Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Maybe I should try sockeye sometime, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I have some homemade chicken sausage that when cooked on the stovetop comes out a little too dry. Would Sous vide cooking help?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

lifts cats over head posted:

I have some homemade chicken sausage that when cooked on the stovetop comes out a little too dry. Would Sous vide cooking help?

It depends. How much fat does it contain? If it's super lean, it may not be terribly moist even cooked sous vide, but it should still help. I puddle my sausages at 155 for an hour with a quick sear afterwards and they always come out amazing. Depending on the type of chicken you used to make the sausage, I'd say 150 if it's all/mostly white meat, 155-160 if it's mostly dark meat.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

hogmartin posted:

Maybe I should try sockeye sometime, then.

You should. It's fantastic. Not sure what that other dude is on about.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

The Midniter posted:

It depends. How much fat does it contain? If it's super lean, it may not be terribly moist even cooked sous vide, but it should still help. I puddle my sausages at 155 for an hour with a quick sear afterwards and they always come out amazing. Depending on the type of chicken you used to make the sausage, I'd say 150 if it's all/mostly white meat, 155-160 if it's mostly dark meat.

It was one of my first attempts at sausage, approximately 80/20. It was a mix of breast and thigh. Worst case scenario if it doesn't turn out that well I'll just have to make more sausage.

Edit: Status report: I don't think it really made a difference. As I said before they were a first attempt at sausage so they weren't that great to begin with. I may try again some other time with better sausages.

lifts cats over head fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 26, 2017

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
Picked up this amazing Akaushi bavette before the weekend:

Sous vide @ 132 for 2 hours, pan-seared and served with chimichurri:

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
:stare: that marbling

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
fukkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Random Hero posted:

Picked up this amazing Akaushi bavette before the weekend:

Sous vide @ 132 for 2 hours, pan-seared and served with chimichurri:

You should be banned for posting that without me to try a piece, you soulless bastard!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I'd probably just eat that raw

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Eating something that well-marbled raw is a complete waste. You want that fat to render.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I wasn't being serious...just a pretty piece of meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Never heard flank steak called that before. Learn something new every day.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Never heard flank steak called that before. Learn something new every day.

Welcome to the joys of living in Europe and cooking American recipes or vice versa.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Yesterday I did a pork tenderloin (2hours at 135 degrees) but plans changed so I left it in the bag and tossed it in the fridge for today. What's the best way to reheat it? I was planning on searing it but I'm not sure if that will do the trick. Also, any risk for food born illness?

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

lifts cats over head posted:

Yesterday I did a pork tenderloin (2hours at 135 degrees) but plans changed so I left it in the bag and tossed it in the fridge for today. What's the best way to reheat it? I was planning on searing it but I'm not sure if that will do the trick. Also, any risk for food born illness?

Refrigerators are pretty good at keeping things cold, but bad at making things cold. Ideally the food would get rapidly chilled by immersing the bag in an ice bath to minimize reproduction of any residual bacteria. In terms of reheating, the easiest thing to do is just chuck it back in the water bath for about 45 minutes.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I thought I saw a recommendation to set your bath a degree lower than the cook temp?

Maybe I'm crazy

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

kirtar posted:

Refrigerators are pretty good at keeping things cold, but bad at making things cold. Ideally the food would get rapidly chilled by immersing the bag in an ice bath to minimize reproduction of any residual bacteria. In terms of reheating, the easiest thing to do is just chuck it back in the water bath for about 45 minutes.

This. Oversimplified food safety rule #1 is the "danger zone": don't let food stay between 40° and 140°F for more than two total hours, consecutive or not. That's why you don't see many SV whole chicken recipes: it takes the interior too long for comfort to reach the safe zone.

You're a bit safer after cooking, of course, since food in a sealed bag that has been cooked should be sanitized to a decent degree, but it's not guaranteed 100% sterilized.

All that said, if it were just me I'd not worry about it. If I were serving at-risk populations, I'd be way more cautious.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Edit: never mind, misread the post

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

BrianBoitano posted:

This. Oversimplified food safety rule #1 is the "danger zone": don't let food stay between 40° and 140°F for more than two total hours, consecutive or not. That's why you don't see many SV whole chicken recipes: it takes the interior too long for comfort to reach the safe zone.

You're a bit safer after cooking, of course, since food in a sealed bag that has been cooked should be sanitized to a decent degree, but it's not guaranteed 100% sterilized.

All that said, if it were just me I'd not worry about it. If I were serving at-risk populations, I'd be way more cautious.

The other problem is anaerobic spore forming bacteria such as Clostridium botulinum, C. perfingens, and Bacillus cereus since the spores are pretty hardy (i.e. will not be killed at pasteurization temps since C. botulinum spores can survive boiling) and can repopulate and/or produce potentially toxic compounds (Baldwin).

kirtar fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 31, 2017

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

kirtar posted:

The other problem is anaerobic spore forming bacteria such as Clostridium botulinum, C. perfingens, and Bacillus cereus since the spores are pretty hardy (i.e. will not be killed at pasteurization temps since C. botulinum spores can survive boiling) and can repopulate and/or produce potentially toxic compounds (Baldwin).

Which Baldwin? Billy, I'd assume, he seems toxic.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
It seems that my Anova touchscreen unit may have stopped heating water properly. I noticed it taking forever to warm things up here today so I swapped out the cold water with hot water, and have been watching the temp just drop over the past several minutes. I used it last two days ago. The water is still moving around and the unit seems to be working fine otherwise. Is this how these things die?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If it's cooling it instead of heating it you might have reversed the polarity on the plug

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

qutius posted:

It seems that my Anova touchscreen unit may have stopped heating water properly. I noticed it taking forever to warm things up here today so I swapped out the cold water with hot water, and have been watching the temp just drop over the past several minutes. I used it last two days ago. The water is still moving around and the unit seems to be working fine otherwise. Is this how these things die?

Yes.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

RIP :(

Guess its time to look for a replacement.

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest

qutius posted:

Yeah, same thing happened to mine after 2 years of solid use/abuse. It struggled to maintain temp and started smelling of ozone while it was running until one day it decided to let out all of its magic blue smoke. The touchscreen and motor still worked fine, it just stopped heating up.

For what it's worth, Anova support gave me 25% off a new unit (on top of the sale price, so it was like $75)

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

25%? Anova only offered me $25 after mine died on Christmas Eve. And that couldn't be applied to existing discounts.

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012

If it's cooling it instead of heating it you might have reversed the polarity on the plug

:eng101:

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

drat you

Merkin Muffley posted:

Yeah, same thing happened to mine after 2 years of solid use/abuse. It struggled to maintain temp and started smelling of ozone while it was running until one day it decided to let out all of its magic blue smoke. The touchscreen and motor still worked fine, it just stopped heating up.

For what it's worth, Anova support gave me 25% off a new unit (on top of the sale price, so it was like $75)

guess I'm paying the dummy tax for not contacting them and singing their praises to get a discount...

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

When my Kickstarter Anova broke down, I got a new unit with WiFi for free after some quick troubleshooting. :shobon:

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Does anyone have a gourmia that they use with a cambro container? If so, could you show a pic of how you fitted it?

I just got this gourmia and the clip does not fit well with this funky shape wide rim of the cambro. There's thick squishy silicone pad/sleeve that goes around the top of the cylindrical part, I'm wondering if I should remove that so it fits better, or if doing that will risk the metal directly touching the container and melting or something else bad like that.

Am I supposed to cut up the rim (not even considering the lid at this point) of the cambro?

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 3, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Post some photos, maybe we can think of something if we get a clearer picture what's going on

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Nevermind, I ended up cutting into the rim of the container like I suspected, after which the clamp fit quite solidly.

Then I made a cutout in the lid as well, and now everything is good.

edit:

Unrelated question... I'm considering getting a searzall. I already have a TS8000 head, and searching for searzall on amazon leads me to this result: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L2P0KNO
The description says "Searzall Torch Attachment, Small, Stainless"
I'm pretty sure there's only one size available though? That "Small" is throwing me off. Also I think the price went down $20 since I last looked at it. Could have sworn it was $85 before.

I haven't been very satisfied so far with searing using the bare torch flame, nor a smoking hot cast iron pan. Then again I'm probably doing it wrong.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 4, 2017

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Don't bother with a searzall

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
A searzall has its place, but not as your primary seating tool.

Are you patting your steaks dry first before putting them in the cast iron skillet?

How long are you searing per side?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Steve Yun posted:

A searzall has its place, but not as your primary seating tool.

Are you patting your steaks dry first before putting them in the cast iron skillet?

How long are you searing per side?

Pat them dry and also put a weight, not too heavy, on them to press them to the pan. I just use my kettle because it is on the stove already and it is the perfect size for the pan I use to sear steaks. 30 seconds or so gets a nice sear.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
The pan has to be seriously goddamn hot to get a satisfying sear. You should be close to burning your house down when you sear. I would bet this is the main problem for people who have difficulty getting a sear. It should be so hot that you are seriously anticipating the pan to explode into flames when you drop the meat in. And it's okay if it does, just be ready for it with a lid and a potholder. The typical 'wait til you see a wisp of smoke' won't cut it, in my experience.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I need to find a good weight, hmm.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

I need to find a good weight, hmm.

Use a smaller cast iron pan that's also been preheated to sun-like temperatures.

I mean I don't weigh down whatever I'm searing, I don't find it necessary but if you're gonna do it, go big or go home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

theres a will theres moe posted:

The pan has to be seriously goddamn hot to get a satisfying sear. You should be close to burning your house down when you sear. I would bet this is the main problem for people who have difficulty getting a sear. It should be so hot that you are seriously anticipating the pan to explode into flames when you drop the meat in. And it's okay if it does, just be ready for it with a lid and a potholder. The typical 'wait til you see a wisp of smoke' won't cut it, in my experience.
Yeah, I've given up trying to sear on my range. Now I just preheat the pan on my gas grill for 15 minutes or so until it's rocket hot and then add a little avocado oil and butter.