Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

What is it about overwatch and TF2 that attracts such obsessive weeb weirdos? They seem like pretty normal games I don't get why they draw in crazy people like flies on poo poo.

Only sick people play on-line multi-player games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So, like half of men under 40? ok.

Team Fortress and Overwatch attract a special breed of obsession that I do not see with other online games.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You should try a few MMOs, especially those with a strong roleplaying population. People get obsessed fast, and the line between character and player is uncomfortably thin a lot of the time.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Reminder that video games are bad. All of them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have no interest in ever trying an mmo in my lifetime but I'll take your word for it.

Blue Star posted:

If Blue Star thinks video games are bad, is that definitive proof that they are actually...good?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

poptart_fairy posted:

When diversity amounts to a couple of low effort archetypes I don't think it's unreasonable to be a little disgruntled. :shrug:

Being frustrated that a character you like isn't as fleshed out as you would like is understandable. People lost their poo poo and went full nuclear.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I think we're speaking across each other here. I assumed V3 was responding to me and Das Boo talking about the relatively limited selection of progressive characters in fiction, rather than the comments about Overwatch.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

I think we're speaking across each other here. I assumed V3 was responding to me and Das Boo talking about the relatively limited selection of progressive characters in fiction, rather than the comments about Overwatch.

Characters are not important per se, except to children.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Blue Star posted:

So what? You yourself said that nothing is good. If nothing is good, then it doesn't matter what's good and what isn't. Watch what you want, play what you want, read what you want.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Jerry Cotton posted:

Eh, having a wide variety of characters representing different blocks of life is a key part of normalizing that stuff in a wider society. I will admit that's a very dramatic way to phrase it. :v:

Field Mousepad posted:

I misunderstood you my bad!

:hfive:

poptart_fairy has a new favorite as of 01:25 on Feb 4, 2017

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

poptart_fairy posted:

I misunderstood you my bad!

:lolplant:

What the gently caress? There are some weird rear end emotes here.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Blue Star must now name some things that are good, or forever be ignored.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was responding to how much overly serious conversation Overwatch spawns. A game that is just a bunch of goofy characters running around shooting each other. And I wasn't trying to accuse anyone in this thread in particular. More of a general sentiment.

I just get really put off when people talk about stupid game bullshit like it's some real life issue that matters. I should point out that a lot of normals play Overwatch too (I don't enjoy it myself but it seems fine enough)It's insanely popular I know. But there seems to be a lot of really weird people that really into that game.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

fruit on the bottom posted:

So what? You yourself said that nothing is good. If nothing is good, then it doesn't matter what's good and what isn't. Watch what you want, play what you want, read what you want.

You should partake in nothing. Imbibe nothing. Patronize nothing. Ideally you should sit silently in a pitch black room at all times, quietly waiting for death.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Blue Star posted:

you should sit silently in a pitch black room at all times, quietly waiting for death.

*Turns off the lights* Check.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

doverhog posted:

Blue Star must now name some things that are good, or forever be ignored.

I've listed things that are good. Ripping wicked farts is good. Picking your nose and getting a really satisfying booger that's been clogging your upper nostril is good. Taking massive dumps is good. Scratching oneself is good. These are all okay to do in a pitch black room, in silence (except for the farts, those can make noise) while you wait to die.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So basically just poo poo posting and bodily functions 24/7? You actually might be on to something.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I hereby declare Blue Star dead, and will put him in the ignore list. He will join effectronica in bad company.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Just use the ignore function without proclaiming it, dummy.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

gently caress you, dummy, it was all a part of a posting bit

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Jerry Cotton posted:

I kinda like analyzing poo poo that is a creative process start to finish. It tells you a lot about societal norms in both its content and the reaction it invokes. Particularly things that are entirely fictional as opposed to something that needs to fit with historically established facts.
Like take a hard look at the bulk of sci-fi, what it focuses on, what it celebrates and what it condones. Tells you a lot about the mindset of its creator and its audience.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Blue Star posted:

You should partake in nothing. Imbibe nothing. Patronize nothing. Ideally you should sit silently in a pitch black room at all times, quietly waiting for death.

This sounds boring. I will not do that.

Ultimately I will end up dead regardless. The only thing I can alter is whether or not I enjoyed myself in the interim.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Das Boo posted:

look at sci-fi

Haha no.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Science-fiction is inherently reactionary. So is fantasy fiction. Both genres are silly make-believe that encourage people (especially children) to accept regressive attitudes (Objectivism, libertarianism, imperialism, monarchy, racism, magical thinking, etc.). It's also just plain unhealthy to imbibe in fiction that evokes fantastical "neverlands" that can never be real, or wondrous futures that will never come, distracting people from reality. No, not even "for fun" is this stuff any good.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Blue Star posted:

Picking your nose and getting a really satisfying booger that's been clogging your upper nostril is good.
Does anyone have a good name for those boogers that, when you finally pull them out, feel like you've unwound six yards of viscera from around the back of your optic nerve? I don't have anything as good as "frog gas" for that concept, but it's a pretty intense universal human experience.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

Does anyone have a good name for those boogers that, when you finally pull them out, feel like you've unwound six yards of viscera from around the back of your optic nerve? I don't have anything as good as "frog gas" for that concept, but it's a pretty intense universal human experience.

Blood clot.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)

Blue Star posted:

Science-fiction is inherently reactionary. So is fantasy fiction. Both genres are silly make-believe that encourage people (especially children) to accept regressive attitudes (Objectivism, libertarianism, imperialism, monarchy, racism, magical thinking, etc.). It's also just plain unhealthy to imbibe in fiction that evokes fantastical "neverlands" that can never be real, or wondrous futures that will never come, distracting people from reality. No, not even "for fun" is this stuff any good.

Sci fi societies take all sorts of forms, so what exactly do you mean by regressive? "Regressive" does not mean "different from contemporary Western society".

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I was really hoping for something more fun and Finnish, like "the handwriting instructor's garterbelt".

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

From now on we can call them Blue Star Caviar.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aramek posted:

- Pomegranates are 100% worth the effort to eat them.
Outside, yes. If you're sitting outside and can just spit the seeds into the garden, great. If you're inside and have to actually deal with them, not worth it.

Das Boo posted:

I'm always a little bit bugged by the notion that it's okay to have a lesbian couple in media as long as they're hot. (AND THEN THEY KISS AS I WATCH!) It's not as often you see a gay male couple or, heaven forbid, an older/less attractive lesbian couple. Or, you know, that these characters are people beyond who they gently caress.
And if you do see a gay male couple they're old and exist only for the purpose of going "look at all the hate and bigotry they had to endure, good thing society's so much better now!"

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Das Boo posted:

Nah, I getcha on this point. It's real loving irritating when people are only for your sexuality if they can wank to it and the concept of a platonic relationship is nonexistent because everyone must be loving. I'm always a little bit bugged by the notion that it's okay to have a lesbian couple in media as long as they're hot. (AND THEN THEY KISS AS I WATCH!) It's not as often you see a gay male couple or, heaven forbid, an older/less attractive lesbian couple. Or, you know, that these characters are people beyond who they gently caress.

yeah i've had similar feelings of disappointment when i look back at some of the franchises i've liked and i see that they used to include all kinds of people - ugly, old, weird, etc - but now they're focused exclusively on using attractive 20-somethings for their depictions because that's what sells

poptart_fairy posted:

See, I don't think Blizzard are really to blame there (unlike, say, Bioware who include fuckable NPCs as a selling point) - they've just included a decently varied bunch of people in the game without any fanfare about it, something that the industry needs to do more of.

I would argue bioware ultimately does the same when they try to include a decently varied bunch of people their games as well, they just have the added wrinkle of choosing to be inclusive when it comes to the romances they (shamefully) put in

Aschlafly posted:

Sci fi societies take all sorts of forms, so what exactly do you mean by regressive? "Regressive" does not mean "different from contemporary Western society".

blue star is inherently reactionary is what that post means

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Tiggum posted:

Outside, yes. If you're sitting outside and can just spit the seeds into the garden, great. If you're inside and have to actually deal with them, not worth it.

...the seeds are the part of the pomegranate that you eat.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

...the seeds are the part of the pomegranate that you eat.

Well, you can eat them, but the bit that's actually good to eat is the pulp.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Yeah, I just crunch the seeds up rather than bothering to spit them out. It doesn't change the taste drastically enough.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Tiggum posted:

Well, you can eat them, but the bit that's actually good to eat is the pulp.

:crossarms: like the white, waxy pulp that holds the seeds in?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
The gem-like nuggets are each a bit of pulp with a seed inside.

The white bit is the husk or skin

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

starkebn posted:

The gem-like nuggets are each a bit of pulp with a seed inside.

The white bit is the husk or skin

Ah, okay. I'm used to just thinking of the red bit as part of the seed (like in the way that a sunflower seed has the outer shell).

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

starkebn posted:

Yeah, I just crunch the seeds up rather than bothering to spit them out. It doesn't change the taste drastically enough.

Man, you must have a shitload of pomegranates and watermelons growing in your belly.

#grandmawarnings #grandmaquotes

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

There's your problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
It's ok to admit that you don't get something. Sometimes the Person you're talking to is more knowledgeable and better versed in the topic than you. If a certain person is familiar with the history of film and different film eras and directors, chances are they probably understand film better than a person who only watches comic book movies. It doesn't mean you are stupid it just means you have to be willing to listen and learn a little bit rather than getting defensive and declaring you understand something perfectly fine.

The_Rob has a new favorite as of 22:11 on Feb 4, 2017