Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Okay, that cake was the last thing I expected to see on tonight's show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
yeah

quite literally I never expected to expect "the cake is a lie" trope to be anything less then fictional.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Guest quality has dramatically gone up and is getting less fluff but Stewart was also plagued with that poo poo early on as well.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

SyRauk posted:

Guest quality has dramatically gone up and is getting less fluff but Stewart was also plagued with that poo poo early on as well.

It's a different show and has been with Trevor from day one. But it's also been pretty good since day one.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I dropped out of TDS watching several years back, for no particular reason, just lost track of it.

Having caught a couple of Trevor's episodes in the last weeks, I'm really enjoying his style and angle. Also his voice/accent is weirdly addictive.

So it's back on ye olde DVR list, but having kids kind of makes it hard to work through even a small backlog. Urgh.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

mdemone posted:

So it's back on ye olde DVR list, but having kids kind of makes it hard to work through even a small backlog. Urgh.

I generally skip the guests on talk shows unless I'm really interested in them; I just don't have the time to watch everything I want to so have to cut things out where possible. TDS is only ~22 minutes in the first place, but at least the guest segments chop off maybe 1/3 of that. I watch the first segment of The Late Show and fortunately it cuts the 60 minutes down to about 15.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I went to high school with Michelle Wolf. It is insanely creepy to hear you people talk about her boobs and hair

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

fridge corn posted:

I went to high school with Michelle Wolf. It is insanely creepy to hear you people talk about her boobs and hair
You've never talked about the boobs and hair of some girl you went to high school with?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Neal Brennans Special on Netflix is very good btw.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Atomizer posted:

I generally skip the guests on talk shows unless I'm really interested in them; I just don't have the time to watch everything I want to so have to cut things out where possible. TDS is only ~22 minutes in the first place, but at least the guest segments chop off maybe 1/3 of that. I watch the first segment of The Late Show and fortunately it cuts the 60 minutes down to about 15.

I used to skip the guests on Jon's Daily Show, especially when they were actors and celebrities promoting poo poo, but Trevor's interviews pack a punch. He's only starting to catch his comedic stride, but I think the interview segment is drastically improved over Jon's already, and very much worth watching.

Treyvon Martin's parents? Yeah. Watching that.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

coyo7e posted:

You've never talked about the boobs and hair of some girl you went to high school with?

I don't think we ever talked about any girl's hair in high school.

Edit: Actually no, one chick shave her hair Junior year and we talked about that. Also her boobs.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Lol wow Michelle Wolf is from Hershey? She is exactly like every Hershey girl I have ever known, maybe that's why I always found her comedy so uncanny.

Her boobs and hair are certainly unique, however.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Jon is on Colbert tonight, apparently.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

banned from Starbucks posted:

hes worse than 3 wars and trillions lost?

Sometimes I think that Trump is a continuing repercussion of 9/11 and the massive injection of panicked xenophobia it caused. Repercussions and reverberations extending for over a decade into the form of this fool who will topple the country from within thanks to the approval of scared people who don't read enough.

Sometimes I feel paranoid.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Did anyone else have the interview with Anthony D. Romero cut out in the middle?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Yeah, that was definitely a glitch on the network end.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, it still had the logo in the corner so it wasn't Time Warner like it usually is.

The sound just cut out on @Midnight so some poor Comedy Central tech is having a really bad evening.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

This is how jumpy we all are right now. Trevor had to talk Twitter off the ledge.

https://twitter.com/Trevornoah/status/826650500988882944
https://twitter.com/Trevornoah/status/826660082150686720

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I like the idea that Trevor goes home at night and watches his own show.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

raditts posted:

I like the idea that Trevor goes home at night and watches his own show.

It's probably still new enough to him that he finds it incredible. Let him get a few years under his belt, get a little jaded.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Steve Vader posted:

Jon is on Colbert tonight, apparently.

It was a really good bit IMO. I miss him a lot, as I'm sure we all do. I think Trevor's doing as good a job as he can, and he's getting better, but obviously Stewart would have been great to have around over the last few months.

I liked Hassan's segment last night too.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 2, 2017

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Lost it at, "I need a white person sommelier."

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Very tangential, but if you're hungry for a little more Report, last night's Colbert had a callback to the On Notice board.

Also, this bit feels very much like an old Report bit. The end of it gives me an excuse to share it in this thread.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Echo Chamber posted:

Very tangential, but if you're hungry for a little more Report, last night's Colbert had a callback to the On Notice board.

Also, this bit feels very much like an old Report bit. The end of it gives me an excuse to share it in this thread.

The ending bit was indeed great.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
Holy poo poo, that Golden Guy pop up. I'm posting from the grave.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

SgtSteel91 posted:

Did anyone else have the interview with Anthony D. Romero cut out in the middle?
I'm really getting tired of the three dead pixels in the upper-left middle of the loving picture

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
For some reason, Hulu took off The Daily Show and @Midnight. This bums me out. :(

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
Viacom seems to be getting out of streaming. I was about to get PS Vue until they lost Comedy Central earlier.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, it's viacom, not Hulu.

Viacom has repeatedly said in the past few months that they want to bolster the traditional pay TV model and would be withdrawing from streaming.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I've got the Comedy Central app on my Roku and can still get them.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

mdemone posted:

I dropped out of TDS watching several years back, for no particular reason, just lost track of it.

Having caught a couple of Trevor's episodes in the last weeks, I'm really enjoying his style and angle. Also his voice/accent is weirdly addictive.

I was wondering why this year's Daily Show thread was only two pages deep when we're almost two months into it. I guess it's not for lack of quality, just lack of interest. Honestly, I thought that Jon Stewart got less funny and more angry in his last few years, it just took until Colbert left the Report for it to become apparent. I haven't really come back to it post-transition, mainly because political comedy recently has emphasized laughs less and righteous anger and catharsis more (see: Last Week Tonight starting around mid-2015 or so).

I've heard the correspondents are still good, though. Their segments were always the highlights as Jon descended deeper into hopelessness.

bull3964 posted:

Viacom has repeatedly said in the past few months that they want to bolster the traditional pay TV model and would be withdrawing from streaming.
This seems like a way for Viacom to give the finger to people who don't pay their ISP for cable TV as well, but whatever makes them more money is what's gonna carry the day, so who cares what I think? At least, I assume that's why they're going this route. It's not the most well-run media conglomerate.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Yeah the Stewart generation is done. I still watch but I'm not able to watch live anymore so I catch up after the fact. Thread is pretty dead these days which is a shame as the correspondents still knock it out of the park usually. Ronnie Chieng feels criminally underused and Roy Wood Jr and Jordan Klepper are solid these days. Hassan Minaj is also usually excellent though his "teen talk" segments don't really do it for me (probably cause I'm 32 next month).

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I started watching The Daily Show in 2001 when I was 14. I still watch it today, but I feel like I'm in the older end of its intended audience now. I'm still a little bit younger than Trevor himself, for what it's worth. But I can imagine someone Trevor's age or older giving up because they've been expecting the host to impart some wisdom and long-term perspective.

Like I kind of feel like the show is still geared more towards people who "only started following politics" somewhat recently; not necessarily for audiences who have vivid memories of the political landscape of the early days of George W. Bush's administration, which in some ways was more bleak than it is now.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Well it was definitely quiet this week because there were no new shows this week, only clip shows. When there are new episodes there are usually a few posts.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Eh, I don't know, I remember the pre-Stewart days (shudder!) and I still like the show. Trevor's different but the show's largely bigly the same. I think it's just been quiet here because the show is generally pretty consistent and routine, rather than having a once-a-week bombshell segment like LWT, for example.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I don't think the actual quality of the show is the only issue. During the Bush admin, there was Stewart and that was it. Eventually he had Colbert batting cleanup behind him, but you still watched Jon first either way. Now Colbert, Oliver, Bee, and probably like 8 other people I'm forgetting are all doing unofficial TDS spinoffs on other channels and drawing away attention. There are some people who will watch all of the shows, but that's a lot of TV.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Janice from accounting don't give a gently caress!

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

rujasu posted:

I don't think the actual quality of the show is the only issue. During the Bush admin, there was Stewart and that was it. Eventually he had Colbert batting cleanup behind him, but you still watched Jon first either way. Now Colbert, Oliver, Bee, and probably like 8 other people I'm forgetting are all doing unofficial TDS spinoffs on other channels and drawing away attention. There are some people who will watch all of the shows, but that's a lot of TV.

I watch TDS, LWT, FF, and the first segment of TLS, but none of those other late night talk shows (sorry Seth, gently caress Fallon, etc.) Only the Daily Show alumni.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Who did the make up on John Oliver? It's trump levels of tangerine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
The Daily Show Classic happened again, felt real good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmdFne7LnuA

• Locked thread