Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Kekekela posted:

Hey rear end in a top hat, before you go moving the goalposts, your original smug rear end assertion was regarding street-fighting.

No, I was referring to why some people find it hokey. Please keep up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Wangsbig posted:

i'm not sure what your starting point was but your posting makes me want to immediately dismiss any notion of mental improvement

:wotwot:

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
dear diary, this week i learned how to unfuck my diet so i don't have to leave the mat to go throw up

i feel a lot better and got to roll some more, it was fun

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Do you no longer have to leave the mat or do you no longer have to throw up? :v:

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Siivola posted:

Do you no longer have to leave the mat or do you no longer have to throw up? :v:

the latter thankfully

amazing what happens when you actually eat throughout the day and drink water instead of 2.5 meals and maybe an energy drink if im thirsty

The Darlok
May 25, 2006

I am watching you.

Kekekela posted:

Got too busy with works to do mornings much to my great sorrow. I'll be up there tonight though :hfive:

drat I think I'm gonna be at West tonight to get punched a lot. I'd skip it to go to PH but I might be fighting soon so it's sorta important that I get in shape...

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

bowmore posted:

in all seriousness thanks for the replies

Hey dude - this thread more or less descends into slapfights anytime something other than brazilian jiu-jitsu is mentioned (though bjj is extremely cool). But there are actually a lot of people here who know a lot. I did Wing Chun for about 4 years as a teenager (since then boxing and bjj). Personally I would not do Wing Chun again and kind of wish to hell I'd spent that time on judo or something and had a super solid base of grappling and movement - but that is entirely down to what I personally want.

You'd get useful answers if you went a bit into what you're looking for. Are you interested in self defence? A sport that involves fighting? A general workout? Something that looks cool? Balance and flexibility, or the mental side of things? Tried any martial arts before? Sports in general?

You can get good advice here but "should I do aikido" is not really an answerable question. Should I play baseball?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
No, and no

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

ICHIBAHN posted:

No, and no

I mean correct, but still

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Although I am a BJJ practitioner I don't particularly care if someone wants to learn another martial art. But I would strongly suggest that whatever your motivation for taking a martial art or combat sport is you take one that has the added benefit of being practical as a self defense application (boxing, wrestling, muay Thai, judo, jiu jitsu, sambo, etc). Although, if your main goal is to resemble Steven Seagal, by all means take Aikido.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

JaySB posted:

Although I am a BJJ practitioner I don't particularly care if someone wants to learn another martial art. But I would strongly suggest that whatever your motivation for taking a martial art or combat sport is you take one that has the added benefit of being practical as a self defense application (boxing, wrestling, muay Thai, judo, jiu jitsu, sambo, etc). Although, if your main goal is to resemble Steven Seagal, by all means take Aikido.

I think the only people who would argue against this are the people who think Akido works in a self defence situation against someone who is legit trying to punch them.

Those people are really loving dumb.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Hey I got all my dentistry finished which means I can go back to wearing a stupid custom mouthguard

I'm thinking of having it just say "MOUTH".
or maybe "TEETH".
"MEMES"

suggestions welcome

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Which is why it comes back to my original decision tree:

1) Is it fun?
2) Is it a scam or a cult?
3) Are the people cool enough to hang with for 2-4h/week?
4) Do you feel as if you're getting your money's worth?

If you answer yes no yes yes, then go.

If you continue with either of them, please keep posting and take any sardonic shitposts with a grain of salt. Aikido guys tend to be very defensive. thin-skinned, and short-lived in this thread, which encourages further sardonic shitposts (obviously). It's actually borderline meme status by this point.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Hey I got all my dentistry finished which means I can go back to wearing a stupid custom mouthguard

or maybe "TEETH".
"MEMES"

suggestions welcome

[blink]"FREE FATHERDOG"[/blink]

quotation marks and bbcode sic

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

"RUDE DOG"

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

or maybe "TEETH".
"MEMES"

suggestions welcome

get one with busted out teeth :haw:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

or maybe "TEETH".
"MEMES"

suggestions welcome

I think "MOUTH" is pretty good but

Is "JesusDidntTap" too long or something?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
It should obviously be BREATHE: http://imgur.com/a/FTytK

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

JaySB posted:

I fenced for a long time. Maybe one day someone will try to duel me for my wallet.

I'll probably still just give him my wallet.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

quidditch it and quit it posted:

If you go to learn what, for the sake of this analogy, is a fighting art, and it wouldn't help you at all in a fight, and would in fact probably get you beaten up if you tried it, then you have accidentally learned dancing. Dancing is cool, and will get you fit whilst having fun, but there are better dance styles than Aikido.

You got something against dance fighting?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWyoS8fppB0

smilehigh
Nov 2, 2010

RUUUUUNNNNNNNN
I must've got really lucky with my win chun place then because they also do bjj and we spar every Friday. We get yelled at if we fake punch/kick when learning new moves because you can't actually learn anything that way.
Also we had a knife class and the instructor literally said your first choice should be running away.

So I'm not really understanding the hate... but apparently this is not normal for win chun?

Also can someone tell me how to handle a situation where a guy is being weird about rolling with me - a girl? I stopped going for a while cause except for two guys they were all being super weird (I was the only girl, but I am fat and not hot in any way so it's not that). Like is there some specific thing I can say to make them snap out of it?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
There are always diamonds in the rough. I trained "tkd" at a place that happily taught me how to leg kick and throw a stiff jab alongside typical tkd touch sparring stuff without talking about it as any different.

One BB was always like: " yeah it's good to go for the head tap kicks in sparring but if it's like a real life scenario you should probably just hammer them in the thigh and then run off"

I think it was more prevalent pre UFC and Internet, I think now there is a more obvious divide.

Re being a girl: idk people can be weird about it because they are creeps or they can be weird because they don't want to be weird about it. It's hard to really say what to do without being there. Can you share some of the moments?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I used to shy away from sparring with some girls because they would want to go really hard

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

smilehigh posted:

I must've got really lucky with my win chun place then because they also do bjj and we spar every Friday. We get yelled at if we fake punch/kick when learning new moves because you can't actually learn anything that way.

So I'm not really understanding the hate... but apparently this is not normal for win chun?
A lot of Chinese kung fu as it's taught in the US, including Wing Chun, is extremely form based. Like the instruction will be around perfecting your form, and not using it in any sparring contexts.
If you have any videos representative of your school's training style, feel free to link it for earnest (as well as mean-spirited) dissection.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

smilehigh posted:

Nope, out of the few schools I've traveled to that have a Wing Chun program, the program usually falls between a 2 and a 3.5 on the Aliveness scale(aliveness scale at bottom). Some schools I've been to that have Wing Chun will also have a FMA program(which will have an aliveness between 2 and 5), a Muay Thai Program(3-4), and a BJJ program(7.5-8), but the wing chun itself isn't very alive. I'd be interested to know where you think your school falls in the aliveness scale.

quote:

Also can someone tell me how to handle a situation where a guy is being weird about rolling with me - a girl? I stopped going for a while cause except for two guys they were all being super weird (I was the only girl, but I am fat and not hot in any way so it's not that). Like is there some specific thing I can say to make them snap out of it?

Weird how? like "I don't wanna crush you cause you tiny weird?", "I don't wanna accidentally touch you because you're a girl weird?" or being creepy weird?

Bullshido posted:

Aliveness:

1: No sparring/contact, performance demonstration/forms only.
2-3: Compliant partner drills, board breaking, point sparring
4-5: Light contact continuous sparring (negligible pain/risk).
6-7: Medium contact with excessive safety gear.
8-9: Hard contact with reasonable safety gear and/or limited to one range of fighting (standup/grappling).
10: Regular (monthly or less) skill testing via full contact, full range fighting, minimum safety equipment.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 4, 2017

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Hoover Dam posted:

You got something against dance fighting?

You wanna loving tango, m8?

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

KildarX posted:

Weird how? like "I don't wanna crush you cause you tiny weird?", "I don't wanna accidentally touch you because you're a girl weird?" or being creepy weird?

First time I ever trained BJJ with a girl, it was weird. I didn't wanna accidentally offend her by touching her tits, or smash her. She had been doing it for a while, and told me "it's just wrestling, dude, go for it", and she was right.

So hey, weirded-out dude: it's not a gender-based thing. You are going to accidentally grab breasts and have to pull your arm out of a full-crotch armbar, the same way you're gonna have to put your balls on a guy's face if you want your N/S kimura to work. You'll get over the contact aspects of it.

Edit: you're a lady! Bad reading comprehension on my end, it's late over here. My post at least hopefully explains why new guys are weird. They will get less weird, as they become more familiar with grappling. We've got a new dude who gets upset at having to close Guard around a man because "it's a bit gay".

We have such sights to show him...

quidditch it and quit it fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 4, 2017

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The levels described here are reasonable but the amount of safety gear seems targeted at calling out BS schools.
There's nothing wrong with having proper or even excess safety equipment as long as the sparring is done properly.
Especially for beginners, I don't think it makes sense to ask them to gauge the gear.

8-9: Hard contact with reasonable safety gear and/or limited to one range of fighting (standup/grappling).
10: Regular (monthly or less) skill testing via full contact, full range fighting, minimum safety equipment.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

The levels described here are reasonable but the amount of safety gear seems targeted at calling out BS schools.
There's nothing wrong with having proper or even excess safety equipment as long as the sparring is done properly.
Especially for beginners, I don't think it makes sense to ask them to gauge the gear.

But again, doesn't that depend entirely on what your purpose of practicing your chosen MA is?.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

But again, doesn't that depend entirely on what your purpose of practicing your chosen MA is?.

Not sure what you're referring to by "that." Having beginners assess degree of equipment used to level of sparring?

My contention is that rating safety gear along a minimum-excessive spectrum doesn't make sense. Like there's a minimum mouthguard you could use for hard sparring?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

I think medium contact is doing 40/
50% . I think the excessive saftey gear is about : If youre wearing more than say , gloves, shins, a mouth piece, headgear and cup it'd be a bit excessive. So foot pads, chest/stomach guard and face cage would be pretty excessive for medium contact. I would say that at 50℅ shins might be a bit much if your partners controlled.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 4, 2017

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

KildarX posted:

If youre wearing more than say , gloves, shins, a mouth piece, headgear and cup it'd be a bit excessive. So foot pads, chest/stomach guard and face cage would be pretty excessive for medium contact.

I wouldn't care if someone wanted to spar in that extra stuff.
The point fighting karate gear that tends to cover those areas is just not very good protection past light sparring. I absolutely agree that people should spar in appropriate gear. They should use stuff that works or at least know the limitations of what they're using. Proper gear is something that can be taught, but some schools with uneven sparring programs might be doing their students a disservice there, just marking up cheapo foam stuff to make a buck.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

I wouldn't care if someone wanted to spar in that extra stuff.
The point fighting karate gear that tends to cover those areas is just not very good protection past light sparring. I absolutely agree that people should spar in appropriate gear. They should use stuff that works or at least know the limitations of what they're using. Proper gear is something that can be taught, but some schools with uneven sparring programs might be doing their students a disservice there, just marking up cheapo foam stuff to make a buck.

It's more of referring to the requirements by where ever your at. I've been at places briefly that required heavy sparring gear ( head, cup,mouth,shins, and full gloves) for light contact sparring drills. I've also been at places where gloves and cup where only required and anything else was up to you

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

Not sure what you're referring to by "that." Having beginners assess degree of equipment used to level of sparring?

My contention is that rating safety gear along a minimum-excessive spectrum doesn't make sense. Like there's a minimum mouthguard you could use for hard sparring?

No, that sparring is necessary for a martial art to be 'alive'.
I (periodically) practice Katori Shinto Ryu and there's no sparring. Yet, it's a school that stood the test of time (and battles).
I guess I'm mainly challenging the notion that martial arts is limited to punching and grappling.

smilehigh
Nov 2, 2010

RUUUUUNNNNNNNN

KildarX posted:

Nope, out of the few schools I've traveled to that have a Wing Chun program, the program usually falls between a 2 and a 3.5 on the Aliveness scale(aliveness scale at bottom). Some schools I've been to that have Wing Chun will also have a FMA program(which will have an aliveness between 2 and 5), a Muay Thai Program(3-4), and a BJJ program(7.5-8), but the wing chun itself isn't very alive. I'd be interested to know where you think your school falls in the aliveness scale.

It's a bit of a sliding scale, I guess. No sparring until you've got a blue belt so for low levels it'd be 1-3, from blue I'd say a 3-4, and if you stick around long enough to get black belt or higher it'd probably be 5-7, gold belts are probably 7-8 from what I've seen when they train together.
We usually use mouth guard, gloves, shin guards, as standard, it's pretty rare for us to use more than that, and I guess the dudes wear a cup. I wear a (non padded)chest guard for sparring with higher levels, it's about the same thickness as a cup. Getting hit in the tits isn't particular pleasant, not balls level pain but still not fun.

80/20 eww girl or creep.
The ones who are like "oh god a girl where do i touch without offending?" are usually sorted with a "chill dude were all here for the same reason".
The laughing though, like every time they go for mount and start nervous laughing.... or sort of hover instead of locking in.
Like how the hell am I meant to improve or learn something new when they're doing that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

No, that sparring is necessary for a martial art to be 'alive'.
I think this dimension of martial arts is almost tautological. Proper sparring is alive, and aliveness comes from proper sparring.
Techniques you execute are never perfect, and you have to constantly adjust to what your opponent is doing.

quote:

I (periodically) practice Katori Shinto Ryu and there's no sparring. Yet, it's a school that stood the test of time (and battles).

By my definition above, I don't think an art with no sparring can be alive. Having no knowledge of that art and going only by the wikipedia page, that curriculum seems like the taichi of weapons fighting, and I imagine that soldiers would have had to do some sparring to prepare for serving in war.

Sparring with weapons is possible but I acknowledge that it's hard to do in a way that's as similar as a real fight (where someone could get killed by a real edge).

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

I think this dimension of martial arts is almost tautological. Proper sparring is alive, and aliveness comes from proper sparring.
Techniques you execute are never perfect, and you have to constantly adjust to what your opponent is doing.

By my definition above, I don't think an art with no sparring can be alive. Having no knowledge of that art and going only by the wikipedia page, that curriculum seems like the taichi of weapons fighting, and I imagine that soldiers would have had to do some sparring to prepare for serving in war.

Sparring with weapons is possible but I acknowledge that it's hard to do in a way that's as similar as a real fight (where someone could get killed by a real edge).

My main martial art is kendo and my opinion is that realistic sparring with weapons is impossible. You can simulate parts of it, possibly all the various parts, but you cannot do all the parts combined. It's simply too dangerous, which is why koryu's such as Katori Shinto Ryu, etc was 'invented'. Obviously the main purpose of those arts have changed. There's no 'need' to learn to use a sword, so people do it as a hobby and as tool for self-development.
You could argue that the art is dead/dying because of that, but then whenever I have practiced with the senior KSR teachers, they are just as much 'alive' as my opponents in kendo.

What I'm objecting against, is that martial arts should be defined as something that's effective when you want to punch people in the face (or want to avoid getting punched in the face). It's far more broad than that. (you can punch them in groin too!)

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Without sparring against a resisting opponent there's no way to test and refine technique though, surely?

Maybe I'm missing the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

quidditch it and quit it posted:

Without sparring against a resisting opponent there's no way to test and refine technique though, surely?

I wouldn't even say it's you need a resisting opponent to "test" technique, you need one to learn.

Live sparring arts say you learn a technique by drilling it 1000x, and alongside that you learn to use it against a real opponent by live sparring 1000x (within whatever ruleset). Being able to e.g. hit a bag with perfect technique is only one component of being able to hit an actual person.

Non- live sparring arts think that you learn a technique by drilling it 1000x, and then you'll be able to use it. You might want to test this a couple of times with light sparring or whatever, but it doesn't need to be a regular part of your training. This is false. It's like learning basketball by just practising free throws, without ever playing an actual game against people who are actually trying to take the ball off you and score, and assuming you'll be fine if you ever get into a real game. You won't! Even if your technique is theoretically pretty good you aren't going to get a shot off against people with a decent amount of actual live playing experience, because you've never learned to.

The problem is, like when I did Wing Chun a while back, people thought they were learning how to fight without practising actually fighting. I tried out boxing, sparred for the first time, and none of the stuff I'd spent years learning stopped me getting punched in the face. I very genuinely believed it would! Glad I learned otherwise in a controlled setting with gloves and a gumshield.