Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I've been glued to my screen trying out my first EU4 run as Portugal (for starters), and I've been wondering: I have a soft spot for those tribal cultures in the Kongo and the Amazon, and I was wondering how I could get them to:
1. Embrace fedualism/the renaissance/etc,
2. Convert to a religion that doesn't involve human sacrifice
3. Let them grow into bigger, stronger Inca-like civilizations that can serve as an effective cultural bulwark against rival colonies?
4. Because imagining technologically-western Amazons, Incans, Congolese, etc fighting off European colonists feels so godamn amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Grouchio posted:

I've been glued to my screen trying out my first EU4 run as Portugal (for starters), and I've been wondering: I have a soft spot for those tribal cultures in the Kongo and the Amazon, and I was wondering how I could get them to:
3. Let them grow into bigger, stronger Inca-like civilizations that can serve as an effective cultural bulwark against rival colonies?
4. Because imagining technologically-western Amazons, Incans, Congolese, etc fighting off European colonists feels so godamn amazing.

Easiest way would probably be to annex them totally, convert all their provinces to your religion, wait for the provinces to adopt your institutions, then release them.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Grouchio posted:

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Easiest way would probably be to annex them totally, convert all their provinces to your religion, wait for the provinces to adopt your institutions, then release them.
These two posts are like the history of colonialism in miniature. :v:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Doesn't Kongo have a decision to turn to Catholicism really quickly on contact with a Catholic nation? Get them to convert, get them as a puppet and use them to annex Africa.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
cKnoor: "Why would jake be doing this?"
Johan: "Because he's an rear end in a top hat."

:drat:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

algebra testes posted:

cKnoor: "Why would jake be doing this?"
Johan: "Because he's an rear end in a top hat."

:drat:

Time stamp Link?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
So this isn't directly Paradox related but I figure if anyone knows it would be this thread: Are there any other socioeconomic sim-type games out there like Victoria 2? Where trade and resources are a big deal and not super-abstracted like in Civ games.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

So this isn't directly Paradox related but I figure if anyone knows it would be this thread: Are there any other socioeconomic sim-type games out there like Victoria 2? Where trade and resources are a big deal and not super-abstracted like in Civ games.

The Viceroy is about economic development IN SPACE!

I havent played it in a long rear end time, but its main problems were showing changes over time and some UI tedium that got fixed in patches apparently. No clue how it is now, but its like 20 bux so you can probably get it for 105during a spring sale if you can wait.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The Imperialism games are nowhere near Victoria in terms of economic simulation but trade and resources (and exploiting resources) are at the very heart of the gameplay. A shame that the AI is bad and they show their age in a lot of ways because they had some great ideas.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
All of the above is to say: paradox we want Vicky 3.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Here is a kickstarter for a board game that may be of interest to Paradox fans. It seems a little ambitious, but it might be neat! (It *is* expensive though)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/166119889/medioevo-universalis/description

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
I wouldn't preorder a board game that is marketed with a giant pile of plastic crap and that's designed by someone without any published games, but YMMV.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Here is a kickstarter for a board game that may be of interest to Paradox fans. It seems a little ambitious, but it might be neat! (It *is* expensive though)

I don't play board games often enough to justify even the kickstarter price tag.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Obfuscation posted:

I wouldn't preorder a board game that is marketed with a giant pile of plastic crap and that's designed by someone without any published games, but YMMV.

By "ambitious" I meant likely to have significant problems in the production.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Is this the one that used Crusader Kings 2 music in a demo video? Because lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I don't know about y'all, but I play computer games precisely so I don't have to deal with "1600+ pieces, 1000 miniatures." I worry enough about losing save files, think about a cat knocking over your war against Burgundy

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't know about y'all, but I play computer games precisely so I don't have to deal with "1600+ pieces, 1000 miniatures." I worry enough about losing save files, think about a cat knocking over your war against Burgundy

I used to have in-progress games of Axis and Allies 1940 with both boards standing for weeks at my old place (a single turn can take hours when you're using both boards). My cat would walk over the board all the time and never knocked down a single piece.

What I'm saying is that cats are very respectful of boardgames.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Wiz posted:

I used to have in-progress games of Axis and Allies 1940 with both boards standing for weeks at my old place (a single turn can take hours when you're using both boards). My cat would walk over the board all the time and never knocked down a single piece.

This is when you realize you should be playing the lottery, because the idea of a cat not messing up a board game for weeks is literally impossible.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wiz posted:

I'm not sure what animal you have in your house, but it is definitely not a cat, because this is a cat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4anpxoHkPI

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Skwirl posted:

I'm not sure what animal you have in your house, but it is definitely not a cat, because this is a cat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4anpxoHkPI

Had, he died a couple years ago. He was a very good catte though.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Skwirl posted:

Hates stupid little candles in glasses, good cat.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Wiz posted:

You ever play twilight imperium?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

IncredibleIgloo posted:

A game that goes up to 9 players, game end/victory threshold is determined by fiat (e.g. "let's decide on ten turns/3 hours" or "30 vp"), combat decided by a d6 die roll and totalling up modifiers, and massive nickel + diming/bloated addons. Good stuff.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

You ever play twilight imperium?

That is the best game. One of my favorites.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Why not just take a picture of the board to help protect against cat apocalypses and people rage quitting by flipping the table?

Of course that doesn't really help with the 1+ hour setup that results in everyone getting bored before the game has even begun. Or the week of not talking to each other after a bullshit dice roll.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
:lol: if you think im playing non-electronic board games

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Farecoal posted:

:lol: if you think im playing non-electronic board games

:lol: if you think anyone who paid for that kickstarter is either.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

ZombieLenin posted:

All of the above is to say: paradox we want Vicky 3.

I too would give large sums of money to play an geopolitical socio-economic simulator.

pls paradox

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Time stamp Link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNud11nFwjY&t=1265s

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thank you!

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

New Kaiserreich progress report; this one's about Sweden, Bolivia and Colombia.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

ThaumPenguin posted:

New Kaiserreich progress report; this one's about Sweden, Bolivia and Colombia.

everything about this sounds so good. i really need to try KR, sooner rather than later!

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I know there are some masters of Paradox modding here, would any of y'all have an idea why this event just won't fire? It works through console, which recognizes the trigger, and the localisation is set up right, but it just Will Not Happen.

code:
add_namespace = sunset

# The Raj Defeated
news_event = {
	id = sunset.1
	title = sunset.1.t
	desc = sunset.1.d

fire_only_once = yes
	major = yes

trigger = {
		RAJ = {
				has_capitulated = yes
				is_subject_of = ENG
				}
			}

mean_time_to_happen = {
		days = 2
		}

option = {
		name = sunset.1.a
		add_national_unity = -0.4
		trigger = {
			TAG = ENG
			}
		}
	option = {
		name = sunset.1.b
		trigger = {
			has_war_together_with = ENG
			}
		}
	option = {
		name = sunset.1.c
		trigger = {
			has_war_with = ENG
			}
		}

}

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Fuligin posted:

I know there are some masters of Paradox modding here, would any of y'all have an idea why this event just won't fire? It works through console, which recognizes the trigger, and the localisation is set up right, but it just Will Not Happen.

You might need an option for everyone else for it to fire. Also ENG might get both option 1 and 2

Try this

code:
	option = {
		name = sunset.1.a
		add_national_unity = -0.4
		trigger = {
			TAG = ENG
		}
	}
	option = {
		name = sunset.1.b
		trigger = {
			NOT = {
				TAG = ENG
			}
		}
	}
	option = {
		name = sunset.1.c
		trigger = {
			has_war_with = ENG
		}
	}
	option = {
		name = sunset.1.d
		trigger = {
			NOT = {
				TAG = ENG
				has_war_with = ENG
			}
		}
	}

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Also why are you using a newsevent to actually do a thing?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Enjoy posted:

You might need an option for everyone else for it to fire. Also ENG might get both option 1 and 2

Try this

I actually had that exact 4th option but took it out because I thought at first it was the cause of the problem. I'll look into whether or not b would be an issue for ENG though, thanks.

ArchangeI posted:

Also why are you using a newsevent to actually do a thing?

I wanted it to fire for everyone, which I think is only possible through a news event? For the sake of ~elegance~ I didn't want to create one news event that fired for everyone else and then a country event just for ENG, but maybe that's the problem and I just have to bite the bullet.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Fuligin posted:

I actually had that exact 4th option but took it out because I thought at first it was the cause of the problem. I'll look into whether or not b would be an issue for ENG though, thanks.

I wanted it to fire for everyone, which I think is only possible through a news event? For the sake of ~elegance~ I didn't want to create one news event that fired for everyone else and then a country event just for ENG, but maybe that's the problem and I just have to bite the bullet.

That's not elegant and tries to fit a square peg into a round hole. You make an event for England and fire the news event from that. Besides, everyone already gets a capitulation news event for the RAJ, so I dunno why they need to be told that the Raj has capitulated, again.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
In CK2 where did the message options for when you capture a prisoner go? I want there to be a big pop up when i capture someone like last time i played, but i can only find message options for actions taken against prisoners (like released, banished, etc, etc).

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Dongattack posted:

In CK2 where did the message options for when you capture a prisoner go? I want there to be a big pop up when i capture someone like last time i played, but i can only find message options for actions taken against prisoners (like released, banished, etc, etc).

It has a really odd name, but they're connected to all the other siege events. So next time bandits raid a siege camp, or defenders fail to sally forth, right click on the notification in the top right. But yeah, you'll end up with all that poo poo also popping up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

ArchangeI posted:

That's not elegant and tries to fit a square peg into a round hole. You make an event for England and fire the news event from that. Besides, everyone already gets a capitulation news event for the RAJ, so I dunno why they need to be told that the Raj has capitulated, again.

The default capitulation event is pretty dry, so I'm just trying to zest things up, a la the fluff events for losing capitals. The mod as a whole is meant to punish England for losing its colonial possessions, particularly the Middle East. Thanks for the advice though, that's a saner way to structure things.