Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Their commentary was like a beautiful blue sky

Right before 9/11

Cabin's "HO-LY poo poo!" in response to that is an all-time great WHM sound bite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

The thing I always loved about it was how the game was set up as the first part of a trilogy that never happened because the game sold terribly. Oh, and every time you died there was an unskippable 25 second cutscene.

You're missing the part where noted idiot Denis Dyack put up a fraudulent lawsuit against Epic Games over the Unreal Engine, got countersued, lost, and was ordered to recall and destroy every single copy of Too Human.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Vermain posted:

You're missing the part where noted idiot Denis Dyack put up a fraudulent lawsuit against Epic Games over the Unreal Engine, got countersued, lost, and was ordered to recall and destroy every single copy of Too Human.
Oh man I didn't even know about that! That's hilarious.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

well why not posted:

I kinda suspect Gods Of Egypt was a hasty copy & paste over a script titled something about norse gods when they realised that the Thor movies exist.

Nah, as poorly as the movie seems to track with Egyptian mythology, it doesn't track at all with Norse mythology. It's pretty clearly a bad script about pretend ancient Egyptian gods, that got further mucked up by the money that bought the script insisting that only by having the lead characters be played by a Scotsman and a Dane would people by tickets.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh man, you saying this just reminded me of a lovely old 360 game called "Too Human". It was an action RPG lootfest game where the idea is that the Norse gods are actually these superadvanced future humans <sajdak>or something</sajdak>.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl7Qk4RJFLs

The thing I always loved about it was how the game was set up as the first part of a trilogy that never happened because the game sold terribly. Oh, and every time you died there was an unskippable 25 second cutscene.

The game didn't just sell badly, it was sued into nonexistence for using the unreal 3 enging without actually paying for it. It's almost impossible to find a copy now because it wasn't allowed to be sold after they lost the court case.

edit: Doh, semi-beaten to it.

Catfishenfuego fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 27, 2017

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

precision posted:

I say "cast whoever you think does the job best". Since lots of directors and producers have been racist, as you say, that means a lot of them have (probably mistakenly) thought "Only a white person could do this job well".

The distinction you're missing is that a lot of people don't explicitly think this but do act on it. Racism isn't just limited to people who think "I am a racist."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
edit: I am literally mentally handicapped

precision fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 29, 2017

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

precision posted:

People's thoughts aren't limited to them literally thinking in exact sentences. Which is your point. So I think the only issue here might be that you're assuming I'm an idiot. ;)

I'm sorry I brought this up without being able to disclaim enough times to make it clear that I'm not the boogieman. I'm not racist, I promise. I'm not even white! I own a Consolidated album (that last sentence is a Joke)

I simply don't like reducing a problem to buzzwords like "whitewashing" that don't really mean anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXHa5FW8gdo

You are behaving like an idiot, yo. I repeat my suggestion that you check out the new forum for discussing race. Please don't poo poo up this nice thread about the world's best podcast with your ignorance.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

precision posted:

People's thoughts aren't limited to them literally thinking in exact sentences. Which is your point. So I think the only issue here might be that you're assuming I'm an idiot. ;)

I'm sorry I brought this up without being able to disclaim enough times to make it clear that I'm not the boogieman. I'm not racist, I promise. I'm not even white! I own a Consolidated album (that last sentence is a Joke)

I simply don't like reducing a problem to buzzwords like "whitewashing" that don't really mean anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXHa5FW8gdo

Whitewashing does mean something, though. It refers to a very clear and obvious problem. And you brought this up in the context of saying that casting a black joker should somehow negate someone's complaint about the millionth time a brown person has been recast as white. That's the equivalent of musing about White History Month. Which shows that you really don't get it. Well-meaning but ill-informed people who want to keep the status quo as if there aren't centuries of racial injustice adding to the context of "character is one race, actor is another" are just as much of a problem, if not moreso, as the "boogeymen" who twirl their moustaches and say friend of the family. The fact that you aren't one of those boogeymen doesn't absolve you of the things you're saying.

I'm not saying you're a bad person but the key here is that you can think harmful things without being a bad person.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Good lord you two. Let it go, like everyone else did several days ago. I chose my words poorly, that's all.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

precision posted:

Good lord you two. Let it go, like everyone else did several days ago. I chose my words poorly, that's all.

You're the guy who wrote the Amazon review they read in the Wild Wild West episode, aren't you.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The new animation damnation is out. Andrews verdict: "This is pretty loving stupid"

Also a lot of discussion on the underlying logic of the mario universe.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Oh good lord

The bafflement here is delicious

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

This Piccolo he's a ... he's a pickle-man!

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

precision posted:

You probably should stop responding, because everything you say just gets worse and worse.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

I was enjoying their bafflement as someone who knows way too much about DBZ. I guess anime is really the only thing that has to make these big filler arcs while the manga gets ahead of it, unless I'm missing something. Original Sailor Moon anime suffers from so much padding, it's like opening a bag of potato chips and it contains exactly one chip.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Any of you going to take up Andrew's challenge and recommend him some animes on twitter?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

davidHalestorm posted:

Any of you going to take up Andrew's challenge and recommend him some animes on twitter?

I don't have a Twitter due to being a boring sack of poo poo, but someone should recommend him the first season of Psycho-Pass. It's some legit good sci-fi in the style of Minority Report and features a gun that makes people explode, which seems like a very Andrew Jupin thing to like. Just don't watch the second season, whatever you do.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

davidHalestorm posted:

He has no idea what he's gotten himself into by asking the internet to recommend him anime

For every good recommendation there's going to be three well-meaning but deeply silly people telling him to watch Elven Piss Psychics

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Finally got around to subscribing to the Patreon, what's a good app for listening on my phone?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Vosgian Beast posted:

He has no idea what he's gotten himself into by asking the internet to recommend him anime

For every good recommendation there's going to be three well-meaning but deeply silly people telling him to watch Elven Piss Psychics

It's probably a scathing indictment of my watching habits that I had to sit down and think really hard about what good anime there is out there without anime overreacting (since I know it'd turn Andrew right off it) and all I could think up was Psycho-Pass, Jin-Roh, and Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and while I love LoGH, it would probably send Andrew right the gently caress to sleep.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I use Podcast Addict, but I think it's number 2 or 3 compared to another app I hear mentioned a lot (but can't remember at the moment)

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I use pocket cast I like it a lot.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

JT Smiley posted:

Finally got around to subscribing to the Patreon, what's a good app for listening on my phone?

The Patreon app works well enough for me.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
I like Podkicker enough to have never checked out an alternative app.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
The Cromartie High School episode with a guy who likes comedy getting steamed over a stupid comedy show.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

A part of me wonders whether the guys would like the classic anime like Ghost in the Shell or Akira. Ghost in the Shell in particular is a pretty slow movie, but it's not dissimilar to, say, Blade Runner in its pacing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

GrandpaPants posted:

A part of me wonders whether the guys would like the classic anime like Ghost in the Shell or Akira. Ghost in the Shell in particular is a pretty slow movie, but it's not dissimilar to, say, Blade Runner in its pacing.

They mention they have seen them

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Darthemed posted:

The Cromartie High School episode with a guy who likes comedy getting steamed over a stupid comedy show.

I was thinking this exact thing. He's easily my favorite character. Making the guy who loves comedy and wants to be a comedian the straight man is genius.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

JT Smiley posted:

I'm a big fan of Downcast. The Patreon feed went on there just fine

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GrandpaPants posted:

When I first saw Ghost in the Shell I very much remember turning to my friend and saying something along the lines of "that was just a French noir movie"

My standing in this thread is already demolished so I'll be the guy who goes to bat for anime too. I wouldn't say I've watched a ton of it, but I've watched enough to know that painting it all with any one brush is wildly misguided. I guarantee that there is anime out there for everyone. Whether it's Bartender, Great Teacher Onizuka (though the live action of this is so much better), Grave of the Fireflies, Cowboy Bebop, whatever. To think of all of it as being similar is as ignorant as assuming all Hollywood movies are like Michael Bay.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

davidHalestorm posted:

I considered going Jojo for sheer "well, if you like confusion..." but it starts so slow. So I feel like if I have to give a caveat, maybe I just shouldn't.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

precision posted:

Great Teacher Onizuka (though the live action of this is so much better),

There's a live action? The original brought me to tears (just once, but still)!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

END ME SCOOB posted:

I considered going Jojo for sheer "well, if you like confusion..." but it starts so slow. So I feel like if I have to give a caveat, maybe I just shouldn't.

they're not going to watch the entire thing for AD, so may as well just drop them right into the middle of some animes

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Anime sucks

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

You guys are playing with fire.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I recommend Tokyo Godfathers to him on Patreon

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

You guys are playing with fire.

First they came for the waifus...

By the way, they're taking Listener Request Month calls until February 10th. Now I just need to remember what movies I wanted to call in.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

By the way, they're taking Listener Request Month calls until February 10th. Now I just need to remember what movies I wanted to call in.

whats the number to call in for that again? for some reason, i always mentally skip out whenever they mention what number it is

V thanks!

FutureFriend fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

FutureFriend posted:

whats the number to call in for that again? for some reason, i always mentally skip out whenever they mention what number it is

718-925-3893