Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Che Delilas posted:

I had to track my time working on each project at my last job. It was a corporate CRUD factory and we did not ship products, it was purely internal.

My boss flatly refused to accept 8 hours of work on a project for a day, because that implied 100% time spent staring at screen with fingers hitting keys. No breaks, no bathroom time, no sitting back and looking at the ceiling or speaking with a co-worker. As if my brain immediately stops processing a problem the instant my eye line crosses the bezel of my monitor.

This was the guy who wrote me up (literally a written warning in my employee file) for clocking in (yes, clocking in) at 8:00 (when my shift (yes, SHIFT as a developer) started) because I wasn't technically at my desk until 8:01 therefore I was late. So I'm sure the sociopath wasn't forcing me to record less than 8 hours of work per day in order to gather ammunition against me. Surely not.

Joke's on him, I was so checked out by the time he started up with recording hours that I didn't give a gently caress and was less productive than I would have been working 4 hours a day for someone I respected who paid me decently.

Reading this made me mad. gently caress that person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm drat near certain that your shift starts when you arrive at your workplace, not when you sit down at your desk. I remember reading about some company that got sued because their parking lot was at the rear end end of nowhere and it took like 10 minutes for employees to get from the parking lot to their desks, which time they weren't being compensated for.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm drat near certain that your shift starts when you arrive at your workplace, not when you sit down at your desk. I remember reading about some company that got sued because their parking lot was at the rear end end of nowhere and it took like 10 minutes for employees to get from the parking lot to their desks, which time they weren't being compensated for.

There are very VERY few things I like about being Salaried; this is one of them.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

On the other hand, Amazon fulfillment workers aren't entitled to compensation for the time they spend getting searched on the way out (and in?).

e: oh that's a salaried thing? Neato

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Munkeymon posted:

On the other hand, Amazon fulfillment workers aren't entitled to compensation for the time they spend getting searched on the way out (and in?).

Sounds like they have a right to that money. Force will decide if they get it, though.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

rt4 posted:

Sounds like they have a right to that money. Force will decide if they get it, though.

It was already decided they don't, unanimously, at SCOTUS last year. Waiting in line to be searched wasn't an integral part of the job, at least not as congress defined it.

I prefer being salaried. It saves my sanity to not deal with this small stuff.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

lifg posted:

I prefer being salaried. It saves my sanity to not deal with this small stuff.

I once asked my manager what the charge number was for time spent looking up charge numbers. :haw:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

sunaurus posted:

A huge reason for me taking my current job was that they don't do time tracking. All the teams here are doing agile very seriously, and it's actually working out (surprisingly) quite well. A big thing that I really love is that as long as my team finishes all the stories we agree to do in a sprint, our PO and our clients are happy. This means that I can work on whatever schedule I want, so sometimes I sleep all day and work in the evenings, some days I just can't get in the zone at all and just read books all day, but then some days I'm super focused and just work 12 hours straight. This might sound terrible to some people, but it's really amazing for me.

That's how I work much of the time. Most of my actual day is split between answering questions for others and doing skunkworks projects that will have a benefit for the company. I usually get to work by ~10am and do most of my actual work between the hours of 3 and 7pm as the office clears out for the day. This is helpful for me when working on new and/or complex things when the chaos of our office is sometimes a distraction, I can't always tune it out. I find that if I I get to work by 6:30am or 7, I'm usually here until 5 just due to the chaos. Not always, but it happens more often than I'd like.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm sorry but I'll be hosed if I spend more than a core 8 hours in the office/at work.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

ratbert90 posted:

There are very VERY few things I like about being Salaried; this is one of them.

Oh I didn't mention this but I WAS salaried there.

Pollyanna posted:

I'm sorry but I'll be hosed if I spend more than a core 8 hours in the office/at work.

The less flexible a job/boss is about hours or time, the more I take this stance. If I can work for 6 hours one day and decide to go home because my brain is leaking out my ears, and nobody bats an eye because I get my work done, I'm much more willing to stay late if there's a problem or come to a maintenance window at gently caress-you o'clock or something. They operate with good faith, so do I.

Needless to say, after that little incident I didn't give them one extra second of my precious time than I "agreed to."

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 3, 2017

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
lmbo my boss tried to tell me I was hired on as a full stack engineer (because that's what I have been doing for the last few months.)

Haha no I wasn't, and now that my 1 year is up I don't have a contract with you guys. I love my job and what I do, but if you want a full stack engineer you got to pay me a full stack engineer price.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Salaried can suck if you have a lovely boss. Hourly can suck if you have a lovely boss. A lovely boss is the main thing that makes a job terrible. Sounds like the complaints here are less about either side of that coin and more about getting stuck with That Boss.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
Dear thread, how many times can someone accept offers for 1.5x their salary every year before no one will hire them for being a job hopping millennial? Or is this just the new normal? Asking for a friend.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

leper khan posted:

Dear thread, how many times can someone accept offers for 1.5x their salary every year before no one will hire them for being a job hopping millennial? Or is this just the new normal? Asking for a friend.

That's pretty much the new normal. A lot of companies even expect it.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
In the absence of lovely bosses, lovely business drivers will make your job suck as well. You can put Steve Jobs in charge of a body shop and he's not going to make the end results much better for anyone under him. Nobody's going to make working at Walmart as desirable as working at Google or Facebook. A lot of the bad decisions engineers (regardless of skill) make early in their careers is picking companies that don't make money through selling excellent software that can attract both good engineers and good non-technical people.

Pollyanna posted:

I'm spending more than 8 hours / day at the office but we literally have a pub with several kegs of beer on tap in the office.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Alcohol at work just seems like a disaster waiting to happen. How does it work in a social sense?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

rt4 posted:

Alcohol at work just seems like a disaster waiting to happen. How does it work in a social sense?

We have booze club on Friday afternoon and it's great. My office is pretty social but I feel like I've gotten to know my coworkers a lot better.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

We still advertise beer taps on our listings I think, even though the lines haven't been cleaned in probably 3 years and the kegs haven't been changed in at least a year and a half. The culture was a lot better when the kegs were changed regularly I guess, but that's more the former causing the latter.

I kind of mindlessly group free beer in with the "nerf warz!" and "catered lunches!" nonsense when I see it in that I'll apply if the product sounds interesting and they don't seem too overbearing with it.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Iverron posted:

We still advertise beer taps on our listings I think, even though the lines haven't been cleaned in probably 3 years and the kegs haven't been changed in at least a year and a half. The culture was a lot better when the kegs were changed regularly I guess, but that's more the former causing the latter.

I kind of mindlessly group free beer in with the "nerf warz!" and "catered lunches!" nonsense when I see it in that I'll apply if the product sounds interesting and they don't seem too overbearing with it.

Wait, I must be misunderstanding. It's taken your office over a year and a half to finish some kegs of beer? Or you mean they are empty?

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Steve French posted:

Wait, I must be misunderstanding. It's taken your office over a year and a half to finish some kegs of beer? Or you mean they are empty?

They're empty.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
I remember one phone interview where the guy was trying to sell how cool and awesome the company was by saying "totally casual dress, most people wear jeans, and we have free soda. And a lot of people have beards!"

I kept waiting for him to continue, but no, that was his entire pitch.

:confuoot:

And then they lowballed me big time and made it clear they wouldn't budge.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

rt4 posted:

It really depends on the company culture. I've seen everything from a casual social gathering for a few hours at the end of the day, to rampaging frat house shitshows.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

rt4 posted:

You get disciplined if you're drinking before 5. At least, that's how it worked at my last company.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

My employer trusts us to be reasonable adults, in that matter as well as others.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

I don't have any problem with it, but it always seems to be substituting for higher wages or bonuses or training or conferences or hiring any technical people that aren't strictly developers or

Maybe one day I'll be less cynical about these "benefits".

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Iverron posted:

We can't quite match that salary, but we DO have a ping pong table that cost us a whole $400! What a great place to work

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Iverron posted:

When those benefits aren't used as a cheap substitute for good compensation, it's easier to not be cynical about them.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

rt4 posted:

We can't quite match that salary, but we DO have a ping pong table that cost us a whole $400! What a great place to work

There is a sweet spot, though. I found a place that pays me well, has interesting problems to solve, has a ping pong table, and has fun events and drinking.

It exists, I promise. It just took me almost 10 years to find it.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blinkz0rz posted:

There is a sweet spot, though. I found a place that pays me well, has interesting problems to solve, has a ping pong table, and has fun events and drinking.

It exists, I promise. It just took me almost 10 years to find it.

Give it a few more months or a year or two at most. Good culture never seems to endure, or maybe I'm just terribly unlucky.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

baquerd posted:

Give it a few more months or a year or two at most. Good culture never seems to endure, or maybe I'm just terribly unlucky.

Almost always management's fault in my experience. When the good people start leaving bad management, so goes the culture.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

baquerd posted:

tbh I've been waiting for it to fade but I've been here for almost a year and a half and it's still going strong.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.
Before it went under, at my last company the owner thought it was cool to randomly lob firecrackers down at the cubicles everyday.

My buddy working next to me would shout out lines from platoon. He was traumatized when it landed next to him while he was on a helpdesk call with a client. :commissar:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The really interesting thing is that, well...

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/03/dismal_developers_ruin_everything/

It's now basically been proven that unhappy developers produce lovely code. Amazing revelation, right?

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
I want to get a job as a "senior" (i.e., entry level + 2 promotions) software engineer at a company like Amazon, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Uber, etc. within the next year. I currently work as a junior and have been at the junior rank for almost 3 years, but I think my chances of getting promoted this year are good since I've been doing mid-level stuff for a while, have been doing more of it recently, and will continue to do more indefinitely. So I'm thinking, I'm not really aiming for +2 levels of promotion by changing jobs - I'm realistically aiming for +1 level.

So what can I learn in the next year to be able to ace an interview for a senior-level engineer position in say, February 2018? I figure I'll try to do that stuff, take a shot at several companies six months from now (and probably fail, but still... maybe I get a better mid-level offer and either take it or negotiate a raise?) and and if that doesn't work out, I'll take another shot six months later.

My impression of what it takes to ace such an interview is to have my data structures and algorithms + coding knowledge down perfect, plus be able to design a system (e.g., for a question like "design twitter!") at a high level and drill down into any part of it, to the point that if I claim that I want to rely on a distributed key-value store or something for some feature, I can answer "oh, well how would that key-value store work?" with stuff like an explanation of paxos and file system journaling or whatever people who design databases do. Basically, if I understand right, I need to be able to design a system using common high-level tools and components like relational databases or hadoop or streaming event processing pipelines or map reduces or messaging queues and explain in detail, down to nitty-gritty details like "these are the processes I'd write and run if I had to implement this messaging queue, this is how I'd guarantee at least once delivery, this is how I'd guarantee a 100ms delivery time, this is how I'd implement push notifications so every mobile device gets those within 100ms, [etc]".

If I knew how to do that and actually had the skills build each of those pieces and explain how I'd do so, would that sound right for getting through typical senior engineer interviews at the big tech companies?

I think the timeline seems fine, as I've heard people in senior positions usually have like 3-5 years of experience if they joined these companies right out of school. 3 years if they were ridiculously fast at getting promoted, 5 years if they were a bit slower. A year from now I'll have almost 4 years of experience, so I'll be in that range, but I don't see myself getting enough project work to hit senior in my current company within the next 2 years (if it takes me 3 years at this company to go junior -> mid, then I can probably expect 3-4 years to go mid -> senior... yuck), so I think I need to start planning how to reach that level elsewhere.

oliveoil fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 4, 2017

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
On the technical side, that sounds fine. I can't speak to the particulars of distributed but the geneal approach doesn't raise any red flags.

I'm kinda curious what you think the differences in entry-/mid-/senior-level are? There's slightly more to it than being able to take on bigger chunks of technical work.

At your day job, you want to keep an eye out for situations that will fit into behavioral questions. Right now, if you were prompted with "Describe a time that you disagreed with management's approach to a technical problem, how you reacted, and the eventual resolution." How would you answer? You should have a few anecdotes about difficult situations ready to go. Preferably where you're the magnanimous hero. In any case aim higher than "i dunno the AD WIZARDS who came up with using MongoDB *snort* but I switched it over to postgres without telling anyone and because a STUPID linux bug deleted the production data they fired me"

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

oliveoil posted:

If I knew how to do that and actually had the skills build each of those pieces and explain how I'd do so, would that sound right for getting through typical senior engineer interviews at the big tech companies?

Not necessarily for Facebook. I think given that you'd be a strong E4 (E3 is fresh out of college). If you applied yourself you might be able to get to E5 quickly, and since review cycles are twice yearly, that's pretty good if you're just at the verge. Compensation for E4 is very comfortable and you'd have plenty of time to get to the next level and lots of help in doing so.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'd say rule 1 for interviews is to nail the interpersonal relationships. You can be the most brilliant software engineer on the planet, but if I can't carry on a conversation with you then a) I won't want to interact with you, ergo won't want you on my team, and b) you won't be able to prove that you're the most brilliant software engineer on the planet anyway! In particular, a lot of software developers are pretty arrogant. Lord knows I was for several years out of college. Remember that basically nobody works on solo efforts, so what the interviewers are looking for is how you can contribute to the success of a team. Practice those soft skills -- making eye contact, asking clarifying questions, not dominating conversations, avoiding closed body language, etc.

Realize also that when you start talking about senior-level positions, you're gunning for either a) leadership positions (tech leads or similar) or b) highly-skilled IC (individual contributor) positions, where you're expected to be handed a vaguely-defined task, gather requirements, architect a solution, and then either implement it yourself or break it down into tasks to share with others. Since I kind of suspect you won't have much leadership experience, you should be focusing on the latter set of tasks. So have a set of stories about how you either were presented with a problem, or identified a problem, and then how you went about building a solution, including how you interacted with customers/clients, how you sold your leaders on what you wanted to do, etc.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

When we're talking senior-level positions, are we talking Silicon Valley senior roles (4-5 years of experience, generally) or more traditional senior roles (10-15 or more years)? Those are two pretty different things.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

oliveoil posted:

I want to get a job as a "senior" (i.e., entry level + 2 promotions) software engineer at a company like Amazon, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Uber, etc. within the next year. I currently work as a junior and have been at the junior rank for almost 3 years, but I think my chances of getting promoted this year are good since I've been doing mid-level stuff for a while, have been doing more of it recently, and will continue to do more indefinitely. So I'm thinking, I'm not really aiming for +2 levels of promotion by changing jobs - I'm realistically aiming for +1 level.

So what can I learn in the next year to be able to ace an interview for a senior-level engineer position in say, February 2018? I figure I'll try to do that stuff, take a shot at several companies six months from now (and probably fail, but still... maybe I get a better mid-level offer and either take it or negotiate a raise?) and and if that doesn't work out, I'll take another shot six months later.

My impression of what it takes to ace such an interview is to have my data structures and algorithms + coding knowledge down perfect, plus be able to design a system (e.g., for a question like "design twitter!") at a high level and drill down into any part of it, to the point that if I claim that I want to rely on a distributed key-value store or something for some feature, I can answer "oh, well how would that key-value store work?" with stuff like an explanation of paxos and file system journaling or whatever people who design databases do. Basically, if I understand right, I need to be able to design a system using common high-level tools and components like relational databases or hadoop or streaming event processing pipelines or map reduces or messaging queues and explain in detail, down to nitty-gritty details like "these are the processes I'd write and run if I had to implement this messaging queue, this is how I'd guarantee at least once delivery, this is how I'd guarantee a 100ms delivery time, this is how I'd implement push notifications so every mobile device gets those within 100ms, [etc]".

I think the timeline seems fine, as I've heard people in senior positions usually have like 3-5 years of experience if they joined these companies right out of school. 3 years if they were ridiculously fast at getting promoted, 5 years if they were a bit slower. A year from now I'll have almost 4 years of experience, so I'll be in that range, but I don't see myself getting enough project work to hit senior in my current company within the next 2 years (if it takes me 3 years at this company to go junior -> mid, then I can probably expect 3-4 years to go mid -> senior... yuck), so I think I need to start planning how to reach that level elsewhere.

a) "Senior" isn't comparable company to company, silicon valley or not. There are companies where you can get "senior" with literally zero commercial programming experience just by having a master's degree/phD, for instance.
b) If you stay in a job for four years at the beginning of your career, especially without getting promoted, then you're not maximizing your salary potential. Hopping every couple of years or so will improve your salary, allow you to learn new things, and help you avoid doing code janitor work.
c) Optimize for salary as opposed to title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The other snag with "senior" is that some companies don't do junior -> normal -> senior -> lead progression but have numbers instead. Those numbers are also different! A Software Developer III might be a mid-grad dev in one place but a lead dev in another. Then you get into titles like Software Architect and...yeah.