Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Scabbards on NPCs?! Thank gently caress for that, people carrying swords around without scabbards looked really weird.

And thanks for the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fuzz posted:

I dunno who Lawen is, but I cleaned up the list and actually added links:

The Good Mod List:

Mandatory: (Get all of these)

Optional Gameplay/Quality of Life Improvements: (in order of importance)
  • Friendly HUD (because I like seeing the HUD I need when I need it, not all the time. MUCH more immersive)
  • Better Trophies (Makes trophies actually worth keeping and swapping around)
  • Refill Alcohol Selection (Always uses the alcohol you have the most of, so you can't run out of anything)
  • Cheaper Respec Potions (respeccing for cheaper = more variety and chance to mess around)
  • Cheap Dyes Everywhere (because gently caress waiting for endgame DLC for that poo poo. Dyeable Starting Armor is also good)
  • Perks Always Active (Passives are totally a losing proposition otherwise and at a certain point you have too many skillpoints)

Optional Graphical and Aesthetic Tweaks: (no specific order)
  • HD Reworked Project (improved textures are mainly noticeable in Novigrad and Skellige)
  • Improved Sign Effects (because having a huge shockwave Aard that flattens dudes is :krad:)
  • Griffin Armor Redesign (Because I'm a fat shamer and don't like :btroll: Geralt)
  • No Dirty Lens Effect (I don't like feeling like I'm playing a movie)
  • Scabbards on NPCs (Makes NPCs look loving AWESOME and maintains your immersion)
  • Turbo Lighting Mod (Makes nights spooky, works well with Weather despite some conflicts)
  • Enhanced Weather (Because holy poo poo looking out over Velen when it's foggy is BEAUTIFUL)
  • Lore Friendly Witchers (Only used the eyes, because I like the specular shiny thing and in a lot of cutscenes it makes Geralt look even more badass. Or you can make Geralt look like a pasty albino if you're a book sperg, but never run in the rain/get wet because there's no wet skin shadermapping)
Edit: beaten

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Scabbards on NPCs?! Thank gently caress for that, people carrying swords around without scabbards looked really weird.

And thanks for the list.

This was the first mod that started me down the path of going nuts with mods on my first playthrough while still trying to stay clean and not totally butcher the core gameplay. Makes a huge difference, particularly since they get the same scabbards as Geralt would with those weapons so there's a lot of variety to the scabbards.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Hey Comte, why no scabbards on npcs? I'm not judging, just curious. The rest of the wardrobe is spectacular.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
At least the NPCs wear pants now.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
Is there a mod or something to adjust the blood splatter on Geralt? It looks terrible on my end and I can't tell if it's a weird bug or what.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Deadly Hume posted:

At least the NPCs wear pants now.
That was a feature in W2 and I will not hear otherwise :colbert:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So, I've been taking a Children's Literature course at school this semester, and we've been discussing fairy tales and oral tradition a whole lot. One of the major points we've drawn upon is the function of a mirror, or a looking glass. When we were discussing H.C Anderson's The Snow Queen, the mirror shards and their creator are a stand in for the Devil, as a mirror is a form of artifice, and therefore associated with construction rather than creation, which is God's domain.

There's more to it than that, but it certainly has informed my reading of good ole Gaunter a fair bit.

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

The quest was pretty nilfgaard-centric and involved a renegade general (and demonologist) who was doing crazy wizard poo poo in Velen. Thaler was there, and so was Vincent Meis (but he got cut early). Iorveth was in there, trying to steal something from the demon-summoning general guy so that he could cure a plague that was killing his doods.

The whole nilfgaardian war stuff got cut for mostly just not fitting in well with the rest of the game and simply not having enough time to finish it properly.

Hi Comte, I’ve been trying to find out story behind the cut Iorveth content ever since the game came out, and to find someone who talks about it so openly is really cool. I’ve emailed, written letters and messaged a bunch of people who worked on it, from programmers to cinematics to leads like Mr. Blacha or the Tomaskiewicz brothers, but got no response or a "can''t talk about it" from most of them, which was understandable at the time. I get that you worked on this stuff a while ago, and you can’t possibly remember everything, but I was wondering if you'd be willing to let me interrogate you... err I mean ask you some a million questions.

I apologize in advance for the fact that I got a bit carried away. Sorry! I won't post them here, as the post became way too long, but I pasted them on pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/5B60uEqc

TenaciousD fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Feb 4, 2017

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

TenaciousD posted:

Hi Comte, I’ve been trying to find out story behind the cut Iorveth content ever since the game came out, and to find someone who talks about it so openly is really cool. I’ve emailed, written letters and messaged a bunch of people who worked on it, from programmers to cinematics to leads like Mr. Blacha or the Tomaskiewicz brothers, but got no response or a "can''t talk about it" from most of them, which was understandable at the time. I get that you worked on this stuff a while ago, and you can’t possibly remember everything, but I was wondering if you'd be willing to let me interrogate you... err I mean ask you some a million questions.

I apologize in advance for the fact that I got a bit carried away. Sorry! I won't post them here, as the post became way too long, but I pasted them on pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/5B60uEqc

nope, sorry

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

D'aw, he registered just to ask you that.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MikeJF posted:

Its someone's alt account that they registered just to ask him.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's pretty cool that Comte de Saint-Germain did most of the work on the Equine Phantoms writing, because it's up there with the bank quest as one of my favorites in Blood and Wine. I didn't talk to the other animals, though, so that's something I'll have to do whenever I do a New Game plus.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Why can't people talk abotu it? Is it just a pain in the rear end to answer, or are there ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•trade secrets¸¸•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸ involved?

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Its someone's alt account that they registered just to ask him.

Ten bucks is ten bucks. :shrug:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
NDA probably.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Grabbed the oils/Trophies/Textures/scabbards and fancier Aard/Igni mods, is the weather one really cool? I'll probably just save that for NG+

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Was going to start a new game, but noticed that my GOG library also has the GotY Edition in there now. Is there any good reason to change into this version instead if I already have all the DLC and expansions on the normal version?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
From what I've heard it just consolidates all the content into one big file so you don't have to download and install everything individually

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

MikeJF posted:

I really did. Oh well, no regrets. The search continues! I'll get my answers and will be able to retcon this in my head one day.

If anyone is curious, I'm pretty sure that the general / big bad Comte mentioned was indeed Martin Hector Krafft Ebbing, who was most likely voice acted by David Annen, the guy who did Dethmold in TW2 and BB in B&W. I guess the demonic force he teamed up with was going to be Gaunter O'Dimm? This is even more interesting read seeing as Iorveth was meant to be in the questline.

You know the mask you get in Blood and Wine from Regis when he asks you to pick mandrake roots, that was called Martin's mask originally (image 1).

By the way, the concept art for the Kayran mask was legit.

TenaciousD fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 5, 2017

darkdeus
Mar 18, 2012
Thought you guys might like these screenshots I took of the game over the last couple of years. All of them downsampled from 4K: http://imgur.com/a/HUMP1

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Purdy game, purdy screenshots.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Let's get down to brass tacks: how big is Geralts dick

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

That DICK! posted:

Let's get down to brass tacks: how big is Geralts dick

There's a mod for that. ;)

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Excellent post and screen name combo.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
I havent seen anybody mention immersive cam but it fixes the most annoying thing about the game to me which is the autorotation of the camera while you are on horseback. This fixes that and you can also change the camera position to whatever you want and it saves with the game.

The motion mod reverts back to the way walking controls worked when the game first shipped and also lets you jump in water.

The ai fix seems to work well, though npc's still do the things it claims to fix on occasion.

The horse control mod is great. You dont have to hold anything to keep pace, and the auto follow roads function works pretty well. The horse will annoyingly stop near fences or on bridges sometimes, but in areas like that you can turn on auto follow and it will navigate itself without stopping.

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/689/

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

The autorotation can be turned off in the options now.

Why would anyone want to have the original motion? It was godawful.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Okay, I'm setting up my file for New Game+, and I think I want to cut down on the amount of stuff I have in the menu. I have some questions:

1) Since all my alchemy formulae and potions come with me, is there any reason to keep the non-alcohol ingredients or can I sell them all away?
2) I'm assuming I want to keep crafting material for weapons/armor because they'll reset all of the gear (hopefully including Witcher) to be level-appropriate?
3) I have an enormous amount of "can't sell" garbage in the form of masks and stuff. Being quest items, those will disappear, I'm hoping?

I'm partially hoping I can sell the alchemy stuff because I've cleared all the bandit camps, run out of money, and I still have four Grandmaster swords I'd like to buy before starting over :sweatdrop:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm kinda sad there weren't more cool vanity headgear but on the other hand why would we need more than the rear end ears.

Jizz into Darkness
Oct 28, 2010

Having a bunch of cut content surrounding a nilfgaardian general explains the House of Respite not being a part of any quest, despite having a mechanic where it's locked unless you're wearing fancy dress.

That's a shame though, quests that force Geralt into a doublet are the best.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

darkdeus posted:

Thought you guys might like these screenshots I took of the game over the last couple of years. All of them downsampled from 4K: http://imgur.com/a/HUMP1

Goddamn this game is pretty, a few of these going into my desktop wallpaper rotation, thanks :)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

gently caress it, I'm an inpatient jackass and I died way too close to killing a boss in Bloodborne, so I just went ahead and sold a bunch of things. I rebuilt my ability points from scratch to focus on alchemy with a bit of combat (the basic higher crit odds and more damage ones). The only points I put into signs were Axii for conversation manipulation. I'm all geared up in red-died Grandmaster Wolf gear and ready to ride into White Orchard chucking bombs and scaring peasants with my veiny face.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I downloaded that Friendly HUD mod. How exactly do I configure it to only show the HUD on Witcher Senses? Do I need to disable HUD settings in the main HUD menu or in the mod menu?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Arcsquad12 posted:

So I downloaded that Friendly HUD mod. How exactly do I configure it to only show the HUD on Witcher Senses? Do I need to disable HUD settings in the main HUD menu or in the mod menu?

Yes. Turn everything off, then use the UI Mod's menu to turn whatever you want back on. You should totally turn on 3D markers for quests, it's so much better than trying to see the tiny up or down arrow on objective poo poo on the minimap.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Is there a place you can get the towel from the Vizima intermission? Wanna run around in a towel and kill monsters.

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

Jizz into Darkness posted:

Having a bunch of cut content surrounding a nilfgaardian general explains the House of Respite not being a part of any quest, despite having a mechanic where it's locked unless you're wearing fancy dress.

That's a shame though, quests that force Geralt into a doublet are the best.

This is just me speculating, but I think the plague questline could have also fixed Reason's of State.

You kill Radovid, and do give the plague cure to Emhyr. Dijkstra decides that it's too risky to betray his allies and begrudgingly sticks with the agreement.
You kill Radovid, and don't give the plague cure to Emhyr. Nilfgaard is weakened by the outbreak, the tide has turned, and Dijkstra decides to betray his allies and kill the Temerians behind Geralt's back in order to rule Redania.
You don't kill Radovid, and you don't complete the plague quest. Radovid gains control of Novigrad, and it's resources, Dijkstra flees back to Zerrikania, and Radovid secures the North under his "enlightened" rule. Emhyr is killed by domestic agents, and Voorhis becomes Emperor.

It's not perfect, but it makes a whole lot more sense than what happens in the finished game, where there is no reason for Dijkstra to think that he could take Geralt, or that Geralt would just walk away.

It would be cool if CDPR could do something like Volition did recently, where they showed off a bunch of their cut content from the Saint's Row games. Then even showed an entire game that got cut near completion. Ryslaw was doing something similar with TW1, but I think he was asked to stop, or maybe he just lost interest.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I would have been happy having Geralt be able to ask Dijkstra to give Upper Aedirn independence. I would have sold out Roche and Ves for that a lot easier. Thaler would still make me want to kill Dijkstra though.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Feb 5, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I would have been happy having Geralt be able to ask Dijkstra to give Upper Aedirn independence. I would have sold out Roche and Ves for that a lot easier. Thaler would still make me want to kill Dijkstra though.

I would've been happy just for Geralt to be able to secure guarded exile for Thaler and Roche and Ves

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Who would you be giving independence to, though? According to the Saskia comic, Vergen gets burned to the ground by Nilfgaard. Which is a bit odd, as TW2 makes a big deal about Vergen being an important strategic location. Nilfgaard could have used it as a staging ground for incursions into the North.

I don't know if that Saskia comic is 'canon', because there's a knight from Vergen in the tourney in B&W.

TenaciousD fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Feb 5, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Important choke point in defending the Pontar from the south, not worth much once you own it and are pushing north

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Just started this game, and I can't help but laugh at myself.

Level 1, no ability points, still trying to figure out the game: I race back to town and meditate as soon as the sun sets. I ain't loving around with monsters at night.

Level 2, a couple of ability points invested, starting to tinker with stuff: gently caress the world, I will murder anything anywhere anytime.

That level up just changed so much.

Shinjobi fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 5, 2017