Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

He's still around. I assume he just hasn't been feeling up to doing an LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Siegkrow posted:

Hey anybody knows what happened to speedball? Last I knew of him was making an lp of endless legend. Seems like a nice chap and I usually saw him posting around the same threads I lurked in.

Normally I wouldn't ask around for particular goons, but from the XCOM 2 LP we know he is depressive and that with his dissapearance is a bit worrying.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=134545

"Last Post
Jan 22, 2017 12:57 PM"

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Well that takess a load off my mind :]

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Siegkrow posted:

Hey anybody knows what happened to speedball? Last I knew of him was making an lp of endless legend. Seems like a nice chap and I usually saw him posting around the same threads I lurked in.

Normally I wouldn't ask around for particular goons, but from the XCOM 2 LP we know he is depressive and that with his dissapearance is a bit worrying.

I'm alive and well, though I had to take a big-rear end break from anything creative for a while and I'm still not back at 100%. Sorry to worry you. I post quite regularly in other threads.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Speedball posted:

I'm alive and well, though I had to take a big-rear end break from anything creative for a while and I'm still not back at 100%. Sorry to worry you. I post quite regularly in other threads.

Not to pressure you to pick up your LP or anything, I'm just curious: did you ever get the Tempest expansion for Endless Legends? It adds some pretty cool stuff to the game, and I think that'd be a fun thing for you to play with if you're feeling down.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Not to pressure you to pick up your LP or anything, I'm just curious: did you ever get the Tempest expansion for Endless Legends? It adds some pretty cool stuff to the game, and I think that'd be a fun thing for you to play with if you're feeling down.

I did! and it's both awesome and very game-changing. Instead of just being a barrier the ocean is now this dangerous place full of opportunity and pirates. I totally suck playing as the fishmen though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Speedball posted:

I did! and it's both awesome and very game-changing. Instead of just being a barrier the ocean is now this dangerous place full of opportunity and pirates. I totally suck playing as the fishmen though.

Glad to hear it! I haven't touched the fishmen yet because I'm still obsessed with the allayi, but the world feels way more alive with the oceans actually doing things - makes me wish Civ would've done something similar, but eh, discussion for another thread.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Speedball posted:

Have you tried the Long War 2 mod?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Siegkrow posted:

Have you tried the Long War 2 mod?

Yeah, but it's not very friendly with my computer. Everything gets all laggy and some of the functions don't kick in. I think LW2 doesn't like OSX.

Need to join the PC Master Race eventually...

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Test for a run for FF5r, since I'm honestly amazed one doesn't exist already.
http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=146548

I'm mostly concerned about general coherence. Since it's a romhack LP of a game that was very popular, I'm focusing on the new content rather than bogging down on the plot everyone already knows. But maybe this makes it too disjointed?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mandoric posted:

Test for a run for FF5r, since I'm honestly amazed one doesn't exist already.
http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=146548

I'm mostly concerned about general coherence. Since it's a romhack LP of a game that was very popular, I'm focusing on the new content rather than bogging down on the plot everyone already knows. But maybe this makes it too disjointed?

I think you can safely assume that anyone who'd read this would be familiar with vanilla FF5. You can put some links to previous LPs in the OP just in case.

Otherwise it looks good and I'll be following it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Some awkward sentences here and there but as a big FF5 fan this looks crazy interesting to me and I'd definitely follow such an LP.

And yeah, focus on the mechanics, nobody's going to read a ROM hack LP for the plot.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Thanks for the input! I'll definitely work on clarity and flow; honestly, part of my motivation to do an LP is some much-needed rehab on long-form nonfiction in English.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I too look forward to this.

Minor things that I'd see as room for improvement would be to make non-game pictures the same width as the game screens (like Carbuncle).

Also, there is some other thing to improve, but I can't really articulate it well. Earlier on you do images side by side in lieu of gifs (the egg chop and the Kaiser Dragon's attacks) then later with Kraken its stacked. So if making gifs is possible I'd hope to see them, but not to go too far out of your way to.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
FYI I've cleared out my inbox - everyone who'd sent me an email about archiving should have a reply by now.

ZopfaMania
Jul 7, 2010

7 Worlds of Wrestling - a Let's Play of Fire Pro Wrestling Returns!

Wanted to post the whole thing in the thread, but figured SSLP would be more considerate. Any feedback so far?

ZopfaMania fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 30, 2017

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Let's Play Bravely Default: Where the Fairy Flies!

Bravely Default is a JRPG currently exclusive to the 3DS, created by small developer Silicon Studio and influenced/published by behemoth company Square Enix (published by Nintendo when released internationally). Though originally intended as a side Final Fantasy title, early in development Silicon Studio decided to make Bravely Default into a brand new franchise, mixing Final Fantasy elements with their own vibe.

What Is This Game About?
Friendship, beating up bad guys, being heroes, avenging destroyed hometowns, and saving shiny crystals.

Widely hailed at its release as being a worthy successor to SNES-era JRPGs, the truth is more rocky. Bravely Default has great strengths -- sweet background art, a lively translation, an upgrade of the Final Fantasy 5 job system, the ability to turn off random encounters -- as well as massive flaws, especially in the latter part of the game.

I can't recommend playing the game unless you are in the mood for melodrama, mind-numbing repitition, and an... awkward ending. Not as strange as a Cavia game, but odd nonetheless.

How Will This LP Work?
This will be 100% screenshots (with a few pieces of concept art) and writing. Focus will be on showing off all major events in the game, within reason, and entries from D's Journal (the in-game encyclopedia).

Spoilers?
No story spoilers. Talking about jobs mechanics is fine, just don't get into where the jobs come from until they're gotten.

--

I saw this was a requested LP, so I'd like to take it on. This'll be my first LP, so -- thoughts?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

You picked a hell of a first Let's Play to do.

Can't really speak for image quality (looks fine to me for an upscaled 3DS game, but I tend to have a bad eye for this sort of thing), but commentary seems fine enough, and you look to have a good balance between screenshots and dialogue during conversations. Lengthy RPGs are generally not the best first LP but multiple people have pulled it off including myself, so might as well try.

I think it looks good!

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
The image quality seems kinda blurry and artifacted to me. The weird x1.75 zoom probably doesn't help. Why not go full x2?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

If a character is speaking several lines, you don''t need to separate it by each tiny jrpg text box. This kind of thing

quote:

Admirable lad. But danger hounds the road to Norende.
That gaping maw has drawn beasts of all stripe to it. It's overrun with monsters.

can just be pulled together into one line, like so

quote:

Admirable lad. But danger hounds the road to Norende. That gaping maw has drawn beasts of all stripe to it. It's overrun with monsters.

(Of course, sometimes you'll want a break between boxes. It all depends on the dialogue.)

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

tiistai posted:

The image quality seems kinda blurry and artifacted to me. The weird x1.75 zoom probably doesn't help. Why not go full x2?

Hrm. I'd tested larger sizes at the start and been unhappy with the blurriness, but checking again now, 2x seems like it might be fine, all considered.

Better?

2x:

In test LP:

Original:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The 2x is noticeably better.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The LP archive has a 900 px width limit on images, so 2x for 3DS games should be fine. Though 1x is also readable from the 3DS LPs I've read.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The 1x is the sharpest and decently readable. I can't tell any difference in blurryness between the 2x and test post image so 2x would be better for bigness/being able to see stuff.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

All right, I'll switch to 2x and merge some of the dialogue as well. Seems like I'll be ready, then.

Thanks, guys!

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

OP
First Post
Workflow

This is my first rodeo, any input before I post the thread would be greatly appreciated. Audacity-related editing advice/tips/tricks would also be fantastic!

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 1, 2017

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Greyarc posted:

Hrm. I'd tested larger sizes at the start and been unhappy with the blurriness, but checking again now, 2x seems like it might be fine, all considered.

Better?

2x:

In test LP:

Original:

If it's blurry, stop using a filter? Take the raw 1x source, rescale 2x using nearest neighbor . Notice the difference.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.
Nearest neighbor works better with older, lower-color pixel art. For modern stuff like this, which has both text antialiasing and a ton of gradients in the backgrounds that were clearly scaled down for resolution, it's kind of a mess.

For what it's worth, I think the 2x picture in the previous post is totally fine.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
A pixelated mess is better than a blurry, artifacted mess, especially when the latter makes the text harder to read. I'd go with nearest neighbor.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

I was going to suggest nearest neighbor last night as it does look better but it is a little annoying due to all the antialiasing.

I don't like filters often but it seems to work for this game, so perhaps try a filter such as waifu2x?

1x

2x default bilinear filter

2x nearest neighbor filter

waifu2x - 2x size, Artwork mode, Low noise reduction

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
The archive is 10 years old today.

I've given the archive a bit of a retro feel for a day, to celebrate!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

drat, that's amazing! Here's to another ten!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
We don't deserve you, baldurk.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

baldurk posted:

The archive is 10 years old today.

You're awesome.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Fedule posted:

Baldurk does amazing work and I'm thankful for it.

(I always go back to the Ultima LPs, the RPG LPs and everything else.)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Archive be praised. I've written a thesis partially based on it.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

baldurk posted:

Can we keep it? :3:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

baldurk posted:

Not enough <blink> tags to be retro. ;)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

berryjon posted:

Not enough <blink> tags to be retro. ;)

You're thinking 90's retro, not 2000's retro. We were already using blink and marquee tags ironically by that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Fedule posted:

MeccaPrime posted:

You're awesome.

Indeed.