Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Ularg posted:

Thanks guys for the Quake help.

Someone on #steamgoons recommended I download 1994tu.wad (1994 tune up) and I was expecting doom/doom 2 reimagined levels, but nope complete unique map set and a saddistic one at that. Oh hey room 2 have a revanant. Last room have two pain elementals, oh and if you dashed for the exit because of those pain elementals LOL baron of hell in the exit room.

Next level: "Oh a chainsaw I want that" hit button, floor sinks instead of chainsaw podium and I'm swarmed by enemies. Never was given that chainsaw.

With that said, oh man those were satisfying levels.
I have noticed that custom mapsets tend to relish in being much more dickishly difficult than the original mapset for whatever reason. Like, many players got too skilled at the game at UV, so they make maps harder than that (but not impossible!) so their desire for some tougher challenge can be sated. The resulting maps sure as poo poo ain't bad, but it does make finding a mapset with a difficulty curve comparable to what id would give you trickier - closest I can think of is Doom/Doom II the Way id Did, honestly.

I may just be venting a bit because I tried Dimension of the Boomed, a mapset heavy on Quake theming, and expected Quake design sensibilities to go with it, only to be thrown up against a Cyberdemon on MAP01 on HMP, in a relatively tight room with plenty of obstructions for his (or your) rockets to hit and cause splash damage to you. Granted, the mapper made it quite possible to escape from the room with the Cyberdemon without killing him, just kind of annoyed with it. (And really, Lord knows I'm probably guilty of dumb difficulty curves too, so.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Shadow Hog posted:

I have noticed that custom mapsets tend to relish in being much more dickishly difficult than the original mapset for whatever reason. Like, many players got too skilled at the game at UV, so they make maps harder than that (but not impossible!) so their desire for some tougher challenge can be sated. The resulting maps sure as poo poo ain't bad, but it does make finding a mapset with a difficulty curve comparable to what id would give you trickier - closest I can think of is Doom/Doom II the Way id Did, honestly.

I may just be venting a bit because I tried Dimension of the Boomed, a mapset heavy on Quake theming, and expected Quake design sensibilities to go with it, only to be thrown up against a Cyberdemon on MAP01 on HMP, in a relatively tight room with plenty of obstructions for his (or your) rockets to hit and cause splash damage to you. Granted, the mapper made it quite possible to escape from the room with the Cyberdemon without killing him, just kind of annoyed with it. (And really, Lord knows I'm probably guilty of dumb difficulty curves too, so.)

While this also annoys me (even more so when it's done with sequels -- if you haven't played Marathon before you can ease into Marathon 2, but if you haven't beaten either of them good loving luck even getting halfway into Marathon Infinity) it probably makes sound sense from the point of view that the only people who are going to be playing custom map sets for game X are dedicated fans of X who have probably invested a good amount of time into becoming proficient and there isn't a compelling need to make it easy for new players. So the mappers just make it as difficult as they themselves are comfortable with.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Black Mesa is crazy good. The level of polish is just obscene. The biggest issue with it is the AI is a bit too responsive, I remember I downloaded some sort of mod that dialed them back to more HL1-esque standards

The BMS devs put out a patch last year to make the AI a bit less deadly, which can only be a good thing. I'm really looking forward to Xen since they've done so well capturing the feel of the original levels and making hauntingly similar views while making them feel much more realistic. The biggest complaint I had was how they turned On A Rail from a slower-paced limited exploration chapter into an action-packed chase sequence, even though it was really well done.

Shadow Hog posted:

(And really, Lord knows I'm probably guilty of dumb difficulty curves too, so.)

I just played your DUMP 2 level a week ago, so I'd agree with this :v:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I was thinking back on my DUMP 3 map when writing that, honestly, but Volcanic Oasis was also really rough in spots, yeah.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

How can I get 100% no auto-aiming in GZDoom in single player? There's so many options and menus it's kinda confusing.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 26, 2017

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Diabetes Forecast posted:

Everyone always forgets Gunman Chronicles, despite it being rad as gently caress.

hell yeah - will always remember it fondly

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Mystic Stylez posted:

How can I get 100% no auto-aiming in GZDoom in single player? There's so many options and menus it's kinda confusing.

Options > Player settings

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Negrostrike posted:

Options > Player settings

Just dragging down that "autoaim" bar to the leftmost does the trick?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

99% sure it does. I never fiddle around with it, tbh.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mystic Stylez posted:

Gameplay options > Allow autoaim = no.

Has to be set every time you load a wad, although there's almost certainly a command line argument you can use to disable it for you.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I finally got around to seeing Rogue One and did anyone else see that Baze Malbus guy and immediately think of a Doom chaingunner with hair?

I mean just look at the lego version of this guy:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Shadow Hog posted:

I think TNT had a map where there was a cyberdemon that kept teleporting between two small rooms with a window in between that he can shoot through and you had to wait until he teleported before dashing through the room.

Tough wads can be tough yet satisfying, but people who create encounters you're supposed to avoid if you want to have enough ammo are just assholes.

Speaking which, I'm trying to find a weapon set mod that doesn't make everything an absolute cakewalk, something to compliment colorful hell or the Maps of Chaos set. I think Vanilla/Smooth doom end up still too hard for the amount of high level enemies (to be fair I can't get smooth doom to work with colorful hell at all) and a weapon mod like Trailerblazer makes everything way too dull and easy.

But for any map set with a Id difficulty curve Smooth Doom is just a joy to play with.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

What could it mean???

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Gameplay options > Allow autoaim = no.

Has to be set every time you load a wad, although there's almost certainly a command line argument you can use to disable it for you.

:confused: I turn it off once with every new computer and off I go.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Shadow Hog posted:

I was thinking back on my DUMP 3 map when writing that, honestly, but Volcanic Oasis was also really rough in spots, yeah.

I haven't made it to your map in DUMP 3, since I play doom very slowly, but I actually really enjoyed Volcanic Oasis. Platforming and dodging attacks next to instakill lava is always a bad idea, but I enjoyed it a lot. That last frantic run was also really cool and almost got me.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

What could it mean???

:toot: Where did you see this?!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I still kinda want a version of the first with dedicated strafe keys.

Like, watching Ancient DOS Games, apparently you can do that to an extent with DOSBox and controller mappings, but the source port for the game doesn't support it at all. Kind of annoying.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

What could it mean???

Where did you find this??

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The guy who did the Doom 2016 documentary is putting out a one-off next week returning to the Id well from a different angle...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ_UHWHjI2s

The Kins fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 27, 2017

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
FYI I updated the "Quake singleplayer starter pack": https://github.com/neogeographica/quakestarter/releases

Mainly this is to include the latest build of Mark V, which: fixes glitches on NVidia GPUs, adds a DirectX 9 renderer option, adds a winquake-like underwater warp effect to the GL/DX9 renderers, adds support for optional (and experimental) volumetric monster shadows, allows window to be freely resized in non-fullscreen, exposes more settings in the ingame menus, and other stuff.

(To be super clear: I'm not the developer of Mark V. I just bundle it in here, and the Mark V dev is OK with that.)

Other changes in the package are described in the changelog on the release page above. Most of it involves improving the documentation, and I haven't added any additional mods to the downloader batch files.

If you were already using the first release of this package, you could just unzip this new release over top of it and replace various files. It won't hurt whatever Quake installation you've built.

e: Forgot to include Simple Quake Launcher. Fixed now.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 27, 2017

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

:toot: Where did you see this?!

Mak0rz posted:

Where did you find this??

Not exactly where I found it, per se, but let's just say this is the source for now: https://twitter.com/KensLabyrinthII

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/KensLabyrinthII/status/825356962409873409
🤔

Ah well, probably easier to work with than Build itself is, I guess.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
That sounds illegal IMHO.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Yodzilla posted:

That sounds illegal IMHO.

There's GZDoom-GPL, which is totally legal to use for commercial products.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
No I mean for a sequel to a Ken Silverman game to use the Doom engine. :colbert:

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I'll allow it, but only if Ken releases Build under a sane license already.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I think there needs to be more Ken's Labyrinth easter eggs and references in other games :colbert:

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I think there needs to be more Ken's Labyrinth easter eggs and references in other games :colbert:

Not sure that it really counts, but as a kid I swear to God I had some weird build of LameDuke in which Duke's sprite was the red jelly blob you shoot in Ken's Labyrinth. I... really have no idea.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Shadow of the Wool Ball is legit more fun than 90% of shooters I've played.

Really wish we had more Adventures of Square/Chex Quest stuff in the mix. So so good.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
Those Ken's Labyrinth II screenshots remind me a lot of Ken's own Build engine demo that had all the loose maps to run around in. The guy's got a pretty fun sense of aesthetic.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

:lol:

Is this official or a fan game? Is Silverman making this?

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
Why would Silverman be using something he didn't write?

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Dropping the cloak and daggers, I might as well reveal that I am the director of the Ken's Labyrinth II project!! Let me answer some of the frequently asked questions in the form of... a FAQ.

Q: Is this official or a fan-game?
A: It's 100% official! We have licensed the series from Ken Silverman.

Q: Is Ken Silverman making this?
A: Sadly, no. While he did license us Ken's Labyrinth, he decided not to be involved past being an observer. He has however given us high praise for what he's seen of our development process so far:

Ken Silverman posted:

Well, the story is totally pointless and cheesy and seems to be made up on the fly. The weapons and power-ups seem way too powerful and likely to ruin the gameplay. All I can say is: Well done! Seriously. You have totally captured the spirit of Ken’s Labyrinth.

Q: Why GZDoom? Why not BUILD?
A: The long and short of it is that I want to be directly involved in the process, and in order to facilitate that I chose an engine with which I am already familiar. Don't get me wrong: I love BUILD, probably in an unhealthy or illegal way. But I've simply not got the experience in working with it.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Kinda figured it had Silverman's blessing to some degree. (A very large degree, as it turns out.)

It does look good! Just was a little surprised it used GZDoom instead of Build - but then, Build's a pain in the rear end to work with at times, and given GZDoom has portals now, it can do a lot of the things Build could now (though not everything - subway cars like those in the Build Engine test or E3L6 "Rabid Transit" from Duke 3D wouldn't really be feasible atm, nor can you change slope angles mid-level like Shadow Warrior's engine test map does), so...

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Q: Why GZDoom? Why not BUILD?
A: The long and short of it is that I want to be directly involved in the process, and in order to facilitate that I chose an engine with which I am already familiar. Don't get me wrong: I love BUILD, probably in an unhealthy or illegal way. But I've simply not got the experience in working with it.

Why not Gloome?

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Keiya posted:

Why not Gloome?

GLOOME is out of development now and it has been for a while. GZDoom-GPL has succeeded it and as far as I'm aware it's kept up to date with the bleeding edge builds of the main engine.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Not sure why but sometimes when I exit gzdoom my monitor goes black and stays black until I hold down the power button and reboot my PC. It's still running, I managed to accidentally activate windows narrator while trying all the button combinations I know.

Also apparently my monitor got reset from 120hz to 60hz but I'm not sure if it was cause of the crash or something else earlier on since I'm not constantly checking the monitor options.

Ularg fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 31, 2017

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Playing full-screen or windowed?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Full-screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013
Are you by any chance using W10 Anniversary (1607)? It has issues with exclusive fullscreen that cause this.