Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

King Burgundy posted:

She said she hid behind Stick, so your action would have hit Stick if she's telling the truth.

hmm, so maybe lightning rod, because until day 3 i had no lethal abilities besides poison vig, which wouldn't take effect until the next day

or busdrive caught a vig?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

King Burgundy posted:

She said she hid behind Stick, so your action would have hit Stick if she's telling the truth.

I received only my PM that I had successfully hidden behind Stick. I have no PM indicating that you targeted me, no PM indicating that standing behind Stick did anything to him, no PM indicating that fellow thief IS had stood behind me. Indeed, in the event that I am wrong about him - IS claiming he blew his ult the same turn I did ON me is highly coincidental and an odd choice since there was no reason to believe I would be targeted but no reason to believe, at least based on my read, that he would be. I did everything I could to make sure I drew Chaos' shot and anything stickup could possibly throw at me because I could redirect them flawlessly.

I am a bit surprised at the mechanic but just for shiggles, if anybody would like to cop to target IS personally last night, it'd be fun to know if two Ultimate Thieves would chain.

inb4 Chaos shows up a little bit later today and says, "Oh, I just shot stick for telling me what to do with my own drat vig."

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Wow no one offered to get me up to speed I guess I'll just have to vig somebody at random.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

CCKeane posted:

Wow no one offered to get me up to speed I guess I'll just have to vig somebody at random.

come at me i'll use my ability on myself and kill myself first!

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Absurd Revolver posted:

my odd were a supposition from the info i got from cpig about the job

i figured the backfire chance was at equal odds with each individual power

I don't think that matches this

Absurd Revolver posted:

oh right

so i got to pick three terrain types which equal different abilities

every night i have 1/2 a chance to jail my target, 1/4 of a chance to turn them into a lightning rod, and 1/4 of a chance to jail/lightning rod myself

and

Absurd Revolver posted:

my action sadly failed

now I have two more shots, with bus drive, roleblock, and poison vig added to my roulette

so 2/7 Jail, 1/7 lightning rod, roleblock, poison vig, bus drive, and that last 1/7 is a backfire of any of them

this is a weird role

##vote AR still rereading, but this sticks out.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Bifauxnen posted:

But you spent literally all D2 writing loving speeches about the problems of claiming or not, which often included discussing Asiina's view, or my D1 view on how claiming might be pointless cause everyone was probably locked in for the day anyway, are you trying to tell me that the whole time you were giving me all that poo poo, you were totally spacing out on a pretty key game mechanic and just letting your eyes glaze over the stuff both me and Asiina said that was pretty drat relevant to the topic you devoted all that effort to?

No, I didn't carefully re-read Asiina before submitting two switches in the same day.

It's possible that CPig allowed my specific case because I switched to a higher crystal job right after it opened, and I didn't switch jobs D2 (because I wanted to see what the level 5 monk ability was).

I don't have more jobs than any other player could have if they switched D1, D2, and D3.

Am I the only one who wanted to get a level 5 ability, and so skipped a day of job switching?

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

Grandicap posted:

and

much like how geomancer worked in ff3, terrain types overlap abilities, so i got multiples of jail, roleblock, and busdrive, which matches how the lesser abilities worked

the instakill abilities were tied to specific terrains, hence why they're unique and the others are not

so on day 2 i had 2 jails and 1 lightning rod

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Tobbs what made you want to switch from Ranger after just acquiring it?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Grandicap posted:

and

Those do match, if he made the assumption he says he made.

Geomancy 101:
When you become a geomancer, you pick three terrain types from a list of 10. Each terrain type has an associated effect.
You get one charge of the geomancer ability, also called terrain. It causes a random effect, from the list of your chosen terrain types. It has a possibility of backfiring, the exact chance was not given to me.
At level 3, you pick three more terrain types. You now have 6 possible effects, not including backfire, randomly selected when you terrain. You also get another charge.
At level 5, you get the last four types, your ability now has 10 potential effects. You get another charge.

This is all spelled out at rank 1, actually. The only thing a new geomancer doesn't know is what effects the terrains have (except I knew several, because AR announced them)

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Mithross posted:

Those do match, if he made the assumption he says he made.

You get one charge of the geomancer ability, also called terrain. It causes a random effect, from the list of your chosen terrain types. It has a possibility of backfiring, the exact chance was not given to me.

As I am coming to understand it from your explanations, geomancing causes a random effect from the list of your chosen terrain types, or it could possibly backfire.

On what grounds could one justify the assumption he made? My argument against him certainly doesn't rest on this one point, but if I'm to win the contest I intend to win it on the merits and this one is especially damning (plus, if I do happen to be wrong, I'd prefer to know.) I know you can't quote the PM exactly, but take a look at it: is there any reason for him to assume that the possibility of failure is exactly 25% at Level 1 and then continues to proceed downward as he gains more abilities?

Just off the top of my head here: Is the chance of failure or backfire included as a possible effect of geomancing in a bulleted list? Is there evidence to support that all available terrains and the chance to backfire are equivalently likely?

Because based on the way I'm reading his original explanations versus yours, it seems to me that you've revealed that the terrain type is rolled, and then the chance of backfiring is rolled. Is there any evidence - at least at level 1 - to support the supposition that failure has the same probability as successfully using one of his abilities?

Second: When you say "not including backfire," are you possibly suggesting that the probability of backfiring goes away entirely at Level 3?

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Absurd Revolver posted:

also i targeted you because i think ur scum and your analysis of my actions lends me too much credit

Oh, I'm so glad I didn't miss this.

Eager to hear your case on me. Let's play.

[I have spent the last several minutes attempting to give you the tubechop such a contest between us deserves and the drat thing simply won't cooperate.]

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

peramene posted:

As I am coming to understand it from your explanations, geomancing causes a random effect from the list of your chosen terrain types, or it could possibly backfire.

On what grounds could one justify the assumption he made? My argument against him certainly doesn't rest on this one point, but if I'm to win the contest I intend to win it on the merits and this one is especially damning (plus, if I do happen to be wrong, I'd prefer to know.) I know you can't quote the PM exactly, but take a look at it: is there any reason for him to assume that the possibility of failure is exactly 25% at Level 1 and then continues to proceed downward as he gains more abilities?

Just off the top of my head here: Is the chance of failure or backfire included as a possible effect of geomancing in a bulleted list? Is there evidence to support that all available terrains and the chance to backfire are equivalently likely?

Because based on the way I'm reading his original explanations versus yours, it seems to me that you've revealed that the terrain type is rolled, and then the chance of backfiring is rolled. Is there any evidence - at least at level 1 - to support the supposition that failure has the same probability as successfully using one of his abilities?

Second: When you say "not including backfire," are you possibly suggesting that the probability of backfiring goes away entirely at Level 3?

The chance to fail is given as "a small chance", and isn't part of a list. I personally assumed it was less likely than any given success.

when I say not including backfire, I mean that you would have X terrain effects + backfire chance, for X+1 total effects. I just wanted to keep it separate.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, wait, idiot. Events. We'd never want to hammer before both of the game day's events went down.

##unvote

Ready to see that case AR, and it drat well better be the masterpiece I know you're capable of, or I will mock you soundly in the presence of your wife when this is all over.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

peramene posted:

Oh, wait, idiot. Events. We'd never want to hammer before both of the game day's events went down.

##unvote

Ready to see that case AR, and it drat well better be the masterpiece I know you're capable of, or I will mock you soundly in the presence of your wife when this is all over.

ugh you're going to actually make me case you

i mean it was literally just "who do i think is scum most, probably peramene" and also thought it could be funny

but give me a couple hours to eat dinner and talk politics with my apoplectic mother and i'll give u what u want

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

peramene posted:

##unvote

So I just came in but this seems really over explained and scummy. SMH, SMH. I'm the vig cop I'm going to vig cop doc you.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

King Burgundy posted:

Tobbs what made you want to switch from Ranger after just acquiring it?

It was a 2-shot tracker, very useful to have in my pocket, and the new crystal opened up so I wanted to pick up another job.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

pretty much the only reason I'm leaning town on peramene at all is I cannot conceive of bothering to write posts that long as scum.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I mean I have done some big effortposts in my time, but that one with all the spoiler bars still amazed me

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

But yeah can somebody explain the MAJOR HAPPENINGS I want THOUGHTS PEOPLE I want SCORCHING HOT TAKES.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

CCKeane posted:

But yeah can somebody explain the MAJOR HAPPENINGS I want THOUGHTS PEOPLE I want SCORCHING HOT TAKES.

One major happening was when some other dude made a similar request for people to help him get engaged with the game, and he was scum :v:

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Bifauxnen posted:

pretty much the only reason I'm leaning town on peramene at all is I cannot conceive of bothering to write posts that long as scum.

Not to argue against myself here, or to be - um - "proud of being a manipulative shithead" - but to just play devil's advocate: in Awful Survivor: Games, I gaslighted Lumpen for eight straight hours so that he wouldn't worry he was the target of the ladies' alliance. Even though I was almost 100% sure we had the numbers and were going to totally blindside him, I'd heard he was tricky and I went to town.

Individual game tho. Bit of a different atmosphere. $175 dollars on the line.

Bifauxnen posted:

I mean I have done some big effortposts in my time, but that one with all the spoiler bars still amazed me

Regardless, thank you both for taking the time to spell peramene correctly and for this compliment. I assume it's meant as a compliment.

tbh Bif I don't think most people even read my bigass posts

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

peramene posted:

tbh Bif I don't think most people even read my bigass posts

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

CCKeane posted:

So I just came

Let me try to get you caught up abridged style:

D1 we did two events, Light players got 20 CP and Dark players got 15. A lot of us picked jobs during D1. For example, I took thief.
N1 though we can't be certain how, 4 people died. Kashuno and Stickup came out and said, "welp, we went Black Mage and got vigs so we took our shots."
D2 we did two more events with the same numeric results (I think? doublecheck, you should have a pm with your current balance, that's what matters) and went to bed fearing a Black Mage apocalypse
N2 INSTEAD, Chaos used a special ability given to him by the gods of heavy metal to cancel everybody's abilities. You might even say we all threw away our shots.
D3 we were bewildered as to how nobody had died and spent a lot of time saying a lot of things but ultimately we did two more events and got more CP and then we lynched Mr. F, who flipped scum.
N4 this is a stickup died. Unsure of the exact circumstances, but it appears stickup may have become a lightning rod thanks to AR and myself. Stickup would have then soaked not just anything directed at me (as I had planned) but all abilities, period.
D4 just started this morning but the big things are I have a huge rear end case on AR that includes literally his entire posting history, there's been some action against Tobbs, some discussion of whether or not IS (that's "IllegallySober," he was around for truth or dare last week but only for a hot minute) and myself are genius members of a fake Thieves' Guild, setting up the ability to fakeclaim our jobs.

(This one makes me laugh 'cuz I've totally innocently left some pretty disconcerting messages throughout my post history that just happen to look awful suspicious - so I took the liberty of outlining that argument myself while laughing my rear end off. Literally just openly considering possibilities over the last few days has left me looking suspicious, and as a result a lynch on me might be called for.)

We are currently waiting for today's events where we will get to choose from four options and majority wins. The thinking goes that if the party does well, Light players gain CP; if the party does not do well, Dark players gain CP; and then there are options where both players get CP. So far we have seen Dark players lose CP once, which was a little surprising.

You are gonna wanna take a look not just at jon joe's current job, but the jobs he took in the past. The OP has more info on this but tl;dr you can use abilities from your old job while you're in your new job, they just cost CP to use. There's also affinities to consider that complicate things but don't let it gently caress you up too much. If jon joe was scum, lean on your buddies for help. If he wasn't, glhf because good lord has town made a mess of things so far.

It's been suggested that scum has 3 living players? Out of a total of 14. We have one person claiming 3P (but lurking like a motherfucker) Survivor; Chaos has also claimed a special role that would be kind of advantageous to the lightside but really powerful in scum hands, so who knows. Everyone appears to be able to take jobs like normal despite their role though. I hope that all makes sense.

If it is my fate to die, let it be revealed that I died an elderly woman, unofficial leader of the Thieves' Guild, doing all I could to support the Light from the shadows.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

I just dropped my brother off and decided to read a few posts real quick. I'll be home in an hour or so and can really read the thread but:

Kash I said I was going to shoot BK why in the world did you try to jail and kill him?????????????????

Apologies if this is already answered.

Spell failed, level 5 now, 1 shot doc

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Bifauxnen posted:

One major happening was when some other dude made a similar request for people to help him get engaged with the game, and he was scum :v:

If you don't understand why someone would be hesistant to read 39 pages, MAYBE YOU SHOULD STOP SMOKING THE DEMON WEED, HIPPIE.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

peramene posted:

Let me try to get you caught up abridged style:

D1 we did two events, Light players got 20 CP and Dark players got 15. A lot of us picked jobs during D1. For example, I took thief.
N1 though we can't be certain how, 4 people died. Kashuno and Stickup came out and said, "welp, we went Black Mage and got vigs so we took our shots."
D2 we did two more events with the same numeric results (I think? doublecheck, you should have a pm with your current balance, that's what matters) and went to bed fearing a Black Mage apocalypse
N2 INSTEAD, Chaos used a special ability given to him by the gods of heavy metal to cancel everybody's abilities. You might even say we all threw away our shots.
D3 we were bewildered as to how nobody had died and spent a lot of time saying a lot of things but ultimately we did two more events and got more CP and then we lynched Mr. F, who flipped scum.
N4 this is a stickup died. Unsure of the exact circumstances, but it appears stickup may have become a lightning rod thanks to AR and myself. Stickup would have then soaked not just anything directed at me (as I had planned) but all abilities, period.
D4 just started this morning but the big things are I have a huge rear end case on AR that includes literally his entire posting history, there's been some action against Tobbs, some discussion of whether or not IS (that's "IllegallySober," he was around for truth or dare last week but only for a hot minute) and myself are genius members of a fake Thieves' Guild, setting up the ability to fakeclaim our jobs.

(This one makes me laugh 'cuz I've totally innocently left some pretty disconcerting messages throughout my post history that just happen to look awful suspicious - so I took the liberty of outlining that argument myself while laughing my rear end off. Literally just openly considering possibilities over the last few days has left me looking suspicious, and as a result a lynch on me might be called for.)

We are currently waiting for today's events where we will get to choose from four options and majority wins. The thinking goes that if the party does well, Light players gain CP; if the party does not do well, Dark players gain CP; and then there are options where both players get CP. So far we have seen Dark players lose CP once, which was a little surprising.

You are gonna wanna take a look not just at jon joe's current job, but the jobs he took in the past. The OP has more info on this but tl;dr you can use abilities from your old job while you're in your new job, they just cost CP to use. There's also affinities to consider that complicate things but don't let it gently caress you up too much. If jon joe was scum, lean on your buddies for help. If he wasn't, glhf because good lord has town made a mess of things so far.

It's been suggested that scum has 3 living players? Out of a total of 14. We have one person claiming 3P (but lurking like a motherfucker) Survivor; Chaos has also claimed a special role that would be kind of advantageous to the lightside but really powerful in scum hands, so who knows. Everyone appears to be able to take jobs like normal despite their role though. I hope that all makes sense.

If it is my fate to die, let it be revealed that I died an elderly woman, unofficial leader of the Thieves' Guild, doing all I could to support the Light from the shadows.

Appreciated.

Chaos, do you agree that this is accurate?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Bifauxnen posted:

Ya I kinda agree at this point that level of effort is so high for scum

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

CCKeane posted:

Appreciated.

Chaos, do you agree that this is accurate?

Can't speak to the N3/D4 stuff because I didn't end up reading the thread like I wanted to tonight (family stuff blah blah, will read in AM before I go to work), but the D1-D3 stuff looks accurate. Most of the bewilderment from D3 came from me trying to gambit to out a scum that didn't work.

BK is the survivor claim if no one else pointed that out. He is who I wanted to shoot but that didn't work out apparently.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

Ya I kinda agree at this point that level of effort is so high for scum

Here's hoping you're playing in my first scum game.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

People I would vote today:

BK - I said I was going to vig him. As a "3p survivor" his death gets scum one step closer to winning. While it's possible I was roleblocked, to me the flavor reads more like he was kept safe. I know that is setup speccing the mod and WIFOMing scum but it was pretty clear I was going to shoot BK and not gambit again. Therefore the only reason to protect him is that he is scum, IMO.

Kashuno - Jailed BK. Says he couldn't use the other part because someone was already targeting him. If Cpig gave priority to the other jail though shouldn't Kash's have failed? I don't understand "you successfully jailed a jailed player", but again that is modding the mod. Still don't like it. But if true, all the same the fact that someone who isn't claiming jailed bk and did not follow up with the kill points to BK being scum.

AR - successfully targeted pera who hid behind stickup who died. Claimed a random role. I like this the least but it's still on my list.

Ok off to work

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

##vote bottleknight that was supposed to be in that post too

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Still voting Tobbs for claiming something that doesn't add up to my or asii's experience. Would vote BK for AFKing and 3P

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Right now I would vote the following, roughly in this order:

Tobbs- I don't buy the ability to switch jobs twice in a single game day.

Kash- I don't buy the "poor me CPig missed my action but oh well they were already jailed anyway" line.

Further down the list:

BK- I don't think I buy the 3P Survivor claim and he's lurked a lot

There might be another one in this category too but I'm phone-posting from work and forgot who it was.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I'm not placing a vote yet, however, because of this claim:

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Level 3 bard randomly removes votes and makes me a triple voter.

And we still have events, I think?

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I am all caught up. Hooray!

I am still happy with my job slip vote. But would vote for Bif too. Pera is mega town in my eyes. Posts display a town mindset and a internal consistency.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
won't vote pera at this point or bif.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
13 alive and only 3 votes out there.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Kashuno posted:

13 alive and only 3 votes out there.

Several people have stated their vote preference (including myself) but don't want to be wrong with a claimed triple voter plus a ways until deadline.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Although a 9 AM deadline on a workday is going to be difficult for me. CPig, is that deadline really right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
The Warriors return to the wreck of Cid's Airship and discover that Cid left a note detailing what he would need to make another airship, with an improved design.
They take the plans to Refia's Father , Takka, the blacksmith, and have him outfit the Enterprise with the gear turning it into The Invincible!

The Warriors speak once more with the elders and are told that the Earth Crystal lies below, on the surface world, a world swept with darkness.

They decide that they must go there and with the power of the final crystal they would be able to reverse the Darkness.

When they descend into the surface they find that it has been completely overrun with a mass of dark clouds obscuring everything except a small island with a shipwreck.

They head there.

They find an old man tending to a wounded woman who seems to be some kind of priestess.

When you come near she awakens and tells them she is a water priestess and about how she was attacked by Gutsco who stole the water crystal, but she senses that you have absorbed the power of the crystal.

The old man suggests the Warriors travel to speak with the Scholar and Great Wizard Doga and give them directions.

But as they fly there the are shot down and Crash!

They land in a field near a huge city.

What shall they do?

A.) Visit the city to the north.
B.) Head South
C.) Head West
D. Head East

• Locked thread