Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Not really a Cisco question but whatev's.

Do you guys think a 5m DAC cable is more than enough distance between two TOR switches in two cabinets next to each other in a datacenter with overhead cabling?

If I need more than that I have to move up to active optics which drive the price up a bit. I think 15 feet is more than enough as it should be 5 feet up, 3 feet over, 5 foot down but it's been a while since I ran fiber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Most cabinets are what, 600-700mm wide? It depends on how high the overhead cable trays are, but they normally a foot or two above the top of the rack. So you'd need 1m up, 1m down and about 700mm across, so you'd have loads of room.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

5m should be plenty to get between adjacent cabinets, even if the tray is a long way up. You'll probably lose ~800mm each end getting the cable from the port to the hole in the cabinet roof.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
Yeah, 5m for TOR to TOR with standard datacenter racks/trays.

Is this for 100G? I've been able to find 7-10m passive DAC for 10/40G typically.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
40g QSFP. Could only find up to 5m DAC in CCW. Clients not going to pay for it anyway so I'll just be running cat6a

Sepist fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 30, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How do you get to the point where you have 40g gear and balk at the ~$250 cost of a cable?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Clients can be weird. They also need 24 of them which brings the price up a bit, and they blew the budget on the switch gear because they let a random CDW rep convince them of what they might need before coming to a VAR for the professional services to install it.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Sepist posted:

Clients can be weird. They also need 24 of them which brings the price up a bit, and they blew the budget on the switch gear because they let a random CDW rep convince them of what they might need before coming to a VAR for the professional services to install it.
24 TOR to adjacent TOR? That seems excessive.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
It's a dumb design because they didn't consult anyone before purchase. They have 8 3172TQ's, they want 4 per stack to all be linked together. Then they want the DMZ and LAN to be on the same switches despite them acknowledging it being a poor design.

It's just easier to explain with a visio:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
What's a good, cheap network tap/port replicator that does SFP and SFP+ for 1/10G?

Alternatively, does Unifi support SPAN/port replication?

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Sanity check since I haven't dealt with switch stacks in a long while. I have a 2960 that I want to add another 2960 to to make a stack. The current switch has priority 10 and is already operating and the one being prepped is wiped/at default (1). Am I wrong in thinking I just rack the second switch, hook up the stack cables, and power the switch up?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

psydude posted:

What's a good, cheap network tap/port replicator that does SFP and SFP+ for 1/10G?

Alternatively, does Unifi support SPAN/port replication?

Yes, Ubiquiti Edgeswitch and UniFi switches support port mirroring.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CrazyLittle posted:

Yes, Ubiquiti Edgeswitch and UniFi switches support port mirroring.

Awesome. Any idea if it takes a big hit to performance? I'm basically going to use it as an inline tap/port replicator.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can't find anything to suggest that the US‑16‑XG (I assume you'll be using that model) cannot manage a 10G port mirror. Maybe worth dropping a post onto their forums or an email, I'm sure they will be able to confirm.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

mythicknight posted:

Sanity check since I haven't dealt with switch stacks in a long while. I have a 2960 that I want to add another 2960 to to make a stack. The current switch has priority 10 and is already operating and the one being prepped is wiped/at default (1). Am I wrong in thinking I just rack the second switch, hook up the stack cables, and power the switch up?

Software versions need to match or it won't join the stack. Newer switches support automatic software upgrade but I don't think 2960 line does. You can save yourself a little bit of time by doing a switch 2 provision (model) on the one to be your new stack master, so you can configure interfaces ahead of time.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Sepist posted:

It's a dumb design because they didn't consult anyone before purchase. They have 8 3172TQ's, they want 4 per stack to all be linked together. Then they want the DMZ and LAN to be on the same switches despite them acknowledging it being a poor design.

It's just easier to explain with a visio:

So I had this whole post typed out about how it seemed pretty weird what they are doing, but I really don't know what they are doing so I probably shouldn't judge. The diagram makes it look like they are of sufficient size that they should have someone with a brain on staff. Are they doing vxlan stuff, or are they just using VPCs to make one big layer 2? It doesn't really matter, I'm just curious now.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Yea it's just 4 switches all layer 2 attached via vPC. They have at least 12 vlans so at least they're separating stuff but they wanted intra-cabinet active/standby dual homing capabilities to the 3ks and the esxi hosts in both cabinets must all be in the same vlans.

The 4 iscsi switches are just vpc and a flat vlan

Sepist fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 1, 2017

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

single-mode fiber posted:

Software versions need to match or it won't join the stack. Newer switches support automatic software upgrade but I don't think 2960 line does. You can save yourself a little bit of time by doing a switch 2 provision (model) on the one to be your new stack master, so you can configure interfaces ahead of time.

Yep, both are on the same exact code, and I want the currently powered switch to be the master, not the one being added. I don't think I've used that command before, but reading up a bit looks like it could save some time. Thanks!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Here's a question that I am almost embarrassed about asking but can't find clearly answered anywhere else. An ISP wants to terminate two fibers on two routers and then use a routing protocol on their side to handle the redundancy, with the handoff to us being a virtual IP (VRRP). How am I meant to be able to get this truly resilient - since I'd need each router to connect to two switches and by standard they just provision one interface as the handoff. It's easy enough to diagram just by drawing two links on, but is this done in reality by using a switch module in the routers? Should the ISP just be using L3 switches for this? The CPEs they are giving us are Juniper SRX320s.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
Are they handing you a /29? Perhaps you could run a FHRP on your side.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
why are they even using vrrp? can't they just originate a route to you? Is that a bad idea in this case?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I was unsure of the best place to ask this, but ended up figuring it centres around networking.

I work for an ISP and we provide a customer with connectivity to their Microsoft Azure VNet via Expressroute. They now want to get a second Expressroute connection to a separate VNet and have them converse over our network, rather than paying Microsoft to allow that direct communication. We will do this via BGP with a partner who peers with Expressroute and there is no reason why this isn't possible on our network, but I just wondered if anyone had had success with doing this before?

As I see it we just need to make sure we advertise each VNet's prefixes to the other.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
This scales remarkably well. I worked for a MSP/DR provider where we implemented a variety of these interconnects as Inter-AS Option A. We then stitched the interconnect VRF together with the customer service VRF via route policy (typical import/export RT tricks, nothing fancy). It was a better service with the partner providers that had decent APIs so the turn up process was more tightly integrated.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Happy Thursday! Your Cisco equipment may die after 18 months in production:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/clock-signal.html#~overview,

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Jokes on them I'm already dead.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

psydude posted:

Half our offices are affected and we're still tallying how many of our customers are hahahaha :smithicide:

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I just called my PM to let him know over 100 devices we've deployed for clients in the past 6 months suffer from that issue and he said "holy poo poo left monkey nut cock fucker"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does Cisco TAC let you sent in a CSV of all your devices that need replacing

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Proactive replacements are done through filling out the attached form and emailing it to the specified address, but if you have a bunch that have already failed I'm sure TAC will take the information in whatever format works best for you.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Sepist posted:

"holy poo poo left monkey nut cock fucker"

is that a technical term

Eletriarnation posted:

Proactive replacements are done through filling out the attached form and emailing it to the specified address, but if you have a bunch that have already failed I'm sure TAC will take the information in whatever format works best for you.

can I submit a flaming bag of dog feces on their doorstep?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hahahahah. Holy poo poo

quote:

Although the Cisco products with this component are currently performing normally, we expect product failures to increase over the years, beginning after the unit has been in operation for approximately 18 months. Once the component has failed, the system will stop functioning, will not boot, and is not recoverable.

And it's suprisingly large swath of products affected.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I wonder how long they have known, and if the faulty component will still be shipping in products today.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

adorai posted:

I wonder how long they have known, and if the faulty component will still be shipping in products today.

Since November, and no.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
My night thus far has involved hash cat, several GPU's, and the admin password for our 7010 chassis. I don't even want to talk about how we got here, the short answer is former employee. Even with half a dozen GPU's at my disposal, it would still be 6 months to brute-force the password according to the software. This. This is why you don't let a site manage its own gear. God.drat.It. (Excuse the rant).

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
They really disabled the password recovery? I mean I always knew it was doable but holy poo poo lmao

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

At a certain point it's less hassle to just factory reset the device and rebuild the configuration.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Thanks Ants posted:

Here's a question that I am almost embarrassed about asking but can't find clearly answered anywhere else. An ISP wants to terminate two fibers on two routers and then use a routing protocol on their side to handle the redundancy, with the handoff to us being a virtual IP (VRRP). How am I meant to be able to get this truly resilient - since I'd need each router to connect to two switches and by standard they just provision one interface as the handoff. It's easy enough to diagram just by drawing two links on, but is this done in reality by using a switch module in the routers? Should the ISP just be using L3 switches for this? The CPEs they are giving us are Juniper SRX320s.

I'm not a Juniper man but in the Cisco world theres alot of ways to do it, all of which I can think of require changes at the ISP end. You could have a backup interface configured for the primary interface, or a L3 etherchannel?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Thanks. I spoke to the provider and it's a common request they just don't do it as standard for some reason. They can chuck both the physical interfaces into a switch group and then use that virtual interface in the VRRP setup.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

psydude posted:

gently caress me we've put in so many ASA 5506-12's in the last year... this is going to be fun

Edit: Double gently caress, only been looking for 30 minutes so far and found a dozen that need replacement.

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

abigserve posted:

They really disabled the password recovery? I mean I always knew it was doable but holy poo poo lmao

The most secure switch is one you can't get into.