Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

there's also a bunch of shambling corpses like S3 and SGI that have that one mandatory patent

S3's patent on BC/DXT texture compression expires in October of this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Patents last 20 years. So an open sores GPU can only really implement the functionality of a GPU from early 1997.

Oh you want anything that even vaguely resembles shaders well gently caress you every single silicon architectural feature required to implement them is undoubtedly patented out the loving rear end.

https://www.google.com/#q=fused+multiply+accumulate+patent

Even fused multiply accumulate has a bunch of bullshit patents around it.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The_Franz posted:

S3's patent on BC/DXT texture compression expires in October of this year.

the idea of storing colors in floats has a few more years

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

pseudorandom name posted:

the idea of storing colors in floats has a few more years

so... every javascript program that deals with colors is in violation of this patent?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
why would you store colours in floats

i mean, besides javascript

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Truga posted:

hdr

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
isn't that just 10 bits per subpixel? does it really need a whole float to work correctly?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

you're confusing the C float keyword with the idea of floating point numbers

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sapozhnik posted:

Oh you want anything that even vaguely resembles shaders well gently caress you every single silicon architectural feature required to implement them is undoubtedly patented out the loving rear end.

https://www.google.com/#q=fused+multiply+accumulate+patent

Even fused multiply accumulate has a bunch of bullshit patents around it.

jesus christ

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
2023: year of the open sores gpu

edit: nope 2024, so all the glsl 1.0-related items can expire :smith:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Truga posted:

fp16 has been a common format for intermediate render targets for a long time

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

fedora 25 has actually restored my faith in using linux on anything but the server a fair bit

granted, i still think it is almost always preferable to just run windows and virtualize linux for almost all such uses, but with a minimum of customization fedora 25 actually feels like a good place to be

wp red hat people

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah f25 is good, i switched to it from arch

now if only chromium had a shipping wayland backend (because x11 touchpad scrolling is garbo) or epiphany was just a little bit less of a joke (it has an ad blocker, please add a ui for it)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

there are reasons to consider as/400.

well don't leave us hanging

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sapozhnik posted:

now if only chromium had a shipping wayland backend (because x11 touchpad scrolling is garbo)

idk about chromium but actual retail Chrome supports native multitouch on linux if you enable the right poo poo

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

lots of love

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i had to track down a 4.8 kernel package because i upgraded to 4.9 and it wiped my zfs kernel modules. then i spent most of the day learning kickstart and the libvirt tools and setting up a bridge interface.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

zfs is not a desktop file system

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

it is, if you're a sperg

while we are on filesystem chat, apparently btrfs literally runs out of space if you use a small partition (like 4GB, I think). Apparently it can't turn unused space into free space so that it could actually get used. And you can't reclaim the space with utils without actually adding another device to provide free space in order to make free space.

I guess it don't matter unless you make 4GB filesystems on your flash drive for your linux desktop.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Can you even buy a flash drive that small anymore

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hifi posted:

i had to track down a 4.8 kernel package because i upgraded to 4.9 and it wiped my zfs kernel modules. then i spent most of the day learning kickstart and the libvirt tools and setting up a bridge interface.

lol zfs on linux

nice license violation there

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

atomicthumbs posted:

well don't leave us hanging

actual business reason: tons of interop poo poo for your lovely god drat mainframe. old school mainframe apps required you to install a "terminal controller" at every branch office anyway. upgrade that to a as/400 (or system i or whatever) and you can have some local brains to process poo poo BEFORE making the round trip to the mainframe

cool yospos reason: as/400s have unified storage and 128 bit pointers. there's no distinction made between ram, swap, and disk. everything is just a fuckin place you can grab poo poo from. it's rad as hell

this is a v. good book if you enjoy sperging out about this poo poo
https://www.amazon.com/Inside-As-400-Frank-Soltis/dp/1882419138

this is a short pdf on why the as/400 is cool
https://www.scss.tcd.ie/SCSSTreasuresCatalog/hardware/TCD-SCSS-T.20121208.068/IBM-AS400-technical-introduction.pdf

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
last week i fixed a crashing iscsi server by upgrading stock centos 7 to 4.4.44 from elrepo, it was messed up

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
quote not edit

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol zfs on linux

nice license violation there

did they have a lawyer say what ubuntu doing was bad? this is just on ym fedora rig so i don't think there's any way i can do something illegal

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

hifi posted:

did they have a lawyer say what ubuntu doing was bad? this is just on ym fedora rig so i don't think there's any way i can do something illegal

It's not illegal to do it yourself--it's just potentially a license violation to distribute Linux and ZFS together. Canonical doesn't give a poo poo though because they are headquartered in the Isle of Mann so they are harder to sue (as far as I understand it).

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

actual business reason: tons of interop poo poo for your lovely god drat mainframe. old school mainframe apps required you to install a "terminal controller" at every branch office anyway. upgrade that to a as/400 (or system i or whatever) and you can have some local brains to process poo poo BEFORE making the round trip to the mainframe

cool yospos reason: as/400s have unified storage and 128 bit pointers. there's no distinction made between ram, swap, and disk. everything is just a fuckin place you can grab poo poo from. it's rad as hell

this is a v. good book if you enjoy sperging out about this poo poo
https://www.amazon.com/Inside-As-400-Frank-Soltis/dp/1882419138

this is a short pdf on why the as/400 is cool
https://www.scss.tcd.ie/SCSSTreasuresCatalog/hardware/TCD-SCSS-T.20121208.068/IBM-AS400-technical-introduction.pdf

the as/400 was created and manufactured in rochester so it's good

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Perplx posted:

last week i fixed a crashing iscsi server by upgrading stock centos 7 to 4.4.44 from elrepo, it was messed up

you sure your multipath wasn't hosed up and you just blew away the bad config

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

VikingofRock posted:

It's not illegal to do it yourself--it's just potentially a license violation to distribute Linux and ZFS together. Canonical doesn't give a poo poo though because they are headquartered in the Isle of Mann so they are harder to sue (as far as I understand it).

canonical doesn't care because they are a fly-by-night and their "support" is a joke

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hifi posted:

the problem is that because combining the products is a license violation, zfs on linux is a rare circumstance and there are very few users

it's almost totally un-tested. you might as well be running btrfs

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the problem is that because combining the products is a license violation, zfs on linux is a rare circumstance and there are very few users

it's almost totally un-tested. you might as well be running btrfs

i assume they have unit tests. it works on my machine

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Roargasm posted:

you sure your multipath wasn't hosed up and you just blew away the bad config

i'm not using multipath (i know single point of failure), the config was unchanged i just yum install'ed kernel-ml

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

summary: "everyone who still buys this dinosaur age poo poo is running amazingly dusty decks and is locked in as gently caress so it's cool if everything is actually running in an emulator". the underlying cpu isn't actually 128 bit at all

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BobHoward posted:

summary: "everyone who still buys this dinosaur age poo poo is running amazingly dusty decks and is locked in as gently caress so it's cool if everything is actually running in an emulator". the underlying cpu isn't actually 128 bit at all

it was always "in an emulator," so to speak, from the very beginning. there was never any architecture other than the 128 bit TIMI

also, everything is "emulated" ahead of time. timi bytecode gets compiled to native POWER instructions aot, so it runs plenty fast

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

BobHoward posted:

yeah but that was always the case, AS/400 was designed from the start as a virtual architecture for that kind of scaling and implementation change functionality

in a similar old-but-modern way, the IBM RT PC (6150 & friends) actually had a hypervisor that its operating systems ran on, rather than have them run directly on the bare hardware

you couldn't run AOS and AIX and Mach simultaneously though, as it wasn't that kind of VM; it could have been extended to support that, though an RT was already so excruciatingly slow that it would've only been a CS student party trick (unlike running System 6 simultaneously with the BSDSS on MacMach, which ruled)

I should ask some folks whether the RT hypervisor also handled the floating point implementation; it had several different FP coprocessor options, including a 68881 option, which is just bizarre even by 80s workstation standards

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

overwatch patches for wine out!

https://bitbucket.org/awesie/wine-overwatch/src/overwatch/OVERWATCH

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i tried to install fedora and for the fifth time it hosed up hilariously

ubuntu mate is sorta okay

but I installed OpenSUSE (tumbleweed) at someone's recommendation and it seems pretty great. it's on a refurbished 32gb sandisk ultra extreme pro triple or w/e i got for $13

tumbleweed is rolling release and they use opencv and poo poo to automatically test package updates by performing actual tasks

then linux 4.10 came out and I downloaded it and patched it with MuQSS for CPU scheduling and BFS for IO scheduling and compiled it and surprisingly 1. it's fast and 2. it worked the first time

My linux curse is broken

now if only i can figure out how to install amdgpu-pro on opensuse so I can actually do what i installed it for (use opencl on my amd 7870)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

mate is nice, opensuse rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i had a problem with the fedora installer when it would just hang forever with a mdadm array and i had to unplug all of the drives and install like it was loving windows all over again. im skipping 25 on my local rig though. also cockpit never worked for some reason