Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

The cycle is now complete, the prophecy fulfilled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Final vote is in. I hope L'Arachel wins.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wait, Wendy is called Gwendoyln?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

we did it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Wait, Wendy is called Gwendoyln?

yeah they changed a lot of FE6 character names. Astohl is Astolfo, for instance.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

If nothing else this poll did finally give us officially translated character names for all the FE games

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Endorph posted:

yeah they changed a lot of FE6 character names. Astohl is Astolfo, for instance.

Which is amazing and correct and far better.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

had to vote for my darling husband lon'qu whom i love dearly

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

After the first row, I just started voting for the units that turned out really good in my playthroughs. And Cervantes and Tiki because why not.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Onmi posted:

Which is amazing and correct and far better.

Are you going to backport the new names into your hack? oh also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBVETwIoyfQ

gamexplain got to play a preview of the game. Nothing that interesting, just the guy saying he liked it, but it confirms Jagen and Raigh.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Endorph posted:

Are you going to backport the new names into your hack? oh also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBVETwIoyfQ

gamexplain got to play a preview of the game. Nothing that interesting, just the guy saying he liked it, but it confirms Jagen and Raigh.

I am. There are to degrees where I'll point at a name and go "that's dumb I don't like that." Like with Shanna, I didn't like Shanna. But seeing as they used it twice, and they took the time for Lachesis to go back to it from Raquesis. Then there's no point to not using those names. Also a lot of the names are really good. Astolfo being an actual Paladin of Charlemagne is likely what the name was originally going for. Gwendolyn is of course the longform of Wendy. Dieck and Rutger are canon and people can suck it.

I think the only ones that annoyed me was Melady. And I'll probably leave Zelot's 'a' in.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Make it Seelots just to piss people off

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Key thing here is that there's multiple gachas, which contain different character pools. There was also an "appearance rates" button so maybe you can actually judge just how absurdly rare your favorite is

I haven't actually played a gacha game before so I dunno if that's all normal but it struck me as a good sign

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Rolling gatcha confirmed.

Also lol at you being unable to see what color units you get until after you commit orbs.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Terper posted:

Make it Seelots just to piss people off

No, because I've seen a fan game that changes all the names just to piss people off.

It's called FE6XNA, it's poo poo.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dr Pepper posted:

Rolling gatcha confirmed.

Also lol at you being unable to see what color units you get until after you commit orbs.

That part doesn't seem to be a huge deal as long as you save up 20 orbs before doing any rolling, which you really ought to do

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I know I keep saying to game responsibly but let's be honest I'm gonna whale it up until I have both young and adult Tiki

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

cheetah7071 posted:

Key thing here is that there's multiple gachas, which contain different character pools. There was also an "appearance rates" button so maybe you can actually judge just how absurdly rare your favorite is.

That's generally how it works in gatcha games yeah. They have special event pools with "rate up" units in which if you pull on the Gatcha and get a high ranking unit you're much more likely to get one of the advertised units.

As for showing the drop rates they actually have to do that due to Japanese gambling laws.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Never Forget

Your Votes

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Endorph posted:

this is deeply disturbing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also other thing I saw in a different video from a guy that got to play the game as well: Basically, when you roll, you spend 5 funpoints get shown 5 orbs of varying colors. The colors represent weapon type. So, like

Red
Red
Blue
Grey
Red

You pick the grey one, you get noted fire emblem character Wrys. You can either leave it at that or you can spend *4* funpoints to select one of the other orbs. So if you wanna grab the blue one, you can do it for cheaper. You can keep doing that until you've grabbed all of them, and the last one you grab from the lot is only 3 funpoints.

So basically, grabbing all of them at once is cheaper than backing out and doing another four rolls. That makes it easier to build up a roster, but harder to hunt for a specific character.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

another hands-on video about the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkJvpBoLKxY

lotta pics of people we haven't seen yet and some glimpses of dialogue and stuff

notably, linking your My Nintendo account apparently gives you access to 'special My Nintendo missions' which I'm guessing have special rewards and will cost My Nintendo coins to get access to? they did similar stuff with some bonus content for Miitomo and Super Mario Run so it makes sense

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

I forgot to choose Lowen. :(

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

yarne, shigure, azura, ryoma and chrom

woah

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I really like Matthew Mercer. Also Chrom is good??

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

A Yarne vote. I didn't think they existed....

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Kelp Plankton posted:

another hands-on video about the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkJvpBoLKxY

lotta pics of people we haven't seen yet and some glimpses of dialogue and stuff

notably, linking your My Nintendo account apparently gives you access to 'special My Nintendo missions' which I'm guessing have special rewards and will cost My Nintendo coins to get access to? they did similar stuff with some bonus content for Miitomo and Super Mario Run so it makes sense

I wish this game was coming out tomorrow, instead of the day after

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Since the game has a rolling gatcha it seems I want to know how many pulls it takes to get a 5 star guaranteed. That's important for budgeting reasons.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Dr Pepper posted:

Since the game has a rolling gatcha it seems I want to know how many pulls it takes to get a 5 star guaranteed. That's important for budgeting reasons.

What is a rolling Gatcha?

sharrrk posted:

had to vote for my darling husband lon'qu whom i love dearly

you don't happen to do narration work for nintendo do you (watches the fire emblem direct again)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

tithin posted:

What is a rolling Gatcha?

This will be my first mobile game so I'm guessing from context, but it seems that every time you fail to get a good character (whether that means a popular one or a 5-star one we don't know) the chance to get one goes up, until eventually it's 100%.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

cheetah7071 posted:

This will be my first mobile game so I'm guessing from context, but it seems that every time you fail to get a good character (whether that means a popular one or a 5-star one we don't know) the chance to get one goes up, until eventually it's 100%.

This is a good thing

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
http://nintendoeverything.com/new-fire-emblem-heroes-info-difficulty-levels-assist-skills-ranking-up-heroes-more/

quote:

The release of Fire Emblem Heroes is just 2 days away, but quite a few of the game’s details are still unknown at this point. Thankfully, a couple members of the press got the chance to try out the game for an hour last weekend. Below, we’ve compiled all of the new info from GameXplain’s and Polygon’s preview:

You can view all of a character’s special illustrations on their status screen and listen to their voiced lines

Units have “Assist Skills”, which can be activated when they’re standing next to an ally

Bow users still deal extra damage to flying enemies

Your chances of getting a Hero with a high star count increase each time you don’t get one when Summoning Heroes using Orbs (the game’s gacha system)

If a unit reaches level 20, they can rank up, which increases their star count by 1

The game’s first limited-time event apparently is centered on Lissa

Story missions have several difficulty levels – Normal, Hard and Lunatic, with higher difficulties yielding better rewards, but requiring more Stamina to play

There are different summoning “banners”, which each focus on a different group of Heroes

You can turn off combat animations, portrait cut-ins and voice overs

Special skills need several turns to charge; they are then used automatically next time the character attacks

At any time during a battle, you can spend one Orb to revive and heal all your units – you can also use this to resume a mission if you get a Game Over

There is an auto battle option

Each character has a brief biography that describes their character and which Fire Emblem game they’re from

The Arena uses a different Stamina mechanic called Dueling Swords – you get three Dueling Swords per day, and you need to use one to fight in the Arena. You can use Orbs to refill your Dueling Swords.

You can use Orbs to upgrade your Castle, which is essentially your base – the first upgrade costs 1 Orb and permanently increases all experience gained by 20%

You can also change the design of your castle

Nintendo Treehouse localized the game

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
I let random pick for me and it choose Makalov and hell who am I to disagree?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

My final vote is cast!

There are still a ton of great characters I didn't get to vote for, but I'm happy with this crew.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Ideally I would've voted for another character from FE6 instead of Arthur twice, but oh well.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
If you could pair characters across games, since undoubtedly this game is going to put that thought in people's heads, what would you do?

Personally, I would go Hector/Tiki, because I find the idea of manakete Lilina incredibly awesome for some reason.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Stephen9001 posted:

If you could pair characters across games, since undoubtedly this game is going to put that thought in people's heads, what would you do?

Personally, I would go Hector/Tiki, because I find the idea of manakete Lilina incredibly awesome for some reason.

that is what the poll is meant to determine after all, who the perfect couple in all of space and time across the fire emblems would be

we'll soon know

but personally i'd have xander get with marth

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

man it's gonna be weird playing a gacha game where i don't know what's coming up soon because the global client is months behind the japanese client

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Brother Entropy posted:

man it's gonna be weird playing a gacha game where i don't know what's coming up soon because the global client is months behind the japanese client

Yeah, on the one hand it's cool that everyone is on the same page, but on the other hand you can't save up your orbs for that Hector swimwear gacha that you know is coming in 3 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
if I can't romance tharja making it so she is my wife in three games I will be very upset.

stalking me across time and space... best wife