Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

GrossMurpel posted:

Yeah I wasn't saying the game is particularly deep, but your post just reminded me too much of people criticizing video games with stuff like "wow this is boring you just press buttons". :v:
It definitely needs some more depth but it's a fun twist.

The basic mechanic is pretty neat, but it really could use more depth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The Ninth Layer posted:

In Trimps, when should I be switching from Lead to Corrupted? At 300M Helium collected it seems like Corrupted is a huge drop in run efficiency, by the 160s/170s my helium/hr takes a huge hit and by the time I've finished corrupted I could have completed two lead runs instead.

Around when you can start hitting spire. Lead becomes better again when you get Head Start III from what I've read.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
300m should definitely be enough to start hitting the spire and doing corrupted - it should definitely be plenty to finish the first row of the spire, and with toughness 2 you'll soon be able to get power 2, at which point corrupted should be trivial.

If you're using AT I did find that it didn't seem to know how to run corrupted efficiently. With corruption farming enabled it farmed way too much near the end, with it disabled it farmed too little. The only solution I could find was enabled it and then using the console to set the farming threshold to 50ish instead of the default 16.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 2, 2017

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Sage Grimm posted:

This is true. I guess it was lost in the brevity but I wasn't saying it was a terrible game; my tolerance for idle games has definitely gotten shorter after getting through the more well-known choices. Idle Bouncer is early on and it appears to be getting regular updates so it may eventually evolve into a more crunchy game for me.

I'm kind of feeling this way too. I've played a lot of different incrementals lately that all individually have some interesting idea or gimmick, but none that have really kept my interest for very long at all. Realm Grinder was the last one I sunk many, many hours in, but I haven't come back since the new stuff was added recently. It just seems like it takes too long.

I think the "genre" as weird as it still is to call it that could really use more games like Shark Clicker or Crank. Games that either have a story or at least have an aesthetic that implies one. For me, just seeing the numbers go up isn't quite enough anymore. I want a reward too! It's basically impossible to find any games like this, though. Even the monstrously huge tapper market on mobile is basically devoid of anything new that I've found.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Poultron posted:

Even the monstrously huge tapper market on mobile is basically devoid of anything new that I've found.

Or bogged down by freemium baggage. I recently tried Egg Inc. and it at first appears to have this incredible pace of play, you got all these options opening up within minutes and you can click, click, click. Then as it slows down, new stuff isn't opening up easily. And it's bugging you to restart. Except after the restart you aren't going much faster and the next tier is still plenty far away. That tasty polynomial growth was actually logarithmic and you're past the hump. So there's incentive to invest with cash for persistent upgrades to keep that pace going. Then you have Tap Smiths with a strong, addicting element to it but chunks up play into 15 second segments. Each segment it bothers you before and after with "watch ads for rewards," "buy this pack before the discount goes away," "use these temporary boosts that can be bought for cash," or the worst of it "well you finished that segment but for a tiny bit of cash/ad time you can get 5 more seconds!" Good concept, terrible execution because it's so noticeable.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Yeah I was really close to really loving Tap Smiths, and I know that they have to make money somehow, but the pace of gameplay was just not quite correct. I feel like if they doubled the normal length of play it would feel significantly better, even with no other changes.

shs
Feb 14, 2012

Poultron posted:

I'm kind of feeling this way too. I've played a lot of different incrementals lately that all individually have some interesting idea or gimmick, but none that have really kept my interest for very long at all. Realm Grinder was the last one I sunk many, many hours in, but I haven't come back since the new stuff was added recently. It just seems like it takes too long.

I think the "genre" as weird as it still is to call it that could really use more games like Shark Clicker or Crank. Games that either have a story or at least have an aesthetic that implies one. For me, just seeing the numbers go up isn't quite enough anymore. I want a reward too! It's basically impossible to find any games like this, though. Even the monstrously huge tapper market on mobile is basically devoid of anything new that I've found.

There definitely hasn't been anything new under the sun recently.

One thing I'd like to try and make if I ever have any free time again is something with a multiplayer element. The singleplayer part would have the expected idle/mmo-esque elements. You'd have a character that automatically fights monsters, can be geared and dressed up, factions to join, etc. For the multiplayer part, you'd submit your character data to a database, then a client I have my own computer would fetch random characters and form a sort of idle raid group that fights monsters together, while streaming everything to twitchtv. Random people in chat could contribute... something. Maybe bet on who they think will die first.

Unfortunately I don't have time for anything new right now.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

There's that new nimblebit mobile idler but it's in beta and feels it. I've prestiged three times now and it still doesn't feel any faster at all. It's basically Egg Inc. only a helluva lot slower

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Vil posted:

Pick your favorite dwarf build (probably dwairies), throw in E290 if you're having a hard time affording excavations, and excavate. Consider waiting for a later R or using rubies to reset excavations if needed.

You need to have dwarven forges and 3250 excavations, and beyond that it's a 0.5% chance per excavation. There's a similar artifact for drow with the same requirements (drow UB, 3250 excavations, 0.5% chance per excavation after that), which adds slots to drow builds. It's called Flame of Bondelnar. Both the horn and the flame are filed under quest artifacts rather than lore artifacts.

I'm a little surprised you didn't come across it in the process of getting through the R30s, actually, either accidentally just by playing, or by trying to use established dwairy (or whatever) builds and asking this same question of why you didn't have enough slots.

Its one i always thought to get but never did. I have gone entire R's without excavating at all >< i forget i can do that.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Man, gently caress the Nom repeatable challenge in trimps. I'm doing it just the one time to set another record high helium amount so I can spend my 200 bones on portals that give a better return than my current high. It's so frustratingly slow though. So much sitting and grinding in maps or just through relatively slow world progress.

Never again.

I'm using a customized helium allocation and everything, i don't think i can speed it up all that much beyond just having more helium than I currently do.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 3, 2017

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Idle Bouncer is actually some kinda nice brainless fun. If you hit level 500 on a ball it skyrockets x1M so it's not as linear progressionwise as I thought.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Aurora posted:

Idle Bouncer is actually some kinda nice brainless fun. If you hit level 500 on a ball it skyrockets x1M so it's not as linear progressionwise as I thought.

The bouncing balls are mesmerizing but that's all the game has going for it linear or not. The second you wish for flavor or new mechanics or something else besides mixing up the ball you want bouncing the longest and highest is the second the game loses all pull.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Maybe I'll get back into Realm Grinder after all. I vaguely feel like starting over like someone else mentioned, but then I remembered all those ludicrous loving weeklong grinds I had to do.

And I also remembered there's only more of those ahead, so gently caress it.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

The bouncing balls are mesmerizing but that's all the game has going for it linear or not. The second you wish for flavor or new mechanics or something else besides mixing up the ball you want bouncing the longest and highest is the second the game loses all pull.

:shrug:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Get good

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Nice.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I got to like Sg or something. My first reaction to those screens was definitely "wait there are multiple balls you can get?" What I'm saying is I felt drained afterwards, the magic sucked on me and I wished to be free of it.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

has shark game updated recently? that one was my favourite. i've been enjoying swarm simulator but i wish it had charming graphics like shark game.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

juggalo baby coffin posted:

has shark game updated recently? that one was my favourite. i've been enjoying swarm simulator but i wish it had charming graphics like shark game.

Sadly no. Cirrial talked about a Shark Game 2 last time he was around but that was quite a while ago.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I was trying to knock out RG Dragon Challenges 4 5 and 6 in one go, and I underestimated how much S30 research would help after that long a time. I'm stuck 10k mana short of the goal :negative: I'm going out of town next week so that'll give Barkscales time to put a dent in the tier costs and when I'm back I should be able to afford the excavations to hit the faction coin req.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I got to like Sg or something. My first reaction to those screens was definitely "wait there are multiple balls you can get?" What I'm saying is I felt drained afterwards, the magic sucked on me and I wished to be free of it.
The manual clicking every time you get another tube really slowed down the beginning of the game and then the having to reclick every so often ruining idling made me feel about this way, in hindsight. Well phrased.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
which faction do you guys join to grand to your first reincarnation?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

For Realm Grinder, what's a good research build for getting the Elder Dragon upgrade? I run into the problem of either not being able to hit the max mana, or I completely overshoot the max mana requirement but can't generate enough money to actually buy the upgrade.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Randalor posted:

For Realm Grinder, what's a good research build for getting the Elder Dragon upgrade? I run into the problem of either not being able to hit the max mana, or I completely overshoot the max mana requirement but can't generate enough money to actually buy the upgrade.

http://musicfamily.org/realm/NeutralPrestigeBuilds/

Have a look under the "dragon unlock" section. It goes a lot faster if you can claw your way up to e33 gems first.

Holyshoot posted:

which faction do you guys join to grand to your first reincarnation?

Dwarf/Fairy (Dwairy) if all that's left is to grind gems to that point.

However, R0 is a bunch of unlocks, so you might not yet be at that stage. Big-picture summary of R0:

- All six vanilla factions to unlock their heritages and learn their playstyles (don't start with Goblins, their spell basically needs nonzero gems to work properly)
- Your favorite playstyle of those (not Undead, they're infamously bad overall), to progress gems far enough to get 20 excavations and unlock Titans
- Titans until you get 25 excavations and unlock Druids, and maybe for an occasional change of pace even after you unlock Druids
- Druids for a lot of gem grinding until 200 excavations to unlock Dwarves/Drow and probably some more gem grinding after that to be able to afford their unlock quests
- Fairy for the final Dwarf unlock step that needs a ton of inns and buildings
- Dwarf/Angel if you plan to unlock Drow in R0, since you probably still need to rack up 10,000 spell casts and angels are best at that
- Goblin or Demon for the final Drow unlock step if you do that, otherwise it can wait until R3+ when it's faster to rack up the spell casts
- Dwarf/Fairy otherwise until your gems are high enough to reincarnate

And along the way, see what secret trophy unlocks you can easily snag. Some of them, like Mathematician or Speed Run, offer very nice benefits.

Unlocking Faceless can be delayed until a later R, and is good to do along with other things that require a lot of time spent in one abdication (like Beard Carpet). But if you're gonna take a 36-hour (or longer) break from the game for whatever reason you can just leave it on something that can afford the unlock once you get back, assuming you've got the 30 excavations as well.

Finally, R0 is one of the individual reincarnations that takes the longest (quite a lot of them you can knock out in a matter of hours, or sometimes under an hour) and has you playing as a variety of alignments, so it's often a good idea to consider pursuing Equality in R0 if you don't have major alignment-time imbalance. Equality requires a minimum of 1 day as each of good, evil, and neutral alignment, and for all the alignments to be within 60 seconds of each other. If planned out well, you can hit it right at the 3 day total mark.

You don't have to be online when you meet the requirement, so if you get two alignments close enough to each other and over 1 day, and the third less than that, you can just leave yourself on the third and idle or go offline, and you'll qualify when you come back even though you're now uneven in the other direction, since at some point during that idle/offline progress you had a period where you qualified.

Reincarnating resets those timers as far as Equality's concerned, which is helpful for if you've got like 3 months good and 2 days evil/neutral, but counterproductive if you've got 1 day evil, 1 day neutral, and 22 hours good.

Vil fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 6, 2017

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Vil posted:

Have a look under the "dragon unlock" section. It goes a lot faster if you can claw your way up to e33 gems first.

Holy poo poo that site's got a lot of data the old wiki doesn't. Thanks for the link.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Vil posted:

Dwarf/Fairy (Dwairy) if all that's left is to grind gems to that point.

However, R0 is a bunch of unlocks, so you might not yet be at that stage. Big-picture summary of R0:

- All six vanilla factions to unlock their heritages and learn their playstyles (don't start with Goblins, their spell basically needs nonzero gems to work properly)
- Your favorite playstyle of those (not Undead, they're infamously bad overall), to progress gems far enough to get 20 excavations and unlock Titans
- Titans until you get 25 excavations and unlock Druids, and maybe for an occasional change of pace even after you unlock Druids
- Druids for a lot of gem grinding until 200 excavations to unlock Dwarves/Drow and probably some more gem grinding after that to be able to afford their unlock quests
- Fairy for the final Dwarf unlock step that needs a ton of inns and buildings
- Dwarf/Angel if you plan to unlock Drow in R0, since you probably still need to rack up 10,000 spell casts and angels are best at that
- Goblin or Demon for the final Drow unlock step if you do that, otherwise it can wait until R3+ when it's faster to rack up the spell casts
- Dwarf/Fairy otherwise until your gems are high enough to reincarnate

And along the way, see what secret trophy unlocks you can easily snag. Some of them, like Mathematician or Speed Run, offer very nice benefits.

Unlocking Faceless can be delayed until a later R, and is good to do along with other things that require a lot of time spent in one abdication (like Beard Carpet). But if you're gonna take a 36-hour (or longer) break from the game for whatever reason you can just leave it on something that can afford the unlock once you get back, assuming you've got the 30 excavations as well.

Finally, R0 is one of the individual reincarnations that takes the longest (quite a lot of them you can knock out in a matter of hours, or sometimes under an hour) and has you playing as a variety of alignments, so it's often a good idea to consider pursuing Equality in R0 if you don't have major alignment-time imbalance. Equality requires a minimum of 1 day as each of good, evil, and neutral alignment, and for all the alignments to be within 60 seconds of each other. If planned out well, you can hit it right at the 3 day total mark.

You don't have to be online when you meet the requirement, so if you get two alignments close enough to each other and over 1 day, and the third less than that, you can just leave yourself on the third and idle or go offline, and you'll qualify when you come back even though you're now uneven in the other direction, since at some point during that idle/offline progress you had a period where you qualified.

Reincarnating resets those timers as far as Equality's concerned, which is helpful for if you've got like 3 months good and 2 days evil/neutral, but counterproductive if you've got 1 day evil, 1 day neutral, and 22 hours good.

This is all good advice but makes me realize the mobile version is horrid if you'd want to do all that.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Soda Dungeon is out on Steam now.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

why do so many of these Realm Grinder research builds so heavily boost clicking reward in non-elf situations? Is there a a mechanic I'm missing or are they assuming autoclicker use?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Captain Foo posted:

why do so many of these Realm Grinder research builds so heavily boost clicking reward in non-elf situations? Is there a a mechanic I'm missing or are they assuming autoclicker use?

Assistant output is based on click reward.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kyrosiris posted:

Assistant output is based on click reward.

:stare: well then!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Yeah, if they haven't changed the help text for assistants (which I assume they haven't because it's been vague forever) it's something like "clicks the treasure once per second" but they do indeed literally mean "they give you one click worth of money once per second" so clicking rewards are actually just straight-up multipliers for every build rather than just Elf-based clicking ones.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, if they haven't changed the help text for assistants (which I assume they haven't because it's been vague forever) it's something like "clicks the treasure once per second" but they do indeed literally mean "they give you one click worth of money once per second" so clicking rewards are actually just straight-up multipliers for every build rather than just Elf-based clicking ones.

yeah it's pretty vague, but that's good to know that your effective autoclick rate is assistants per second.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Exactly! That's the best way to put it.

(And they don't count for click achievements, but I'm sure you knew that because if they did you would have gotten them all by now.)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Ugh, these last two orders of magnitude of gems in R46 are miserable.

Is there anything that's not "let it run for nine years" to go from e30 to e32 in R46?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Trying this out, it seems pretty neat!

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Neat, I've tried it out on mobile before. It's pretty fun but it really is a lot of idling, and my phone is quite old with a poo poo battery so I couldn't really play it too effectively.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It lets you get into the meat of things pretty quickly, so I'm pretty satisfied with it so far.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Kinda stuck in Soda Dungeon in the 3rd dimension around the level 270 mark. Seems like I just need to grind over and over in order to unlock the 500k soda. Am I doing something wrong? I'd rather just cheat in 500k then grind the same poo poo over and over about 10 times.

edit: Nvm figured it out. I needed to just to 10 level runs to slowly build up to 300, instead of started runs earlier.

Garfu fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 8, 2017

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you're grinding for gold be sure to use things like the Gold Shield (+30-40% gold per character depending on its level) and Vaan's Magnet if you have a spare accessory slot on a dude. That will let you start a hundred+ levels back and make the same for each monster as you would starting near your max.

I don't think the merchant is too useful, though. Thief seems better because he can hold a Magnet + whatever and you get all the chests from each boss to sell to the blacksmith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

a messed up horse posted:

If you're grinding for gold be sure to use things like the Gold Shield (+30-40% gold per character depending on its level) and Vaan's Magnet if you have a spare accessory slot on a dude. That will let you start a hundred+ levels back and make the same for each monster as you would starting near your max.

I don't think the merchant is too useful, though. Thief seems better because he can hold a Magnet + whatever and you get all the chests from each boss to sell to the blacksmith.

I'm up to level 400 and haven't seen either of those things. Are they coming up soon?