Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

zandert33 posted:

I see the difference, it just doesn't matter much to me.

This is how I feel about frame rates in most video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

MisterBibs posted:

"The truth is in the middle" isn't always wrong. Sure, there are times when it isn't, but still.

Truth is almost always between the two most extreme opinions. The problem is that there are people who think that things always need to be moderated between two positions, even if it makes no sense. For instance you may say "truth is in the middle" of the GOP and Democrats. Well, buddy, saying that the truth lies somewhere between Stalinism and Nazism would make sense, though it would be min-killingly banal, but the two American parties are already IN THE MIDDLE of the possible spectrum, so close to each other that they are nearly indistinguishable on most issues, and the recent flurry of outsiders just demonstrates it by contrasting the historical trend with an ACTUAL existence of relatively radical stances.

So saying the truth is in the middle between Democrats and GOP is infuriating because they are not extremist forces, they are the most milquetoast centrist market-tested parties, and you assholes still think they are too far leaning in either way? It's an opinion that says politics need to be diluted to a point where it becomes just a self-serving technocracy.

And if the balance shifts so one party becomes radical, and the other remains centrist as hell - they will still say the truth is in the middle, even though the middle is now somewhere else entirely.

The same can be applied to other contexts as well.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 11:14 on Feb 3, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

veni veni veni posted:

This is how I feel about frame rates in most video games.

I used to think I was unable to meaningfully tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps. Then I got a better monitor. It also matters that not all framerates are equal despite having technically the same numbers. A graphics card can output a high framerate, but still cause some stuttering by making the duration of individual frames inconsistent, thus absolutely ruining the benefit.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 11:12 on Feb 3, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I prefer a solid 60 fps in an online shooter or anything that is going to really benefit from it. But in a single player game I generally don't think about it at all unless it's noticeably dragging the experience down for me which is super rare. I can see the difference I just don't really care.

I also genuinely think some games look better at 30 FPS which most people think is blasphemy these days.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Truth is almost always between the two most extreme opinions. The problem is that there are people who think that things always need to be moderated between two positions, even if it makes no sense. For instance you may say "truth is in the middle" of the GOP and Democrats. Well, buddy, saying that the truth lies somewhere between Stalinism and Nazism would make sense, though it would be min-killingly banal, but the two American parties are already IN THE MIDDLE of the possible spectrum, so close to each other that they are nearly indistinguishable on most issues, and the recent flurry of outsiders just demonstrates it by contrasting the historical trend with an ACTUAL existence of relatively radical stances.

So saying the truth is in the middle between Democrats and GOP is infuriating because they are not extremist forces, they are the most milquetoast centrist market-tested parties, and you assholes still think they are too far leaning in either way? It's an opinion that says politics need to be diluted to a point where it becomes just a self-serving technocracy.

And if the balance shifts so one party becomes radical, and the other remains centrist as hell - they will still say the truth is in the middle, even though the middle is now somewhere else entirely.

The same can be applied to other contexts as well.

That was too long so I didn't read it but: for every truth there is any number of opposing untruths and if you position yourself anywhere between a truth and an untruth, you are rejecting truth. For example, if it is true that loving your daughter is wrong, but some people say loving your daughter is not wrong, and you are somewhere in the middle*... well, welcome to the Liberal Party but also your stance is categorically wrong.

*) For instance, "Önf önf önf önf önffönfföö MUTUAL CONSENT nönnönnöö nönnönnöö" or something to that effect.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
What is the truth between drinking a whole bottle of wine or never having any at all? Asking for a friend.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Das Boo posted:

What is the truth between drinking a whole bottle of wine or never having any at all? Asking for a friend.

It's certainly easier to never have any at all. Because wine is bad :mmmgmm:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Das Boo posted:

On the one hand, you can drink a bottle of wine. On the other, you can drink a bottle of vodka. The truth is a mixture between these natural extremes.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

steinrokkan posted:

On the one hand, you can drink a bottle of wine. On the other, you can drink a bottle of vodka. The truth is a mixture between these natural extremes.

Woah, wadin' in the shallows and you pull up with the Mariana Trench.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

steinrokkan posted:

The truth is vodka martinis? Ugh.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
It is good that logic plays little role in how we form our convictions, because pure rationality is probably the closest thing to a complete absence of ethics.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Grandmother of Five posted:

pure rationality is probably the closest thing to a complete absence of ethics.

Ethics is a branch of philosophy and therefore completely based on reason. Possibly you meant morals but more likely :yosbutt::gas:

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 12:38 on Feb 3, 2017

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
I'm not familiar with specific definitions of English words in methodology, but ideology, whether it is political, religious or strictly based in ethics, isn't based on logic, but on faith-based convictions at their cores. Of course there is reasoning, though, but it is inherently faith-based.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Grandmother of Five posted:

I'm not familiar with specific definitions of English words in methodology, but ideology, whether it is political, religious or strictly based in ethics, isn't based on logic, but on faith-based convictions at their cores. Of course there is reasoning, though, but it is inherently faith-based.

Ideology is nearly always based on logic. That doesn't mean its axioms or logical operations cannot be flawed. Fascism is the one that comes closest to discarding logical thought, but it does come to that conclusion through a logical analysis of its basic assumptions.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

Also, when eating sushi, I put the wasabi into the soy sauce and mix it into a sewer-looking substance.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Ideology is nearly always based on logic. That doesn't mean its axioms or logical operations cannot be flawed. Fascism is the one that comes closest to discarding logical thought, but it does come to that conclusion through a logical analysis of its basic assumptions.

Thanks. That's an English word I didn't know of and should perhaps have incorporated if I did; "axiom". I still do the wasabi into soy sauce thing, though :twisted:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

When I was a little kid, my brother and I were told to call farts "frog gas." I still think it holds up as a fun euphemism.

Well, bye

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

When I was a little kid, my brother and I were told to call farts "frog gas." I still think it holds up as a fun euphemism.

Well, bye

An old guy at work used the term kaunapyssy which translates to grudgebus (bus as in blunderbus not bus as in "I got hit by a"). Then again he also called milk tit sweat so I don't know.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Das Boo posted:

I think as long as you sing this while consuming the bottle, it's perfectly fine and legit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZynyHW2hfw

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

You Are A Elf posted:

I think as long as you sing this while consuming the bottle, it's perfectly fine and legit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZynyHW2hfw

We also would have accepted this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJnQoi8DSE8

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Nine times out of ten, when a recording artist who starts off playing "simple" or "direct" music then starts making "mature" or "sophisticated" music, the simple music will be better.

The Young Rascals were always better than the Rascals and the Who were better when they were doing three-minute pop songs than when they were doing rock operas.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Elfgames posted:

if i want to buy something i'll come to you, i don't want you interrupting my life to pressure me into buying poo poo that i don't want. it's the same with door to door salespeople and the reason they don't hardly exist anymore.

I think this is how most people operate for sure, but here is the rub: isnt this was advertising is? Its ok to interrupt a show or throw up a sign on a bus and you have no choice but to watch it or internalize it. But if a rep from the same company approached you, its different?

Im a commissioned sales person so obviously Im a bit biased, but it just shocks me how much peoplr hate on sales people- except the ones they buy from. Those are one of the good ones.

But outside of that, it always bugs me when people see a number thry dont recognize and hang up immediately. That coulda been someone you don't know calling because your husband is in the hospital and they are calling you. Or a debt collector cuz your id has been compromised or any number of things. At worst its a telemarketer and you lost less than 10 seconds of your time.
Cuz guess what, if you never answer 9 times out of 10 they will just keep calling.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Jastiger posted:

I think this is how most people operate for sure, but here is the rub: isnt this was advertising is? Its ok to interrupt a show or throw up a sign on a bus and you have no choice but to watch it or internalize it.

It's pretty easy not to watch or stare at ads actually

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)

Deified Data posted:

Belated EC talk from a few pages back - there aren't any liberals or Democrats wringing their hands evilly for the EC to work in their favor, then decrying it when it doesn't. Because it never does, and districts are drawn up intentionally to swing right. Republicans are the only ones who would miss the EC because they're the only ones who keep getting their garbage-tier presidents elected against popular vote in recent history.

And of course if Clinton won the EC but lost the popular I'd take it, because our president wouldn't be a literal piss pig, but I wouldn't be any less horrified and I'd still regard the EC as dubious at best. Someone said they wouldn't trust the coasts to know what's best for the Midwest, but the reverse is also true and there's a hell of a lot more people on the coasts.

The EC is a dumb baby system that does none of the things it was supposed to. Its failure is largely due to the existence of the two-party system, which the Framers utterly failed to predict (indeed that was one of the bigger fuckups in writing the Constitution). Funny that it is designed to prevent the mob from electing a demagogue: in this case, the mob voted against the demagogue, and the college elected him anyway.

My unpopular opinion: The Fall is a better show than Sherlock. Better writing, more compelling characters, a plot that actually makes sense, showcases good, solid police and detective work instead of magic powers designed to bewilder the audience.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jastiger posted:

I think this is how most people operate for sure, but here is the rub: isnt this was advertising is? Its ok to interrupt a show or throw up a sign on a bus and you have no choice but to watch it or internalize it. But if a rep from the same company approached you, its different?

Yes, it's very different.

When I see an ad, usually I'm getting something in exchange for the trouble. Like a TV show or a sports broadcast or even just the ability to use the bus. When you get called by a telemarketer and answer, all you are giving up is time and patience for nothing in return. No telemarketer is selling good stuff, because if you have good stuff, people will come to you to buy it.

Sony's never called me up to try to sell me a PS4, Best Buy doesn't call me to sell TVs, the grocery store doesn't call me to sell steaks.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

Yes, it's very different.

When I see an ad, usually I'm getting something in exchange for the trouble. Like a TV show or a sports broadcast or even just the ability to use the bus. When you get called by a telemarketer and answer, all you are giving up is time and patience for nothing in return. No telemarketer is selling good stuff, because if you have good stuff, people will come to you to buy it.

Sony's never called me up to try to sell me a PS4, Best Buy doesn't call me to sell TVs, the grocery store doesn't call me to sell steaks.

They dont because they flood your time and patience in other ways through tv and internet ads. How else would you know about a PS4 or Best Buy?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jastiger posted:

They dont because they flood your time and patience in other ways through tv and internet ads. How else would you know about a PS4 or Best Buy?

It's really easy to avoid ads. I know about PS4s because I play video games and I know about Best Buys because I have eyes and I have walked into a Best Buy.

How do you know about grocery stores? :smug:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Jastiger posted:

Im a commissioned sales person so obviously Im a bit biased, but it just shocks me how much peoplr hate on sales people- except the ones they buy from. Those are one of the good ones.

But outside of that, it always bugs me when people see a number thry dont recognize and hang up immediately. That coulda been someone you don't know calling because your husband is in the hospital and they are calling you. Or a debt collector cuz your id has been compromised or any number of things. At worst its a telemarketer and you lost less than 10 seconds of your time.
Cuz guess what, if you never answer 9 times out of 10 they will just keep calling.

As someone already mentioned, that's what voicemail is for. The only people who don't leave voicemails are the ones who already know you will not call them back, because you aren't interested in what they are selling.

I'd have no problem with salespeople if they were always honest and upfront about everything. If the more expensive model is too much for what the customer needs, they should be compelled to tell them that, not say "great choice sir!" and upsell them on top of that. I have met some who are honest, but for the vast majority since they are only paid on commission, they are motivated/encouraged to be the opposite.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Jastiger posted:

They dont because they flood your time and patience in other ways through tv and internet ads.

I don't watch TV and use an adblocker. :agesilaus: What is PC4?

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Aschlafly posted:

My unpopular opinion: The Fall is a better show than Sherlock. Better writing, more compelling characters, a plot that actually makes sense, showcases good, solid police and detective work instead of magic powers designed to bewilder the audience.

Elementary is better than Sherlock. Hell, House is better than Sherlock.

I've always been a Jeremy Brett fan anyway. Robert Downey Jr. is a better Sherlock than Benedict.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

yeah I eat rear end posted:

As someone already mentioned, that's what voicemail is for. The only people who don't leave voicemails are the ones who already know you will not call them back, because you aren't interested in what they are selling.

I'd have no problem with salespeople if they were always honest and upfront about everything. If the more expensive model is too much for what the customer needs, they should be compelled to tell them that, not say "great choice sir!" and upsell them on top of that. I have met some who are honest, but for the vast majority since they are only paid on commission, they are motivated/encouraged to be the opposite.

I agree, and that sounds to me more that you just don't like pushy bad sales people. Which is totally fair. But think about how a lot of business is done: A large portion of it is done through commissions, fees, etc. Its really only when you get to specific industries or at the lower end of the economic scale that these things happen. Real Estate, finance, insurance, auto, transportation, etc. ALL are based on a commission or incentive based program. The difference is those industries aren't always consumer facing so we don't see it and thus we don't develop negative connotations about them.

doverhog posted:

I don't watch TV and use an adblocker. :agesilaus: What is PC4?

Same I freakin hate ads that interrupt my stuff online. The difference I was talking about was just every day ads and the saturation we see for certain major brands and industries.

The company I work for spends next to nothing on advertising so the only way people hear about us is word of mouth or door knocking and we clear a billion a year. Its not like it doesn't work or that its something "no one wants", its just the only way people hear about it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jastiger posted:

The company I work for spends next to nothing on advertising so the only way people hear about us is word of mouth or door knocking and we clear a billion a year. Its not like it doesn't work or that its something "no one wants", its just the only way people hear about it.

Don't you sell insurance?

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)

bean_shadow posted:

Elementary is better than Sherlock. Hell, House is better than Sherlock.

I've always been a Jeremy Brett fan anyway. Robert Downey Jr. is a better Sherlock than Benedict.
I love Benedict but god the show is so hackneyed and overwritten. Remember seasons 1 and 2, where everything that happened didn't in some way revolve around Sherlock and exist solely for the purpose of showing us how incredibly smart he is?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Being in a capitalist society inherently means people will take advantage of you. I mean, "taking advantage" is literally the definition of capitalize. If you haven't learned to be distrustful of all advertising and salespeople, congrats on being taken advantage of for your whole life. Advertisers and salespeople outright lie ALL THE TIME, because all they want is that sale to inflate their profits a bit and I don't know why 99% of people believe everything they're told by these people. In the age of the internet, researching advertising and sales claims is ridiculously easy, especially now that smartphones are ubiquitous. I do my own research on products I'm interested in, and I'd like to think I get taken advantage of maybe just a little less because of this. Sorry if this is some alien concept of not trusting everything you're told at face value in a capitalist society.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's pretty easy not to watch or stare at ads actually

WampaLord posted:

It's really easy to avoid ads.
This just means you're taking them in without noticing.

Aschlafly posted:

My unpopular opinion: The Fall is a better show than Sherlock.
I don't even know what The Fall is, and I'm pretty sure you're right, because Sherlock is a terrible show. It's Doctor Who for people who want to pretend they're too grown up for Doctor Who (and also for people who love Doctor Who).

In my experience, almost no one ever leaves voicemail.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tiggum posted:

I've literally never listened to my voicemail and if you leave me a message and expect me to listen to it, :lol: at you. Just send an SMS you sicko.

e: This one time I found out it was the filth who had kept trying to call me and had left me hell of messages. Still, I wasn't actually the Jerry Cotton they were looking for and there's no law against not listening to voicemail :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 16:43 on Feb 3, 2017

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tiggum posted:

In my experience they don't either, because if it's someone I know I'll usually answer it, and if I don't know them I won't, and as I mentioned the telemarketers and other people I don't want to talk to never leave messages. In the rare one in a million cases when someone calls from an unknown number that does having something important for me to hear, they will leave a voicemail. It takes 10 seconds to push the voicemail button and see what they said, it's no more difficult than reading a text.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

In my experience they don't either, because if it's someone I know I'll usually answer it, and if I don't know them I won't, and as I mentioned the telemarketers and other people I don't want to talk to never leave messages. In the rare one in a million cases when someone calls from an unknown number that does having something important for me to hear, they will leave a voicemail. It takes 10 seconds to push the voicemail button and see what they said, it's no more difficult than reading a text.

Its way more a pain in the rear end for me to listen to a voicemail than it is to just pick it up and respond to the person. Seriously gotta call voicemail put in password, hit the queues, delete message.

Or I could answer my phone for 3 seconds.

WampaLord posted:

Don't you sell insurance?

I do.

bradzilla posted:

Being in a capitalist society inherently means people will take advantage of you. I mean, "taking advantage" is literally the definition of capitalize. If you haven't learned to be distrustful of all advertising and salespeople, congrats on being taken advantage of for your whole life. Advertisers and salespeople outright lie ALL THE TIME, because all they want is that sale to inflate their profits a bit and I don't know why 99% of people believe everything they're told by these people. In the age of the internet, researching advertising and sales claims is ridiculously easy, especially now that smartphones are ubiquitous. I do my own research on products I'm interested in, and I'd like to think I get taken advantage of maybe just a little less because of this. Sorry if this is some alien concept of not trusting everything you're told at face value in a capitalist society.

Absolutely, but I feel like in a capitalist society you're not really "not participating" in it, you're just more choosy on who takes advantage of you.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
If you can't wrap your head around why people don't like spoilers then you're either a total rear end in a top hat or an idiot and I hope you get herpes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Pastry of the Year posted:

When I was a little kid, my brother and I were told to call farts "frog gas."

The correct term is "crud vapors" - at least in Scotland.