Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
also vitors herring win was an absolute robbery. He didnt do a thing to heath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Fat Twitter Man posted:

I don't think there's really anyone else whose highs have been so high and whose lows have been so low. He's absolutely had a hall of fame career for fighting in the UFC for 20 years alone.

alistair is a better version of vitor. he roided more and won more stuff

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Grifter posted:

Conor Macgregor? Where da fook do you think he's from?

Takeshima

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
In the last thread someone asked for fighters that crossed sports and had success and I'm very mad at all of you for not giving Jienotsu an honorable mention.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Bundt Cake posted:

True

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Grifter posted:

Conor Macgregor? Where da fook do you think he's from?
This seems like a horrible fight for Nick and I hope he takes it. I'm not even anti-Nick, I just love seeing Maia breakdance on guys who have good jiu jitsu.

good catch. I CnPed the first line from the old OP and then second-guessed myself when correcting it later.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

Bluedeanie posted:

Also Valentina is getting talked up as Nunes' next challenger, but I think Pennington has earned her shot imo

She blew out her shoulder helping Rousey prepare for Nunes, out 6-9 months.
http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/18421274/ufc-bantamweight-raquel-pennington-injured-shoulder-sparring-ronda-rousey-mma

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA
Err, from the article you linked it was injured before she went to help Ronda?

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

Zwachro posted:

Err, from the article you linked it was injured before she went to help Ronda?

Yeah, I had read it when it first went up and didn't remember the timeline right. my bad, and it was a bicep tear and clean up on her labrum and rotator cuff

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.instagram.com/p/BP5jNRIFL2A/

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
I think TJ beats Cody.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Well that sucks, I guess Valentina it is.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Bundt Cake posted:

overeem is cool too

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

The best couple in fighting. Good God I love them. I forget if it was Chael's or Serra's podcast but they were on one of them and they seem to be touring America in a RV. It sounds awesome.

I was away during anything to do with the Overeem/Stipe card and it sounds like I missed some poo poo. Anyone got a funnier recap than google?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Captain Log posted:

The best couple in fighting. Good God I love them. I forget if it was Chael's or Serra's podcast but they were on one of them and they seem to be touring America in a RV. It sounds awesome.

I was away during anything to do with the Overeem/Stipe card and it sounds like I missed some poo poo. Anyone got a funnier recap than google?

At the very least, you have to see this in its entirety:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iAg2IywPvo&t=145s

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
TJ and Cody is gonna rule and I hope Cruz goes away and I never have to see him "fight" again.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Power of Pecota posted:

Oh sweet Jesus Trump God.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Power of Pecota posted:

I thought Rogan said he was done interviewing people who are clearly concussed

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

I thought Rogan said he was done interviewing people who are clearly concussed

This was the interview that made him say that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Power of Pecota posted:

"Let's take a look at it one more time!"
Stop Joe, he's already dead! :gonk:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Power of Pecota posted:

if we ever do the 2016 awards this still has my vote for funniest moment

i was crying

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Power of Pecota posted:

How is so subtly sassy during this, it's amazing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rather than make me laugh, that interview made me reflect on the ethics of watching a sport in which brain injury is a goal post.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CommonShore posted:

Rather than make me laugh, that interview made me reflect on the ethics of watching a sport in which brain injury is a goal post.

Almost every major sport that has any kind of contact at all is going to lead to some brain damage. While i agree that its hard to watch poo poo like that, concussions occur in pretty much everything except baseball and even then the occasional guy gets domed.

There is basically no way to make most sports, especially combat sports, brain safe.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr. Nice! posted:

Almost every major sport that has any kind of contact at all is going to lead to some brain damage. While i agree that its hard to watch poo poo like that, concussions occur in pretty much everything except baseball and even then the occasional guy gets domed.

There is basically no way to make most sports, especially combat sports, brain safe.

Yep that was pretty much my thought.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Ban all sport for profit

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

You can see the Korean mainland from the Dokdo Islands.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You can see Russia from Sarah Palin's house...

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

tumor looking batty posted:

You can see the Korean mainland from the Dokdo Islands.

When America gives back Hawaii then we'll discuss how important being able to see the land from is relevant to title claim, which of course Takeshima belongs to Glorious Nippon.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

david carmichael posted:

Ban all sport for profit

why? do u think athletes dont know what their occupational hazards are? dont u think they would have at least made 1 or 2 friends or came into contact with a professional health worker at some point in their career that would tell them about it even if they didnt take the time to find out on their own? people die and get crippled working in regular jobs all the time. and frankly beating the poo poo out of eachother for a living is safer and easier on your body than a lot of them. i agree with the sentiment that there should be more done to educate and protect athletes though

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Why isn't Maia fighting for the titel instead of karate boy who definitely lost a fight

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wild Horses posted:

Why isn't Maia fighting for the titel instead of karate boy who definitely lost a fight

Because Trump's UFC gives opportunities to bootstrapping handsome American men, not to decadent foreign playboys.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Grifter posted:

This seems like a horrible fight for Nick and I hope he takes it. I'm not even anti-Nick, I just love seeing Maia breakdance on guys who have good jiu jitsu.

I think Nick would probably bring in a better strategy for survival on the ground than Condit's weird belief that he was going to somehow retain guard and strike from the bottom until Maia gassed. Nick trains with Shields, the only guy who has been able to keep up with welterweight Maia on the mat. That said, (a) Nick'd still get taken down and lose, I just think it would take slightly more time and effort in Maia's part to find the sub, and (b) fight won't happen because Nick was spoiled by the paydays from losing to GSP and Anderson.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Wild Horses posted:

i would rather see woodley fight maia too

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I.N.R.I posted:

why? do u think athletes dont know what their occupational hazards are? dont u think they would have at least made 1 or 2 friends or came into contact with a professional health worker at some point in their career that would tell them about it even if they didnt take the time to find out on their own? people die and get crippled working in regular jobs all the time. and frankly beating the poo poo out of eachother for a living is safer and easier on your body than a lot of them. i agree with the sentiment that there should be more done to educate and protect athletes though

I certainly don't think I'm more aware of the risks than the athletes, with exceptions for your Paul Harrises. Still when I watch someone get hurt real bad it makes me wonder what I get out of it and if my sister isn't right to be repulsed by the whole thing. I keep watching tho.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
This list of champions is extremely weird but joanna and mmmmmdj being the old hats is super ok to me.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

Comuniss

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Schenck v. U.S. posted:

Nick trains with Shields, the only guy who has been able to keep up with welterweight Maia on the mat.

Lol, keep up? Shields thoroughly outgrappled Maia, imo it wasn't especially close.

Nick has never been submitted, and took Condit's back effortlessly during the past minute of their fight.

Outside of Maia and Jacare, the Diaz Bros have some of the nicest BJJ in the game.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno what my point was, cuz I think Nick will still definitely lose a ground battle with Maia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Rocky getting hurt that bad sucks. She's not a dynamic fighter but she has some fun brawls and some brutal submissions.

• Locked thread