Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I heart them all, but really heart Teddy and Gummi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Kwyndig posted:

Yep, oranges are almost always boys.

That said, I bet Panda's a girl anyway and Teddy is too, with the rest being handsome ginger boys.

Interesting that you see them all as orange. Grizzly is the only one that looks that way to us. They've described the three as "buff" so I think they had equal chance at being male or female.

As it happens though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e_AcJUXk7Y

Hellacopter
Feb 25, 2011

Chili posted:

Interesting that you see them all as orange. Grizzly is the only one that looks that way to us. They've described the three as "buff" so I think they had equal chance at being male or female.

As it happens though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e_AcJUXk7Y

What are the odds of that happening? :buddy: And thank you for the update, I love watching the crazy kitten playing even though it comes with the destruction of the foster room. I also love how Mamacat is exactly as described- done with them. :3:

ps i will take Teddy off your hands thnx

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Hellacopter posted:

What are the odds of that happening?

About 1 in 32, presuming cat sexes are 50/50.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Oh my goodness they're all boys :3: rowdy snuggly little bros!

Ahhh I love your kittens and soon (fingers crossed) I will have my own foster room. It's unseasonably warm so I might be taking the leap earlier than expected.

So, yeah, your threads and stories have an impact, Chili. Thank you.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

man thems some active kitties! poor mom

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I swear if I had the money I'd fly over to get Grizzly, goddamn my heart is melting.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Momcat is very pretty (and stripey!). I'm a sucker for tabbies. :3:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
One of these days we're going to adopt one of these kitties to someone from this thread.

One of these days.

Remember, open invitation to take one of these little bugs home if you can get to MD!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

They're dilute orange, kind of a creamy orange. Definitely ginger cats though.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Kwyndig posted:

They're dilute orange, kind of a creamy orange. Definitely ginger cats though.

Yeah, looking it up it seems that Tabby is quite a broad spectrum. So you all schooled me on this one. I was totally shocked to learn they were all boys. It definitely makes sense in retrospect because when we were trying to sex them ourselves it seemed almost impossible because when we compared them against each other... well.. they all looked the same lol.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Is it just me, or are the buff boys getting dark little tails? It's adorable.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I really want Gummi like right now

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

God teddy is so adorable. Too bad you're at the other end of the east coast and I already have a terrible rear end in a top hat cat that is hostile to all life human, canine and feline. Cat gives no gently caress and has even attacked a great dane/pit bull mix for daring to be in the same room as her. She won. :colbert:

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I like how Polar's having a king of the hill contest with the drop cloth and losing. :allears:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kwyndig posted:

Yep, oranges are almost always boys.

That's more with totally orange cats, it's a lot easier to get an orange-and-white girl.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 28, 2017

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

MikeJF posted:

That's more with totally orange cats, it's a lot easier to get an orange-and-white girl.

Ain't that the truth.

Really, really old picture (about 12 years ago)

Ginger in background: Male
M&M all stretched out: Female

Both of them are rescued ferals from the families of cats that lived around our house. Couldn't decide if her being tiny was because she was a runt, or sexual dimorphism. Despite the long cat-ness here she was much smaller than the other one you see.

It's a shame she never got along with our other cats and we had to give her away, she was a real sweetheart but she never settled. She had a good home with someone else being a single cat house. :unsmith:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Random question...

It seems my female cats have always had really strong personalities, while my males have mostly been chill bros with quirks.

For example, Isabelle -- formerly my cat, now my mom's because she couldn't handle a multi-cat home -- is really demanding about sticking to THE SCHEDULE. She chases you around and yells at you if you're not in bed on time. She's also prissy and very particular about demanding attention and being under the blankets.

Geki is becoming somewhat the same. She's developing these daily routines, and is very clever when it comes to making sure she gets attention when she wants it. She prefers to chirp and trill instead of meow. She's not prissy, but she is specific about how and when she wants play time (or cuddle time).

Norris, meanwhile, just wants to be a cuddly dope. He's chill. Doesn't care when we play or when we cuddle. Begs for food but won't complain if he doesn't get it right away. I can handle him however. My other past males (Hiro and Wedge and Pooh and Merriweather) have all pretty much been the same. Butterscotch appears to be similar.

Has this held true for anyone else, or do you think it's just in how they get socialized around me?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

my cat is norris posted:

or do you think it's just in how they get socialized around me?

different strokes for different folks I think, Most people think since there are 4 dogs and 3 cats here I must live a life of constant noise and cleaning up after pets, but to be honest barking only happens when there is something to bark at, normally its the kitten chasing the dogs and other than the litter boxes there isnt much work other than keeping em brushed nails clipped and making sure the young pitbull gets exercised to where she chills out and isnt a bouncy bag of hyper in the house. They all chill out more as they get older and more comfortable with the routine.

kittywise they all start out little bouncy kittens and turn into various types of cuddler. Intruder loves belly rubs like no cat i have ever had, he drags himself on the floor trying to get you to rub the belly

dooo it human.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I can't speak for all cats, but when the boys are chill, they tend to be incredibly chill in my experience. My current cats are not very chill though. Our boy very much likes to poke things, especially faces, when he wants something and our girl likes to scream at people when she wants pets or laps or pets on laps.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

my cat is norris posted:

Butterscotch appears to be similar.

Good God, no.

You all see the best side of Butterscotch, but believe me, he's a huge prissy diva. Right now he's reaching the crescendo of his 2.5 hour symphony, "Chili, Fill My Bowl". Also if he fancies a human bed he'll yell at me--not my wife mind, because she's too small-- until I lie down on the couch and he gets to assume his butterscarf formation.

We love him and he's a huge showoff and hit with guests, but he is a high maintenence horrible beast.

The flipside is that when we want to be horrible honors, and make insane cat videos with him, he's usually on board.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Chili posted:

2.5 hour symphony, "Chili, Fill My Bowl".

he'll yell at me

until

butterscarf formation

make insane cat videos with him

Can't wait to see these!

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Kitties are getting so big!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y0Wempqjww

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

I love their happy little trot :3:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

They move around like actual kittens now and not the awkward little fuzzy sausages who don't quite know how to exist yet. :kimchi:

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
So cute!

Gotta say tho, you're very brave, leaving what looks like a laptop charger/cable out unprotected in the open with so many kitty mouths around! :ohdear:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

bitprophet posted:

So cute!

Gotta say tho, you're very brave, leaving what looks like a laptop charger/cable out unprotected in the open with so many kitty mouths around! :ohdear:

We're watching them. They're only ever really interested in the velcro loop attached to it anyway.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Chili posted:

Good God, no.

You all see the best side of Butterscotch, but believe me, he's a huge prissy diva. Right now he's reaching the crescendo of his 2.5 hour symphony, "Chili, Fill My Bowl".

I've always been meaning to ask and this reminds me, do you think Butters still expects to be fed as often/as much as he did when he was with his original owner? Or is this sort of thing a cat being a cat?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

One of my cats expects there to be food in the bowl even when he's not hungry. Doesn't mean I'm going to feed him, but he still makes a fuss.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Kwyndig posted:

One of my cats expects there to be food in the bowl even when he's not hungry. Doesn't mean I'm going to feed him, but he still makes a fuss.

Once in awhile it might work!

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

MisterBibs posted:

I've always been meaning to ask and this reminds me, do you think Butters still expects to be fed as often/as much as he did when he was with his original owner? Or is this sort of thing a cat being a cat?

He only really complains about 2 hours before mealtimes. If I had to guess, he probably had a never ending supply of food out all the time. Thing is, cat's stomachs are teeny tiny, so it doesn't take a lot for them to get satisfied. Butters is just a tad over-indulgent.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
He needs butter-band surgery!

photinus
Apr 27, 2008

MikeJF posted:

There's no particular reason why that would be the case - in cats, the white-spotting gene isn't sex-linked, while the orange gene is sex-linked. White spotting is incredibly common in non-pedigree cats, so it's just vastly more likely that any given cat would have white patches than not. "Buff" is either the dilute version of orange (or the not-very-red colour you often see in non-pedigree cats), so it's still a sex-linked colour.

Basically, if there's a 20% chance that the gene on the X chromosome codes for the orange phenotype, then males have a 20% chance of being orange because they only have one X chromosome... but females would only have a 4% chance of being orange because both their X chromosomes would need to code for the orange phenotype (if they have two genes for the black phenotype, then they'd be black; if they have one black and one orange, they'd be tortoiseshell). Given those figures, only about one in six ginger cats will be female.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I love the huge kitten ears :3:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

photinus posted:

There's no particular reason why that would be the case - in cats, the white-spotting gene isn't sex-linked, while the orange gene is sex-linked. White spotting is incredibly common in non-pedigree cats, so it's just vastly more likely that any given cat would have white patches than not. "Buff" is either the dilute version of orange (or the not-very-red colour you often see in non-pedigree cats), so it's still a sex-linked colour.

Basically, if there's a 20% chance that the gene on the X chromosome codes for the orange phenotype, then males have a 20% chance of being orange because they only have one X chromosome... but females would only have a 4% chance of being orange because both their X chromosomes would need to code for the orange phenotype (if they have two genes for the black phenotype, then they'd be black; if they have one black and one orange, they'd be tortoiseshell). Given those figures, only about one in six ginger cats will be female.

I meant it's a lot easier to get an orange-and-white girl than an orange girl, not that orange-and-white is more common in girls than boys.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
First off, I think these two posts in a row encapsulate the foster thread experience in the best possible way and it made me giggle with glee:

Second, let's have some Gummi and some Grizzly:

And third, a mini montage of Butterscotch ruining our lives:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh no, BUTTERSCOTCH'S STARE IS CONTAGIOUS TO HUMANS! :stonk:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh no, BUTTERSCOTCH'S STARE IS CONTAGIOUS TO HUMANS! :stonk:

I like to think I'm making sympathy rolls with my neck.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

It's like he's claimed katdicks and is challenging you to try to touch her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Geolicious posted:

It's like he's claimed katdicks and is challenging you to try to touch her.

Bowserscotch