Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My mom used to make us call farts "foofs" and all the other little kids made fun of me for it and then they beat the poo poo out of me for not being turtley enough for the turtle club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Field Mousepad posted:

If you can't wrap your head around why people don't like spoilers then you're either a total rear end in a top hat or an idiot and I hope you get herpes.

edit:
not worth the potential ban

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 19:41 on Feb 3, 2017

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)

Tiggum posted:

I don't even know what The Fall is, and I'm pretty sure you're right, because Sherlock is a terrible show. It's Doctor Who for people who want to pretend they're too grown up for Doctor Who (and also for people who love Doctor Who).
The Fall is fantastic. Gillian Anderson plays a London detective who gets called to Belfast to oversee an ongoing murder investigation. Jamie Dornan plays a serial killer. Great cinematography and pacing (the series has that Nordic noir vibe, with a lot of slow shots designed to set a bleak mood), excellent writing, good acting (Dornan is much more compelling as a murderer than he was in Fifty Shades).

also I guess this is likely to be unpopular, too, but Doctor Who is not good. Most of 10 and 11 were bogged down by bad writing throughout, which seems to have hit a fever pitch with 12. Seems like they wanted Capaldi to be a darker, more serious Doctor, but then he ended up doing a bunch of weird slapstick bullshit for no reason. Also, snowflake companions.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Fall is good and Gillian Anderson is good and english people tell me her accents are pro.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
She's bidialectal, having spent part of her youth in London.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm pretty sure I've stated this before, but I think a toxic fanbase is a legitimate reason to not like a show. Part of the fun of media is discussing it with people, bouncing ideas around, appreciating it's artistry or tech work, pointing out things you might have missed and gaining a better appreciation for it. It sucks not to be able to talk about and share something you like. It sucks that you have to associate that media with them, that people associate them with you, and to have that constant, subconscious thought how grossly people can twist things to justify their worldviews. It also sucks when your liking it invites the wrong kind of people to never shut the hell up about it.
Animation is a hell of a rabbit hole, folks.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
That's true, if you feel the need to be social about it. I've watched bunch of stuff I liked but never felt any need to talk, at least online, about. Just watching a show without getting into anything more than that is fine too.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
See also: Always Sunny. Great show, but somehow a bunch of people got the idea that the characters are supposed to be liked and emulated instead of loathed and mocked.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Aschlafly posted:

See also: Always Sunny. Great show, but somehow a bunch of people got the idea that the characters are supposed to be liked and emulated instead of loathed and mocked.

I feel the exact opposite, same with Seinfeld. Look at the TVIV thread, it is full of people who can't stop themselves from posting their hot takes about how they're all psychopaths/sociopaths/narcissists/etc. Who cares what disorders they have? People can't seem to fathom that television/movie characters are highly exaggerated for drama/humor and need to show how woke they are by calling these fake people out on their scripted actions.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
Haven't consulted the TVIV thread, but the fandom on Facebook includes a lot of toxic bullshit.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Just like whatever you want and ignore everyone else who likes that same thing, slash, keep it to yourself if they're super bad.

It really does suck though, so I feel ya Boo.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

doverhog posted:

That's true, if you feel the need to be social about it. I've watched bunch of stuff I liked but never felt any need to talk, at least online, about. Just watching a show without getting into anything more than that is fine too.

The one I'm thinking of in particular is Invader Zim. I really liked the angular style, rich colors, cel-shading and organic machinery, and would try out different elements of the style as you do. I got people incessantly quoting GIR at me. I still really like the art design of that show, I just do not loving mention it to anyone.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Undertale isn't great despite nerds thinking it's the deepest hottest poo poo ever omg you'll cry this game's story is so good.

People told me to give this "undertale" game a try. They'd also start saying to ignore the "fandom" and don't let it ruin the game but it's so amazing, it subverts the genre, it's amazingly deep and emotional storytelling.
I don't need weird embarrassing anime fandom ruining the game, the anime poo poo is coming from inside the game. The game isn't deep or meaningful, it doesn't subvert expectations, it's a few hours of really cringey nerd culture wanking. The deep storytelling is that you can be nice or evil and get different endings based on that. I'm sure it's a cute little game if you're a huge anime nerd or what ever, but it's not actually a good enjoyable game for anyone outside of that poo poo.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
Undertale isn't for everyone (Toby himself says he made the game for people like him), but damned if it didn't get me through the last few months of my Ph.D.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I've never played Undertale or read more about it than it's huge for some nerd reasons. What is the point? I'm conflicted on this post as it feels like the natural response is "google it" but, you seem like you have stuff to say about it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It was a cute little game with some cute little characters and some very nice music. It's just its fanbase decided it was their calling, it identified them, this was the most meaningful piece of media ever created. I've seen poo poo where people posted Undertale gifs with the text, "You were there for me when my parents weren't."

I mean

:psyduck:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's like an old school japanese rpg. You are a kid and enter the world of monsters. Woah, but monsters are just like normal people, smashed your preconceptions didn't we? Guess what, if you murder them all, it's like bad because the game makes a super bold and progressive stance that murdering everyone you see maybe makes you the bad guy. You can choose to not murder people, but it pretty much uses the same mechanics as combat just instead of making an attack you talk to them or dance or what ever. Most all the monsters are animes or memes, the whole story is chock full of anime and internet nerd culture "references" and the NPC's talk and talk and talk. Everyone's some sort of unconfident nerd or outcast who finds strength in anime or some nerdy hobby.

If you're a big ol' nostalgic nerd who likes anime and played 80's and 90's japanese rpg's and love homestuck you'll probably love this game and appreciate the references and feel real good about it. If you're none of those things, you'll probably cringe and hope everyone dies the whole way through. Either way the gameplay isn't really great, it's just lots of little reflex/memory puzzles, and despite nerds gushing about the writing the plot isn't great or subversive either. I kept playing it waiting for the good "subversive" stuff to show up but then suddenly there's a cliche ending and the everything unfolded very predictably. That's not the fault of the creator though, it's the fault of every fan and blog that gushed about the amazing subversive plot and fantastic writing and characters you can't help but fall in love with and declared it game of the year. People were saying it was the best game they had ever played, they cried, it was the most meaningful experience of their life, you haven't lived or experienced literature or art until you play this game, the writing will go down in history as one of humanity's greatest works. Its just nuts how many sad brain nerds were so heavily affected by a dude's little indie retro jrpg.

Baronjutter has a new favorite as of 22:57 on Feb 3, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I couldn't make it past the first 30 minutes of Undertale because the gameplay was unbearably bad and boring. I don't think there was even any anime stuff at that point. Sad to hear it gets even worse.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Aschlafly posted:

Undertale isn't for everyone (Toby himself says he made the game for people like him)

So he's a loving tool?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Oh, I think I got what bugs me. You ever watch a documentary on a cult and get repulsed by how everyone's this fakey happy and fakey enlightened when you know in all likelihood they're probably abusing those kids? And looking down on you at the same time?
'S that.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Its just nuts how many sad brain nerds were so heavily affected by a dude's little indie retro jrpg.

It sounds like he created art that a lot of his target audience strongly identified with. Be glad you have happy brains and are a Chad. Let the nerds have their little retro thing.

That said, Undertale, as described, reminds me of Ready Player One. Fine, but also misunderstood, because of all the nerd stuff surrounding it. Now I wanna continue this, but can't, as not having played the game is a wall. Let this be a lesson, studying culture is always worthwhile.

doverhog has a new favorite as of 23:18 on Feb 3, 2017

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I don't think anyone's taking issue with people identifying with those characters, it's just that there's a really weird tendency to latch on to a creepy degree and start projecting all these incredibly weird things onto the storyline. Similar to how while Overwatch is a good game with a decently progressive, varied cast, the fanbase just seems to stick with making everyone gently caress each other and calling it there.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Undertale is a game for furries with depression. That's why those who latch onto it do so. That's about it!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Aramek posted:

Undertale is a game for furries with depression. That's why those who latch onto it do so. That's about it!

You've done it, you have finally expressed a good opinion.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I like that people were so obsessed with polygons that look like a woman's butt that they took it as a personal affront when the polygons were rearranged to not zero in on the polygon butt so much. I also like it when said polygons are canonically deemed gay, which too is a personal affront.
I'm lying, I don't like it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

poptart_fairy posted:

I don't think anyone's taking issue with people identifying with those characters, it's just that there's a really weird tendency to latch on to a creepy degree and start projecting all these incredibly weird things onto the storyline. Similar to how while Overwatch is a good game with a decently progressive, varied cast, the fanbase just seems to stick with making everyone gently caress each other and calling it there.

My friend is getting into the fuckdoll business and is buying overwatch cosplay kits so he can sell overwatch gently caress dolls to nerds :)

My controversial opinion is that this owns and is hillarious.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Das Boo posted:

I like that people were so obsessed with polygons that look like a woman's butt that they took it as a personal affront when the polygons were rearranged to not zero in on the polygon butt so much. I also like it when said polygons are canonically deemed gay, which too is a personal affront.
I'm lying, I don't like it.

Hey if you want to see some real fireworks imply that someone's only happy about her being gay because it vindicates their slash fic, rather than because it's progressive. :v:

e; Really I'm just kind of annoyed I got turned off of the game because so many goons and friends outside the forum kept posting and sharing cleavagey, "sexy" fan art all the time - ironically of course - that it got pretty loving grating. I don't care about Mercy's tits for crying out loud, just help me deal with the Tracer Meta. :saddowns:

poptart_fairy has a new favorite as of 23:53 on Feb 3, 2017

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
drat he is going to make a poo poo ton of money. The Overwatch sex doll maker just to be clear.

Field Mousepad has a new favorite as of 23:44 on Feb 3, 2017

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Das Boo posted:

The one I'm thinking of in particular is Invader Zim. I really liked the angular style, rich colors, cel-shading and organic machinery, and would try out different elements of the style as you do. I got people incessantly quoting GIR at me. I still really like the art design of that show, I just do not loving mention it to anyone.
I like Invader Zim as well for its art style and absurdist humor. But yeah you should stay far, far away from the people who idolize it.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

You've done it, you have finally expressed a good opinion.

:glomp: Lemme fix that.

- Corporate made things are better than "indie" made things, because they're more mainstream and normal, and normal is good.

- Tequila is the only hard liquor that doesn't make me gag.

- Pomegranates are 100% worth the effort to eat them.

Aramek has a new favorite as of 00:03 on Feb 4, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

poptart_fairy posted:

Hey if you want to see some real fireworks imply that someone's only happy about her being gay because it vindicates their slash fic, rather than because it's progressive. :v:

e; Really I'm just kind of annoyed I got turned off of the game because so many goons and friends outside the forum kept posting and sharing cleavagey, "sexy" fan art all the time - ironically of course - that it got pretty loving grating. I don't care about Mercy's tits for crying out loud, just help me deal with the Tracer Meta. :saddowns:

I've not actually run into any of the fan art or poo poo but everyone in the game is a weird lumpy monster drawn in like 8 bit graphics and are fairly child-like character, or explicitly children. Many are barely humanoid. Tons of them are gay or bi or ungendered (how progressive!) of course probably just to please the errotic fan fiction community.

*edit* oh you're talking about overwatch. but sadly it's same deal with undertale though, gotta make those weird child monsters ripe for people's slash fantasies.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Baronjutter posted:

I've not actually run into any of the fan art or poo poo but everyone in the game is a weird lumpy monster drawn in like 8 bit graphics and are fairly child-like character, or explicitly children. Many are barely humanoid. Tons of them are gay or bi or ungendered (how progressive!) of course probably just to please the errotic fan fiction community.

See, I don't think Blizzard are really to blame there (unlike, say, Bioware who include fuckable NPCs as a selling point) - they've just included a decently varied bunch of people in the game without any fanfare about it, something that the industry needs to do more of. The actual players base "these two characters stand next to each other" as "these two characters are loving and you are a homophobic piece of poo poo if you don't agree".

The backlash against Tracer being confirmed gay was funny as hell, but there's always been an odd level of projection in the fandom.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

poptart_fairy posted:

See, I don't think Blizzard are really to blame there (unlike, say, Bioware who include fuckable NPCs as a selling point) - they've just included a decently varied bunch of people in the game without any fanfare about it, something that the industry needs to do more of. The actual players base "these two characters stand next to each other" as "these two characters are loving and you are a homophobic piece of poo poo if you don't agree".

The backlash against Tracer being confirmed gay was funny as hell, but there's always been an odd level of projection in the fandom.

Nah, I getcha on this point. It's real loving irritating when people are only for your sexuality if they can wank to it and the concept of a platonic relationship is nonexistent because everyone must be loving. I'm always a little bit bugged by the notion that it's okay to have a lesbian couple in media as long as they're hot. (AND THEN THEY KISS AS I WATCH!) It's not as often you see a gay male couple or, heaven forbid, an older/less attractive lesbian couple. Or, you know, that these characters are people beyond who they gently caress.

I don't know, this seems to be primarily a problem with American projects. I've watched plenty of foreign shows where I find myself thinking, "Oh, wow. The gay couple are characters."

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Watching blizzard fanboys meltdown in real time because their video game waifu was revealed to be gay was magical.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Das Boo posted:

Nah, I getcha on this point. It's real loving irritating when people are only for your sexuality if they can wank to it and the concept of a platonic relationship is nonexistent because everyone must be loving. I'm always a little bit bugged by the notion that it's okay to have a lesbian couple in media as long as they're hot. (AND THEN THEY KISS AS I WATCH!) It's not as often you see a gay male couple or, heaven forbid, an older/less attractive lesbian couple. Or, you know, that these characters are people beyond who they gently caress.

I don't know, this seems to be primarily a problem with American projects. I've watched plenty of foreign shows where I find myself thinking, "Oh, wow. The gay couple are characters."

Yeah, a lot of games are going through this weird quasi-progressive-but-kinda-fetishy thing where they include a lot of conventionally attractive lesbian couples (and quite a few seem to be of the barely legal sort...), considering that enough to be going on with. I'm starting to project my own poo poo into the topic though so will call it there. :v:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What an amazingly stupid rear end thing to care about in any capacity.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What is it about overwatch and TF2 that attracts such obsessive weeb weirdos? They seem like pretty normal games I don't get why they draw in crazy people like flies on poo poo.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
When diversity amounts to a couple of low effort archetypes I don't think it's unreasonable to be a little disgruntled. :shrug:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
roadhog shoulda been the gay one imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I am always pissed about feminist issues. It's my albatross.