Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lock stock and Cheryl
Dec 19, 2009

by zen death robot

Hadlock posted:

Golden Boy pizza is the best pizza in the city that I've eaten so far, and i eat a lot of pizza. Though they have an annoying habit (like most popular places in this city) of slowing down service when the line out the door gets too short.

I absolutely refuse to stand in line for food, except for golden boy, fantastic stuff.

Re: Tony's, I've heard slice house is Tonys pizza, just by the slice, to go. Haven't tried it yet through.

My current favorite in the city is Serrano's, though I admit I haven't tried much North Beach (outside of my stomping grounds).

Someone gave me money for the Trans Day of Pizza, so I bought an 18" Margherita from Leaning Tower of Pizza in Oakland by Lake Merritt. It was spectacular and so far the best pizza I've had in East Bay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Development
Jun 2, 2016

holy crap, I just had the best Korean I've had in a while at Jang Su Jang in Santa Clara

brb passing out from food coma

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Hadlock posted:

Golden Boy pizza is the best pizza in the city that I've eaten so far, and i eat a lot of pizza. Though they have an annoying habit (like most popular places in this city) of slowing down service when the line out the door gets too short.

I absolutely refuse to stand in line for food, except for golden boy, fantastic stuff.

Re: Tony's, I've heard slice house is Tonys pizza, just by the slice, to go. Haven't tried it yet through.

The Italian beef is worth a try at Slice House.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Saul's in Berkeley is the only Jewish deli that I know of in the East Bay, which is probably a crime. It's sort of pricey, but the Reubens are so good, you guys.

Can confirm, those are really loving good.

ExplodingChef
May 25, 2005

Deathscorts are the true American heroes.
Looking for some SF recommendations. Wife surprised me with a quick trip over NYE for my 40th.

We'll be staying at the Hotel Stratford in Union Square, and will be using public transport, not gonna rent a car. We fly in early Friday the 30th and leave late evening Monday the 2nd. Only planned meal so far is a reservation at the Slanted Door on Sunday the 1st for dinner. We've got tickets to the Sleater-Kinney show Saturday night, but door isn't until 8 and we've got ticketed seats, so no need to arrive early.

We're completely adventurous as far as what we'll eat -- wife doesn't do spicy, that's about the only caveat. Looking for more budget oriented stuff. I'd love to be able to do Atelier Crenn or Benu, but that ain't gonna happen :). Petit Crenn for lunch one day is a possibility. Probably lean towards Asian, French, and Spanish, and lean less towards Greek or Tex-Mex or something like House of Prime Rib.

Interesting bakery/dessert recommendations would also be highly appreciated.

Neither of us know SF at all area-wise, so stuff near relatively easy public transport is a plus. Looks like we're near Chinatown, so I assume we'll find food somewhere there at least once or twice.

Tangentially related, is there any MUST DO tourist poo poo? We'll obviously hit the Golden Gate Bridge and do the cable car thing, but I'm not sure what else we should absolutely try to schedule in on a short trip.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ferry building has a nice market inside of it, you can take an uber to montgomery @ union for a pretty epic view of the transamerica building, then walk up the filbert steps to the top of coit tower half a block away.

While you're at the ferry building take the ferry north to Sausalito and get lunch there.

You can burn some time at Fort Mason/Marina green on the north end of town, some good views there from the park(s)

Japanese tea garden in Golden Gate park is pretty great.

I would take uber anywhere that's not in Downtown. If you get an uber pool it's usually just $3-6 each trip and adding a second person is just $1 more and will limit the number of stops along the way. If you take public transit you're going to spend half your time waiting or on the bus. I regularly take uber pool from nob hill to north beach for $3.50 and only takes 10 minutes or so.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
See the cable car museum (it's free), go for a quick drink in the Tonga Room tiki bar (near Union Square) but don't go at peak times.

Dolores Park is normally great for people-watching AND it's near Tartine Bakery and Bi-rite Ice-cream which are very popular (even though they are not necessarily the best in the city). In December Dolores Park may be underpopulated though.

Fisherman's Wharf is a tourist trap BUT you should go there anyway and see Musée Mécanique (vintage arcade games), the USS Pampanito (WWII submarine), and the sea lions on Pier 39. You'll also be spitting distance from Alcatraz - if you take the ferry to/from Sausalito then you can get a close up view and imagine Nic Cage and Sean Connery busting in, or Clint Eastwood busting out.

The Haight is a shadow of its former hippie self and should mostly be avoided.

There are some great places in Chinatown but also lots of tourist traps too, so be sure to check out any restaurant on Yelp first. I like House of Nanking, and nearby is Little Italy with Tommaso's which is great.

I found a fantastic vegan sushi place in the Mission called Shizen. I'm a carnivore but this sushi tasted so good I didn't care. Reasonably priced too. Arrive early.

SF is ridiculously oversubscribed so be prepared for a wait at anywhere half-decent, and go early. Also wrap up warm; it won't snow, but the windchill can be brutal.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My rule of thumb for line wait times: Five stars on Yelp, up to an hour; Four Stars up to 45 minutes

I don't eat anywhere rated above 3.5 stars because I hate waiting in lines.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Get reservations to Alcatraz NOW. It is the best tourist trap you'll ever visit. Eerie and informative. The cruise there and back on the Bay is pretty beautiful, too.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

I'm going to be in SF on Saturday and checking out Dong Baek. Anyone have positive experiences?

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
My wife and I are coming next week for our honeymoon, staying in Sonoma 15-22 (22-25 in SF). We were planning on balling, but in the past week stumbled into buying a house! (was too good an opportunity to pass up). Effectively, our budget for dining/wineries went from about $3500 to $1500. Really tight, but we have 5 tours that feed us in some way booked through Viator and we have some meals included in our hotel (at the Fairmont).
Do you guys have any recommendations for cheaper restaurants that still have the Sonoma/Bay Area vibe? Open to everything, though some might take some convincing for my wife (Sushi/Indian, mostly).

Carillon
May 9, 2014

ExplodingChef posted:

Looking for some SF recommendations. Wife surprised me with a quick trip over NYE for my 40th.

Since you're staying near Union Square you should absolutely check out Kim Thanh, it's my family's favorite place to eat crab in a restaurant. Their garlic noodles are also really good, and it's cheaper than Thanh Long or other places you might here recommended as great. I really love the black bean sauced one, but they're all really good and you can't really go wrong. Otherwise get the garlic pea shoots for a vegetable, they're grassy and garlicy and great. Walking distance and I'd be surprised if you ever had crab that tasted so good!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

It's raining, and in the ancient winter traditions of our people the interstate exit ramp underpass (280 at Edgewood) is flooding.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Got reminded of this tread recently, so I have another sushi suggestion I can make. Recently discovered these guys and I was really quite impressed.:

Higuma, in downtown Redwood City on El Camino Real, is one of the only sane middle grounds between "$8.99 scariyaki + california roll combo" and "$22 for a single piece of toro" I've found in the Bay. Hotaru, in San Mateo, is the other one, but it's more of a diner that happens to serve up pretty solid sushi. Not much of a bar to speak of. Higuma has a 5-seat bar, worked by a senior and junior itamae (senior is on your right, their left, this review is assuming you get served by him) with the ability to sit down and eat an orthodox, traditional meal for a very reasonable price. You can also sit down at a table and order cooked food--honestly, most of their business appears to be chicken curry katsu plates and whatnot--but frankly it's not that good. If you want hot food with your sushi go to Hotaru.

The omakase here is $42 and includes some standout items--delicious live scallops shipped from Hokkaido during the season were particularly good.. Also very good were the ama-ebi (uncooked shrimp) and uni. Most of the fin fish ran the gamut from pretty good (yellowtail) to very mediocre (salmon that somehow developed the taste and texture of snapper...), but in no case did the quality drop below what I'd consider a normal standard of acceptableness. The big knock against these guys is the sushi rice which I consistently found to be overly dry and bland, though at least it held together unlike most mediocre shari pads. Unusually for such an affordable sushi meal, real grated wasbi is provided instead of horseradish + food coloring.

Despite a few missteps, I don't know if there's a better value for a full sit-down-in-front-of-itamae experience in the Bay Area. If you're at all value-conscious or just really like scallop, you should definitely give Higuma a shot.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
What's real wasabi like? I love horseradish for the bite.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Wasabi is spicy in the same way that horseradish is, but probably not quite as aggressively--it provides the same bite on your palate but doesn't really invade your nostrils and set your nose on fire the way a chunk of horseradish does. It also has a lot better flavor than horseradish. Freshly grated wasabi is wonderfully herbal and planty and even a little minerally. The texture is also a bit different; horseradish wasabi is a fairly homogeneous paste while hon-wasabi has the texture you'd expect out of roughly grated roots.

I hated sushi when I was a kid, and not-so-coincidentally fell in love with it at the very first place that gave me freshly grated stuff.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Oh! I remembered a great Japanese restaurant in Daly City that I stumbled upon. Tani's Kitchen (https://www.yelp.com/biz/tanis-kitchen-daly-city) is a cool little (and I mean little) spot that serves up great Japanese comfort food (along with sushi). Think curry, gyudon, etc. They have the best tamago (sweet rolled omelette) that I've had anywhere in the states. Highly recommended, and it's all for a very reasonable price as well.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

There is a lot of good food in my stomping grounds, and I'm very sad every time a really good cheap place closes and gets replaced with a pricey bistro. That said:

When I'm in downtown Oakland, the way I get good cheap food is by wandering into Chinatown and getting dim sum from any of the innumerable dim sum shops there. It's not fancy but it is good, and they have savory turnip cakes there, which I have had a hell of a time finding elsewhere. We also usually get banh mi from over there for about as much per ounce.

My roommate works at Bobby G's Pizza on University off Shattuck, which is probably one of those places I was complaining about just two paragraphs before but screw you, it's a great value if you're three or four people and you actually get a pizza there. Just don't go in there and "get sandwiches real quick" like my dad tried to do once over my protests. :argh: You will be there for an hour and it will not be worth it. Get entire pizzas instead.

There's a Smoke's Poutinerie off Telegraph one block south of UC Berkeley, near where Games of Berkeley is moving, and it owns.

The Cheesesteak Shop is a local chain that has a doofy logo and a great cheesesteak (or chickencheese if that's your thing) on imported Amoroso buns. They use provolone rather than Cheeze Wiz, griddle the onions, use jarred pickled peppers from Philly, and I have never had a bad cheesesteak there. They also have a half-off sides deal on Wednesdays.

I live near the Berkeley Everett and Jones, will do a trip report after Christmas.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anyone here been to the Russian Renaissance https://www.yelp.com/biz/russian-renaissance-restaurant-san-francisco restaurant and would actively recommend or discourage from going? It looks fun, but I can imagine that going either way in terms of quality.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm crossposting here from the SF bay area thread.

quote:

This is kinda weirdly specific, but is there a good Taiwanese cafe in San Francisco or its surrounding environments? No further south than, like, San Mateo? I'm specifically asking for those one of those things where it's like, a fried dough stick, pork mung, maybe some miscellaneous other stuff wrapped by sticky rice. I have craved this for ages here and can only have it when I go back down to LA to visit family.

Stinky tofu recommendations would be aces too.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

The only good Taiwanese snackish place I've heard alright things about is in Milpitas (lol far), called Taiwan Cafe (v. original name)

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Can someone explain the thread title to me? It's been vexing me for a while now :(

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

Switzerland posted:

Can someone explain the thread title to me? It's been vexing me for a while now :(

They are all foods associated with San Francisco.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

It's its are an amazing ice cream sandwich and I'm guessing the part that would be ambiguous.

lock stock and Cheryl
Dec 19, 2009

by zen death robot
Sourdough bread (ideally in a big French boule) + it's it ice cream sandwich (in vanilla, chocolate, mint, pumpkin spice, strawberry or espresso flavor) + Mission-style burrito (thick as my forearm, packed with Spanish rice, beans, crema Mexicana, salsa, avocado, cheese, pickled jalapeno, and either Carnitas, carne asada, chicken, al pastor, or shrimp.)

Apart from easy cock, those are the most emblematic San Francisco eats I can think of.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
You forgot the pretzels at Fisherman's Wharf.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
ictyvm guyz

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

lock stock and Cheryl posted:

Sourdough bread (ideally in a big French boule) + it's it ice cream sandwich (in vanilla, chocolate, mint, pumpkin spice, strawberry or espresso flavor) + Mission-style burrito (thick as my forearm, packed with Spanish rice, beans, crema Mexicana, salsa, avocado, cheese, pickled jalapeno, and either Carnitas, carne asada, chicken, al pastor, or shrimp.)

Apart from easy cock, those are the most emblematic San Francisco eats I can think of.
Dungeness crab, classically as crab Louis or cioppino.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Does anyone have any suggestions for interesting places to try around Davies Symphony hall? I eat pretty much anything so I'm willing to try stuff.

The main concerns are price and timing. I'll be going up to the city on Friday for early-ish dinner around 5:30, 6pm so hopefully the lines won't be too bad. Also maybe not too expensive either but if it's good, it's good.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Saigon Sandwich is right by there and has amazing (and cheap) bahn mi, but they close at 5:30 exactly. Maybe Zuni?

lock stock and Cheryl
Dec 19, 2009

by zen death robot

Reiterpallasch posted:

Saigon Sandwich is right by there and has amazing (and cheap) bahn mi, but they close at 5:30 exactly. Maybe Zuni?

gently caress, I *love* Saigon sandwich, I used to go there all the time when I went to that clinic. Good banh mi, stacked thick, nice and cheap, with a good selection of drinks and desserts

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

snyprmag posted:

It's its are an amazing ice cream sandwich
:agreed:

I see that they've added some new flavors, like Green Tea and Pumpkin, but Mint will always be the best flavor.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I'm headed to John's Grill tonight for dinner, anyone have any recommendations on what to order? I know it's an old school place that's been around a while, but I want to make sure I don't order something terrible or miss out on a special or something.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

OGS-Remix posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for interesting places to try around Davies Symphony hall? I eat pretty much anything so I'm willing to try stuff.

The main concerns are price and timing. I'll be going up to the city on Friday for early-ish dinner around 5:30, 6pm so hopefully the lines won't be too bad. Also maybe not too expensive either but if it's good, it's good.

Souvla is really good.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

OGS-Remix posted:

Nojo is maybe a block away and without question the best ramen I've ever had in SF. I suggest either the basic chicken paitan or the soy sauce variant; the chicken nanban appetizer is particularly good if you're hungry. It's on the expensive side but entirely worth it IMO

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
I ended up going to Zuni; I had the halibut and a couple of cocktails. The fish was pretty good and their big batch of fries as appetizers was very tasty. It was a little pricier then I wanted but overall I'm happy and would definitely go again. Good recommendation Reiterpallasch.

lock stock and Cheryl
Dec 19, 2009

by zen death robot
Had Indian pizza from Zante tonight. Holy gently caress it's sooooooo good. I almost forgot about this place after leaving SF, but it's so amazing I can't even.

Paneer tikka masala pizza with fresh parsley, masala sauce, mozzarella, paneer, eggplant, and cauliflower. Too tasty

Development
Jun 2, 2016

hey goons. Can anyone recommend a legit world class chocolatier in SF? GF is coming in for a week and we enjoy some robust truffles. Cost isn't that much of an issue.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Development posted:

hey goons. Can anyone recommend a legit world class chocolatier in SF? GF is coming in for a week and we enjoy some robust truffles. Cost isn't that much of an issue.

I really liked Teuscher at Stanford, before they closed. I believe they have a branch up in the city that's still open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Development posted:

Take a day trip to Berkeley and buy everything at Alegio. I treat myself to a box of ginger Claudio Corallo a few times a year. Amazing stuff.

Senf fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 5, 2017