Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Marvel Adventures Lucha Underground returns for yet another year. An indie staple made up of silliness, comic book logic and storylines that are mostly well-booked, it gets its own thread because most people in the indie thread can't stand it. Here are our current champs.

Grand Champion: Hallowicked
Campeones de Parejas: Mustache Mountain (Tyler Bate and Trent Seven)
Young Lions Cup Holder: Thunderfrog

Previously in Chikara:

- The big storyline was the HeXed Men, the culmination of the Eye of Tyr subplot that's been going on since 2009. The Eye of Tyr is a magical artifact that causes mind-control. After losing a Loser Leaves Chikara match, Delirious used it on Hallowicked and Frightmare, turning them evil. The two started going on and on about Nazmaldun, their god who would bring doom to Chikara. After over a year of this, they captured the Eye of Tyr and used it on a retired and wheelchair-bound UltraMantis Black. Mantis became Nazmaldun and went around turning wrestlers into his psychic slaves. Soon their stable grew to include all three members of the Batiri, Icarus, Jigsaw and Mr. Touchdown. Ophidian was, for whatever reason, immune to the spell.

This led to a Cibernetico match where Dasher Hatfield was the last man standing after pinning both Touchdown and Hallowicked. Afterwards, Ophidian stole the Eye of Tyr from Mantis and left with it. Now able to stand, Mantis chased off Hallowicked while yelling "I! REMEMBER! EVERYTHING!" Then Ophidian brought the Eye of Tyr to Thunderfrog, who destroyed it once and for all with his giant hammer.

No word yet on what's become of all the HeXed Men based on that.

- Dasher and Touchdown had a falling out at the end of Season 15 due to Touchdown's rampant cheating. Prior to being turned into a HeXed Man, Touchdown remained a face, despite the jeers from the crowd. He appeared genuinely guilt-ridden over his actions, but none of his former allies believed him.

- Back at the end of Season 15, Oleg the Usurper, having a sentimental moment, promised Kobald that he would never harm him. That put him in a rough situation when Kobald was a mind-controlled villain. Oleg stuck to his word to the end, even if it caused him to be the first eliminated in the Cibernetico.

- Chuck Taylor's latest fake retirement blew up in his face when he found out that he lost the rights to his name and gimmick. Chuck Taylor TM, a sketchy R&B singer, showed up with the name and started off as taunting the original until eventually forcing him to be his tag partner. OG Chuck went under various replacement names until just being DUSTIN.

- Missile Assault Man did that thing at that place.

- Max Smashmaster has transformed into a loose cannon monster that got fired after attacking Quackenbush. He got his job back when he threatened to tear Vlad Radinov's jaw out and Kimber Lee insisted he be reinstated so she could kick his rear end. He's become increasingly unhinged as time goes on and Sidney Bakabella can barely control him.

- NRG are in the midst of breaking up because why not.

- Vlad Radinov is the best.

- The United Nations broke up after Juan Francisco lost his patience with his underlings. He has since started teaming with Wani.

- Chikara lost a TON of people for one reason or another over the last year. Kimber Lee, Heidi Lovelace, Kevin Condron, Amasis, Soldier Ant/Drew Gulak, Blaster McMassive, Flex Rumblecrunch, Jervis Cottonbelly, Joey Styles, Ashley Remington, Leonard F. Chikarason, Shynron, Eddie Kingston, Abominous Rex, Jaka and I think Jakob Hammermeier. Even Chuck Taylor had a falling out with Quack only to smooth things over later on. Most of them are still up on the roster page for some reason.

- New guys on the roster include Chuck TM, a pair of crab people, Hornswoggle and his hired goons, a pair of mermaids, bicycle enthusiasts, a motorcycle cop and... a pair of Charles Dickens evil businessmen with bad hygiene and mucus issues? I really don't have a full grasp on what Crummels and Defarge are supposed to be.

The new season begins February 4 with National Pro Wrestling Day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Gavok posted:

- Chikara lost a TON of people for one reason or another over the last year. Kimber Lee, Heidi Lovelace, Kevin Condron, Amasis, Soldier Ant/Drew Gulak, Blaster McMassive, Flex Rumblecrunch, Jervis Cottonbelly, Joey Styles, Ashley Remington, Leonard F. Chikarason, Shynron, Eddie Kingston, Abominous Rex, Jaka and I think Jakob Hammermeier. Even Chuck Taylor had a falling out with Quack only to smooth things over later on. Most of them are still up on the roster page for some reason.

Jesus! Where did everyone go? WWE couldn't have signed ALL these people, right?

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

Gavok posted:

- Chikara lost a TON of people for one reason or another over the last year. Kimber Lee [Signed to WWE], Heidi Lovelace [Signed to WWE], Kevin Condron, Amasis, Soldier Ant/Drew Gulak [Signed to WWE], Blaster McMassive [$$GABE MONEY$$], Flex Rumblecrunch [$$GABE MONEY$$], Jervis Cottonbelly [Moved to California], Joey Styles [Fired for Trump Joke], Ashley Remington, Leonard F. Chikarason, Shynron, Eddie Kingston [Being lied to by TNA and waiting for checks], Abominous Rex, Jaka [$$GABE MONEY$$] and I think Jakob Hammermeier. Even Chuck Taylor had a falling out with Quack only to smooth things over later on. Most of them are still up on the roster page for some reason.

Not sure about the rest.

Ktik fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 1, 2017

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Blaster and Flex gettin that Gabe money

That slacks money

That dress shirt AND tie money

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

CombineThresher posted:

Jesus! Where did everyone go? WWE couldn't have signed ALL these people, right?

Ktik noted Kimber, Heidi, and Gulak and Joey Styles...

Gavok posted:

Blaster & Flex are, as LobsterMobster said, gettin' that Gabe money.

Kingston is allegedly gettin' that Anthem money as part of DCC in TNA.

Jervis moved west to Cali, I think, and thus can't be flown out all the time. Ditto for Condron.

Amasis lost his mask at the first half of the season 16 finale, and now is competing under his real name, Desean Pratt. No word yet on whether he'll still be in Chikara under that name.

Ashley Remington apparently decided to go back to being Dalton Castle and enjoys the company of his BOYS rather than Ashley's Angels.

Shynron is competing under the name Zenshi now and hasn't been in Chikara in more than a year.

Abominous Rex was just Max Smashmaster in a mask.

Jaka and Jakob Hammermeier both got brutalized by Kingston. Kingston has, I believe, stated he is still open to wrestling for Chikara, if his other bookings allow.

As for Crummels & Defarge, the general consensus is they're scurvy-ridden Dickensian orphans.

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

Ahhh, didn't realize Gabe money was exclusive money now. Jaka is getting the Gabe money too.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Amasis lost his mask at the first half of the season 16 finale, and now is competing under his real name, Desean Pratt. No word yet on whether he'll still be in Chikara under that name.

On Twitter he made it sound like he was cutting ties with the company.

quote:

Abominous Rex was just Max Smashmaster in a mask.

That's the kayfabe explanation, but in real life, he was definitely not. Abominous was both taller (roughly the height of Snitsky) and not as well-proportioned as Smashmaster. He was fatter with skinnier arms. Before the "it was Smashmaster" reveal, Bakabella said on Twitter that Abominous got fired for no-showing.

quote:

As for Crummels & Defarge, the general consensus is they're scurvy-ridden Dickensian orphans.

At the finale, their pre-match interview said that they were businessmen of some kind and Quack on commentary called them conmen. So I don't know what the gently caress but I kind of like them anyway. That match was a BIG improvement over their King of Trios debut.

Gavok fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 1, 2017

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.
Moustache Mountain are also probably gone soon to be part of WWE's UK thing.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Chikara friggin blows.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Chikara friggin blows.

With all due respect I disagree.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Gavok posted:

Same, especially now that they've gotten their head out of their rear end booking-wise and are back to being fun again.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Gavok posted:

Same.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

National Pro Wrestling Day is Feb 4 at 2pm at the Wrestle Factory in Philadelphia.

The centerpiece of the day will be the Young Lions Cup XIII tournament.

YLC 13 Eliminator #1: Sylverhawk vs Steven Mainz vs Hermit Crab vs The Whisper

YLC 13 Eliminator #2: Space Monkey vs Delmi Exo vs Merlok vs Ashley Vox

YLC 13 Eliminator #3: Cajun Crawdad vs Everett Connors vs Cornelius Crummels vs Razerhawk

YLC 13 Eliminator #4: Travis "Flip" Gordon vs Fly Warrior vs Travis Huckabee vs Sonny Defarge

Non-Tournament Match: Juan Francisco de Coronado vs Dasher Hatfield

Non-Tournament Match: Missile Assault Man vs Race Jaxon

Non-Tournament Tag Match: The Closers (Sloan Caprice & Rick Roland) vs The Force (Officers Barksdale & Meloni)

Non-Tournament Trios Match: The Colony (Fire Ant, Silver Ant, Worker Ant) vs Legion of Rot (Hallowicked, Frightmare, Kobald)

UltraMantis Black addresses the Chikarmy live!

Sylverhawk and Razerhawk are part of a new Silverhawks inspired trio called the Xyberhawx (Sylverhawk, Nyte Hawk, Razerhawk), further showing off Quack's love of old cartoon shows. Huckabee was a referee who didn't have a last name until he graduated from the Wrestle Factory, I guess. Dan Moloney had been announced, but got pulled early. Emperador Azteca was also announced, but has also been pulled. Replacing them are Fly Warrior (another Mexican luchador) and The Whisper. No information is available on Whisper or this Merlok character.

Jay 2K Winger fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 4, 2017

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

National Pro Wrestling Day is tomorrow. It's being held at the Wrestle Factory in Philadelphia, belltime is at 2pm. It's a free event, though they'll be accepting donations for The Superkick Foundation charity.

Chikara will be streaming it through their page on Facebook Live.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

King of Trios is going to be in England this year.

Weak.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Gavok posted:

Weak.

If it helps, I too wish it was in the states.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gavok posted:

Weak.

Bullshit.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

So while last December was the end of Season 16, NPWD was the beginning of Season 18. They're seriously doing a One Year Later on us while gradually releasing Season 17 on Chikaratopia.

As it is right now, UltraMantis Black is the Grand Champion. We just haven't seen him win the title!

:psyduck:

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Gavok posted:

So while last December was the end of Season 16, NPWD was the beginning of Season 18. They're seriously doing a One Year Later on us while gradually releasing Season 17 on Chikaratopia.

As it is right now, UltraMantis Black is the Grand Champion. We just haven't seen him win the title!

oh for fucks sake

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gonna be a lot of confused people when that thread title changes to Season 18

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse
What was that about getting their head out of their asses

Edit: Also, according to a periscope from two weeks ago Condron is opening a wrestling school in California
https://www.periscope.tv/w/1vAxRdBRMqkGl

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

CombineThresher posted:

Same, especially now that they've gotten their head out of their rear end booking-wise and are back to being fun again.

Just quoting this in light of recent developments.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

gently caress you guys, this is AMAZING.

The first few episodes are going up sometime tonight. Apparently, Season 17 is Lost-themed.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Tbf this is much less dumb than their last big dumb thing

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Because this actually had payoff in under a year

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

It's pretty much the opposite direction of Ashes when you look at it. Instead of doing next to nothing for an entire year, we're getting a season's worth of stuff in a small pocket of time.

Plus, considering the massive drop in major players on the roster, this is a good way to soften the blow. They're at least going to be writing off the likes of Kimber Lee and Heidi Lovelace here.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Gavok posted:

gently caress you guys, this is AMAZING.

The first few episodes are going up sometime tonight. Apparently, Season 17 is Lost-themed.

so did they film an entire season of wrestling with no live crowd or gate or anything

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

exploded mummy posted:

so did they film an entire season of wrestling with no live crowd or gate or anything

Oh man, if they film it like those WCW's Dungeon of Doom vignettes!...

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

exploded mummy posted:

Watching it now, there is a fairly full audience at the Wrestlefactory.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Gavok posted:

Wait, I thought his injury was career-ending.

Has that devious insect overlord worked us all?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Gavok posted:

Watching it now, there is a fairly full audience at the Wrestlefactory.

So if it was Lost themed why aren't they trapped on an Island

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

exploded mummy posted:

So if it was Lost themed why aren't they trapped on an Island

They're in Philly which is arguably worse

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Did they really end the feel-good charity benefit "let's all enjoy professional wrestling" show of the year with a career ending injury angle?

Edit: whoops, I read the results in the wrong order.

Alastor_the_Stylish fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 5, 2017

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Did they really end the feel-good charity benefit "let's all enjoy professional wrestling" show of the year with a career ending injury angle?

What does your heart tell you

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

No?

They ended the the show with Space Monkey winning a tournament.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Kobald said one of the ants died. I assume he means Worker Ant?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Gavok posted:

this is absolutely loving stupid

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gavok posted:

So what happens if at the end of season 17, that time traveling knight dude stops UMB from becoming Grand Champion? Does season 18 cease to have ever existed? Do we get Crisis on Infinite Chikaras? Is The Great Khali gonna debut as Doctor Manhattan?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Jerusalem posted:

So what happens if at the end of season 17, that time traveling knight dude stops UMB from becoming Grand Champion? Does season 18 cease to have ever existed? Do we get Crisis on Infinite Chikaras? Is The Great Khali gonna debut as Doctor Manhattan?

A blue Punjabi penis would not be family friendly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
does this mean more archibald peck, because that's all i really care about

• Locked thread