Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
(Sections directly lifted from KatWithHand's Season 1 OP!)

This thread will contain SPOILERS for Season 1! If you have not finished Season 1, do that first and stick to that thread!

Official Season 2 synopsis: "The story of THE EXPANSE unfolds across a colonized galaxy 200 years in the future, when two strangers – a hardened detective, Joe Miller (Thomas Jane), and a rogue ship’s captain, James Holden (Steven Strait) – become unwittingly swept up in a vast conspiracy to cover up a horrific human experiment. As Season 2 kicks off with interplanetary tensions at an all-time high, the cold war between Earth and Mars is on the brink of an all-out battle."
Official Site: http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse

Double Episode Premiere: Feb 1st 10PM/9PM on Syfy.

The Characters

James Holden
Former almost-XO of the now-destroyed Canterbury. Earther. Now de-facto captain of the stolen Martian frigate Tachi, re-christened Rocinante. Has an overdeveloped sense of responsibility, which may have been permanently triggered by guilt due to being the roundabout cause of the Canterbury's destruction. Fiercely loyal to his crew to a fault.

, alternatively
Josephus Miller
Former Star Helix(private police) officer on Ceres. Belter. A bit of a washout-waste of a cop who's working with a newly discovered strength of conscience. Became slightly obsessed with discovering the fate of Julie Mao, to the point of inadvertent career suicide, burning his goodwill with the OPA and leaving Ceres to inadvertently link up with Holden's crew. Now that he's learned the fate of Julie, he's searching for those responsible for the Eros disaster and bring them to something approximating justice. The hat may very well be gone for good.

Naomi Nagata
Former Canterbury engineer, particularly overqualified and brilliant at her job. Belter. Has a vaguely defined past of working with/for the OPA and doing things she regrets. Seems to be becoming the emotional anchor for the Rocinante, keeping everything grounded and mediating internal disputes.

Alex Kamal
Former pilot of the Canterbury, now pilot of the Rocinante. Martian. Retired low-level pilot for the Martian Navy. Alex is more emotionally affected and sympathetic by the events on Eros, and seems to be a terrible drinking buddy.

Amos Burton
Former mechanic on the Canterbury, now mechanic, meatbus on the Rocinante. Earther. Amos has a very... direct and simple view of the world free of pesky things like abstract morality or conscience. He looks to Naomi for guidance, she's basically his external compass for right/wrong and he defers to her almost completely.

Chrisjen Avasarala
Deputy Undersecretary of the UN, the UN runs Earth. A shrewd and adept politician with a demonstrated propensity for "winning" at high cost, Chrisjen realizes that Mars and Earth are being manipulated into war and is working her own resources to find out who is responsible and prevent it.

Juliette Andromeda Mao
Dead. The misguided and idealistic daughter of a very rich and powerful Earther, Julie was briefly captured by the ship(of unknown provenance) that destroyed the Canterbury, and came in contact with the Protomolecule. She fled to Eros, where she was overcome with the infection and died. Her body was used to obtain samples of the protomolecule to infect citizens of Eros.

Fred Johnson
Former UN military commander who was held responsible for the murder of belters rioting on Anderson station while they were trying to surrender. Left the Earth military to run Tycho Station in the belt and is now a higher level member of the OPA. Also working on building the Nauvoo for the Mormons(?!) Was instrumental in Julie Mao's fate, as he was her OPA contact who sent her after the ship containing the protomolecule.

Bobbie Draper
Martian armored commando. New character for Season 2.

The Places/Factions

Earth - Earth is a comfy place to exist, comparatively. Currently inhabited by approximately 30 billion citizens, the vast majority of which depend on basic government assistance for all material needs and do not work. A job is a rare and precious commodity. Led by the UN.

Mars - Former Earth colony, now independent. An escalation of aggression that took place before the series led to Martian independence and tensions are reduced, but ongoing. Mars is still mostly uninhabitable, but a decades long plan for terraforming the planet into an unspoiled, Earth-like habitat is underway. Mars has a very strong economic and scientific presence in the system.

The Belt/OPA - The asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter, with major settlements on Ceres and Eros. Mined heavily for raw materials to support ease-of-life on Earth and ongoing terraforming efforts on Mars. Living conditions are generally terrible and the belters generally feel that they are abused and taken advantage of by Earth and Mars alike. The OPA(Outer Planets Alliance) is a semi-terrorist organization that seeks Belter independence and self-governance. Due to gravitational differences, people raised in the Belt tend to be tall and very slender. The low gravity requires a cocktail of drugs to ward off developmental issues when growing up.

How Do They Eat or Breathe? Any Other Science Facts?
A few bullet points
- The invention of the Epstein Drive means that ships no longer take lengthy circuitous fuel-sipping routes from place to place. Now they accelerate constantly in a mostly linear fashion straight toward the objective, then flip around and burn to decelerate the rest of the way. Travel between places in the show takes hours/days instead of weeks/months.
- Weaponry tends to be still projectile based. Torpedoes, railguns, and plain old bullets.
- Stealth tech is a thing.
- Gravity is simulated through acceleration/deceleration on ships and via spinning stations with people walking on the outer edge of rings with their heads toward the center. Gravity is still much lower outside of Earth, for example it's only about 0.3G on Ceres. Moving between gravitation levels can be hard on people accustomed to higher or lower gravity conditions.
- Good coffee is hard to find.
- The show is generally very highly praised for its adherence to science. Newton's laws are in full effect.

By the end of Season 1, Julie was dead and Eros's citizens had been rounded up into shelters, dosed with the protomolecule, and then bombarded by tremendous doses of radiation to feed it and accelerate its evolution. Monitoring equipment has been set up to document the effects, and while our heroes have identified particular individuals as responsible, the master architects behind the plan and the objective are still unknown.
Miller had met up/teamed up with the crew of the Rocinante to escape Eros. Miller and Holden have been hit with enough radiation to become night lights.
Amos killed an old friend of Miller's who tried to get them to leave on the Rocinante before Holden and Miller arrived.
Now the Rocinante is returning to Tycho station to report to Fred Johnson and enlist help in raiding the station to where the Eros perpetrators have fled.

If you would like this recapped in a video starring cats, that's a thing you can have in your life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivej0OW7WZk

Season 2 episode names/dates. Don't seem particularly spoiler-y, but just in case:

Episode Air Date Episode Name
1 Feb 01, 2017 Safe
2 Feb 01, 2017 Doors & Corners
3 Feb 08, 2017 Static
4 Feb 15, 2017 Godspeed
5 Feb 22, 2017 Home
6 Mar 01, 2017 Paradigm Shift
7 Mar 08, 2017 The Seventh Man
8 Mar 15, 2017 Pyre
9 Mar 22, 2017 The Weeping Somnambulist
10 Mar 29, 2017 Cascade
11 Apr 12, 2017 Episode 11
12 Apr 19, 2017 Episode 12
13 Apr 19, 2017 Caliban's War

Lastly, but not at all least, please be cool about book stuff. Keep it in its own thread. I imagine it's cool to mention things that have already happened and even discuss differences and expound on show happenings as long as you're not spoiling future stuff.

edit: There's a two week break between episodes 5 and 6, which is why some of the lists seem a little weird. No mid-season break, thankfully.

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?
Is that supposed to be 30 billion on Earth?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Arthur Bowlsworth posted:

Is that supposed to be 30 billion on Earth?

Yep, I think it's been mentioned at that figure a few times.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

AlternateAccount posted:

I think they mean your post says "million"

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

AlternateAccount posted:

Then you might consider fixing the typo in the OP. ;)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What if Earth is just padding their numbers? Yeah, there's totally 30 billion people in our buildings here, don't bother coming over to check.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cojawfee posted:

What if Earth is just padding their numbers? Yeah, there's totally 30 billion people in our buildings here, don't bother coming over to check.

Analyse the atmosphere to see if that checks out.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Cojawfee posted:

Derp. You know you can't trust the Earthers anyway. They're probably grinding up the unemployed to make soylent.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

OP needs cat miller tho

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

OP ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Edit: OP's fast!

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
"Stolen Martian frigate"? More like lawfully salvaged Martian frigate.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
Really good show, thanks for reminder.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
I hope the recat becomes tradition.

I also hope that the season two disc set has more special features when it gets released. For all the stuff they released online for season one, the only special feature on the disc is deleted scenes from the first episode :sigh:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

KatWithHands posted:

I hope the recat becomes tradition.

I also hope that the season two disc set has more special features when it gets released. For all the stuff they released online for season one, the only special feature on the disc is deleted scenes from the first episode :sigh:

Redeem the UV code. If you do, Vudu has all the 5 minute individual episode specials.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Redeem the UV code. If you do, Vudu has all the 5 minute individual episode specials.

Oh, cool! I got the DVD set as a gift and there was no code there, but this is important info for anyone who did get the blurays. Thanks!

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Adam Savage has a look at the costumes in the show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fJoWSOYn6U

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
So stoked for this. Missus hates scifi, so gotta watch this alone. Tempted to rewatch season 1, but no time if this kicks off tonight

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

The new character is seriously named Bobbie Draper? Are they going to recast her three or four times?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
What about Prax?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ShakeZula posted:

The new character is seriously named Bobbie Draper? Are they going to recast her three or four times?

idgi

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
http://www.vulture.com/2009/08/mad_men_replaces_bobby_draper.html

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hahahahaha

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Daktari posted:

So stoked for this. Missus hates scifi, so gotta watch this alone. Tempted to rewatch season 1, but no time if this kicks off tonight

Mine hates scifi, too, but she watches this and digs it. She kind of thought maybe at the end of S1 that she was gonna hafta bail, but the first 2 of Season 2 brought her back.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

How are people watching the first two episodes already? Syfy hasn't released them early and the premiere isn't until 10pm tonight.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I marathoned the first season a couple weeks ago and enjoyed the show quite a bit. Kinda bummed I can't watch it live due to my work schedule.

I like the Martian's, even if some of their patrol ship grunts are huge assholes. :argh:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

bull3964 posted:

How are people watching the first two episodes already? Syfy hasn't released them early and the premiere isn't until 10pm tonight.

Maybe there was a release on a private tracker somewhere.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Alamo Drafthouse screened the first 2 episodes on Jan 30 at some of their locations.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

bull3964 posted:

If you mean the people at the end of the season 1 thread, the Alamo Drafthouse(s) held screenings just the other day. (Unless I missed some big news since last night...)

e. beaten like a mouthy Belter

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Would have been nice if they did a little wider release to other theaters.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

that's Alamo tho. It's also not exactly the hugest moneymaker

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm not talking about it being a money maker. I'm talking about access. Alamo Drafthouse isn't exactly a widespread chain with only 25 locations. If they did the first two episodes as a Fathom Event, more people would have had the opportunity to see them

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Another adam savage video, prop guns, space suits and helmets for the show: https://youtu.be/QXwe51lkJ6M

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

drunkill posted:

Another adam savage video, prop guns, space suits and helmets for the show: https://youtu.be/QXwe51lkJ6M

Those are some cool helmets.

e: Wow that backpack. :krad:

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 1, 2017

sdr782
Jun 7, 2005

"I said it was dodgeball time, bitch."
Will the Season 2 episodes be available to watch on SyFy's website after they air? Going to miss the premiere tonight unfortunately.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Dunno when they'll go up, but Syfy shows always do.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Netflix still isn't announcing Season 2 .... hope I don't have to stream it from somewhere else...

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

flosofl posted:

The Alamo Drafthouse screened the first 2 episodes on Jan 30 at some of their locations.

They also gave us EXPANSE CHOCOLATE BARS. I kid you not.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

bull3964 posted:

I'm not talking about it being a money maker. I'm talking about access. Alamo Drafthouse isn't exactly a widespread chain with only 25 locations. If they did the first two episodes as a Fathom Event, more people would have had the opportunity to see them

Right but Alamo is positioned to do that. If fathom made more sense financially I'm sure they would've done so

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

AlternateAccount posted:

They also gave us EXPANSE CHOCOLATE BARS. I kid you not.

These ought to be Milky Way bars.

That is, the international version. The Milky Way and Three Musketeers brands are swapped in the U.S..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Casual Encountess posted:

Right but Alamo is positioned to do that. If fathom made more sense financially I'm sure they would've done so

The whole thing appeared to be sponsored by SyFy, who subsidized adult beverages & popcorn for the crowd. Technically, the screening was "free" but you could guarantee a seat with a $5 voucher. I have a feeling SyFy trades publicity for whatever the Alamo can make on food/drink.

• Locked thread