Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

If you walk away from the morgue fight going "man how boring" then you may want to see a psychologist because clearly you cannot find joy in life.

To clarify, only the start would have been boring without the bags. Once you unlock the chainsaw the fight becomes great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

RE4 has a lot of good lines but there's always been one line that stood out to me as odd. When Krauser and Ada are being catty to each other, Ada says something to the effect of "I met Wesker long before you did" and Krauser replies "We'll see if that's true soon enough." Like, what? I get you don't trust her, K-man, but what does that mean? Are you planning on verifying that? How, ask Albert "Everything I've Ever Said Has Been A Lie" Wesker? And why? What difference would that make in your current situation?

Jack Krauser is a fuckin' goober, you guys.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
The Jack spectacle was pretty cool but if I had to replay it multiple times it would be grating. Kinda like when you realize the stealth is bullshit and just haul rear end everywhere.

Crowetron posted:

Ada says something to the effect of "I met Wesker long before you did" and Krauser replies "We'll see if that's true soon enough." Like, what? I get you don't trust her, K-man, but what does that mean? Are you planning on verifying that? How, ask Albert "Everything I've Ever Said Has Been A Lie" Wesker? And why? What difference would that make in your current situation?

That line caught me when I replayed it not too long ago. I'm guessing it's either lovely writing or poor translation and it's meant to imply she's been on Team Wesker for longer than Krauser so her loyalty is less questionable than his. The whole thing is hamfisted and she immediately does the Ada thing and betrays everyone anyway so it's probably not worth thinking about too much.

Krauser is still a dumb as hell non-character.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 30, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah but sick knife fight.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Mailer posted:

That line caught me when I replayed it not too long ago. I'm guessing it's either lovely writing or poor translation and it's meant to imply she's been on Team Wesker for longer than Krauser so her loyalty is less questionable than his. The whole thing is hamfisted and she immediately does the Ada thing and betrays everyone anyway so it's probably not worth thinking about too much.

Krauser is still a dumb as hell non-character.

Ada's line makes sense since she's lazily trying to pull rank just to shut him up. Krauser's come-back doesn't really work as a threat, though. I've also wondered if it's just an awkward translation.

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah but sick knife fight.

The QTE knife fight is still the only place in the whole game where I consistently die at least once. That and that weird two tiered water room in the castle on Professional.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Crowetron posted:

Ada's line makes sense since she's lazily trying to pull rank just to shut him up. Krauser's come-back doesn't really work as a threat, though. I've also wondered if it's just an awkward translation.

It's either a translation issue or perhaps one line got revised but not the other. There might have been a line Ada said at some point where Krauser's made sense.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm glad I'm not the only one that was confused by that line. :v:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Nah, makes sense in seperate ways, wesker is trying to get ada to kill leon and krauser knows it. Hence the "we'll see soon enough" line. They are waiting to see if she actually will take out leon or not, then wesker gets krauser to do it instead. Also ada met wesker back in racoon city when she first got her longshot thing from him and krauser didnt meet wesker until after javier in 2002, not sure when ada met krauser but both krauser and wesker know shes always been a wild card.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm kind of surprised they never found any way to bring Krauser back to life because 13 year old me thought he was cool as hell

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
Hi RE thread, I just finished VII and overall thought it was great though I felt that the last quarter lost a ton of steam. I hope this becomes the new standard for RE games from here on out.

I realized after I beat it that I somehow never got around to playing RE VI. I've heard a lot of negative buzz about it. If loved RE IV and had a lot of fun with V, would I still enjoy it? Or is it just that bad?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

LordZoric posted:

Hi RE thread, I just finished VII and overall thought it was great though I felt that the last quarter lost a ton of steam. I hope this becomes the new standard for RE games from here on out.

I realized after I beat it that I somehow never got around to playing RE VI. I've heard a lot of negative buzz about it. If loved RE IV and had a lot of fun with V, would I still enjoy it? Or is it just that bad?

RE6 isn't necessarily *bad*, it is just fairly aimless. The made a massive game that never really goes anywhere. I would say it is worth a shot if you get it on sale.

Also RE6 is actually a fighting game and don't let anyone tell you any different.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Agreed, replaying it now in chrono order and i'm suplexing dudes left and right and its great.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

LordZoric posted:

RE6 has brilliant controls and basic gameplay and everything else sucks. I'm actually playing through it atm and having a lot of fun with it, partially in marveling at how utterly insane the campaign is. For example, at one point you spend half an hour pressing A every time you see a giant fish and then you slide down a water slide after it, then a completely inexplicable barrel of TNT flies over your head and blows it up and nobody ever mentions it again. If video games are art, RE6 is dadaism

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Resident Evil 6 was extremely good because the first night I played it I was relentlessly pursued by zombies controlled by an extremely high guy who kept getting higher and more incomprehensible as the night wore on, so his tactics for controlling the zombies got sloppier and more animalistic while his speech got all slurry and word salady. Really helped sell the experience.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
This game was pretty cool in VR.

I'm typically not a fan of face aiming controls, but I think Resident Evil is slow enough that it works out. The game is definitely easier in VR.

Also, is the circular saw just as powerful on regular enemies in Madhouse?

Also, RE7 was cool and I don't mind if future RE games are like this, but I hope they don't ditch the RE5/RE6 gameplay

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
Thanks guys! RE5 was goofy as hell but was definitely my thing, so if 6 is that dialed up even higher I think I'll enjoy it just fine.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Ok I just got RE6 and I want to change the FOV but can't find it anywhere?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Some rose-tinted glasses going on, but I'm midway through RE5 (first time since launch) and I think RE4 does a much better job in combat arena design. No problem with them aping the highly memorable village siege sections from early RE4 in the early Africa levels in 5, but the sandy alleys & streets felt more rigid and less organic than the Spanish village. A lot of 5 feels kind of linear compared to traversing the same village sections across the first few hours of 4 - 5 feels less memorable in terms of place. Mostly though, RE4's controls and mechanics feel a bit tighter (not a fan of the 'active inventory' in 5) and the level designs suit them better.

So many personal RE4 highlights:
- first village
- sniper valley with crossing bridges
- 4 water pools room (love this one)
- garrador trap cage
- twin garradors in small hallway after the clock tower (another fun one)
- round staircase tower climb to Salazar
- regenerator lab
- assault on the base with Mike

So far in RE5, less is sticking out to me...
- beach/docks fight has some cool elements
- dark mines w/ one person holding the lantern
- licker mines w/ long glass walkway
- conveyor belt fight

Can't quite put my finger on it.

I got 6 when it came out and beat Leon's scenario but just didn't like it at all so I never played the others. I've considered revisiting it after finishing 5 HD, but I just remember it feeling so all over the place.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

The REAL Goobusters posted:

options->camera

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

It's under Camera Settings.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Ah yeah I found it, I just had to get through the beginning tutorial of the game with Leon or whatever, then I was able to get into the game options when you can choose the campaigns or whatever from the main menu.

Bad Llama
Jan 2, 2007
pwnerer
Um, I think RE7 in VR is literally the best game experience I've ever had.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I was listening to BBC's In Our Time podcast and they did a episode recently on parasitism. One of the guests mentioned one of the parasites from Luis' first memo in RE4, the one that infects the snail in order to end up in its target bird host.

If humans only use 10% of their brains then the other 90% of mine is storage for all of the useless bullshit I can remember so quickly. Still, I love it when stuff I hear about in a game comes out in real life, especially when it's real-life science facts :science:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

C-Euro posted:

If humans only use 10% of their brains then the other 90% of mine is storage for all of the useless bullshit I can remember so quickly.
I'm going to stab 90% of the surface of your brain to see if it improves its functioning

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Playing through REmake right now, I'm enjoying all the additions to the original game but holy moly playing Chris seems like it would be an absolute nightmare with the increased amount of crap to lug around with his dinky inventory. I'm already playing item box shuffle way more than I had to in the original as Jill.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Playing through REmake right now, I'm enjoying all the additions to the original game but holy moly playing Chris seems like it would be an absolute nightmare with the increased amount of crap to lug around with his dinky inventory. I'm already playing item box shuffle way more than I had to in the original as Jill.
Yeah, Chris only having the six item slots plus the worthless lighter instead of the lockpick really forces him to run around more.

Still not as bad as managing items in RE0 though.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It isn't so bad once you've played through as Jill and know where everything is. Plus the new rooms and shortcuts around the mansion also help for when you do need to get back to an item box. I've recently played Resident Evil 1 (as in the original) again and bad voice acting aside, one of the things I noticed is that there is no shortcuts, if you need to get from one end of the mansion to the other you gotta go through all the rooms again. The addition of the graveyard and the shortcut that leads from it to the painting puzzle room is actually a Godsend in how much backtracking it reduces and how much more quickly you can make it to an Item Box if you need to.

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.
After making it halfway through RE7 on Madhouse difficulty, I decided to take a break and try an easy mode speedrun instead. Just finished and learned you get an overpowered circular saw and x-ray glasses for beating it. Wish I had known that before starting Madhouse...

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I've been working on my Chris times in REmake, and lacking the lockpick really only affects the first part of the game (up to the Residence). I think it works out to 3 additional rooms Chris has to enter that Jill doesn't. The worst part of playing Chris is losing access to the grenade launcher and Barry's magnum, that's brutal because it forces him to actually try a little bit against all the bosses that Jill gets to no sell.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Plus he has no idea how to do science so i don't think there's a way for him to cheese the plant boss? Don't know how you'd do that in a knife only run.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lots of wild flailing at tentacles by the looks of it.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

It's possible to knife with good positioning and lots of upslashing but it's pretty tough to do without taking a ton of damage. He can get captured and rebecca will have to make the v-jolt formula though by letting richard die in the mansion.

Other than that you just use the assualt shotgun and audio cues to fire at the off screen core. It's the best he can do.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
So almost done with RE5 but man does the game lose some steam in the later chapters specifically around chapter 5. Feel like the level design is mostly an after thought as they keep throwing more bullet sponge-y enemies. Still having a lot of fun with it in co-op though. Looking forward to RE6 next now lmao

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

So almost done with RE5 but man does the game lose some steam in the later chapters specifically around chapter 5. Feel like the level design is mostly an after thought as they keep throwing more bullet sponge-y enemies. Still having a lot of fun with it in co-op though. Looking forward to RE6 next now lmao

I've been replaying all the main series games this month too and 5 is the first time I've felt just "ugh" about one of the games. I remember enjoying it back when it was originally released, but when you play it immediately after the 4th game it's clear that something was lost.

Leon Cross
May 10, 2016
Yeah. I'm hesitant to say if I want another RE4, but I'd enjoy it if done right.

It's a rare case where it's not even a nostalgia issue; RE4 is just such a near perfect game that trying to make another game like it is bound to fall short.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nickname Pending posted:

After making it halfway through RE7 on Madhouse difficulty, I decided to take a break and try an easy mode speedrun instead. Just finished and learned you get an overpowered circular saw and x-ray glasses for beating it. Wish I had known that before starting Madhouse...

Please be strong and complete madhouse without cheat items

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

frank.club posted:

Please be strong and complete madhouse without cheat items

Why even bother playing the hard mode if you're going to cheat at it? Having to legitimately overcome your challenges is the best part.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:lol: that is the same discussion going on in the RE7 thread right now.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Its almost as if the people playing the game are busy adults who don't wanna spend god knows how long a single section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
games are the exact opposite of serious business and people can play them however they like