Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulbo
Nov 4, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

Can someone remind me how the proto molecule got on board to where Amos is messing with it at the start ?

It was in the safe of the derelict stealth ship they boarded (and blew up) in S1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

mastershakeman posted:

Can someone remind me how the proto molecule got on board to where Amos is messing with it at the start ?

It's the safe they cut out of the Anubis last season.

DentArthurDent
Aug 3, 2010

Diddums
That was a fantastic pair of episodes, what a great start to the season. The sci-fi geek in me still can't really believe we are getting a (relatively) hard sci-fi series that depicts space travel so realistically, and at the same time is such a great drama. Every scene with Avarsarala was amazing. I do agree that Frankie Adams seemed a little hammy in some of her scenes, but hopefully her performance will smooth out a bit as the show goes on. Certainly she has the look of the character down pat.

Milky Moor posted:

Those were some good goddamn episodes. The little disagreement between Miller and Amos in the galley was fantastic. Wes Chatham is a great Amos, couldn't be better.

When I was watching that scene, where you see Amos basically say to himself "Right, I told you to stay down, so now you die", all I could think is that he would make a great terminator. Not that we need another terminator movie...

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I didn't mind Bobbie's actor, for where the character's at right now how she was represented made sense. Even if her performance doesn't turn out to be that great, she's right in the Amos tier of "Yep that's what that character should look like."

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
What a fantastic premiere. I dunno what the ratings will be like, but SyFy has done a genuinely fantastic job creating sci-fi again. I hope they keep it up.

I've never read the books so I dunno what happens on the whole, but I liked Bobbie. It was really just an intro to her, but I get the feeling she'll be a one-woman pain machine by the end of the season. Her actress just gives off that vibe, and it worked really well for being a new character.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Bobbie was a little shaky for me too, but by the end I guess I did buy into the idea that she's just so drat angry and ready to murder.

What did Alex say when they flipped around behind the stealth ship and started perforating them? My brain remembers it as "Surprise, cockfags!" but I am sure that wasn't it.

Also, there was a lot more profanity in the unedited Alamo presentation. Avasarala's "I know how it loving works!" was a pretty big shock. What did they do for broadcast?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

AlternateAccount posted:

Also, there was a lot more profanity in the unedited Alamo presentation. Avasarala's "I know how it loving works!" was a pretty big shock. What did they do for broadcast?

She sure as poo poo said that on the Space broadcast.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They bleep out a little early so you her say "I know how i-ucking works."

Syfy has been toeing the line since Magicians last year with bleeping profanity.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

AlternateAccount posted:

What did Alex say when they flipped around behind the stealth ship and started perforating them? My brain remembers it as "Surprise, cockfags!" but I am sure that wasn't it.
Assholes, not cockfags.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Bobbie is so hardcore anti-earth I don't see how everyone who has to deal with her on a daily basis isn't straight up rolling their eyes at her the whole time.

edit: also, nice cuts on the f-bombs, SciFi!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

NowonSA posted:

I didn't mind Bobbie's actor, for where the character's at right now how she was represented made sense. Even if her performance doesn't turn out to be that great, she's right in the Amos tier of "Yep that's what that character should look like."

It’s the writing, not the actress.

She’ll have her development when she gets her rear end kicked.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Was the belter mission commander Michio Pa?

My god did this premier blew my expectations out of the water and they were high. BSG who?

gohmak fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 2, 2017

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Doctor Butts posted:

Bobbie is so hardcore anti-earth I don't see how everyone who has to deal with her on a daily basis isn't straight up rolling their eyes at her the whole time.

edit: also, nice cuts on the f-bombs, SciFi!

So will we get Avasarala F bombs and Naomi titties on the bluray?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

The version I watched had an Avasarala F‐bomb.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Platystemon posted:

The version I watched had an Avasarala F‐bomb.

There was more than one F-Bomb dropped in that episode, but both were edited out so that you only heard the 'Fff'

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Doctor Butts posted:

There was more than one F-Bomb dropped in that episode, but both were edited out so that you only heard the 'Fff'

Yeah, okay, the one I was thinking of was “I know how the fu—ing thing works”. The /k/ sound is cut, but it’s subtle enough it could be mistaken for a dropped packet.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

:siren: There are reports that Amazon/Google Play versions of the premiere are missing some scenes, so watch out for that.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
It's a shame all but a handful of actors on this show are any good but that's the Syfy price we must pay.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I guess I wasn't just oblivious.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Y'know, one thing that really surprised me about this episode was the density of plot. Like, that's just not very common in modern writing. Year, source material, etc., etc. But I can't think of very many series that give this much dialogue over to questions of "how will this affect the world around us." I'm not really going to offer a qualitative opinion of that, but the self-hating lit-fic educated genre-writer side of me is watching this thinking "No, no, how does this develop the character! No one cares about the plot!"

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
edit: nvm I suck at reading

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Who's the young woman that looks like to be Fred's "2nd in command?" Liked her shouting to the belters before the mission started, also the body language in that scene was incredible.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Axel Serenity posted:

I've never read the books so I dunno what happens on the whole, but I liked Bobbie. It was really just an intro to her, but I get the feeling she'll be a one-woman pain machine by the end of the season. Her actress just gives off that vibe, and it worked really well for being a new character.

Bobbie and Avasaralah actually aren't even introduced until the 2nd book. We're still only about 3/4 of the first book in the show. The interesting thing though is that they're not moving up their storylines. They're just showing what they were up to prior to their first introductions in the book.

Compared to The Magicians which is incredibly liberal with its adaptation of those books, The Expanse is so far fairly loyal to what we see in the books. They've dropped very little (like the origin of the armor the security forces were wearing on Eros), and introduced a lot of really great stuff in their place. On top of doing a little bit of weaving in character elements that we don't learn about until later in the book series, like Naomi's past.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Dessel posted:

Who's the young woman that looks like to be Fred's "2nd in command?" Liked her shouting to the belters before the mission started, also the body language in that scene was incredible.

I think it's Sam, but I don't have any actual idea.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
This show is extremely my poo poo, but I have to say that space battle was the most thrilling one I can recall since BSG

Alex's speech at the bar made my eyes water up a bit :3:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Verified not in iTunes version either. I just scrubbed through the entire episode "Safe". While it should show between the UN meetings, nothing. From a narrative perspective in the iTunes/Amazon/GooglePlay version of the episode, the viewer doesn't get introduced to the spy until after she meets with the ex-Adminarl of the Fleet, but I think contextually you get that he's super off the books given her order to contact Fred Johnson sub rosa. But you miss out on a nice character beat for Avasarala and how she interacts with trusted subordinates.

Tighclops posted:

This show is extremely my poo poo, but I have to say that space battle was the most thrilling one I can recall since BSG

Alex's speech at the bar made my eyes water up a bit :3:

It was good, and the way that scene ended with Amos buying a hooker drinks to sit and listen to Alex was hilarious. Amos ain't got no time for that.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

NowonSA posted:

I like her fine but I sort of wish they had cast someone a bit taller. the books are constantly going on about how imposing she seems standing next to an Earther for example.

*edit: i guess you're right, putting it that way... Bobbie is described as being over 2 meters tall but I guess women of that size are a bit hard to find. it's just that standing next to the other cast members she doesn't look so imposing.

uber_stoat fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 3, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Frankie Adams is 6′, which is pretty tall for a woman.

e: If the figures I’m looking at are right, if you take a representative one thousand American women, she’d be taller than 998 of them.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 3, 2017

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Yeah, they haven't really had a chance to show off her actual height compared to the people around her. She was either sitting or alone or surrounded by other people in body armour. I figure once she's around non-Martian Marines, it'll be more obvious.

And as for Fred's 2IC, I don't think that was Sam? Unless they recast her in the offseason, last season's Sam was played by Allie Chung. This actress is Cara Gee, and her character name's not listed.

Speaking of character names, stay off the IMDB if you don't want to get spoiled about an admittedly really obvious character change from last season. He never asked for this.

So the sound over the credits, did anyone else figure that was the transmissions from Eros? I can definitely see some good Belter mixes coming out of that.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

uber_stoat posted:

I like her fine but I sort of wish they had cast someone a bit taller. the books are constantly going on about how imposing she seems standing next to an Earther for example.

*edit: i guess you're right, putting it that way... Bobbie is described as being over 2 meters tall but I guess women of that size are a bit hard to find. it's just that standing next to the other cast members she doesn't look so imposing.

She's also slouched over in that picture.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Dessel posted:

There are a few sensible candidates for who that could be, in terms of characters from the books. Or maybe she comes up directly in the first book and someone knows for sure. I expect we'll get her name dropped pretty soon, one way or another.

uber_stoat posted:

Actually seeing her next to the others makes her look quite a bit more imposing to me, she has a nice width and sense of physical power. Bobbie in the books is basically describe as having a nearly John Cena-level physique, just on a woman, so seeing that she'd absolutely tower over Naomi (for example) fits for me.

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007

NowonSA posted:

There are a few sensible candidates for who that could be, in terms of characters from the books. Or maybe she comes up directly in the first book and someone knows for sure. I expect we'll get her name dropped pretty soon, one way or another.

I'm pretty sure it's Drummer, I don't think she even showed up until Nemesis Games?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Marathoned the first season this week in time to catch the premiere. I know the science and physics on the show are fairly accurate, but are there any good articles on how accurate?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWZqp0QoXcw

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Excellent. I was also looking for some kind of primer on Belter slang because every now and then some Belter extra will say something that sounds like utter gibberish.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Excellent. I was also looking for some kind of primer on Belter slang because every now and then some Belter extra will say something that sounds like utter gibberish.

Belter Creole 101

There’s a wiki.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eupcy0lIjsk

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 3, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Also an interview with the linguist working on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eupcy0lIjsk

e:fb

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Nfarmerlinguist

his twitter where he's been translating stuff recently.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/blog/belter-creole-101

E: fb :argh:

Of course there is. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

NowonSA posted:

Actually seeing her next to the others makes her look quite a bit more imposing to me, she has a nice width and sense of physical power. Bobbie in the books is basically describe as having a nearly John Cena-level physique, just on a woman, so seeing that she'd absolutely tower over Naomi (for example) fits for me.

There was a rumour that they originally wanted Gwendolin Christie for the part.

The actress they have was a boxer, and pretty physically huge, I like that they did the arm wrestling scene to emphasise it.

• Locked thread