Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Food needs growing, arses need wiping, and engines need fixing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

poptart_fairy posted:

I specified people who make no effort, not people who make the effort but have no opportunities.

One becomes the other naturally. I've been unemployed for 3 years now, due to a lack of local opportunities, and it's demoralizing as gently caress. I don't blame anyone who abandons the pointless searching if they can live without it.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
My unpopular opinion is that being unemployed sounds loving incredible. Get up when you like, sleep as long as you want, watch youtube videos and play videogames all day, exercise more, learn how to cook, don't worry about coming into work 5 days a week, don't stress about bullshit numbers or customer satisfaction.

Sounds no bad compared to being constantly exhausted, being woken by an alarm at 6:00am every day, spending 40 hours a week having to pretend you give a poo poo about costs and codes, feeling your leisure time is to precious to waste to the extent you end up doing nothing, putting half your wage into a mortgage because you don't want to be in debt and paying off interest for years, eating takeaways because gently caress cooking when its 7 at night and you've been away for 12 hours, worrying about your car repairs because you don't want to triple your travel time by getting the bus, getting fat because you spend 18 hours sitting and 6 lying down.

Yup. Being unemployed sounds loving great.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ramagamma posted:

putting half your wage into a mortgage because you don't want to be in debt and paying off interest for years

:lol: if you don't just rent I mean seriously.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Cotton posted:

I started out renting and my mother called me an idiot and gave me £9000 on condition i use it for a house deposit and now that i pay double my monthly rate just to whittle down the years I'm not sure whats best.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Mortgages stopped making sense when jobs stopped lasting 30+ years

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Tony Bologna posted:

Bill Withers is the greatest person to ever make music, bar none.

We know, we know, we know, we know, we know...

:v:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

lmao if you do

hmm yes I sure like living in a space with loud rear end in a top hat neighbors, bad management and constantly rising rent. yeah paying mortgage means interest and tax, and god forbid maintaining your own home, but these are not hard things with even the tiniest amount of trying

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
:lol: if you are comfortable being tied down to a mortgage. Bet your next genius move is gonna be raising a family! Not in this crazy world. No way, buddy, no way...

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

doverhog posted:

:lol: if you are comfortable being tied down to a mortgage. Bet your next genius move is gonna be raising a family! Not in this crazy world. No way, buddy, no way...

Yeah except for I'm not tied down because I have a thing called equity. I could sell my house right now if I really wanted to. But I don't, my house fuckin owns. And I can decorate and do things to it as I please! But please continue living in your apartment with white walls and 20000 restrictions.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I actually don't know wether renting or having a mortgage is best for me and that's a loving scary thing to admit too 5 years in.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

lol if you raise a family

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Was going to have kids but then trump and climate change and the economy being absolute garbage happened and my rent went up $150 a month and no one has job security so gently caress it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

bradzilla posted:

Yeah except for I'm not tied down because I have a thing called equity. I could sell my house right now if I really wanted to. But I don't, my house fuckin owns. And I can decorate and do things to it as I please! But please continue living in your apartment with white walls and 20000 restrictions.

A home is only "equity" if you're not living in it. If you're living in it its your home and you'll need another one if you get rid of it. You, sir, have an asset.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

A home is only "equity" if you're not living in it. If you're living in it its your home and you'll need another one if you get rid of it. You, sir, have an asset.

You're right. My point that I'm not tied down to it still stands.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

bradzilla posted:

You're right. My point that I'm not tied down to it still stands.

If you're above water on your mortgage, yeah. That's not always the case and with raising rates it may change things for a lot of people right away. That's not even getting into the specific housing markets and what not.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
If I could afford a house within a reasonable distance of a steady job I'd do it with no hesitation. To me, being "tied down" is a good thing as long as you have job security. I hate having to move every 2-3 years.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

yeah I eat rear end posted:

If I could afford a house within a reasonable distance of a steady job I'd do it with no hesitation. To me, being "tied down" is a good thing as long as you have job security. I hate having to move every 2-3 years.

Welcome to the gig economy! Being tied down to a job was horrible, now people are FREE to explore a new city every few years. What the gently caress is a "family" ???

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Gig economy? Protip: Commit tax fraud!

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Talk real good 'cause I'm smart and stuff

Ramagamma posted:

My unpopular opinion is that being unemployed sounds loving incredible. Get up when you like, sleep as long as you want, watch youtube videos and play videogames all day, exercise more, learn how to cook, don't worry about coming into work 5 days a week, don't stress about bullshit numbers or customer satisfaction.

Sounds no bad compared to being constantly exhausted, being woken by an alarm at 6:00am every day, spending 40 hours a week having to pretend you give a poo poo about costs and codes, feeling your leisure time is to precious to waste to the extent you end up doing nothing, putting half your wage into a mortgage because you don't want to be in debt and paying off interest for years, eating takeaways because gently caress cooking when its 7 at night and you've been away for 12 hours, worrying about your car repairs because you don't want to triple your travel time by getting the bus, getting fat because you spend 18 hours sitting and 6 lying down.

Your mortgage and bills don't disappear when your job does. Being unemployed means trying to hold your poo poo together with 40% less money. Sounds like you haven't really thought this through.

Aramek posted:

We know, we know, we know, we know, we know...

:v:
Ha!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

bradzilla posted:

lmao if you do

hmm yes I sure like living in a space with loud rear end in a top hat neighbors, bad management and constantly rising rent. yeah paying mortgage means interest and tax, and god forbid maintaining your own home, but these are not hard things with even the tiniest amount of trying

Thanks, Shaggar.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Purchasing a home is far better than renting for 80% of people. Not being beholden to lovely land lords or changing neighbors can do a TON to stablize peoples economic situation, especially at the lower end of the spectrum. In a perfect world where land lords take care of stuff 100% of the time and the savings are passed on to tenants, then yeah renting could work. But in the end its just a profit mill for the landlord rather than "flexibility" for the renter.

Buy a house if you can, "tie yourself down" if you can. People in power are tied down, aren't they? The guys that run the city don't rent, do they? No they do not.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Build your house with your own two hands and the sweat of your brow and be free.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Jastiger posted:

Buy a house if you can, "tie yourself down" if you can. People in power are tied down, aren't they? The guys that run the city don't rent, do they? No they do not.

This reads like an endorsement for being in power and running cities. Sounds stressful.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

oldpainless posted:

Build your house with your own two hands and the sweat of your brow and be free.

:grovertoot:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

One becomes the other naturally. I've been unemployed for 3 years now, due to a lack of local opportunities, and it's demoralizing as gently caress. I don't blame anyone who abandons the pointless searching if they can live without it.

OK but I'm still talking about people who don't make that initial effort.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jastiger posted:

Purchasing a home is far better than renting for 80% of people. Not being beholden to lovely land lords or changing neighbors can do a TON to stablize peoples economic situation, especially at the lower end of the spectrum. In a perfect world where land lords take care of stuff 100% of the time and the savings are passed on to tenants, then yeah renting could work. But in the end its just a profit mill for the landlord rather than "flexibility" for the renter.

Wouldn't be surprised if half the council rented :shrug:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

The people in power could just buy a house with cash, they don't need to think about job security or waiting 2 years for the current house to sell while trying to move somewhere else or the side costs that most renters don't consider like maintenance and more types of insurances or hoa fees or someone letting their house go to crap on your sane street which drives your own value down or, you know, the complete inability for most working poor to save up anywhere near a down payment in the first place anyway

E: also, house usually means living even father from work and away from public transit lines, so also factor in the big transportation cost increases, and also buying more premade/fast food due to having less time after a longer commute

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The question of buying or renting is far too complex for a single rule of thumb. It can vary wildly from city to city, even neighbourhood. It depends greatly on your financial situation, your career, and long term plans, the local housing market, interest rates, your investment strategy, so many things.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Sentient Data posted:

E: also, house usually means living even father from work and away from public transit lines, so also factor in the big transportation cost increases, and also buying more premade/fast food due to having less time after a longer commute

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Even small towns in the middle of nowhere have a local publix or something. Unless your commute is like 2 hours+, you have plenty of time to stop at the store. Or, you know, buy ahead of time when you do have free time.

Using public transit for work is non-ideal anyway. I lived/worked in Zurich for a couple years which in my opinion has among the best, most efficient+on time public transit system in the world. I still wished I had a car all the time though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Condos combine all the worst financial and upkeep aspects of owning a home, plus HOA style drama with the condo council, with all the noisy neighbours and cramped bullshit of living in an apartment. They also don't hold their value nearly as well as a house does so are lovely investments unless you're airbnbing the poo poo out of it.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Ramagamma posted:

As someone who just started working again after four years, being unemployed is the absolute worst. Even though you can wake up whenever you want, you will immediately begin worrying about how you will make rent, how you will feed yourself, how you will afford gas to go and look for a job. And that's not even taking into consideration things like emergency car fixes and dental issues.
Then before you know it, it's your mother's birthday! Your dad and sister each got her a wonderful gift, and you give her a hand made card. They say they understand that you can't afford much right now, and you know they do, but you see the worry in their eyes when you leave. The next day your dad calls you and asks if you need some money. You just know that your mom spent her whole birthday night discussing your situation with her husband. Happy birthday mommy!
After applying for jobs, (online only, your car's brakes are hosed again,) you watch some YouTube videos. Then you browse your favourite dead gay forums, refreshing the pages until you are certain there are going to be no more new posts for a while.
You go to the kitchen and look in the fridge. You've got expired ground beef, and one tortilla. With some spice magic, you make a taco you could probably feed to a dog.
You go and check YouTube again. Nothing new. You check the forums. People bitching about trolls, so nothing new. You go to bed, just to wake up and do it all over again.
Oh wait! There's an egg in the fridge! In the drawer! I forgot about that! Oh man, I'm gonna eat good tomorrow!

So yeah, I'll take your 9 to 5 life over having to deal with that poo poo again any day.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

poptart_fairy posted:

Food needs growing, arses need wiping, and engines need fixing.

LOL that you actually think this. :allears:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Farming, nursing and engineering are stable industries tho'.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Blue Star posted:

LOL that you actually think this. :allears:

Check out this unwiped rear end haver over here

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I suspect the context of my post was missed.

Field Mousepad posted:

Mechanic work is always needed, my dad has been doing it for 30 years and he can go anywhere and pretty much tell his employer how much he wants to be paid. Good move on your part!

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

yo rear end is grass posted:

As someone who just started working again after four years, being unemployed is the absolute worst. Even though you can wake up whenever you want, you will immediately begin worrying about how you will make rent, how you will feed yourself, how you will afford gas to go and look for a job. And that's not even taking into consideration things like emergency car fixes and dental issues.
Then before you know it, it's your mother's birthday! Your dad and sister each got her a wonderful gift, and you give her a hand made card. They say they understand that you can't afford much right now, and you know they do, but you see the worry in their eyes when you leave. The next day your dad calls you and asks if you need some money. You just know that your mom spent her whole birthday night discussing your situation with her husband. Happy birthday mommy!
After applying for jobs, (online only, your car's brakes are hosed again,) you watch some YouTube videos. Then you browse your favourite dead gay forums, refreshing the pages until you are certain there are going to be no more new posts for a while.
You go to the kitchen and look in the fridge. You've got expired ground beef, and one tortilla. With some spice magic, you make a taco you could probably feed to a dog.
You go and check YouTube again. Nothing new. You check the forums. People bitching about trolls, so nothing new. You go to bed, just to wake up and do it all over again.
Oh wait! There's an egg in the fridge! In the drawer! I forgot about that! Oh man, I'm gonna eat good tomorrow!

So yeah, I'll take your 9 to 5 life over having to deal with that poo poo again any day.

Really though, the worst part of unemployment is the lack of socialization. Sure you can talk to family, or a significant other if you have one, but there's nothing quite like talking to people who don't intimately know you.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Henchman of Santa posted:

Check out this unwiped rear end haver over here

It true. I also subsist entirely on my own boogers and never leave the house (if i can help it) thus negating the need of any enginess

KawaiiAtomicBombs
Apr 15, 2016

~Ka-Boom~

yo rear end is grass posted:

Really though, the worst part of unemployment is the lack of socialization. Sure you can talk to family, or a significant other if you have one, but there's nothing quite like talking to people who don't intimately know you.

I hope you keep beating it, internet friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

poptart_fairy posted:

Farming, nursing and engineering are stable industries tho'.

Nah

:smirks while tilting head back and to the left, shaking head slowly:

lol