Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
:siren:THIS IS A SHITPOST FREE ZONE:siren:

If you want to get into circular firing squads over ideological purity there's a forum for that.

If you want to rehash the eternal 2016 primary holy war or the general dumpster fire that is American politics there is a forum for that!

If you want to whine and cry about how SJW's and safe spaces are ruining everything whaddya know! There's an entire website for that!

Absolutely no more discussion of nazis or punching nazis or people talking about punching nazis or anything the current U.S. presidential administration is doing that reminds you of nazis in the current events thread.

Take the train to the ghetto for your fix on hot takes and reverse circlejerks.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...hreadid=3807561

Mod Edit:

Please do not shitpost in CE.

Please do not make provocative arguments for their own sake. I'll be the judge of intent.

On the other hand, if someone is making a provocative argument, it should be simple and easy to ignore that person. If they are making a stupid argument, it should be easy to prove the other person wrong. Calling someone a nazi, idiot, deluded, etc. is not an argument, and will get you a probated quickly.

It takes cooperation for trolling to succeed. Think hard about whether to report instead of reply.

And remember, this is the current events thread. Manifestos and hot takes on the election don't belong here unless it's a footnote in a discussion on something current.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

PM Hottie Trudeau's office got Fox to issue a retraction and apology regarding the ethnicity of the Quebec Mosque shooter.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/31/media/fox-news-justin-trudeau/index.html

I'm impressed on how he's handling this situation.

Oh, and a nice little shot across Trump's bow with this statement.

quote:

"If we allow individuals and organizations to succeed by scaring people, we do not actually end up any safer," she wrote. "Fear does not make us safer. It makes us weaker. Ramping up fear and closing our borders is not a solution. It distracts from the real issues that affect people's day to day life."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/826801911420559365?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

They don't even need the Dems now to approve Cabinet positions. Jesus loving Christ.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

quote:

I get what you are saying. My step dad, for example, won't change his mind about anything because he sees politics like sports, exactly like you said.

But the effect of telling him to gently caress off is way worse than just ignoring what he says, or engaging him in good faith.

This is probably the case for 99% of people. I would argue that sometimes the best approach isn't "gently caress off," but rather just ignoring it if you can't engage in good faith.

The question is, how is ignoring people perceived by the people being ignored? You can ask Trump supporters that. "Our racist, xenophobic views were ignored for so long that we were willing to support the first goblin who spoke to us directly".

Ignoring people with terrible opinions is marginalization at best, an insult at worst. And it can give bad ideologies room to grow unopposed, as we've seen.

Confrontation is not always a bad thing.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Vengarr posted:

I agree with you, but the way you confront things is important. Simply saying "gently caress off" or insulting people is not the way to confront things, and will just exacerbate the problems.

I didn't say ignoring someone is ideal. I said ignoring someone *that you won't engage with in good faith* is the better solution. Or the lesser of two evils. However you want to define it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Cole is posting good things atm.

---------
My current event is that my local library is the size of a 3-car garage and carries zero periodicals. The LARGE PRINT section is roughly 1/3 of the non-kids area. With the exception of one of the two employees, I was the youngest person in the building by at least two decades.

:sigh:

Anybody have a digital subscription to the NYT? I've got a couple of questions about the tiers.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

Vengarr posted:

The question is, how is ignoring people perceived by the people being ignored? You can ask Trump supporters that. "Our racist, xenophobic views were ignored for so long that we were willing to support the first goblin who spoke to us directly".

Ignoring people with terrible opinions is marginalization at best, an insult at worst. And it can give bad ideologies room to grow unopposed, as we've seen.

Calling everyone you disagree with a Nazi racist xenophobic bigot on the other hand... well that worked swimmingly and totally doesn't lead to you purging everyone who doesn't match ideologically until you start feeding on your own circle for not being pure enough.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Wait why is the CE thread monthly now?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

sky shark posted:

Calling everyone you disagree with a Nazi racist xenophobic bigot on the other hand... well that worked swimmingly and totally doesn't lead to you purging everyone who doesn't match ideologically until you start feeding on your own circle for not being pure enough.

Oh its okay, the GOP/Trump are working on that Purity thing as we speak ;)

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

This isn't breaking news or anything, but I just learned that Jason Chaffetz's mom divorced his dad and remarried Michael Dukakis. It explains so so much :lol:

http://www.advocate.com/news/daily-news/2009/12/22/chaffetz-own-guy-despite-pro-gay-ties

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

CommieGIR posted:

https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/826801911420559365?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

They don't even need the Dems now to approve Cabinet positions. Jesus loving Christ.

whelp

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Hey y'all, it's black history month, let's see what Trump has to sa- :stare:

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/826816423909539841

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/826819885183406084

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CommieGIR posted:

If you use extreme measures to prevent the GOP from confirming cabinet nominees, it shouldn't come as a surprise when the Republicans retaliate in kind.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That video is only missing a statement like "I have lots of black friends" to be pure distilled Trump Administration.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

sky shark posted:

That's the other end of the spectrum, obviously. Being unwilling to debate is naturally just as bad (if not worse) than being too willing to debate.

TBeats posted:

I agree with you, but the way you confront things is important. Simply saying "gently caress off" or insulting people is not the way to confront things, and will just exacerbate the problems.

I didn't say ignoring someone is ideal. I said ignoring someone *that you won't engage with in good faith* is the better solution. Or the lesser of two evils. However you want to define it.

I generally agree, but acting in good faith requires accepting that other party is also operating in good faith. Extending that faith to people with zero interest in reciprocating is a bad idea. At the very least, don't extend the olive branch a second time if it got thrown back in your face the first time.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

sky shark posted:

Look, I learned before the election even happened that pointing this out will get you nowhere. It's best to just let those people double down on thoughts like this, get shellacked in 2018, and then soak up the canned sunshine when it gets opened because that's the only sweet release we will ever get as a species now.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Torrannor posted:

If you use extreme measures to prevent the GOP from confirming cabinet nominees, it shouldn't come as a surprise when the Republicans retaliate in kind.
Yep, they used the nuclear option to get rid of filibusters on cabinet nominees during Obama's term: http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/312540-schumer-regrets-dems-triggering-nuclear-option

This coming around to bite them (everyone) in the rear end is on their shoulders

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Torrannor posted:

EDIT: N/m

But let's not pretend this is some sort of 'Retaliation' rather than a consolidation of power.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

:siren:THIS IS A SHITPOST FREE ZONE:siren:
Take the train to the ghetto for your fix on hot takes and reverse circlejerks.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...hreadid=3807561

[advertisement]
There's a photos/meme ghetto right here in GiP:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3808248
[/advertisement]

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Vengarr posted:

That's the other end of the spectrum, obviously. Being unwilling to debate is naturally just as bad (if not worse) than being too willing to debate.

The problem is that I don't think we have any of those people HERE (the Nazi racist xenophobic bigots). And yet there are a couple of posters who keep doing that poo poo. We're on the same loving team in GIP: Cynical Welfare Queens for Dogs (HCT spray pain that on the side of your bus). If you want to treat the extreme ends of the political bell curve like poo poo, I think most of the center would agree with you. But making GBS threads on the middle and where the curve starts to dip towards the right is literally a huge part of why we're in this situation and it's going to keep making things worse.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The nuclear option was pretty necessary. There were hundreds of positions that were unfilled due to the overuse of filibusters.

If they hadn't dropped the bomb, it would be President Trump filling those federal judge seats. Likely after dropping the bomb himself (literally or figuratively, you be the judge). So...

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

TBeats posted:

This. There are definitely people you can write off, but you should in most cases be arguing not to persuade the person you're debating with, but those looking on with less firmly-entrenched opinions. If your opponent makes an argument that sounds a little sensible to onlookers, you do direct detriment to your position if you rely on belittlement and mockery at the expense of substance. Sure, it feels good to you and the other guy probably even deserves it, but you look like a twat to a low-information third-party.

Of course, if the other person is a literal nazi, punch away.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Godholio posted:

Cole is posting good things atm.

---------
My current event is that my local library is the size of a 3-car garage and carries zero periodicals. The LARGE PRINT section is roughly 1/3 of the non-kids area. With the exception of one of the two employees, I was the youngest person in the building by at least two decades.

:sigh:

Anybody have a digital subscription to the NYT? I've got a couple of questions about the tiers.

You can read 10 articles a month per digital device without subbing. Idk if that's what you were asking.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
You know in last months thread where that dude actually referenced his comment? That looked pro as gently caress.

That's all I got to say about that.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Cugel the Clever posted:

This. There are definitely people you can write off, but you should in most cases be arguing not to persuade the person you're debating with, but those looking on with less firmly-entrenched opinions. If your opponent makes an argument that sounds a little sensible to onlookers, you do direct detriment to your position if you rely on belittlement and mockery at the expense of substance. Sure, it feels good to you and the other guy probably even deserves it, but you look like a twat to a low-information third-party.

It also convinces them that you're not worth engaging. Look at how many people ignored Bernie based solely on his idiot supporters.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Godholio posted:

The problem is that I don't think we have any of those people HERE (the Nazi racist xenophobic bigots). And yet there are a couple of posters who keep doing that poo poo. We're on the same loving team in GIP: Cynical Welfare Queens for Dogs (HCT spray pain that on the side of your bus). If you want to treat the extreme ends of the political bell curve like poo poo, I think most of the center would agree with you. But making GBS threads on the middle and where the curve starts to dip towards the right is literally a huge part of why we're in this situation and it's going to keep making things worse.

The ugly truth a lot of people on the left won't admit to is that the majority of this country lies on the slightly right part of that curve and it includes millions of minorities. As long as the left keeps on insisting that a combination of neoliberalism and ever progressive social issues will totally work this time we're going to see apathy from those minorities and an alienation of nominally independent white people. It's sad, and if you skew to the left it's disheartening, but it's the truth.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

^Agreed. I used to be WAAAAAY further to the right, now I'm fairly centered I guess. A lot more socially liberal, that's for drat sure, but I still like guns and big military. But I am so far to the left of most everyone around me that it's insane. If I took the tactic of making GBS threads on people in debates I'd probably be cut out of all human contact here except saying "hi" to the walmart greeter.

Mr. Mambold posted:

You can read 10 articles a month per digital device without subbing. Idk if that's what you were asking.

10 articles isn't nearly enough for what I have in mind. I'm curious if the cheap tier allows you to read old articles and if so, is there a delay or anything? IE, can I sign up for the cheap one and read yesterday's paper and older? I had another question but forgot it because I'm only halfway through my coffee.

I have similar questions on other papers, so if anybody has insights I'd appreciate it. :)

Godholio fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 1, 2017

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Godholio posted:

10 articles isn't nearly enough for what I have in mind. I'm curious if the cheap tier allows you to read old articles and if so, is there a delay or anything? IE, can I sign up for the cheap one and read yesterday's paper and older? I had another question but forgot it because I'm only halfway through my coffee.

I have similar questions on other papers, so if anybody has insights I'd appreciate it. :)

Digital Subscribers:

— 1923–1980: Your digital subscription includes 100 archive articles every four weeks in this date range (from January 1, 1923 through December 31, 1980). After you’ve reached the 100-article limit for the month, articles from 1923 through 1980 are $3.95 each.

— Pre-1923 and post-1980: Articles published before January 1, 1923 or after December 31, 1980 are free with your digital subscription and are not limited in any way.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
As soon as I find a moderate actually willing to have a discussion I'll have one. Until then I'll keep trolling Trump supporters hoping they have a stroke.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

if your values and beliefs are so fragile that mean words or a shitpost from a stranger on the internet shatter them and change your mind, maybe they weren't really what you believed in the first place?

It's a figleaf is all I'm saying.

(Please note this doesn't necessarily apply to interactions with people IRL or your friends and family.)

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Godholio posted:

I subscribe to the cheap version ($4.99, I think?) and I've been able to look at any article I like.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

if your values and beliefs are so fragile that mean words or a shitpost from a stranger on the internet shatter them and change your mind, maybe they weren't really what you believed in the first place?

(Please note this doesn't necessarily apply to interactions with people IRL or your friends and family.)

:allears:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Do you think the internet had anything to do with Donald Trump's election?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

you are a boot licking fascist.

you're welcome you now have an excuse to continue posting the way you've been posting for years

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

sky shark posted:

This coming around to bite them (everyone) in the rear end is on their (everyone's) shoulders

Fixed.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Godholio posted:

You can read it for free forever from an incognito window.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

you are a boot licking fascist.

you're welcome you now have an excuse to continue posting the way you've been posting for years

I'm sure not being able to probate people who disagree with your terrible & counterfactual opinions is burning you up right now.

BTW, you are 100% part of the reason Trump won, and you failing to learn the lessons from it after some kabuki performance handwringing & mock soulsearching is pretty hilarious to watch.

PS, you don't know what fascism is.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Proud Christian Mom posted:

As soon as I find a moderate actually willing to have a discussion I'll have one. Until then I'll keep trolling Trump supporters hoping they have a stroke.

The problem is moderates are seeing you trolling Trump supporters and then turning on the TV to see airports blocked and people getting assaulted and they are being pushed away. Someone has to be the adult here and if Republicans are such shitheels it has to be the Democrats. If they are also unwilling to be adults, each successive election we have from here on out is going to be the electorate throwing ever bigger anti-establishment and populist bombs into the machine. That's a loving dangerous gambit to gamble on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

sky shark posted:

I'm sure not being able to probate people who disagree with your terrible & counterfactual opinions is burning you up right now.

BTW, you are 100% part of the reason Trump won, and you failing to learn the lessons from it after some kabuki performance handwringing & mock soulsearching is pretty hilarious to watch.

PS, you don't know what fascism is.

Catering to ignorant asshats isn't going to win the Dems anything worth note.

• Locked thread