Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Sillybones posted:

Is Chris in jail yet?

he certainly hasn't been released

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

This is the best thing that WH40K generated:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Gideon_Ravenor

A guy who's abilities border on both omnipotent and omnipresent who permanently lives in a weird, sealed, floating wheelchair made by space elves because someone dropped a plane on him.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

peter gabriel posted:

It's not really hard I made this since my last post, they can use this if they like, it is open source

This is literally why you don't understand game development.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

peter gabriel posted:

I'd like to know the thought process that leads to 'better load up 123rf and steal it' rather than 'better load up illustrator and make it' when faced with the admittedly huge task of creating a 'Best Price Guaranteed' graphic

It's the equivalent of pissing in your boss' coffee, that's the most charitable explanation I can entertain

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Surface Detail are you Mr_Streaked in that stolen art thread on reddit?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

AP posted:

The Star Citizen youtube channel has 801 videos

Reminder, one of them is the below which they thought was a good idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSrWgU01QJ0&t=13s

Lol we better inform them of the two year anni'versary

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

They're appealing, though. This will probably go on for a couple more years. Also, Oculus was found innocent of stealing trade secrets from ZeniMax. The other side wanted up to 6 billion $. Looks like some greedy assholes trying to get a nice payout. And since Oculus is appealing, they still won't be seeing the money for years to come.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

I just do not understand how they equate Derek's game to making them right about Star Citizen or how it justifies their hate sub or how it makes Crobberts such a technical genious. Help me understand this friends.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Libluini posted:

They're appealing, though. This will probably go on for a couple more years. Also, Oculus was found innocent of stealing trade secrets from ZeniMax. The other side wanted up to 6 billion $. Looks like some greedy assholes trying to get a nice payout. And since Oculus is appealing, they still won't be seeing the money for years to come.

They actually had one of the major developers for oculus, that used to work for Zenimax (Carmack) admit that he took code he was working while at zenimax and used it on the oculus SDK. Part of the 500m that was awarded was based on that copyright infringement.

Its cool, Oculus and most of the people working there are trash anyways

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Fat Shat Sings posted:

?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc7ywfd1qe8
(the origin of paaarp)

Edit: 3 years since we made that? HA.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=165H_5jgE5g

What do you know, I just had to type "Chris Roberts coding" into google.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DapperDon posted:

I just do not understand how they equate Derek's game to making them right about Star Citizen or how it justifies their hate sub or how it makes Crobberts such a technical genious. Help me understand this friends.

Easy:

They.
Are.
Very.
Very.
Stupid.

That's the reason and now you too can understand idiots!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Hav posted:

The Fantasy setting was an utter pisstake of Tolkein originally, with Dwarves being borderline alcoholics that know how to hold a grudge. Second edition came with the 'Battle of Ork's Rift', which is a play on the events portrayed in the film 'Zulu'. The 'Empire' was largely based around the Holy Roman Empire with various other flavors of medieval thrown in. Orcs Iz Orcs.

The Far future version was much the same; I have the first printing of WH40K that I had on pre-order for fricking months and it's filled with sci-fi tropes, turning up the silly to the max.

Ansell's takeover then tipped us hard into 'Realms of Darkness' territory and a new world of tit-demons that would hold sway until a board revolt and effectively a corporate takeover which wanted to concentrate on extracting cash from nerds. Chaos got a huge buff during this time.

The corporate takeover started to throw more concentration into spessh marines, while neglecting other lines. Then they started with bigger kits, and rules for those kits (Apocalypse rules tend to require around $120/unit of three tanks), before killing off the Fantasy line due to a lack of sales.

It's been interesting watching the fortunes of the company over time, as they've always seemed so drat abusive to their customers, but drat it if they didn't produce an interesting set of worlds.

Slaanesh is going to get killed off, though. You can have a skull God, but not tit monsters.

They can take Noise Marines over my dead body.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

So does Ryan Archer still "freelance" at CIG? His twitter still has the SC logo on it.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

tooterfish posted:

CR was probably creating the .bat file for the SC loader

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

They actually had one of the major developers for oculus, that used to work for Zenimax (Carmack) admit that he took code he was working while at zenimax and used it on the oculus SDK. Part of the 500m that was awarded was based on that copyright infringement.

Its cool, Oculus and most of the people working there are trash anyways

Man, when the wind turns for SC it's going to be such a firestorm. I can't wait until SC "ships" and chris does pepperidge farms.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Parpridge Farms.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

World War 2

B-52

:doh:
Pretty sure the Nazis used B-52's to bomb Pearl Harbor.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Cutting myself now in anticipation.

Also have the next 15 Photoshopped refund "screenshots" ready for review by high command. o9

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

The Titanic posted:

Here's my own recollection of history...

Before Derek was on the scene, people like Beer4TheBeerGod were already doubting the project was possible, and actively posting about it being junk.

Now I don't believe the whole "it's a scam" came up before Derek though, he was involved by then.

But even without Derek, I think we'd all be at the same place today, though probably with less mass comedy and there'd be no hate forum on reddit dedicated to him.

Unfortunately Derek existing or not existing in the games timeline doesn't make it suddenly be great. Star Citizen would still be in the same condition it is now. Really though, it might be in worse condition today without Derek, because no doubt Chris has spent many hours yelling at people to get more done just to prove Derek wrong. In a comically round about fashion, Derek's involvement has probably helped Star Citizen be a better game. :shrug:

That and the fact that it was when my first blog went live in July 2015, and the media [shockingly] made it headlines, that the drama really took off. Naturally, the CIG response to it was what set the tone for the revelation of just how hosed up things truly were at CIG. Then The Escapist happened. And suddenly, the emperor was running around butt nekid; before eventually settling down to write an 8hr long diatribe which did even more harm.

Make no mistake, it's a massive scam and they're never - ever - going to recover from what's now been set in motion.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

tooterfish posted:

Chris Roberts coding:
*hits 4 random keys* Oh, hello. *starts waving hands and selling bullshit*

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Meridian posted:

I have no interest in the game itself but the setting is extremely awesome. I mean just look at this loving thing. Awesome.

Same.

I don't think I'll ever look into the game proper but I really enjoy the universe. I can play through Space Marine a few times a year still. I'm keeping an eye on that early access game (Eternal Crusade, found it) that's looking to do large scale multiplayer Space Marine, I'm hoping they can get that working nicely.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

Cutting myself now in anticipation.

Also have the next 15 Photoshopped refund "screenshots" ready for review by high command. o9

Wait, shouldn't we have a goonmeet so Derek can cut us while we all stroke his hateboner? More efficient that way.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

D_Smart posted:

============ OFFICIAL STATEMENT ==============

Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me, Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me :siren: THE JULY BLOG :siren: Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me. I didn't doxx anyone, I wrote a blog about doxxing, you want me to call your parents in [HOME STATE]? Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me.

Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me. Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me, Me Me Me Me Me Me.

big nipples big life fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 2, 2017

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

peter gabriel posted:

I found a vector image of a crowd on google image search with the intent to use it as a mock up for a client. I liked it so much I wanted to use it for the final artwork, so I booted up 123rf and asked their team to find that image if they had it, they found it, I bought an extended license and then went on with the project. That's kind of how it works when you are charging money for things, you do it properly.

Well buster. I got some bad news for you.

CIG not only knows all of your online aliases, and your name, but Chris Roberts just had one of his guys fill out a resume in your honor just so he can tear it up and throw it away.

This kind of progressive thinking doesn't get you a job at CIG.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
You are blackballed at all the video game companies as a 'config editor'. They found you out buddy and you'll never get a job in the industry. Not that you actually understand game development of course.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Jobbo_Fett posted:

World War 2

B-52

:doh:

The fidelity of my office transcends timelines.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

2 fantastic examples of the worst armrests ever.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

The Titanic posted:

The nut cracker bar on the one on the left is very stimpirical. :magical:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

2 fantastic examples of the worst armrests ever.

no u see your suppose to rest your hands on ur dick

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

DapperDon posted:

gently caress it. I am finally going to ask after all these years. What is WH40K about?

It is the 41st millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Emperor has sat immobile on the Golden Throne of Earth. He is the master of mankind by the will of the gods, and master of a million worlds by the might of his inexhaustible armies. He is a rotting carcass writhing invisibly with power from the Dark Age of Technology. He is the Carrion Lord of the Imperium for whom a thousand souls are sacrificed every day, so that he may never truly die.

Yet even in his deathless state, the Emperor continues his eternal vigilance. Mighty battlefleets cross the daemon-infested miasma of the warp, the only route between distant stars, their way lit by the Astronomican, the psychic manifestation of the Emperor’s will. Vast armies give battle in his name on uncounted worlds. Greatest amongst His soldiers are the Adeptus Astartes, the Space Marines, bio-engineered super-warriors. Their comrades in arms are legion: the Imperial Guard and countless planetary defence forces, the ever-vigilant Inquisition and the tech-priests of the Adeptus Mechanicus to name only a few. But for all their multitudes, they are barely enough to hold off the ever-present threat from aliens, heretics, mutants - and worse.

To be a man in such times is to be one amongst untold billions. It is to live in the cruellest and most bloody regime imaginable. These are the tales of those times. Forget the power of technology and science, for so much has been forgotten, never to be re-learned. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim dark future there is only war. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

MilesK posted:

Chris Roberts coding:
*hits 4 random keys* Oh, hello. *starts waving hands and selling bullshit*

:same:

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It is the 41st millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Emperor has sat immobile on the Golden Throne of Earth. He is the master of mankind by the will of the gods, and master of a million worlds by the might of his inexhaustible armies. He is a rotting carcass writhing invisibly with power from the Dark Age of Technology. He is the Carrion Lord of the Imperium for whom a thousand souls are sacrificed every day, so that he may never truly die.

Yet even in his deathless state, the Emperor continues his eternal vigilance. Mighty battlefleets cross the daemon-infested miasma of the warp, the only route between distant stars, their way lit by the Astronomican, the psychic manifestation of the Emperor’s will. Vast armies give battle in his name on uncounted worlds. Greatest amongst His soldiers are the Adeptus Astartes, the Space Marines, bio-engineered super-warriors. Their comrades in arms are legion: the Imperial Guard and countless planetary defence forces, the ever-vigilant Inquisition and the tech-priests of the Adeptus Mechanicus to name only a few. But for all their multitudes, they are barely enough to hold off the ever-present threat from aliens, heretics, mutants - and worse.

To be a man in such times is to be one amongst untold billions. It is to live in the cruellest and most bloody regime imaginable. These are the tales of those times. Forget the power of technology and science, for so much has been forgotten, never to be re-learned. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim dark future there is only war. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods.
Wow even the Stimpire was Archered.

Also Is there like a first book I should read to read more about the Stimpire Empire.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Its a setting for crazy miniature games, all the novels dilute it to tell overly serious stories that don't capture much of its appeal

and are mostly complete poo poo. :v:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3494493

As the title says, start with Eisenhorn. If you enjoy it, then after that trilogy I'd say try the Night Lords trilogy by Aaron Dembski-Bowden.

Eisenhorn is an Imperial Inquisitor doing Inquistiony things and is quite a good intro to the setting. The Night Lords are traitor space marines who are inhuman monsters.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 2, 2017

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Nope, from the kickstarter it's been called a scam and mocked.

You are mostly talking about the Games forum Star Citizen threads which were true believers up until 2015 or so. People could express some doubts but most people were bounced out of those threads with probations if they disturbed the flock of idiot goons with trolling.

I think Derek getting buttmad coincided with the collapse of the hugbox here finally allowing open mocking without moderator reprisal but there are threads in the gas chamber from 2012/2013 making fun of those goons/star citizen.

Thank you for the correction, friend. I have admittedly not been madly following this thing until it became a colossal disaster with people being mistreated left and right. So I was on it I think maybe half a year after the Kickstarter? I don't know. :)

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3494493

As the title says, start with Eisenhorn. If you enjoy it, then after that trilogy I'd say try the Night Lords trilogy by Aaron Dembski-Bowden.

Eisenhorn is an Imperial Inquisitor doing Inquistiony things and is quite a good intro to the setting. The Night Lords are traitor space marines who are inhuman monsters.

Thankyou!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

Ugh, that hurts to look at. I'd only ever have something like this in my house if I could install real retro-rockets into those things, so if someone pulls that emergency lever, they're getting slammed into the ceiling at light speed.

Saint Drogo posted:

Its a setting for crazy miniature games, all the novels dilute it to tell overly serious stories that don't capture much of its appeal

and are mostly complete poo poo. :v:

Except for Caiaphas Cain's novels. He is basically Hero of the Imperium, but against his will. He brings back the silliness this dour universe was solely missing.

Just for god's sake don't read all the novels in one sitting. (Because they're all styled in the same pattern and reading them back-to-back makes this really obvious.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

nice medown