Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Basically sherlock asks anonymous for help and they hack the plot to save the day
Thanks, this saves me wasting 13 more minutes of my life!

They should bring back Morland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Had a twist that involved tolling the statue of limitations on crimes, which is actually a pretty interesting notion but could have used a better episode to go with it. Not actively bad, just a boring episode. This season is really suffering for lack of an arc.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
RIP gang member Sherlock outs in front of his boss I guess.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

It really seemed like the hostage situation was completely unnecessary. And are we supposed to think that they should have taken that guy's case sooner because it turned out to be more important? Because that's a terrible message - don't prioritise because sometimes things that seem unimportant are really important.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Pick posted:

Had a twist that involved tolling the statue of limitations on crimes, which is actually a pretty interesting notion but could have used a better episode to go with it. Not actively bad, just a boring episode. This season is really suffering for lack of an arc.

The arc this season is Arrogance & it is good.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

It really seemed like the hostage situation was completely unnecessary. And are we supposed to think that they should have taken that guy's case sooner because it turned out to be more important? Because that's a terrible message - don't prioritise because sometimes things that seem unimportant are really important.

Well they didn't seem to regret it at all so apparently not. I mean, the assault ultimately wasn't that important of a crime on its own even if it did lead to the son's death, that part was incidental.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

HookShot posted:

Thanks, this saves me wasting 13 more minutes of my life!

They should bring back Morland.

This, but Moriarty.

I didn't mind this episode so much, even if it wasn't very engaging. The gang smuggling maple syrup was a neat side-story anyway.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Tiggum posted:

It really seemed like the hostage situation was completely unnecessary.

... but the whole point was that Sherlock would have to solve a case alone within a ridiculous time limit imposed on him by the hostage situation.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

InfiniteZero posted:

... but the whole point was that Sherlock would have to solve a case alone within a ridiculous time limit imposed on him by the hostage situation.

The time limit already existed because of the statute of limitations and there's any number of ways to keep Joan from directly helping. Not that that really seemed to make any significant difference anyway.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tiggum posted:

The time limit already existed because of the statute of limitations and there's any number of ways to keep Joan from directly helping. Not that that really seemed to make any significant difference anyway.

The whole point was that Sherlock had 5 years to solve that case, but decided it wasn't important. The hostage situation was to force him to give a poo poo, not to keep Joan out of it

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Azhais posted:

The whole point was that Sherlock had 5 years to solve that case, but decided it wasn't important. The hostage situation was to force him to give a poo poo, not to keep Joan out of it

Well, that just goes back to my first question - why? What's the message here? That he shouldn't prioritise cases that seem important over ones that don't?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

There is no message. It was just a case of the week.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Tiggum posted:

What's the message here?

Time limits create drama and excitement.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The message is that if you want the police/Sherlock to take your case seriously make sure to take a diner full of hostages and threaten to shoot them, that'll get their attention.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
It's also pointing out that it's kind of a lovely thing that Sherlock spends his free time trying to solve 80 year old cold cases of no actual value while people who legitimately need his help get overlooked.

Like we know that he thrives on the challenge and thrill of the exotic unsolved mystery, but the flip side is something like this.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
I think we can safely say that the Elementary writers are pretty big hockey fans. That is all.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Well that was a bland episode considering the length of the break.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The scene at the very end between Shinwell and his daughter was maybe the worst bit of acting I've ever seen on this show. Which was weird because both actors were fine in their previous scenes.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

Jorghnassen posted:

I think we can safely say that the Elementary writers are pretty big hockey fans. That is all.

They really like Canada it seems. How many of them are Canadian? With a third of a season to go, I was really hoping to see some sort of final arc to begin to appear, with Moriarty one way or another, all fingers crossed. I highly doubt it will be renewed at this point, I was really hoping they'd go out with a bang.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Same, I expect this is the last season so I'd like to see them really nail it.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

HookShot posted:

The scene at the very end between Shinwell and his daughter was maybe the worst bit of acting I've ever seen on this show. Which was weird because both actors were fine in their previous scenes.

I came here to post just that, only I'd go farther and say it was undeniably the worst acted scene in this show's history. It was like they were just reading their lines off cue cards for the first time.

Also agree with the last couple of posts, if the Shinwell arc is it for this season :barf:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Siobhan you are cold as gently caress

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I thought the day-to-day mission was a pretty good example of what Elementary does well this time around. A lot of the cases are based on news stories, this is sort of based on three contemporary issues? I thought it was well done. Tired of Shinwell though.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Shinwells's story was alright in the beginning but it had a rough ending. I did like the idea of it though.

I liked this mystery though. Despite its trappings, the central plot and motivations were pretty classic. It's always land rights!

Also...guess Arturo didn't make the final cut. Alas.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I actually really like that a lot of the motivations are extremely credible and prosaic.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

A surprisingly good episode about video games, even if the girls watching the stream were way too old to be in that guy's target demographic. Still miles better than the usual "You need to get to level 460 in the latest Car Stealing Murder Sim to unlock the secret message the hackers left in the code! But only on the X-Station U version with the virtual reality goggles!"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, nothing about it was obviously wrong re: videogames, which is kind of incredible for a procedural.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Was there an IRL reason he had to shave his head?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

GreenNight posted:

Was there an IRL reason he had to shave his head?

Trainspotting 2.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Oh right, thanks.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Pick posted:

Trainspotting 2.

He's got hair in that - and shaved his head in December and Trainspotting 2 came out in the UK in mid-January so it was filmed well beforehand.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

ookiimarukochan posted:

He's got hair in that - and shaved his head in December and Trainspotting 2 came out in the UK in mid-January so it was filmed well beforehand.

He has bleached blonde short hair in Trainspotting. I'm guessing he shaved it off after filming Trainspotting as it wasn't practical to get it back to natural?

aba
Oct 2, 2013
The latest episode was cringeworthy since the beginning when Joan started talking about non-regulated environment of e-sports, but what really got me was the Czech stuff. With me being Czech I was laughing all when actors (mainly girls) were "speaking" Czech. It was incomprehensible gibberish which sounded like Russian, really. And being seen as some backwater country is always fun 28 years after the fall of communism.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Slash posted:

He has bleached blonde short hair in Trainspotting. I'm guessing he shaved it off after filming Trainspotting as it wasn't practical to get it back to natural?

Nah, all of this season will have been filmed post-Trainspotting as him and Carlyle filmed all their bits during the summer holiday. Perhaps he's just thinning up top and this was his solution?

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
I just checked the schedule for next new episodes and apparently Kitty's coming back. Not Moriarty (yet) but I guess the next best thing. Also, sounds like an arc.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

"I'm still not a hugger Watson"

Joan was right. That must've been one hell of a letter to get Gregson to be cool with the fact that she burned that guy's face with acid :v: Then again Kitty did help out his daughter and the guy was a monster.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I liked having Kitty back. The show is at its best when there's a strong third character for Sherlock and Joan to work with.

Not sure about the kid angle, though. They already did that with Moriarty, which worked because it humanized her a lot in contrast to her super-villain role. Kitty doesn't really need that, and I'm kinda worried there might be something stupid in store like the father being Sherlock or the captain.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
I swear that that "baby" is 2 or 3 years old at least, he's loving huge.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

ookiimarukochan posted:

Camera adds 10 lbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

ookiimarukochan posted:

That's how you know the father is American.

• Locked thread