Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
From the Johnny Depp is Broke thread:

SpaghetioSexNoises posted:

Johnny Depp is going to steal a bunch of Oscar gift bags and escape in an early 2000's Honda Civic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

MeatwadIsGod posted:

From the Johnny Depp is Broke thread:

In the BBC article about Depp's financial situation, one of the things listed was how he had spent like a half a million on shooting Hunter S. Thompson's ashes out of a cannon. Among all the other stuff it kind of stood out.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Stare-Out posted:

In the BBC article about Depp's financial situation, one of the things listed was how he had spent like a half a million on shooting Hunter S. Thompson's ashes out of a cannon. Among all the other stuff it kind of stood out.

That's a worthwhile thing to do though, HST died & wanted to be shot out of a cannon. It would be kinda assholish not to do it.

That said, I dunno that I would spend several hundred thousands on it. You could probably go to an old navy fortress and pay them to let you do it for like a fifth of that.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Yeah but they don't have any cannons shaped like hands holding peyote.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Powaqoatse posted:

That's a worthwhile thing to do though, HST died & wanted to be shot out of a cannon. It would be kinda assholish not to do it.

That said, I dunno that I would spend several hundred thousands on it. You could probably go to an old navy fortress and pay them to let you do it for like a fifth of that.

I'm not saying it's wrong or not frankly an awesome thing to do, it just stood out as funny to me in a list of regular ludicrous celebrity spending of private planes and mansions and what have you to suddenly see "yeah, shot this one dead guy out of a cannon for 500 grand."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Stare-Out posted:

3 million.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Stare-Out posted:

I'm not saying it's wrong or not frankly an awesome thing to do, it just stood out as funny to me in a list of regular ludicrous celebrity spending of private planes and mansions and what have you to suddenly see "yeah, shot this one dead guy out of a cannon for 500 grand."

Ya, that's the problem in a way. It's become normalized that rich people spend a lot of money on castles & private planes and poo poo, which they should not do at all ever. But this is the one thing that is probably from the heart, that's the weird thing. I'm not calling yout out, cause it's the common reaction. Also Depp is a huge piece of poo poo and I hate him. But I'm just saying, at least there's some love for another person behind that one expence.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

3 million.

That's right. Even better.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If he wanted to be shot out of a cannon he should have been putting money aside for it imo

Like he committed suicide, he completely chose the time of his death, he could have planned this out a little better. What if he hadn't had a rich rear end friend to pick up the slack? Inconsiderate, that's all there is to it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

purple death ray posted:

If he wanted to be shot out of a cannon he should have been putting money aside for it imo

Like he committed suicide, he completely chose the time of his death, he could have planned this out a little better. What if he hadn't had a rich rear end friend to pick up the slack? Inconsiderate, that's all there is to it

That's beside the point.

Personally I wouldn't spend money on shooting a suicide out of a cannon, but I respect those who do want to do that.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
How much does a cannon cost? How do you spend 3 million dollars firing a cannon? I'm genuinely confused and would really have trouble running up that much cash doing something so simple.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Outrail posted:

How much does a cannon cost? How do you spend 3 million dollars firing a cannon? I'm genuinely confused and would really have trouble running up that much cash doing something so simple.

The cannon was custom made. It said so in the article.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Outrail posted:

quote:

On August 20, 2005, in a private funeral, Thompson's ashes were fired from a cannon. This was accompanied by red, white, blue and green fireworks—all to the tune of Norman Greenbaum's "Spirit in the Sky" and Bob Dylan's "Mr. Tambourine Man".[50] The cannon was placed atop a 153-foot (47 m) tower which had the shape of a double-thumbed fist clutching a peyote button, a symbol originally used in his 1970 campaign for Sheriff of Pitkin County, Colorado.

An estimated 280 people attended, including U.S. Senators John Kerry[51] and George McGovern;[51] 60 Minutes correspondents Ed Bradley and Charlie Rose; actors Jack Nicholson, John Cusack, Bill Murray, Benicio del Toro, Sean Penn, and Josh Hartnett; musicians Lyle Lovett, John Oates and David Amram, and artist and long-time friend Ralph Steadman.

It was a pretty big production, commissioning a 15-story sculpture that can support a cannon couldn't have been cheap.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Outrail posted:

Pig vegan what now?

quote:

There is to my mind only one solution, my friend:
Lock your friend in a room with two hired soldiers and a keyboard. Give him the sheet music for "it's a small world after all". Have him try again and again to play it on the keyboard, with the soldiers jamming a razorwire-covered baseball bat up his rear end every time he hits a wrong note.
When he has perfected the tune, let him sleep, eat, and live a normal life. Then, every night for a year, have the soldiers wake him up at a random point in the night with the assbat treatment, holding out a casio keyboard until he plays the tune. Each time, they will remove the bat when he plays the tune.
After a year, he will be conditioned so that as soon as he gains consciousness after sleep, he will be driven by fear-installed instinct to play "it's a small world after all" as soon as he possibly can for fear of being manraped with a razorbat.
Allow him a few days to think things are fine, and then drug him to the gills by slipping a mickey in his soy milk.
Saw open his skull and remove his mind, keeping it on ice in your well-stocked lab. The brain should then be implanted into the grown body of a pig embryo given fragments of human DNA in order to give it arms and legs workable with human nerve impulses.
Before consciousness is regained, manipulate the porkmate creature into a tuxedo, and glue it to the seat of a colossal hellish organ. This organ's pipes should be lined with the still-living throat and lung tissues of battery-farmed pigs, their sedated but conscious heads still weeping from the top of the pipes, kept alive by the air flowing through the pipes and nutrients from underground vats.
Your friend will awake in the nightmare ghoulform of a remade human pig, and will desperately begin playing the organ. The organ will force air through the twisted, sore, splayed out vocal chords of the sad creatures impaled on its pipes, screaming out an infernal dirge of "it's a small world" in constant agony.
Your friend will soon realise he must keep playing to keep air flowing through the reconfigured lung tissues of his mangled brethren, but to do so keeps them alive in an existence of perpetual torture. He will weep with guilt, tears of blood from sore and ill-wired tear ducts, but he will keep playing.
His audience? seven thousand PETA members, each nailed into a coital position with the rotting carcass of a dolphin, while six-foot tall raven haired valkyries dressed only in thigh high boots and collars made from dog leather whip them with flails made from the intestines of kittens.
You and I shall each sit on titanic floating thrones of ebony, malachite and ossified whaleflesh, being pleasured at random by our own chained valkyries until your friend commits suicide by choking to death on his own bitten-off bacony tongue.
Hold on, I have to go and wank now.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
That was revolting. Here's something a bit lighter.

Dirk the Average posted:

In the time it would take him to make an elevator pitch, a lactose intolerant person could chug a gallon of whole milk and their bowels would provide a succinct summary of his content.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Was that long post supposed to be funny?

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

sweeperbravo posted:

If you're in middle school and need to be edgy, then yes, it's uproariously funny.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

No, it's not supposed to be funny. It's supposed to be badass and hardcore and edgy as gently caress, I think.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The vegan pig machine guy, the "The Thing is the best movie ever because there are no women in it" guy, and the "The Flash has pants made of Goes Fast" guy all walk into a restaurant together. They die of starvation because nobody can stop talking long enough to place an order.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Guy Mann posted:

The vegan pig machine guy, the "The Thing is the best movie ever because there are no women in it" guy, and the "The Flash has pants made of Goes Fast" guy all walk into a restaurant together. They die of starvation because nobody can stop talking long enough to place an order.

They did place an order, but SMG assured them that they did it only thematically.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i dont think this got posted here yet & it deserves to be

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Turns out I do remember reading that a while ago. Thanks for reminding me.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

sweeperbravo posted:

graybook posted:

If you're in middle school and need to be edgy, then yes, it's uproariously funny.
I think it helped that it came after a series of other suggestions to passive-aggressively persuade this one guy's roommate to become a vegetarian, according to the source I C&P'ed from.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ya iirc it was the dot on the i on a pages long thing about whether whoever should be a vegetarian or not. And goons being goons, there was probably a lot of "pigs literally break their legs during transport" and "they have open wounds due to standing too close" and poo poo like that

its all true btw i just like eating meat more than i like knowing about animals

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I fully acknowledge that cows have best friends, are as friendly as dogs, and are surprisingly intelligent.
I'm still gonna eat burgers.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

aww look at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGS5cqrb7NI

i wanna eat it

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
Like if you want to die and you want to be shot out of a canon I don't know why you need to go to the trouble of killing yourself first.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

purple death ray posted:

It was Hunter S. Thompson. Money that could be saved to pay for your funeral cannon would be better spent on cocaine and bourbon.

Guy Mann posted:

I will defend the "The Thing is the best movie ever" post, mainly because it's true :colbert:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

slinkimalinki posted:

Like if you want to die and you want to be shot out of a canon I don't know why you need to go to the trouble of killing yourself first.

well he was too old to be shot out of a cannon while alive lol

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Powaqoatse posted:

well he was too old to be shot out of a cannon while alive lol

I'm sure he could have been alive at first.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm sure he could have been alive at first.

maybe, but not after he killed himself tho

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Powaqoatse posted:

maybe, but not after he killed himself tho

Maybe he wouldn't have killed himself if he had had good friends, the kind of friends who shoot you out of a cannon?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Maybe he wouldn't have killed himself if he had had good friends, the kind of friends who shoot you out of a cannon?

fuc i didnt even consider that. i want the kind of friends that will shoot me out of a cannon.

into a building is fine

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Powaqoatse posted:

fuc i didnt even consider that. i want the kind of friends that will shoot me out of a cannon.

into a building is fine

Might as well make a splash.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

or like imagine a shower scene from an 80s movie. sexy skin all over & then my fat whale rear end comes blasting through the window & destroys the 32" tv (nobody buys tvs anymore)

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

So, this is amazing?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jeza posted:

So, this is amazing?

yea, it is

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Jeza posted:

So, this is amazing?

It is, though it's sorely missing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwGHiicMNvA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Triticum Guzzler posted:

The one drop rule, chastity devices, grain thresher honor killings, and there's a problem with my receipt - The new dating megathread