Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
My school seems to hand out stripes based mainly on number of classes attended for white belt, but then mainly based on level/ability for blue belt on beyond (assuming minimum time reqs are met). It seems to work pretty well.

For rolling, the beginners' classes are ~55 minutes drills with 5-10 minutes very controlled positional sparring at the end. Intermediate (2 stripes and above) are more like 40 minutes drills and 20 sparring from given start positions. More advanced (4+ stripes) is only 15 minutes instruction and then all open rolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
My gym doesn't hand out belts too easily. We are pretty focused on competition (not required though) and when more than 60% of everybody is competing all the time it's kinda hard to bullshit who is or isn't properly ranked. I like it. That being said it's about 2 years from white to blue, 3 from blue to purple. And that's if you show up a few times a week and the head instructors don't have to yell at you during rolls for doing poo poo wrong. No idea about brown belt, I think you have to murder a fellow purple belt to ascend.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
My gym is pretty frugal with promotions. Unless Royce shows up for a seminar, then everybody gets a new belt :/

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Undeclared Eggplant posted:

My school seems to hand out stripes based mainly on number of classes attended for white belt, but then mainly based on level/ability for blue belt on beyond (assuming minimum time reqs are met). It seems to work pretty well.

For rolling, the beginners' classes are ~55 minutes drills with 5-10 minutes very controlled positional sparring at the end. Intermediate (2 stripes and above) are more like 40 minutes drills and 20 sparring from given start positions. More advanced (4+ stripes) is only 15 minutes instruction and then all open rolling.

How big is your school that they have separate classes for beginners and 2-4 stripes?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Seltzer posted:

How big is your school that they have separate classes for beginners and 2-4 stripes?

I *think* that Gracie Barra sets their curriculum up like that.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm gb and we have classes for 0-3 stripes and one for 3+.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Seltzer posted:

We were Gracie Barra but they went independent a few years ago. And they just added the 1-2 stripe class level in between the other two a few months back. It's in Chicago so there are a lot of students. There's a morning, lunch, and 3 evening classes every day so there's plenty of room to mix in the different levels. The evening classes range from 10-20 people so they're doing pretty well.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

CommonShore posted:

We need to combine these two smilies somehow under :bjj:

Some one in my school got inspired by this picture.

And wrote this song: Blue Belt Blues

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

manyak posted:

You gotta ignore Willie dee in this thread, he 'trains' grappling on the ground at a planet fitness with his buddy who sells him steroids

Do you train BJJ in mid air and not on the ground?! I mean flying arm bars are cool and all but for how long can you fly exactly?

I googled planet fitness and my gym does actually seem like a less bad one of them, its got a full size cage and boxing ring.

My main training partner who started from scratch with me got a silver medal at his first BJJ tournament against people in his weight class and the weight class up because they got merged on the day.

I train with a lot of pro fighters who use my gym as a second gym outside of pro training, including an ex olympian, an ex Pride fighter, an Ex UFC fighter and about 4 BAMMA fighters, yea I don't go to an MMA gym but I don't think it's fair to say I "train".

The guys want me to take a fight on the next card but my girlfriend won't let me, nor do I think it's fair now I have tried steroids, so I can't be that bad.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

That still doesn't answer my question about your previous babbling about not striking and it hindering your progression in jiu jitsu.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

What I mean, is that when I am older, and not training any striking or lifting weights, I could see myself joining a nice friendly BJJ gym but being so uncompetitive that I never really go past blue belt for a long long time, and not being bothered by it.

Captain Log posted:

When I spoke to the reception girl (she seemed very young) I think she was a blue belt after a year or something. It struck me as fast but maybe she is excellent.

If she is the reception girl, the chances are she trains very very consistently and might have a larger link to the gym than you realise. One of the Gracie Barra places in my city has a girl (I can't remember what belt she is but she is very good) and she just happens to also be a ring card girl at MMA events, you would never suspect either fact about her meeting her out and about.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Bangkero posted:

I hit this last night on a fat teammate. I hardly go for triangles nowadays and he thought I was crazy for trying it but little did he know I had goon help on my side. :smug:

I felt so confident I hit it on 2 other not fat teammates. Granted, I was successful against other blue belts - when I tried this on my purple and brown teammates my triangle setup was seen from a mile away and I was quickly stuffed. Which leads me to conclude my setup problem is greater than my short legs problem. :smith:
That's great that you were able to hit triangles on people your level. If you want to play around with some triangle entries, do you know the hip bump sweep entry into triangle?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

willie_dee posted:

What I mean, is that when I am older, and not training any striking or lifting weights, I could see myself joining a nice friendly BJJ gym but being so uncompetitive that I never really go past blue belt for a long long time, and not being bothered by it.

If she is the reception girl, the chances are she trains very very consistently and might have a larger link to the gym than you realise. One of the Gracie Barra places in my city has a girl (I can't remember what belt she is but she is very good) and she just happens to also be a ring card girl at MMA events, you would never suspect either fact about her meeting her out and about.

You are all correct! It is a Gracie Barra gym that divides classes at a certain stripe level. I learned today the young receptionist is the wife of the instructor, who I met.

I couldn't sign up today though because they were closed to install new mats. I'll take that as a good sign.

I'd quote you all but it would be huge. Thanks for the advice.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yuns posted:

That's great that you were able to hit triangles on people your level. If you want to play around with some triangle entries, do you know the hip bump sweep entry into triangle?

I like triangles. The majority of my competitive wins are scramble triangles.

Ryan Hall's triangle hip bump video is cool and quite comprehensive. Thanks, Yuns!

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

We were discussing injuries the other day, I went and got a platelet rich plasma injection in my knee last week. Took some time off and today was my 2nd day back in class since the shot. I feel a lot better, little to no pain in spots that used to suck pretty bad for my leg and I feel like I have more movement.

My roll progression was pretty absurd today for no real reason. 1 stripe white belt, to female 3 stripe blue belt, to 150lbs black belt, to 280lbs brown belt twice. I'm basically dying.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

JaySB posted:

We were discussing injuries the other day, I went and got a platelet rich plasma injection in my knee last week. Took some time off and today was my 2nd day back in class since the shot. I feel a lot better, little to no pain in spots that used to suck pretty bad for my leg and I feel like I have more movement.

My roll progression was pretty absurd today for no real reason. 1 stripe white belt, to female 3 stripe blue belt, to 150lbs black belt, to 280lbs brown belt twice. I'm basically dying.

gently caress me. You're a brown, right?

(Belt. I'm talking about the belt here.)

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Captain Log posted:

gently caress me. You're a brown, right?

Blue. And not a good one.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

JaySB posted:

Blue. And not a good one.

I apologize as my useless brain thought you were Yuns.

Still, holy gently caress that rolling.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

JaySB posted:

As someone who enjoys half guard and the kimura I thought this video was pretty cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLLQBxG1ojo

Hey man thanks for posting this I hit it on two different people today and I was stoked as hell. Another goon help success story.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Captain Log posted:

I apologize as my useless brain thought you were Yuns.

Yuns is el negro

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

Yuns posted:

I'm familiar with the hip bump sweep/guillotine/kimura combo but I looked up Ryan Hall's triangle entry that Common mentioned. Nowadays I play mostly open guard (butterfly) since I need to get better at it, but I'll get back to closed guard and try the hip bump sweep triangle entry. I appreciate the insight, thanks Yuns!

Marching Powder posted:

Hey man thanks for posting this I hit it on two different people today and I was stoked as hell. Another goon help success story.
Glad this worked for you - I totally sucked rear end when attempting any of the combos. I'll have to practice it slowmo during open mat or try it against the white belts.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/03/sport/iran-usa-wrestling-team-visa-denied/index.html

This is, uh, pretty interesting

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Ahahahaha, that's loving great. I can't wait for all events to be hosted in Switzerland.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

quote:

the organization said in a statement. "Wrestling is about competition and goodwill through sport, and is no place for politics."

"The big meanies in Iran won't just allow US citizens into Iran to go wrassle ; I mean if we held a big wrasslen competiiton right now the US would gladly let the Iranian team in, with no problemo! "

:sigh:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I miss the Olympics, when the US Russia and Iran went arm in glorious Arian arm to resist the (((IOC)))'s attempt to remove he-man butt touching from the games.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Xguard86 posted:

I miss the Olympics, when the US Russia and Iran went arm in arm to resist the (((IOC)))'s attempt to remove he-man butt touching from the games.

sorry man but i'm going to need you to expand a bit on this topic

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Marching Powder posted:

sorry man but i'm going to need you to expand a bit on this topic

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/05/15/world/us-iran-and-russia-unite-to-save-olympic-wrestling.html

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Some wrestler guy I know on facebook said it might be as retaliation for the US archery team that blocked Iran from participating at their games.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm pretty sure it has more to do with Trump's travel ban since Iran responded almost immediately by saying they would not be issuing any visas to anyone from the USA.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

It's 100% the Trump thing

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Alright, I've been thinking about making this post for days. I feel like a good deal of people read our forum that are afraid to post and possibly afraid to train. Here is a little chunk of my story for those folks.

If any of you post or read Pet Island, you have a pretty good idea that I've had a challenging few years. Being sober from booze for three years was supposed to be a new beginning. Unfortunately, it uncovered a host of medical things I've been living with my whole life. If you want details, PM me. I have an open book policy with this stuff. But no need to go through everything here.

I was actually considering a complete career 180 and joining the police force here in Nashville. About two months later, after speaking with multiple officers and a recruiter, I almost died. Long story short - my gallbladder became clogged with a gallstone and I turned septic. The routine surgery to remove it went downhill loving fast and two additional surgeons were called in to assist.

A one foot incision, thirty-two staples, and two weeks of being out of my mind in the ICU left me done. I was already strongly advised against continuing any training outside of loving yoga. I didn't like the sound of that, but my body quit. By December (over a year since the surgery) I felt so physically done that my family had to get movers to help me pack so I could get a place with my ailing father. I thought I was going to feel flu level sick for the rest of my life. My career was in restaurants and universities. If you feel so sick you want to die for practical reasons, career is far from your mind.

But I finally found a doctor who listened about my neurological problem (Type One Chiari Malformation with non-stop tinnitus and memory issues) Without going into detail, he prescribed me a medication that feels like it's turning me human again. I've slept eight hours a night without getting up. I've spent all my life only sleeping when exhausted. This medicine has me feeling like a fifteen year old.

START HERE IF YOU WANT TO SKIP THE EN/TR PART OF THE POST

I still wanted to feel better and get back to a gym. I've been as heavy as 260ish in college and as thin as 200 when I was a ranked fencer. But my body, that felt like trash a month or two ago, felt young again. I managed to pass two neurologists tests and get cleared for Jiu Jitsu.

What was the TINY step I took that got me feeling ready to get back to it?

Something my Dad does - Exercise at home with a weight, pen and paper. Every time you finish a set, make a mark. I started doing basic exercises and could barely get out a set of push ups. Every curl felt like my feeble arm was about to fly off. But I kept going as those hatch marks started to add up. Rather than one inch, it was one millimeter at a time. But boy howdy, it was moving forward. I'm up to six sets a night of an expanded list of exercises for this month.

I should be back at the gym next week as my local place was closed to install new mats. I might be the worst, most un-athletic, clusterfuck of cells to ever step foot in a gym. But I went forwards, one scratch on the paper at a time. Strangely, the people from this forum that contacted me to make sure I didn't die really touched me and pushed me further.

Whatever the gently caress it is, you can do it. Let's see your hatch marks, we'll cheer for you like hell.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Aight

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Captain Log posted:

Alright, I've been thinking about making this post for days. I feel like a good deal of people read our forum that are afraid to post and possibly afraid to train. Here is a little chunk of my story for those folks...

Awesome man, that's great you're going to be able to get back out there. Just being out for a month or so puts me in such a funk (its always been like this with some sport/activity or another, even before bjj) that I can't even imagine dealing with poo poo on the level you're describing.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Kekekela posted:

Awesome man, that's great you're going to be able to get back out there. Just being out for a month or so puts me in such a funk (its always been like this with some sport/activity or another, even before bjj) that I can't even imagine dealing with poo poo on the level you're describing.

I try to live my life with the thought I'll regret what I don't do rather than what I did. The older I get, the more helpful it becomes.

Over the years the thread has been filled with stuff that's pretty cool to think about. Dudes coming back from all sorts of injury and whatnot. I just wish some hidden readers would give it a try.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Good stuff captain log.

Judo Tournament trip report. I went into seniors and masters. In masters my first match was against a national team black belt. He got me with a drop seoi early, and I rolled with it and ended up on his back with double hooks and his neck, but they gave him ippon.

Second match I went against another fast athletic guy who hit me again with drop seoi and this time I reversed it and got to a tight as gently caress scarf, but they gave him ippon. I was kinda choked about that.

In masters I took gold in a 2 guy division. I was fighting at -73 kg instead of my usual -66 kg, and they combined me up with -90 kg (two divisions). He was an older guy at his first tournament and I smoked him with counters, including a 5 sec footsweep oippon, which is currently leading for fastest of the day award.

My 15 yr old students are up this afternoon.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 4, 2017

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I got smoked in seniors not masters sorry. One guy took silver so far. The other is up soon but he's really outmatched - first competition and he's up against a national youth team member.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

CommonShore posted:

I got smoked in seniors not masters sorry. One guy took silver so far. The other is up soon but he's really outmatched - first competition and he's up against a national youth team member.

Do you listen to any music between matches to pump you up? It's all fencing centric but I've seen some weird competition rituals in my time.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Captain Log posted:

Do you listen to any music between matches to pump you up? It's all fencing centric but I've seen some weird competition rituals in my time.

I'm anti-pump. I get myself into a Fedor-like ennui.

Our novice got smoked so bad that I hope that he comes back to judo. I gave him a pep talk but he had a ridiculously unfair and mismatched division and bracket.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So, I'm strongly considering changing gyms. Not going to go into it but it got me wondering... Say from white til purple, is it more likely that you'll change your gym or remain at the same place? I seen me staying where i am until i guess purple at least but that's unlikely to happen now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I think your going to have to say why your thinking of changing, if it's personal drama then I understand not going into detail, I went from a Gracie Bara gym to my Planet Fitness fun times because of how uncompetitive the gym was, that even I felt that I was training with guys who didn't want to win anything ever.