Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

get that OUT of my face posted:

"Woof woof cowabunga thanks for the blowjob!" The third part of Man Seeking Woman was the highlight of the season so far.

Speaking of dogs and tv, did Downward Dog actually air? That show where the promo made it look like the talking dog and the lady wanted to gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I kind of want to give Riverdale a chance but I keep seeing clips or catching lines at other people's homes (oddly, a lot of people I know seem to be giving it a shot and I seem to be around when they are) and every time I do I'm just so embarrassed by it I can't watch.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm sure you watch way more embarrassing things.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The dialogue and everything was real fuckin bad. If it wasn't a radical reinvention of a previously existing properly nobody would give a poo poo.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

The dialogue and everything was real fuckin bad. If it wasn't a radical reinvention of a previously existing properly nobody would give a poo poo.

This is the realization I've come to. There's nothing particularly interesting or compelling about it besides a. it's Archie but darker and b. there's lots of pretty young people in it.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Ever have a supporting actor on a tv show leave because they think they can do better on another show as lead? Do either shows, the show they were on previously or the one they get into next ever succeed?

Closest I can think of is Tom Ellis leaving Once Upon a Time even though his character was going to get full-time supporting to do Lucifer.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Pan Dulce posted:

Ever have a supporting actor on a tv show leave because they think they can do better on another show as lead? Do either shows, the show they were on previously or the one they get into next ever succeed?

Closest I can think of is Tom Ellis leaving Once Upon a Time even though his character was going to get full-time supporting to do Lucifer.

Tom Ellis went from OUAT to Rush to Lucifer, it was a lateral move from lead to lead.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Pan Dulce posted:

Taraji P. Henson from Person of Interest to Empire.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Colton Haynes left Teen Wolf for a role on Arrow where like two thirds of his scenes ended up being cut. Then he left Arrow to do film and his first major role was in a critical failure.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

David Boreanz from Buffy to Angel.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pan Dulce posted:

Terry Farrell left Deep Space Nine to star alongside Ted Danson in Becker, which had a decent run.

It's kind of cheating, but Steve Carell leaving The Daily Show for The Office, and Colbert leaving to do The Colbert Report, worked out pretty well for everyone.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

They're not talking about Vikings.

:doh: drat those shows airing at the same time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The guy that plays Lincoln on The 100 quit the show and now he's starring in American Gods

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Didn't that happen like a year ago?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah. He was just a supporting actor on The 100 and now he's the star of another show.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Everyone who left Flash and Arrow for Legends.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I would love a LOD mini series where they realize that it's up to them to save the universe because the Legends hosed up and broke reality.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think Riverdale is legitimately good on its own merits. It is formulaic though. I'll give you that. Based on the exactly one episode I've watched.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

precision posted:

I think Riverdale is legitimately good on its own merits. It is formulaic though. I'll give you that. Based on the exactly one episode I've watched.

That one episode -- which I admired and will defend as legitimately intriguing -- was bleeding from the nose and foaming at the mouth from all the pop culture references it was ODing on. That's part and parcel with typical first episode jitters, though; if we get to episode 10 and every fourth line is an awkward 1960s film reference, though, there's gonna be a problem.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYSCjwc6pEo

I hope this is as much fun as the Mcelroy's other podcasts and youtube stuff.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Pan Dulce posted:

Kal Penn left a starring role on House for a supporting gig on some reality political show

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

The guy that plays Lincoln on The 100 quit the show and now he's starring in American Gods

Actually the writers wrote him out then he happened to get that role.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The CW App is driving me crazy playing the same ads for the same CW shows over and over again in the same break.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wandle Cax posted:

Actually the writers wrote him out then he happened to get that role.

The actor claims he quit

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was something hinky going on seeing as even before they killed him off they had completely sidelined the character.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
You ever read a TV review and then just start laughing uncontrollably halfway through it, because you've been waiting for the show in question and it sounds like it exceeded every unreasonably high expectation you had?

Just me, huh? Makes sense. Here's the start of Alan Sepinwall's take on Legion:

quote:

“I have to know. Is this… is this real?”

So wonders David Haller, the hero of Legion, FX’s new X-Men spin-off series, and it’s a question he asks, or is asked, over and over throughout the show’s pilot episode, which debuts next Wednesday night at 10pm ET.

David, you see, has spent most of his life being told that he’s mentally ill, and has been medicated accordingly. But as the series begins, he starts encountering mysterious people who suggest he’s perfectly healthy, and that what psychiatrists mistook for a disorder was actually the manifestation of David’s vast mutant psychic powers. So as David (Dan Stevens) toggles back and forth between the two explanations for the voices in his head, he understandably keeps wondering if any of this — his powers, his would-be girlfriend Syd (Rachel Keller), best friend Lenny (Aubrey Plaza), and the various alleged forces of light and dark — actually exists.

David’s question is also one I found myself asking often as I raced through the stunning debut episode and the two wonderful hours of TV that follow it. Legion is so strange, so idiosyncratic, so outside the norms of anything we’ve come to expect from modern comic book adaptations, on the big screen or small, that it was hard not to wonder if I was just imagining the whole thing, or if it was an elaborate, expensive prank perpetrated by FX and Fargo creator Noah Hawley, here adapting a relatively obscure X-character introduced in the ’80s by Chris Claremont and Bill Sienkiewicz.

EDIT: HOLY making GBS threads GOD, READ THAT REVIEW. It sounds like Hawley went all loving in on this one.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 3, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

"Is FX’s ‘X-Men’ Spin-Off ‘Legion’ The First Truly Great Comic Book TV Series?"

No. That was Batman '66.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Silly x-o, don't you know that television started in 1989?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The DC CW 5 days a week might be closer to reality.

Per AV Club

quote:

Yet another Greg Berlanti series is about to make its way from a foster network to its forever home at The CW, with Deadline reporting that Black Lightning is likely to jump ship from Fox to Berlanti’s personal TV empire. Developed by Salim and Mara Brock Akil, the show is based on DC Comics hero Jefferson Pierce, who gets back into the vigilante game after years of retirement. Fox ultimately passed on the show, citing a schedule that’s already packed with genre fare; it took Warner Bros. roughly a second to start talking about acquiring the series for itself.

http://www.avclub.com/article/greg-berlantis-black-lightning-series-might-be-lea-249636

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wonder if they can get Sinbad to reprise his role.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

I wonder if they can get Sinbad to reprise his role.

"Hulk not good with words...Hulk write down..."

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
On episode 6 of Sneaky Pete. This is a fun show.

well, dark but fun.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

X-O posted:

"Is FX’s ‘X-Men’ Spin-Off ‘Legion’ The First Truly Great Comic Book TV Series?"

No. That was Batman '66.

You know this got me thinking about how many comic book based shows have won Emmy's. off the top of my head Batman '66, Batman: the animated series, Walking Dead, and Jessica Jones. Am I missing any?

Not that winning an Emmy is actually a sign of greatness but still.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

DivisionPost posted:

You ever read a TV review and then just start laughing uncontrollably halfway through it, because you've been waiting for the show in question and it sounds like it exceeded every unreasonably high expectation you had?

Just me, huh? Makes sense. Here's the start of Alan Sepinwall's take on Legion:

EDIT: HOLY making GBS threads GOD, READ THAT REVIEW. It sounds like Hawley went all loving in on this one.

I am really excited for Legion and I don't care one bit about the source material.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

IRQ posted:

Speaking of dogs and tv, did Downward Dog actually air? That show where the promo made it look like the talking dog and the lady wanted to gently caress?
Uhhhhh, what

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tortolia posted:

I am really excited for Legion and I don't care one bit about the source material.

It doesn't really sound like the showrunners cared about it either.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So does he actually have multiple personalities in the show? That's the whole reason for the name Legion after all.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Edmund Lava posted:

You know this got me thinking about how many comic book based shows have won Emmy's. off the top of my head Batman '66, Batman: the animated series, Walking Dead, and Jessica Jones. Am I missing any?

Lois & Clark criminally ignored.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
For good reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Edmund Lava posted:

My roommate won an emmy. We use the statue to open beer bottles.

Also, Riverdale is great.

*ominous music plays*

"Hey Jugg, you coming in? We got take out from Pop's."

• Locked thread