Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Schlesische posted:

Who's commentating?

Jason Bennett, Nigel Carmody, Daisy Pearce, Sam Lane & Dangerfield. The first two are VFL commentators for channel 7 and are a hell of a lot better than the other channel 7 commentators.

edit: Players like Vescio, Davey, Pearce, Harris and Brennan are essentially going to be a level above everyone else. Not a shock considering how many of them are from Darebin Falcons.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Falcons might have a triple digit average margin this year given the experience and training programs their best players have access to tbh

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Only saw 15 minutes of the match due to being at work. One thing is the rather large gap in skill and fitness between some of the players. The good ones were really obviously standouts from the rest and give it another 3 years will out number the inexperienced players.

All I can say is they better hand out some more drat licenses next year so I can have a team to support.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

TG-Chrono posted:

Netball background is the new basketball background

On the other hand, the Crows have an Olympic basketball silver medallist on the roster, and she is my favourite, along with Chelsea Randall and Ebony Marinoff who are also my favourites, and will kick all the goals. (OK maybe just Marinoff will kick all the goals because of those three she's the only player in the forward line.)

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

The Deadly Hume posted:

Yeah, I think the standard will get pretty good over the next few weeks.

The top players are obviously pretty seasoned from playing in existing comps, the less experienced ones should improve as they get their legs and skills up.

At this stage I'll be following the Giants for now.

It'll be so interesting to look back at the games from round 1 2017 compared to round 8 2017,and then say round 1 2022 and just see how different experience and years in the system is. Will be some insane improvement.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Chairchucker posted:

On the other hand, the Crows have an Olympic basketball silver medallist on the roster, and she is my favourite, along with Chelsea Randall and Ebony Marinoff who are also my favourites, and will kick all the goals. (OK maybe just Marinoff will kick all the goals because of those three she's the only player in the forward line.)

Randall is a forward too, she'll just be playing further up the ground because she's good enough to, and is really going to have to as well, like all the big AFL key forwards who played midfield for their private high school because they were just that much better.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Chairchucker posted:

Erin Phillips was the starting point guard in a WNBA championship team as well (after their first string PG got injured during the season).

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Collingwood player Cecelia McIntosh is a former Olympic bobsledder and Commonwealth Games javelin thrower.

Match hightlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBYqhr2qoqA

Testekill posted:

Jason Bennett, Nigel Carmody, Daisy Pearce, Sam Lane & Dangerfield. The first two are VFL commentators for channel 7 and are a hell of a lot better than the other channel 7 commentators.
Best commentary I've heard from channel 7 (upon re-watching the game once I got home from the game) in a decade. Hopefully these two VFL blokes stick around.

Also, what a great sight to behold

Edit: This too
http://i.imgur.com/f6JloaT.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/l80OMFs.gifv

drunkill fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 3, 2017

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
I wish I could loving kick it that far.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The pub I went to ended up using the AFL website to show the game. But the AFL website being what it is, it shat the bed, and only allowed 10 seconds at a time before freezing up and so after the first quarter they abandoned it.

It looks like I missed both a cracking game AND Collingwood losing.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

As soon as my phone is charged I'm off to drive to catch a tram to walk to see some footy, hopefully I get there early enough to get in

Heading in alone because my Dad thinks they're all "lesbos", over 30 and would be pensioned off if they were men, and should be playing at practise grounds because no one is going to go anyway, and I haven't been able to get even one friend interested :smith:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 4, 2017

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Princes park is the only good thing about CFC discuss

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

hiddenmovement posted:

Princes park is the only good thing about CFC discuss

Craig Bradley, Bruce Doull, Darcy Vescio muthafucka

https://twitter.com/Neroli_M_FOX/status/827727392126799872

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Welp no chance I'll get in now, I'm not even there yet

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yep. Sad for the fans locked out but it was to be expected. The Col v Mel game next week might also be moved to Princes Park and it'd become a doubleheader with the afternoon game between Carl and GWS before it. They really need to think about this for season 2 if the crowds don't die off.

Princes Park and Whitten Oval need permanent broadcast lights. Whitten Oval needs more seating, you could probably build 2-4 thousand new bench/terrace seats for a few hundred thousand. Victoria Park needs to be brought online, added lights maybe, but at least fix up the existing stands.

Not sure about the other grounds, but surely there is somewhere in Adelaide they can play it with ~5k capacity. Same with Brisbane, somewhere closer to town.

Edit: Norwood oval looks great. 22k capacity, close to the city. On googlemaps it still has the nab logos on it from preseason last year.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 4, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Turns out that was the line before the gates opened, goon in the house representing.

Thebarton holds 15k fyi and it's filling up despite the rain

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

NTRabbit posted:

Turns out that was the line before the gates opened, goon in the house representing

Numbers? Full house likely?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

hiddenmovement posted:

Numbers? Full house likely?

Depends how people feel about the rain

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

drunkill posted:

Edit: Norwood oval looks great. 22k capacity, close to the city. On googlemaps it still has the nab logos on it from preseason last year.

Norwood oval, aka The Parade, aka Coopers Stadium is hosting our third home game, with our 4th at TIO

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Nutsngum posted:

Only saw 15 minutes of the match due to being at work. One thing is the rather large gap in skill and fitness between some of the players. The good ones were really obviously standouts from the rest and give it another 3 years will out number the inexperienced players.

Oh yeah, they had to share around the marquee players around the clubs this year, so you've probably got 3 levels of skill in each team, maybe a third are senior players from clubs. The great thing is you're right, there are superior younger players now who will be ready for competition in 3 years.

I was very happy with the tackling in last nights game, hope there's a good tussle today.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Nat Exon was on of the bog last night despite never playing senior footy, attracting top tier athletes is another aspect of the comp. Giants looking dangerous early.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

so now that i've come into a bit of cash i'm actually thinking of buying a proper AFL Membership (it doesn't hurt that they come with the international streaming) and like a true Yank plastic i'm trying to size up who'd i'd actually buy it from, right down to seeing who'll give me the most/best poo poo for my dollar. right now i'm down to:

--carlton (the local AFL team I play for is called the Blues and has a link-up with them)
--essendon (my dad bought me a long-sleeved Essendon jumper when he went to Melbourne once on business, because I remember watching James Hird on late-night AFL coverage here and he always wore long sleeves)
--richmond (the university I attended is the Tigers whose colors are black-and-gold, plus We're From Tigerland is a cracking club song)
--freo (when my AFL team plays as part of a combined side with other teams nearby we adopt Cincy's identity which is the Dockers, down to fairly recent Freo kits)

also, yes I can't wait to start playing again. i'm actually working on fitness this year ahead of the season, plus recruited a couple guys to come and play.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Crows looking relaxed against the Giants first quarter. Lots of fumbles!

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Erin Phillips is shredded

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Troy Queef posted:

so now that i've come into a bit of cash i'm actually thinking of buying a proper AFL Membership (it doesn't hurt that they come with the international streaming) and like a true Yank plastic i'm trying to size up who'd i'd actually buy it from, right down to seeing who'll give me the most/best poo poo for my dollar. right now i'm down to:

--carlton (the local AFL team I play for is called the Blues and has a link-up with them)
--essendon (my dad bought me a long-sleeved Essendon jumper when he went to Melbourne once on business, because I remember watching James Hird on late-night AFL coverage here and he always wore long sleeves)
--richmond (the university I attended is the Tigers whose colors are black-and-gold, plus We're From Tigerland is a cracking club song)
--freo (when my AFL team plays as part of a combined side with other teams nearby we adopt Cincy's identity which is the Dockers, down to fairly recent Freo kits)

also, yes I can't wait to start playing again. i'm actually working on fitness this year ahead of the season, plus recruited a couple guys to come and play.

I'd recommend spending the year watching what games you can then following whichever team is the most fun to watch. Then you will know you will be able to get a proper emotional stake in the team from the on, rather than taking the punt on one side and having them stink it up for the year

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I think the GWS ruck is the biggest woman I've ever seen in person, but she's big like Liz Cambage, low jump and not hugely mobile. Metcalfe has nearly 30cm on her after jumping, and she's got some quality palming skills, certainly the most impressive of the four rucks I've seen so far.

The Marinator is boss though, and Phillips seems to have a huge fitness advantage. She is an Olympian coming off a WNBA season, so it's expected.

Looks like at least 8k here.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Randall blowing it open this qtr

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

They keep hammering Phillips and she keeps getting up

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

They keep hammering Phillips and she keeps getting up

Phillips tomorrow

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Crows fans are calling her Erin Selwood

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I picked the wrong team to follow :stare:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The line for Dogs vs Freo apparently stretching out to Barkly street. Living in Ipswich now so sadly minimal chance of seeing games in person now.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Troy Queef posted:

Yeah, watch a bunch of games this season. Pick players that you like and look for a team that you want to follow.

Of the teams you've listed, Carlton and Essendon have the most active fans here and are probably the largest fanbases you're likely to encounter in the wider world.

Carlton fans often have a stigma attached of coming across as colossal wankers with a bit of "born to win" mentality. They're not Hawthorn levels of smug (see: very. Patriots fans, maybe?), but if their young players pan out and they start to win flags and have a dynasty they will probably overcome that level and ascend to a new level of smug.
Essendon fans are still recovering from the Dankgate scandal and it's going to take some time before jokes involving needles go away.
Don't follow Richmond. Richmond fans are loving insane. There is more speculation following this garbage fire on wheels than on literally any other club. It's like following the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Freo doesn't really come with any of that stuff since a) they're like 20 years old and b) they've been poo poo for almost all of those 20 years. There is one other Freo fan here and the team isn't as garbage as their ladder position last year suggests.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/aflwomens/status/827782231850508288

Not a bad effort for a wet afternoon.

Hopefully GWS can get another goal or two before the siren, save the percentage win for da bloooos.

Edit: Geeze, that game got rough in the last 5 minutes. They were all smiling though, just a bit of a rough up.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Feb 4, 2017

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

PUNCH HER LIGHTS OUT

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Troy Queef posted:

Carlton used to be the old Hawthorn in terms of strength and wins. They don't deal with this very well. For a while they were actually trying to game the system for good picks, but even when that worked, they didn't have the right management to take advantage of it and as a result bled valuable players to other teams. Things are improving but slowly.

Yeah, avoid Essendon and Richmond, crazy cultures for different reasons. Essendon will take a lot of rebuilding, and Richmond have been consistently failing to rebuild since the loving 1970's.

There's something wrong with Freo. They should be a good team, but their culture and gameplan seem incapable of living up to reality.

St Kilda, my team, have similar cultural problems to Richmond but the fans aren't as crazy. I like to say we're the best AFL training team in the league because we regularly sell our best off to other teams (the smart ones run away as soon as they realize their abilities).

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS
Yewww come on AFLW! so excited. Decided to pick up the doggies since the eagles don't have a side.

Loving how tough the women are playing! Gonna put to bed a lot of misconceptions about women's sport.

Anyone interested in WatchAFL streaming, if you use the coupon code PRESEASON17 then it's free until the mens round 1, including the women's coverage.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Crows are really good and Randall, Phillips, and The Marinator are the best :toot:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I'm a bit nervous that I'm going to be stuck following two bad teams tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Schlesische posted:

Yeah, watch a bunch of games this season. Pick players that you like and look for a team that you want to follow.

Of the teams you've listed, Carlton and Essendon have the most active fans here and are probably the largest fanbases you're likely to encounter in the wider world.

Carlton fans often have a stigma attached of coming across as colossal wankers with a bit of "born to win" mentality. They're not Hawthorn levels of smug (see: very. Patriots fans, maybe?), but if their young players pan out and they start to win flags and have a dynasty they will probably overcome that level and ascend to a new level of smug.
Essendon fans are still recovering from the Dankgate scandal and it's going to take some time before jokes involving needles go away.
Don't follow Richmond. Richmond fans are loving insane. There is more speculation following this garbage fire on wheels than on literally any other club. It's like following the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Freo doesn't really come with any of that stuff since a) they're like 20 years old and b) they've been poo poo for almost all of those 20 years. There is one other Freo fan here and the team isn't as garbage as their ladder position last year suggests.

seeing your av, here's a story you'd like: two years ago I was at the USAFL national tournament, waiting to play in our divisional final (we lost to Portland, who if you've seen Portlandia confirmed all stereotypes, and I barely got a hit-out). Montreal was playing Sacramento in their div final, Sacto was a team that was not exactly well-liked, even more so when they tried to do a head-count. during the head count I managed to get more than a few people to loudly chant GO HABS GO! and then OLE, OLE OLE OLE, OLE, OLE! whenever Montreal did something well.

• Locked thread