Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

happyhippy posted:

This is the first modern Simpsons clip I have watched in about 5 years or more.
HOLY gently caress what happened!
The animation style, its its just WRONG.
And the movement speeds. Or is it the yt video itself, it's like a dream sequence. Slowed down a tad, making it unsettling. Like David Lynch shot it.

Its a Dad joke in cartoon form. No, even a Dad joke Dad would cringe at this.

That's my biggest problem with "new" Simpsons. Ever since they changed to that clear and soulless animation style, it's lost its charm. There are still jokes here and there, but it's just not the same :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I clicked the Tik Tok video first and it was so bad I couldn't bring myself to watch any of the others so I voted for that.

I think the worst thing I actually watched on TV was the one where Maggie was trying to get in to an exclusive preschool and the admissions board had Simon Cowell on it.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 4, 2017

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
any episode that focuses on an extra always feels lovely. gently caress lenny, gently caress moe, gently caress carl, gently caress barney, gently caress millhouse, gently caress luanne, gently caress Kurt, gently caress em all. I want Bart, Maggie, Lisa, Homer and Marge, MAYBE Grandpa. Ned Flanders is an exception to the rule because the episodes he plays the biggest part in are usually good due to the depth of his character. Any episode that deliberately draws up a bio by itself feels super contrived and boring.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Huh, when that Homer Votes clip was over I noticed how hard I was frowning. It's pretty bad when you can be politically aligned with someone and still feel insulted by their message.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

unpleasantly turgid posted:

any episode that focuses on an extra always feels lovely. gently caress lenny, gently caress moe, gently caress carl, gently caress barney, gently caress millhouse, gently caress luanne, gently caress Kurt, gently caress em all. I want Bart, Maggie, Lisa, Homer and Marge, MAYBE Grandpa. Ned Flanders is an exception to the rule because the episodes he plays the biggest part in are usually good due to the depth of his character. Any episode that deliberately draws up a bio by itself feels super contrived and boring.

Ned can definitely hit that depth too :glomp:

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Homer takes a page from 50 Shades of Grey and decides that a sadomasochistic relationship with Marge is the way to go. Meanwhile, Milhouse uses Marlon Brando's ghost to get advice on how to impress Lisa.
Guest star: Wanda Sykes and George Takei

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Other Barry posted:

ever since armin tamzarian, every single episode of the simpsons has been worst than the one before it. so that means that every single time you watch a new simpsons, that's the worst episode of the series

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Holy poo poo Wizard Master can not-shitpost! Who knew?

You really have us spoiled for choice here WM, I voted for Homer votes as that was the most Family guy moment of the choices.

And now back to ignoring daytime TV.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Nonviolent J posted:

I was gonna post and say wow noone mentioned principal and the pauper but ding ding there it is

It isnt even a bad episode and if it actually annoyed you as a kid then youre a freak

The writers and actors hate it and consider it a mistake because it set the precedent for throwing established characters out the window to fit whatever zany plot they invent, but compared to those awful clips from the newer seasons it's a goddamn masterpiece.

Season 8 is where you can really see the decline in quality speeding up though. At this point the show isn't on life support, it already died and decomposed and they're just parading it's skeleton around like a marionette.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 4, 2017

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

p. nice Wolf Parade ref posted:

The episode where Bart gets emancipated from his family and hangs with Tony Hawk and poo poo.

When I saw the promo for that episode, I instantly knew I should just stop watching. The show had been on the decline for a while, but that simply made me realise how far gone it had become.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Homer takes a page from 50 Shades of Grey and decides that a sadomasochistic relationship with Marge is the way to go. Meanwhile, Milhouse uses Marlon Brando's ghost to get advice on how to impress Lisa.
Guest star: Wanda Sykes and George Takei

For everyone who skimmed this "lol, make up a zany simpsons episode plot" post, this is an actual real episode.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

unpleasantly turgid posted:

Some of the Skinner, Krusty and Burns episodes were good.
And the one where Troy McClure marries Selma. And Apu vs the Quickemart. And Flaming Moe's, though that maybe counts as a Homer episode.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Homer wants a younger, hipper image, so he starts hanging out with Terrence and Emily, two hipsters from Portland, but Marge and Bart find the couple, their child, and their ilk who take over the unhip town of Springfield to be irritating and pretentious.
Guest star: Fred Armisen, Carrie Brownstein, Patton Oswalt, and The Decemberists.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nutsngum posted:

For everyone who skimmed this "lol, make up a zany simpsons episode plot" post, this is an actual real episode.
:eyepop:
i looked this up because i did not believe you. turns out its 100% true. from the looks of the descriptions every single episode has multiple celebraty guest stars. I assueme that The Simpsons is now just a celebrity vanity project, only watched by guest stars to stroke their own ego

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Simpsons_(season_24)

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Rutibex posted:

:eyepop:
i looked this up because i did not believe you. turns out its 100% true. from the looks of the descriptions every single episode has multiple celebraty guest stars. I assueme that The Simpsons is now just a celebrity vanity project, only watched by guest stars to stroke their own ego

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Simpsons_(season_24)

It's cool that the 'Ad revenue' section is at the forefront of this article and the episodes and stuff are listed beneath it

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lumpy the Cook posted:

It's cool that the 'Ad revenue' section is at the forefront of this article and the episodes and stuff are listed beneath it

i assume thats because anyone looking up the simpsons on wikipedia is doing it to figure out why it still exists

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

When they released that VR game where you can gently caress marge

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
When Bart got out Im piss

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

family guy crossover was the nadir

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Nutsngum posted:

I just assume any retard plot summary I read is an actual episode unless explicitly stated otherwise at this point

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?
Probably the Springfield Gorge. It was really far down to the bottom.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

The one where Homer gets paid by famous sports stars to choreograph their victory dances. It starts off with Homer doing this awful Dad-dancing which is cringe worthy in a way it doesn't even mean to be cringeworthy.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

LINKIN PARK

when they introduced that little green alien that only homer could see and talk to

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Benny Harvey posted:

The one where Homer gets paid by famous sports stars to choreograph their victory dances. It starts off with Homer doing this awful Dad-dancing which is cringe worthy in a way it doesn't even mean to be cringeworthy.

Wasn't that like, season 1 or 2?

For me I think it was the one where Lisa goes to school in disguise as a boy for whatever reason, and to pass the boys' initiation she has to punch Ralph who starts crying and runs away. That bugged me. It was completely out of character for everyone and the wrong kind of mean spirited that I came to expect from the show.

Slowpoke
Jul 7, 2007

Also, someone drew a sweet Slowpoke that I wanted to buy for an av but lost the image. I think the thread was people drawing Pokemon? I guess? I don't know. If someone could help find it I would love to buy it. Thanks.

Nutsngum posted:

Are you joking too? I refuse to believe that this is real. Holy smokes!

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

"Mean-spirited" is a pretty good descriptor for the Simpsons past, uh, 2001 or '02 or so.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Dunno the season, but as a kid I realized it was when they had to constantly send the Simpson family to other countries to rehash the same old plots that this poo poo was stale.

I think it hit me particularly when I saw sideshow Bob after the episode where he reformed and helped the kids defeat his brother Cecil. The family went to Italy and Bob had family and a kid and they were focused on a vendetta or something. By that time I had stopped caring.

The next time I watched it I was in college and saw that "Patti is a lesbian" episode... haven't bothered to watch the show since.

springfieldisforgayloversofmarriage.com

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

idk but I know what the high point was :krust:

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

idk but I know what the high point was :krust:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mng posted:

That's my biggest problem with "new" Simpsons. Ever since they changed to that clear and soulless animation style, it's lost its charm. There are still jokes here and there, but it's just not the same :smith:

the problem is the writing staff had completely turned over by season 9 or 10 and instead of being a well written satire of american life it just became a funny jokes cartoon. the simpsons brand was too strong to just stop making the show (and losing all the merchandising opportunities) and also it's a reliable attraction for fox's sunday night animation block. there's really no reason to put forth the effort to make the simpsons good anymore instead they just made it more like family guy since that's also a big ratings draw. if the show premiered today in the state that it's in now it wouldn't make it more than a couple seasons like all the other cartoons fox keeps trying and failing with

so it's not so much that the simpsons is 'bad' now it's just aggressively mediocre and sort of boring but it has a legacy of being really good twenty years ago which makes it seem worse than it really is

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 4, 2017

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

p. nice Wolf Parade ref posted:

The episode where Bart gets emancipated from his family and hangs with Tony Hawk and poo poo.

This another one that sticks out in my mind as one of the all time worsts. Prominent guest stars appearing as themselves are a common theme.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

"Mean-spirited" is a pretty good descriptor for the Simpsons past, uh, 2001 or '02 or so.

It's still pretty Andy-Griffith compared to anything by Macfarlane and his imitators.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I like how the Simpsons now assumes its viewers are so retarded that to set up their terrible election joke they had to remind people who Putin is: "Russian President Vladimir Putin!"

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
When they got the dog.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Season four, episode 9F15, "Last Exit to Springfield"

Starblind
Apr 4, 2007

Encomium in colour
I was going to say the Kid Rock episode, and I looked it up and that one was 17 years ago. 17 YEARS. It's like going to visit an old friend in hospice care, and they're clearly not doing well, and years later you find out they're still alive somehow, still hooked up to tubes and machines, just staring at the wall.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Simpsons Sing The Blues / Do The Bartman

ugh.

joke option : Season 1 Episode 1 at 0:00

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Rutibex posted:

i assume thats because anyone looking up the simpsons on wikipedia is doing it to figure out why it still exists

Who is watching it anyways? I can't imagine that the 30+ crowd who remembers the good years does, and I can't imagine anyone over 12 looking at it now and thinking that it's edgy or funny compared to other shows.

Stocky Manhood
Jul 29, 2014

Can I get a hat wobble?

Other Barry posted:

ever since armin tamzarian, every single episode of the simpsons has been worst than the one before it. so that means that every single time you watch a new simpsons, that's the worst episode of the series

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Most of those are pretty good except homer votes and homer live. I guess lisa goes gaga isn't very good either.