Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Slenderman Documentary, just not feeling it.
Parents tell your kids about any Medical/Mental conditions that might be inherited!

Garth_Marenghi fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm looking forward to this showing up on Netflix, it's interesting because the documentary actually changed direction during filming because of Peter Thiel's involvement and the death of Gawker Media.

http://deadline.com/2017/01/nobody-speak-hulk-hogan-gawker-netflix-documentary-nick-denton-peter-thiel-1201892769/

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fisting Tent posted:

Parents tell your kids about any Medical/Medical conditions that might be inherited!
Holy poo poo that movie. We're just half-way through it. Just when you think "oh, that one girl is the mastermind and she's crazy, OH WAIT, that other girl is straight up nutters, NO, drat, it's the first one."

cstang
Oct 27, 2005

Da Bears

Fisting Tent posted:

Parents tell your kids about any Medical/Mental conditions that might be inherited!

I was looking forward to it for since it was announced. I had a hard time sitting through it. Cheesey editing and dumb skype interviews. It just felt sloppy and really put together very well. HBO used to have great documentaries but I haven't liked most of their newer ones.

For a good documentary check out "Gleason". It's about a former NFL player's battle with ALS. It's very well done but can be heartbreaking at times. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4632316/

cstang fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 26, 2017

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Fisting Tent posted:

This thing is 30 minutes too long. And the Skype gimmick very much dragged down the rest of it.

ESPN is doing a 30 for 30 on the XFL next week.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The biography Amy is on Amazon Prime, about the late Amy Winehouse. It's made by the same guy that made Senna and it's pretty good. It consists entirely of interviews with friends, family and artists who knew her, along with a lot of video shot by Amy and her friends.

It's a good introduction to her music, which I think is quite good, if you've only heard of one song or two like "Rehab". There are extended cuts of a number of songs along with video of the performances.

Kind of portrays her former husband and her dad to be enabling leeches who didn't help matters once she was heavy into drugs and alcohol.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Fisting Tent posted:

Just finished watching it as well and though the exact same thing about the reveal.

That judge. "Well, they'll be 18 some day, so let's try them as adults."

cstang posted:

dumb skype interviews.

How else are you going to get Richard loving Dawkins to talk about Slenderman?

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Maybe it's because I have a 1-year-old daughter, but Slenderman was pretty mind-melting to me. I wish the movie would have been more implicit about not ignoring mental illness in children instead of just touching on it late in the film.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I watched Stevie today and now I feel really gross especially since I come from rural America. It's so depressing and there were about 100 times I almost had to turn it off because what the gently caress, Universe, what the gently caress.

cstang
Oct 27, 2005

Da Bears
Anyone that's into documentaries about eccentric people should really check out "Curse Of The Man That Sees UFOs". It's streaming on Netflix.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

cstang posted:

Anyone that's into documentaries about eccentric people should really check out "Curse Of The Man That Sees UFOs". It's streaming on Netflix.

THANKS for this. Holy cow what a great, intimate documentary.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

magnificent7 posted:

THANKS for this. Holy cow what a great, intimate documentary.

I couldn't find it on netflix?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Has anyone seen Ride With Larry? I haven't, but I saw the clip that's going viral on Facebook and it's just crazy! If you haven't seen it, it's a guy with mad Parkinson's trying marijuana and literally becoming normal. It's just mind blowing. The film is about him riding across his state, looks like it's worth a rental.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Short Penguin posted:

I couldn't find it on netflix?

I just finished watching it on US Netflix, so maybe you're in the wrong country?

And man, yeah, it's really great. Netflix thought I'd only give it 3 stars which makes absolutely no sense given my viewing history. I think that's the worst the algorithm has ever been off because it's 5 stars easy.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

cstang posted:

I just got as far as the title screen and it's already too depressing too watch, please tell me it is worth it.

EDIT:
Ok it is!!!

Garth_Marenghi fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 2, 2017

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

cstang posted:

poo poo. Thank you for this. I knew a guy who was a lot like this guy: claimed to see UFOs all the time, seemed like a normal guy unless you got him to tell you about his "experiences", then sounded crazy but could show you hours of weird video footage that wasn't always easily explained (even if his explanations for the videos probably wasn't correct either).

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
On the topic of eccentric people, the Roky Documentary from about 10 years ago You're Gonna Miss Me should be on Netflix as well. It is really quite good.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

InfiniteZero posted:

poo poo. Thank you for this. I knew a guy who was a lot like this guy: claimed to see UFOs all the time, seemed like a normal guy unless you got him to tell you about his "experiences", then sounded crazy but could show you hours of weird video footage that wasn't always easily explained (even if his explanations for the videos probably wasn't correct either).
I LOVE a documentary that starts out with a mildly interesting human trick, then the documentarian narrates, "So I wasn't that impressed until he mentioned IN PASSING that he digs up corpses for bacon." (edit - TAHT IS NOT WHAT HAPPENS in this movie - but I mean - just something unexpected okay now that I'm re-editing again I realize this is almost entirely unrelated no you shut up.)

They're not easy to know right away - the huge OMG TWIST is lost if you know it going in.

Or maybe I'm projecting.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought the twist was that he's just an old chill dude who has, like many of us, been through some really unbelievable poo poo and still come out alive. I thought it was super upbeat ultimately.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Late to the party, but I've just watched Tickled: a super-strange and interesting story, made in a ham-fisted way. Too much of the documentary is "here's how the documentary was made" with an excess of illustrative shots (e.g. "We went to New York" followed by a montage of traffic in Manhattan) and awkward, stumbling interviewers. It could have been a much tighter and better 1 hour documentary.

Cartel Land by contrast was very well made, mixing characters with the wider story, even if it gave the feeling that the situation is hopeless.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

cstang posted:

Never would've even noticed this.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
the guardian has a documentary on their website about the battle for mosul.
It's not an easy watch, I'd say.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2017/feb/01/battle-for-mosul-iraq-isis-dirty-war-video

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Only the Dead is a pretty good documentary on Netflix's about a reporter in Iraq. It's not super investigative but it was an interesting look at one mans experience with the craziness that was Iraq.

Description:

In 2003, war correspondent Michael Ware travels to Baghdad during the invasion. As he tries to find out about a brutal Al Qaeda leader, he receives a tape from Abu Musab al Zarqawi.

Trailer

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Ropes4u posted:

Only the Dead is a pretty good documentary on Netflix's about a reporter in Iraq. It's not super investigative but it was an interesting look at one mans experience with the craziness that was Iraq.

Description:

In 2003, war correspondent Michael Ware travels to Baghdad during the invasion. As he tries to find out about a brutal Al Qaeda leader, he receives a tape from Abu Musab al Zarqawi.

Trailer

I don't remember the particular city, (not Fallujah, which is harrowing for other reasons...Ramadi?) but there's a section where the guy's embedded with an American squad that is basically running for their lives while being shot at in tight city streets. And running up to Iraqis and hopelessly begging them to stop supporting the insurgents. Just insane.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Cocoa Ninja posted:

I don't remember the particular city, (not Fallujah, which is harrowing for other reasons...Ramadi?) but there's a section where the guy's embedded with an American squad that is basically running for their lives while being shot at in tight city streets. And running up to Iraqis and hopelessly begging them to stop supporting the insurgents. Just insane.

It brings to life how chaos that is war. K forgot to mention he was also with Staff Sgt Bellavida when he entered the hell house to rout out insurgents. Staff Sgt Bellavida later wrote a book called "House to House"

And - skip past the part where the behead Nick Berg.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ropes4u posted:

It brings to life how chaos that is war. K forgot to mention he was also with Staff Sgt Bellavida when he entered the hell house to rout out insurgents. Staff Sgt Bellavida later wrote a book called "House to House"

And - skip past the part where the behead Nick Berg.
Ohhhh loving hell, Nick Berg - talk about a trigger-warning that I appreciate being mentioned..! :(

Many years (15-20ish?) ago during the Iraq war, I was working in a call-center where I was performing cold-calls to customers of a certain shipping company (whose main color-scheme is yellow with red lettering, and which was way better known for international shipping than US-domestic, at that time) after they'd been bought out by a larger shipping company. I called this gentleman who was extremely upset and kept loving up my survey script because he was DEEEEP in debt, and was trying to keep his radio-equipment-installing business above water, and when he got a call from his "major shipping solution" who he was in debt to, he freaked the gently caress out.

He spent a looot of time begging me to pass on to my supervisors (who literally gave almost zero shits - since we were just a survey place and not customer support) that he had a big contract and was currently in Iraq supplying radio equipment to the US and allied military, begging that his account not be shut down because he was about to close on a big contract.

You'll never guess what his loving name was - I only made the connection a couple months later when I saw his name in the paper - and I literally went and vomited my guts out when it hit me. He was such a nice guy, and desperate to keep his company afloat! And I watched a video on the loving internet at the local public library, showing him having his head sawn-off.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Feb 6, 2017

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Are there any good documentaries about Troma?

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012

Unmature posted:

Are there any good documentaries about Troma?
You probably already know these but Troma has feature length making of documentaries about some of their movies which you can see on their youtube channel (as well as most of their films apparently?!). The ones I saw were all pretty entertaining, in particular the one about Poultrygeist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJFICyxV7xA

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

coyo7e posted:

Ohhhh loving hell, Nick Berg - talk about a trigger-warning that I appreciate being mentioned..! :(

Many years (15-20ish?) ago during the Iraq war, I was working in a call-center where I was performing cold-calls to customers of a certain shipping company (whose main color-scheme is yellow with red lettering, and which was way better known for international shipping than US-domestic, at that time) after they'd been bought out by a larger shipping company. I called this gentleman who was extremely upset and kept loving up my survey script because he was DEEEEP in debt, and was trying to keep his radio-equipment-installing business above water, and when he got a call from his "major shipping solution" who he was in debt to, he freaked the gently caress out.

He spent a looot of time begging me to pass on to my supervisors (who literally gave almost zero shits - since we were just a survey place and not customer support) that he had a big contract and was currently in Iraq supplying radio equipment to the US and allied military, begging that his account not be shut down because he was about to close on a big contract.

You'll never guess what his loving name was - I only made the connection a couple months later when I saw his name in the paper - and I literally went and vomited my guts out when it hit me. He was such a nice guy, and desperate to keep his company afloat! And I watched a video on the loving internet at the local public library, showing him having his head sawn-off.

Holy poo poo.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Goddamn, just watched the Eagles of Death Metal: Nos Amis doc on hbo. What a sad, harrowing doc. They talk about the formation of the band with Boots and Josh, and then the terrorist attack in Paris. Listening to the survivors talk about that night is so sad, but watching them and the band find redemption and salvation through rock and roll! was pretty awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zplt0aHREVE

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Even though it's extremely one-sided (for reasons that may or may not be super obvious) Amanda Knox on Netflix is really fascinating if you want to get really, really angry about small town police investigations and the media.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Just watched Only the dead, skipped the Nick Berg section thanks for the heads up BTW, and it really is a brutal docu.

The last part was truly horrific with the dude just lying there, dying.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I spent most of my life, honest to god, thinking that I was totes cool with anything that didn't make me squeamish (Faces of Death, etc) and that I didn't get why people had massive emotional reactions to poo poo like 9/11, terror attacks, etc. In the early 00's I even thought that watching beheading videos etc was going to not affect me (and they mainly didn't) and I was like "wow, I'm like superman except immune to terrorism!"

I was loving proven wrong because even as I think about Mr. Berg, I'm choking up.

Sometimes a thing just has to brush past you to leave a lasting mark - even when you think you're a hard-rear end and/or "over it".

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

coyo7e posted:

I spent most of my life, honest to god, thinking that I was totes cool with anything that didn't make me squeamish (Faces of Death, etc) and that I didn't get why people had massive emotional reactions to poo poo like 9/11, terror attacks, etc. In the early 00's I even thought that watching beheading videos etc was going to not affect me (and they mainly didn't) and I was like "wow, I'm like superman except immune to terrorism!"

I was loving proven wrong because even as I think about Mr. Berg, I'm choking up.

Sometimes a thing just has to brush past you to leave a lasting mark - even when you think you're a hard-rear end and/or "over it".

You should worry when poo poo like that does not affect you anymore.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

cstang posted:

Im only halfway thru but this is dope, thanks

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Im only halfway thru but this is dope, thanks

It's really good. Best going into it not knowing a thing about it other than the title.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I checked out The Other Side the other night just based off some lists I googled for best docs of 2016. It was really...interesting. I'm sure it's been discussed here but it follows a meth addict/dealer in The Deep South. The way it's filmed along with how out there the characters are and the way they talk (literally they sound like they're scripted but the best actors ever) I had to google a few times to make sure it was not a documentary. It's super surreal and there's some pretty loving awful stuff in it very pregnant stripper shooting up, meth addict sex and a ton of (one) cock. The second part follows a kind of militia group in what I assume to be the same area that isn't as interesting but would have probably been good on its own and presented in more of a Cartel Land/Narco Cultura way. It's incredibly harrowing and as hosed up as it may seem It made me look at "meth heads"/drug addicts in a more sympathizing light while also being completely shocked by them. I think I recommend it.

I also watched The Great Alone (streaming on Netflix) about Lance Mackey who competes in the Iditarod races in a kind. It's a mix of like will to win stuff and proving to your dad you're worth something. Pretty good overall. Dogs are the best but I wish they focused more on his relationships with the dogs. It seemed kind of disjointed. Liked it tho.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

I checked out The Other Side the other night just based off some lists I googled for best docs of 2016. It was really...interesting. I'm sure it's been discussed here but it follows a meth addict/dealer in The Deep South. The way it's filmed along with how out there the characters are and the way they talk (literally they sound like they're scripted but the best actors ever) I had to google a few times to make sure it was not a documentary. It's super surreal and there's some pretty loving awful stuff in it very pregnant stripper shooting up, meth addict sex and a ton of (one) cock. The second part follows a kind of militia group in what I assume to be the same area that isn't as interesting but would have probably been good on its own and presented in more of a Cartel Land/Narco Cultura way. It's incredibly harrowing and as hosed up as it may seem It made me look at "meth heads"/drug addicts in a more sympathizing light while also being completely shocked by them. I think I recommend it.

I also watched The Great Alone (streaming on Netflix) about Lance Mackey who competes in the Iditarod races in a kind. It's a mix of like will to win stuff and proving to your dad you're worth something. Pretty good overall. Dogs are the best but I wish they focused more on his relationships with the dogs. It seemed kind of disjointed. Liked it tho.

You post in the rap thread a whole bunch, other than the Tribe Called Quest one, are there any great hip hop docs?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

El Gallinero Gros posted:

You post in the rap thread a whole bunch, other than the Tribe Called Quest one, are there any great hip hop docs?

The Show!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Hm honestly not really my forte. Ruddinger may have better suggestions but Style Wars is an absolute classic of course.

I really really recommend the Lil Wayne Carter Documentary. If you want to go the more "indulgent" route, the Lil Wayne Carter 3 documentary should be available to stream. If you're a fan of his music or ever have liked any of his songs it's a pretty interesting look at him. It's probably just before the peak/valley of his lean use and follows him in the time leading up to the Carter 3 releasing, which sold over a million units in the first week. If you know more of the story with him not getting paid and hosed over by Birdman it's one of those things where in the moment it looks great but in hindsight you can see how hosed the whole situation is. He gets a Bentley as a gift but then years later isn't paid by the label. It's a pretty good decent look inside one of the biggest artists of the 21st century but still got that low grade "following a rapper with a camera" fun to it where he's just rapping in the tour bus. It's good.

I watched a pretty good DJ Screw "documentary" recently, I put it in quotes cause it's really just like footage thrown together following an artist and people talking about him. Dude was an absolute legend, he'd have a line of cars outside his house in the middle of the night waiting on him to sell his new chopped and screwed tapes. I'm on my phone and lazy right now but I'm pretty sure is on YouTube, either way definitely an artist worth watching any documentary you can find.

The Nas Illmatic documentary is supposed to be awesome, I'll watch that tomorrow night and report back.

Check out the Beef series. All about rappers having feuds with each other. I know Vol 1-3 are good. It's kind of tough for me to think about these from the perspective of someone who didn't watch these when growing up and following the beefs religiously but the more I think about it I bet they're pretty fking fascinating from an outsider perspective. I'm gonna try to watch one tonight. If anyone watches any of these with little to no context please let me know what you think, very curious.

Snow on tha Bluff if it counts lol

Good stuff! Let me know if anyone watches any or has any other suggestions