other abilities that would've killed stickup. But he took aim at me knowing what was going to happen. Either I wasn't going to do it, or I was.

AR knows exactly what I did last night. Don't you, buddy? Pretty nice trick. And you know me well enough to know that I definitely used that 1-shot Nexus N2. You knew I was lying about only being level 4. Or you missed the statement entirely. Can't wait to read whatever does actually exist in the scumdoc.

Thief abilities are as follows, and require a certain amount of subterfuge to be used effectively: 1) Steal 5 CP from anyone. 3) 1-shot Nexus. 5) "Ultimate Thief" - a one-shot chance to hide behind somebody and they'll take any actions directed at you. You knew I was wrong about stickup and was gonna dive on him last night. So you targeted me and your action was successful. You sacrificed Mr. F, and then you used your advance knowledge of role abilities to take an honest stab at me or, if you were really right, me and, I assume, nobody else on the scum team bothered using a limited-use ability last night.

Town: If I am right about AR, I believe that if any claiming is to be done, the entire history of a person's night actions must accompany that claim. N2 claims are largely worthless - save for Chaos. I believe with all of that information.

##vote Absurd Revolver, beloved friend, brilliant adversary, incredible liar, and at the very least, a lurker.

And if this is right, bless you CPig, for goddamn once I got to be town and yet still lie my rear end off to secure victory.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Geomancy can backfire, I can confirm that much, as well as the terrain choices doing what AR said. I agree with your case (I had AR on my short list yesterday, nothing has changed), but I did confirm his job info, on the off chance he was scum lying stupidly. Although I never received odds like he gave, I was just told it has a small chance to backfire.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Mithross posted:

Geomancy can backfire, I can confirm that much, as well as the terrain choices doing what AR said. I agree with your case (I had AR on my short list yesterday, nothing has changed), but I did confirm his job info, on the off chance he was scum lying stupidly. Although I never received odds like he gave, I was just told it has a small chance to backfire.

Isn't that damning? If he has role info above and beyond with what info people who picked the job got?

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
mafia edits; couple sentences lost their endings as I went through multiple drafts:

"...may not have been as apparent." --> "as apparent at that time."

"...and like I've been saying since day 1." --> "since day 1, town should not take the odds on obeying the Never No Lynch.

"I believe with all of that information." --> "information, the game may become solvable by town. But I don't believe it's there yet."

I might've missed a few others. Point 'em out to me and I'll correct myself. Sorry - kinda going senile on these pills; spent all my "morning energy" on this grand case because the second stickup died I loving knew my gambit had worked.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Pera and Mith, I can't reply to everything right now but while we're here I can confirm what both of you said in regards to Thief class.

I was the third Thief and did not claim. I stole 5 CP from Mr. F N1 and had 5 CP stolen from me, which Pera claimed to do to me (so I netted nothing).

I used my one-shot Nexus N2.

Last night I hid behind Pera.

I have not selected a new class yet.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Grandicap posted:

Isn't that damning? If he has role info above and beyond with what info people who picked the job got?

Yeah, that seems bad to me.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I'll be around off and on throughout the day because beating my buddy at our own favorite game like this would be incredible.

fake edit: LMFAO IS NICE but please lowercase my p in the future thank you. Sorry you blew your ult the same turn I did.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

peramene posted:

fake edit: LMFAO IS NICE but please lowercase my p in the future thank you. Sorry you blew your ult the same turn I did.

Lower-case p, noted, sorry :(

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

IllegallySober posted:

Pera and Mith, I can't reply to everything right now but while we're here I can confirm what both of you said in regards to Thief class.

I was the third Thief and did not claim. I stole 5 CP from Mr. F N1 and had 5 CP stolen from me, which Pera claimed to do to me (so I netted nothing).

I used my one-shot Nexus N2.

Last night I hid behind Pera.

I have not selected a new class yet.

This one post changes a few things.

Either IS is lying or I did steal from BK, and he never bothered to confirm it, even when I claimed thief, and stole from him, and we discussed thief actions for quite awhile, allowing town to assume a redirect happened. This makes me much more suspicious of BK (and a little more suspicious of IS, but BK has been the scummier of the two)

If you hid behind Pera, who hid behind stickup, then whatever killed stickup could have been aimed at you instead of pera

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Mithross posted:

This one post changes a few things.

Either IS is lying or I did steal from BK, and he never bothered to confirm it, even when I claimed thief, and stole from him, and we discussed thief actions for quite awhile, allowing town to assume a redirect happened. This makes me much more suspicious of BK (and a little more suspicious of IS, but BK has been the scummier of the two)

If you hid behind Pera, who hid behind stickup, then whatever killed stickup could have been aimed at you instead of pera

I purposely did not claim Thief during that discussion of BK because I wanted to see where that conversation went.

Okay, really gotta put my phone away at work. Back later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Already claimed my other stuff:

Changed to Viking. Can go berserk, at level 1 This does nothing, vig, or roleblock to a random target.
N3: Berserk'd

At level 3 it adds Bodyguard and Redirect as possible outcomes.

• Locked thread