Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
figured it out

when you have nothing equipped in a slot, go into your e menu and then press d while hovering over a fists slot.
when you pick them up they vanish. their tile stays on the ground forever though

also it makes your remaining fists look like javelins in the lower right?

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Feb 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Those are just the bone spikes protruding from your wrists.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

now you know what class to add next

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
My first roguelike was Out of the Shadows on the zx spectrum...god I loved that game...at least I remember it as a roguelike...it may have even met the berlin parameters...then again it may not have done.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
more significantly I keep running into a bug where my character becomes unable to move, even if I save and reload.

also if I play one character, then later play again and enter the same name, sometimes I can't choose perks?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

I can also press d on this club to drop infinite powerups whenever I want(I think I dropped a weapon before this properly but now this happens instead)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
From a related but different thread:

Angry Lobster posted:

Time is up!

After many many deaths, we have a winner! As the only successful adventurer to even kill Lord Dredmor, Osci is hereby declared as the champion of this modest challenge! (Send me a pm or leave a mail for me to get in touch with you and claim your prize).

I want to thank everyone who participated in this little contest, I hope all of you had a good time being brutally murdered by diggles again!

thanks for running this! It was a lot of fun going back to Dredmor - I'm still planning to finish up my wizardy guy that I made after flaming out in the challenge, pretty sure he should be winnable.

I'm posting this here rather than there, because I thought it might be a fun idea to do a "roguelike of the month" type thing where we all attack one particular roguelike for a set period of time. We could either do it with restricted builds, or allow something a bit more flexible. curious to know if anyone else would be interested in this

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

I'm posting this here rather than there, because I thought it might be a fun idea to do a "roguelike of the month" type thing where we all attack one particular roguelike for a set period of time. We could either do it with restricted builds, or allow something a bit more flexible. curious to know if anyone else would be interested in this

Yeah, this sounds like a great idea to me. I mean, I can't promise to participate in every one, but even then they'd be fun to read about.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Thought: in addition to a monthly roguelike challenge, I'd be interested in a month with a handful of seven day roguelikes up for competition for instance.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Restricted builds is kind of boring, especially for relatively new or unknown games that haven't already been thoroughly solved. I'd love to see what would make it through the crucible if somebody put up a prize for, say, most total (or most consecutive) ascensions in X roguelike over a period of a few months.

Basically assume the best build is unknown, create an incentive to find it, then sit back and collect the data.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Restricted builds is kind of boring, especially for relatively new or unknown games that haven't already been thoroughly solved. I'd love to see what would make it through the crucible if somebody put up a prize for, say, most total (or most consecutive) ascensions in X roguelike over a period of a few months.

Basically assume the best build is unknown, create an incentive to find it, then sit back and collect the data.

That's kind of super-grindy though, in that you're incentivized to play the game to death. Really what we want here is something like the Final Fantasy V Four-Job Fiesta, which is basically just an excuse for people to play FF5 a bunch and ramble on about the weird situations they get into. Build restrictions are only needed if the game isn't interesting without 'em or if you want to do something competitive.

In other words I don't think every roguelike of the month needs to be a competition, just because the first one happened to be.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It might be fun to have an optional goal though. Something like "win Angband in as few turns as you can". Experts would shoot for the goal, newbies wouldn't bother and would just die to Boldor, king of the Yeeks, and everyone would have a good time.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
I want to put my life on hold for seven days so I can make Oryx's new sprites into a game.

http://oryxdesignlab.com/products/tiny-dungeon-tileset

ugh

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
If you're gonna do optional, just-for-fun competitions, get zany with them. Take cues from Dungeon Crawl's tourney banners and some of ToME4's sillier achievements - "beat the first major quest without killing anyone," "defeat <notoriously difficult early game boss> by pummeling him to death with one of his own severed limbs," "eat an artifact," "sustain over 500 points of damage in a single turn," etc.

That leaves room for all kinds of hellish niche challenges as well as goofy stuff that new players can try to do. IVAN would be a pretty funny candidate for a friendly achievement-hunting competition like that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Angry Diplomat posted:

"defeat <notoriously difficult early game boss> by pummeling him to death with one of his own severed limbs," "eat an artifact,"

I could probably design a character to do the former in Caves of Qud and have done the latter.

e: the first serious boss is Slog of the Cloaca, but it would be much funnier and more appropriate to do it to Jotun.

e2: okay technically I didn't eat the artifact, I injected it into my veins, but actual food artifacts probably exist too and if they don't, a taco suprema is pretty drat close.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 7, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
But can you beat a boss to death with your own face?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Beat an endgame boss by hugging him.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I honestly just want an excuse to play random roguelikes I haven't touched in a while, with other people at the same time. I know I don't need one really but...

I'm still plugging away at Dredmor. Goddamn that game is broken if you know what you're doing. I still am not 100% on how I'll handle Dredmor himself, but controlled teleport, get out of jail card HP regen, and ridiculous AOE damage is just so strong. Dredmor is a lot like TOME in that (after the first floor) the difficulty comes from random elite mobs, rather than from the other 99% of the gameplay. Magic basically means you can avoid those mobs.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

madjackmcmad posted:

I want to put my life on hold for seven days so I can make Oryx's new sprites into a game.

ugh

It would probably not surprise you to know that I want you to do this also.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Does Deadly Rooms of Death count as a roguelike? If so, that was my first, if not then it was Nethack.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

packetmantis posted:

Does Deadly Rooms of Death count as a roguelike? If so, that was my first, if not then it was Nethack.

DROD is definitely a death labyrinth, but it's all hand-built puzzles, right? You're missing that crucial "Procedural" aspect that's so important to the Goon Interpretation. :v:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
DROD for sure isn't a roguelike. I am more willing than most to let "procedural" slide if there exists enough content to make up for it (Doom wads are my #1 example of this; there exists more content than any one person could reasonably attempt even if they only play one death / map), and even to allow you to enforce your own death rules, but I think the nature of the game is just antithetical to roguelike gameplay. It's entirely a puzzle experience where there's an expectation that you will attempt solutions multiple times before finally arriving at the successful conclusion.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah, it's a hand-built puzzle game without any sort of permadeath. It's a lot of fun, but not any sort of roguelike or PDL.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That said we're not gonna talk about it here but holy poo poo it's a great game. And if you missed it - IndieGala sold it in a bundle a long time ago and they recently gave steam keys to buyers of that bundle. so go back and check for them!

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

My first roguelike was Shiren for the DS. I never beat it, and I wish there was a clean PC port of that game.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
So, anyone have any (old/new) 7DRL's they'd recommend? I don't have the spare energy to learn one of the more complicated RLs, so I've been messing around with Hellion which is a turn-based Shmup. "Think 'What if Starfox was turn-based?'". I'm also gonna mess around with Arachne which deviates from RL norms by letting you deform the spiderweb/amp as you play as a core mechanic.

Regarding Shiren coming to PC, unfortunately between the mystery dungeon upgrade to one way heroics and some polling they did, we're more likely to get an Otome game on steam. https://mobile.twitter.com/SpikeChunsoft_e/status/763711318893309954

Weedle
May 31, 2006

LordSloth posted:

So, anyone have any (old/new) 7DRL's they'd recommend? I don't have the spare energy to learn one of the more complicated RLs, so I've been messing around with Hellion which is a turn-based Shmup. "Think 'What if Starfox was turn-based?'". I'm also gonna mess around with Arachne which deviates from RL norms by letting you deform the spiderweb/amp as you play as a core mechanic.

Regarding Shiren coming to PC, unfortunately between the mystery dungeon upgrade to one way heroics and some polling they did, we're more likely to get an Otome game on steam. https://mobile.twitter.com/SpikeChunsoft_e/status/763711318893309954

That's disappointing, but I just looked up what Kenka Bancho Otome is and it actually sounds kind of awesome.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I've been playing probably too much Transcendence lately. If you ever played those old 2D spaceship trading/fighting games like Escape Velocity, it's pretty similar. The primary game loop is "find enemy stations, kill their guards, blow up the station, loot both, sell loot to friendly stations, buy fuel and upgrades for your ship." You can't switch what ship you're flying, so your ship is basically your "class" for the game, determining stuff like how many equipment slots can equip weapons, how heavy of armor you can equip, how much cargo space you have, etc. Some ships get special stuff like a swivel mount for guns made by a specific manufacturer, or extra armor plating at the cost of having weaker shields, that kind of thing. But most aspects of your ship can be upgraded -- you can buy better shields and armor, a more powerful engine, and of course better guns. The first time I played I was put off by the fact that I was "stuck" with the same ship for the entire game, but really it's not a huge deal. Instead of trading in your shuttle for a light gunship, you trade in your lovely kinetic cannon for a twin turbolaser, and your awful starting engine for a thorium drive with better turning and thrust.

There's also magic powers you can use (the gloss is that you're a pilgrim for Domina, some galactic deity, and you're traveling to the Galactic Core to live in Space Olympus) which add a decent amount of depth and/or panic buttons to the game. The basic power gives you invincibility for 20 seconds, but you can't attack during that time; more advanced ones do things like double your attack power briefly, create a shockwave that's good for killing fighter swarms, help you map nebula systems, etc. You get the more advanced powers by tithing certain items at shrines scattered through the game -- mostly stuff like prayer gems or the recorded mind-patterns of the deceased, but you can also just hand over a pile of slaves in stasis (either liberated from a Slaver station, or bought on the black market). Domina really likes getting slaves to rear as her own. :v: Powers are all cooldown-based, counting down in realtime, so there's some incentive to just sit there with time dilation turned on until your powers recover, but for the most part I don't find it to be necessary.

My biggest issues are mostly to do with lack of clarity about the combat system. Specifically, there's a "WMD" score attached to weapons, which turns out to be basically an indication of how much of each shot's damage will actually take effect against large ships and stations. WMD0 weapons are pretty much only useful for fighting fightercraft and light shuttles (and earlygame stations, which appear to be made out of tissue paper), If you try to take on a capital ship with your lancer cannon, you're looking at literal minutes of kiting it while your shots do 1 damage apiece. WMD10 works a hell of a lot better even if the weapon's numbers are worse on paper.

There's other underdocumented things, like how getting better Domina spells works, or how you get access to the Black Market, or that certain weapon upgrade items stack...but none of those will really interfere with your ability to enjoy the game. I would say however that you should probably not respect permadeath when you're first learning the game, because it is very easy to die and games take a long time to play through. Fortunately disrespecting permadeath is just a matter of reloading your save after you die; it'll plop you next to a friendly station with a full fuel tank and repaired armor/full shields.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Atoramos posted:

My first roguelike was Shiren for the DS. I never beat it, and I wish there was a clean PC port of that game.

DS emulation on the PC is at least pretty mature at this point, although the screen aspect ratio is kind of awkward. Some of the DS Shirens were also released on PSP, and I believe PSP emulation is also decent these days.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've been playing probably too much Transcendence lately.

Transcendence is one of those games I really like on paper and really wanted to like, but a combination of friendly stations only generating every 5+ systems once you get into the midgame and a lack of fast travel options completely killed it for me. It just got way too tedious schlepping back through multiple jumps every time I needed to repair or sell off loot.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

Transcendence is one of those games I really like on paper and really wanted to like, but a combination of friendly stations only generating every 5+ systems once you get into the midgame and a lack of fast travel options completely killed it for me. It just got way too tedious schlepping back through multiple jumps every time I needed to repair or sell off loot.

I've had the "no friendly stations" thing happen to one of my games, but on replays it really doesn't seem to happen often. It is pretty annoying when it does happen though, because you either spend time on backtracking, or you end up a bit behind the curve money-wise. Another thing to realize is that broken items are only purchased by stations run by the manufacturer of those items, so e.g. you have to find an Earth Industries station if you want to sell that broken EI laser you looted from an enemy fightercraft. Intact gear is a lot easier to sell, and there should be enough of it to bankroll your game. Filling up on broken gear, schlepping it to a station that will buy it, and repeating gets tedious fast.

I also recommend picking up a cargo hold expansion; asteroid miner holds are the easier to find. It uses up one of your equipment slots, but more than doubles your cargo capacity.

Oh, if you decide to play it, play the 1.7 beta instead of 1.6. There's numerous bugfixes and quality of life improvements.

There is a fast-travel system, but it's not really accessible until midgame and requires consumables to access.

zirconmusic
Nov 17, 2014

Unstoppable Trash Panda

quote:

more significantly I keep running into a bug where my character becomes unable to move, even if I save and reload.

also if I play one character, then later play again and enter the same name, sometimes I can't choose perks?

Well you sure found a lot of bugs. Thank you for playing and reporting them tho - it's really helpful. I also just hired some freelance QA people to play each build for an hour or two and give 'em a once over so we'll see what happens there.

Over the last 5 days I've primarily been working on fixing bugs as opposed to adding content (I did a little of that too) plus (hopefully) fixing a number of other janky things. I definitely fixed the equipment-dropping bug as well as the one that spawns random powerups. Chances are one or both of those was causing your character to sometimes lock up. When errors are generated under the hood often it just breaks the game engine entirely. BUT I fixed it all probably.

WIN: http://zirconstudios.com/game/Build2-7-17.rar
OSX: http://zirconstudios.com/game/Build2-7-17.app.zip

THIS BUILD is again mostly about polish, bug fixes, quality of life and removing jankiness. Besides obvious bugs it also has things like: a better tutorial system (you can leave Hints on and never see the same hint twice), removing extraneous messages from the log, making it so combat numbers don't overlap, improving mouse/keyboard sync in menus, improving UI indicators, clamping the map so you don't see lots of dead space, walking into the cave in town to enter the dungeon instead of pressing "D on a staircase etc etc. So now it's maybe a little less amateur hour and little more good.

:D

DEV LOG WITH BIG OL' CHANGE LIST

https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=57600.msg1314720#msg1314720

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Neat, I'll try playing the new build soon.
e: just tried it and it still has the bug where if I make a new character with the same name as a previous character(without closing the game between characters), I cannot choose any perks

In the meantime, anyone know how to change keybinds in Dungeonmans? I've forgotten how and lost my custom controls one way or another during a computer switch. I know you have to make a txt file somewhere but I forget where or what to name it.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 7, 2017

zirconmusic
Nov 17, 2014

Unstoppable Trash Panda
I seriously have no idea how that's possible. There is no code that even checks the display name against anything else. Wat.

Also I botched something with the resolution scaling give me like 20 minutes

EDIT: OK done. Same links. Fixed some mouse control and resolution stuff.

zirconmusic fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 8, 2017

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

zirconmusic posted:

I seriously have no idea how that's possible. There is no code that even checks the display name against anything else. Wat.

Also I botched something with the resolution scaling give me like 20 minutes
sorry in advance for this post, some of this might be related to what you just fixed. a couple of these are small UI issues rather than bugs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doexVOSCZmg

here I am unable to move onto tiles on the lower middle of the map with mouse. this seems to be true of all maps. keyboard commands can still walk onto these tiles.

some sound effects(ex: monster deaths) seem to be tied to the "footsteps" sound slider instead of sfx.

you can target boxes/enemies with ranged attacks even when LoS is blocked by walls, as long as they are within the 'range' of the weapon.

this secret area is placed so that you can see inside of it without actually breaking the rocks.

it's hard to change equipped shield with mouse because moving mouse over the other slots switches to looking at items for them. and for some reason once I switched to keyboard, trying to select the buckler put the hide shield in that slot? also I accidentally equipped my knife I had in my third weapon slot in the shield slot, which caused my third weapon slot to do that "fists which look like a javelin" thing again.

unequipping the canteen does not remove the canteen heal ability, although it does seem to stop the cooldown from resetting. so theoretically you could wear something that boosts stats in combat, still use canteen heal when you need to, and reequip the canteen when out of combat to get canteen heal off cooldown again(before putting back on a stat boosting item)... "saving" one canteen heal for later without having the slot occupied.
also the first time I tried to select my canteen and replace it with the shock ring, it instead replaced my boots with other boots? may have to do with using both keyboard and mouse.

mousing over job abilities does not show the JP price for getting them, but moving over them with arrow keys does.

I can't rotate the paladin's charge ability with t.

my inventory is all hosed up! full of "EQ Item Prefab Button" instead of a lot of the stuff I had, plus the box of mints near the top of those has a busted icon. When I mouse over some of these busted icons, I see the name/description of other items(the actual items?) on the right, but I can't use any of them with LMB or U.
At 16:42, the item in the upper left flickering is me scrolling my mouse wheel. You can also see that even the items that don't have broken items don't display properly on the right.

this video shows the character selection problem, which I am still having:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuoXkoPnvAg
I kill myself then start a new character with the same name and cannot select any perks. However, one of my perks was toughness, and I had the same HP between both characters, so maybe the second character inherits the same perks as the first?

this video shows the character lock bug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EZ_vzechPU
at 8:44 or so I fight a champion and start stairdancing in order to whittle it down. after I go up then down a few times, something breaks and I am unable to move my character, use abilities, or even select things like save and quit on the pause screen. Also my video breaks, somehow, so you just see a black screen, but on my end I could still see the game(and my mouse movement), character still doing their idle animation but not responding.

Also, at 4:48 I sell some items that I had equipped, but I still have them afterwards. Later when I realize this I go back into the sell screen, which they are no longer on despite still being on my character. I drop the cudgel and knife out of the e screen, which turns my hands into javelins again, and drops 2 cudgels but no knives on the ground. Picking them up puts 1 cudgel in my 1st weapon slot, and leaves an untouchable cudgel tile on the ground. I am able to sell the cudgel in the 1st slot(but not my handaxe for some reason?), though this still does not remove it from my 1st weapon slot. With things that are actually worth money unlike cudgels I imagine you could get infinite money?

e: also on the latest build I stayed alive with 0 HP, then died with 7? perhaps due to how poison is checked.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 8, 2017

zirconmusic
Nov 17, 2014

Unstoppable Trash Panda
Wowow this is gold feedback. Real talk email me (aaversa at gmail dot com), you are a great tester, I want to pay you for your time and help me demolish these bugs.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

zirconmusic posted:

Wowow this is gold feedback. Real talk email me (aaversa at gmail dot com), you are a great tester, I want to pay you for your time and help me demolish these bugs.

Goon testers best testers. Good chunk of how good Qud is is due to thoughtful, thorough feedback from goon playtesters.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Unormal posted:

Goon testers best testers. Good chunk of how good Qud is is due to thoughtful, thorough feedback from goon playtesters.

Where's my third nipple mutation?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

zirconmusic posted:

sent!

madjackmcmad posted:

ugh
back a bit but these are cute and I would also be interested in seeing this
Feels like you could make a very zoomed out game and show a whole lot of space at once with tiles this size.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

zirconmusic posted:

You should seriously start a Kickstarter if you're spending real money on this. I'd back it, a lot of other people will back it, and you're further along than the huge majority of video game Kickstarters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Konstantin posted:

You should seriously start a Kickstarter if you're spending real money on this. I'd back it, a lot of other people will back it, and you're further along than the huge majority of video game Kickstarters.

Kickstarters do come with obligations and schedules in exchange for all that cash. If you don't need the money, it's not unreasonable to skip it.