Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It's a slightly modified version of Mentzer's Basic D&D, as far as I can tell. If you like ascending AC, terrible editing (layout? important rules are just loving hidden) and grindcore album cover art, that might be the game for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Also if you want to bother trying to set D&D in "the real world" aka "what I thought the Middle Ages to be like".

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Man just go play WHFRP2E and say you're actually setting it in the HRE.

It'd be about as realistic and less creepy.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

ZeroCount posted:

So I've never looked at LotFP, why would you run it instead of D&D 2E or whatever?

Because you believe it's about ethics in game journalism.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

No that's Adventurer Conqueror King. :v:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

ZeroCount posted:

So I've never looked at LotFP, why would you run it instead of D&D 2E or whatever?

Because you want a game that pretends at being outsider art while still being the same familiar pablum you played as a kid.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also all these Old School games that have tons of 'You failed anyway' adventures annoy me. For all the problems I have with the Path of the Damned adventures that form the 'official' campaign for WHFRP2e? If the players get through them all, they save the southern Empire from a serious threat and likely get rewarded with riches and status as heroes. They have to go through some serious poo poo to do it and there's especially a bunch of balancing problems in the first adventure (It expects the party to take on a bunch of full-plate clad Knights who are 2nd/3rd tier career characters. In a 1st tier adventure. A single one of the knights is actually significantly stronger than the demon who serves as the 'boss' of the adventure) but if they win, they win. Strike a great blow against Chaos and make a grim and perilous world a little better in their wake.

The hell is with peoples' hard on for 'Haha, no you failed' in Old School stuff?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
For the same reason that people still talk in hushed tones about the time their high school gaming group actually beat the Tomb of Horrors. The default assumption back in the day was that an RPG was a zero sum game, the only way you won was if the DM lost, so the DM was encouraged to put in a bunch of gently caress-yous to make sure that never happened.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Well, by no means do you need LotFP to have arbitrary TPK adventures, those are common enough. I feel its main point of differentiation is its pretensions at being mature and challenging art for adults.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
That stuff even spreads beyond the old school. The adventures I have for Pathfinder are very fond of that.

You guys killed some Kobold King and saved a bunch of kids in the process? Turns out all these kids are now messed-up. Expect them to become prostitutes, criminals or necromancers! They will probably try to murder you when they've grown up!

Some evil fey having fun turning a carnival into some kind of Rob Zombie movie? Villagers will be slaughtered all throughout, there's really nothing you can do against that, and the final boss is so strong that you probably need the help from that Drizzt clone we put in here for some reason.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 4, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The problem with mature and challenging adventures for adults is that most people who spend their time writing RPG modules are not very mature.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Too many hadn't grown out of the Hot Topic "Everything's bleak and pointless" nihilism stage or "We're finally allowed to see all the blood and guts without our parents getting mad." Grim, dark is fine, but after a point it's just a fun-sucker.

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

My knowledge of Shadowrun is puddle deep since every game I tried to play of it was awful. :ssh:
To explain, then, until very recently in the Shadowrun timeline Japan had an entire concentration camp island where they shipped off their metahuman population because they hate them that much. There's also a megacorp whose enforcers are samurai that are a sexist men's club willing to (covertly) kill women who attempt to push into their ranks even though it's now almost 2080; this same megacorp also funds mass charity efforts in third world countries while simultaneously talking about how inferior all the non-Japanese are in their backroom talks when the mics are off.

Long story short, Shadowrun Japan is at least as unpleasant a place to be in as the corp part of RIFTS Japan, and maybe even worse.

Robindaybird posted:

the Harebrained Games really is a good translation of the setting and puts the annoying mechanics in the background so they're not in the way of fun (for the most part - fans were split on the changes in the Matrix between Dragonfall and Hong Kong), I found Shadowrun's tabletop rules to be way too unwieldy and there were massive issues like deckers having an almost different game running and the inevitable arguments over tone (Mirror Shades vs Pink Mohawk)
They really are the best thing for experiencing 1E-style Shadowrun. They're in the 2050s, so it's before a lot of the big metaplot shakeups like Dunkelzahn's Will, the Comet babies, Crash 2.0, or the Monads, and at the same time you've got a relatively fast flowing video game that isn't shackled by trying to replicate Shadowrun's ruleset perfectly.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

What edition? First edition would be best for maximum dated predictions about the future and complex math.

It isn't to say Shadowrun was ridiculous in terms of math but it was at that late 80's level of mechanics no game needed to be at.
It would definitely be great to have someone do Shadowrun 1E as an introduction to the game's past, especially for the humor of someone later doing Fifth Edition and having to explain why the hell there are now things like Shadowrunners now using VPN instead of BBS, AI meatpuppets, anthropomorphic animal metahumans, and orxploitation films.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Count Chocula posted:

Rahl Dahl's kinda the opposite, where 90% of his stuff people just kinda pretend isn't full of stuff that would give Clive Barker nightmares even when people are getting morphed into grotesque forms and eaten.

What's the actual difference between Matilda and Carrie, after all?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Darth Various posted:

What's the actual difference between Matilda and Carrie, after all?

Matilda lives.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and the lack of Religious Fundamentalism that lead up to Carrie's particular issues.

EDIT: now I think about it, Carrie is if Mathilda hadn't gotten any sort of support until her late teens.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 4, 2017

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Fossilized Rappy posted:

To explain, then, until very recently in the Shadowrun timeline Japan had an entire concentration camp island where they shipped off their metahuman population because they hate them that much. There's also a megacorp whose enforcers are samurai that are a sexist men's club willing to (covertly) kill women who attempt to push into their ranks even though it's now almost 2080; this same megacorp also funds mass charity efforts in third world countries while simultaneously talking about how inferior all the non-Japanese are in their backroom talks when the mics are off.

IIRC, they go into full Imperial Japan territory. Greater East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere and all that.

I think I also remember the Emperor dying and the new one trying to quietly reform things at some points.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

wiegieman posted:

The problem with mature and challenging adventures for adults is that most people who spend their time writing RPG modules are not very mature.

It's certainly for mature readers, but not really maturely written. It's challenging in an arbitrary sense, not in an intellectual or emotional sense. Its ambitions are only skin-deep.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

SirPhoebos posted:

Someone needs to cover Shadowrun, either here or on System Mastery.

Can I call dibs on a F&F of Shadowrun 4e (and general Shadowrun Lore, I guess)? I've been waffling on doing it for a freaking year, publically calling out that I'm gonna do it might be the push I need to actually write the drat thing.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Edited the earlier post to make the writing suck less.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Crasical posted:

Can I call dibs on a F&F of Shadowrun 4e (and general Shadowrun Lore, I guess)? I've been waffling on doing it for a freaking year, publically calling out that I'm gonna do it might be the push I need to actually write the drat thing.

Shadowrun is such a cool game, it's a shame you have to play Shadowrun to enjoy it (I kid, but the clunk takes a bit of getting used to.)

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

The weird part about LOTFP is that The God That Crawls and Better Than Any Man show that Raggi can actually occasionally write decent set pieces and have interesting ideas (even if he can't stop himself from raggifying them with stuff like the mutilated children in the Mound). He just Can't Stop That Edge and is balls deep in PC vs GM game design.

If you really want to see Peak Raggi, read Death Love Doom. But, don't. Please. For your own sake.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

wiegieman posted:

Shadowrun is such a cool game, it's a shame you have to play Shadowrun to enjoy it (I kid, but the clunk takes a bit of getting used to.)

Shadowrun seems to share the problem with Rifts where it's very much about toys and trying to shift the setting to another, less gear-heavy system would lose some of what makes it appeal to the fanbase. Fiddling with dozens of little widgets to create the optimal Street Sam loadout seems to be a very integral part of the experience that friends of mine who have enjoyed Shadowrun remember. Of course, trying to churn out huge pages of mechanically meaningful but still-balanced gear is extremely hard, and support for ongoing gear upgrades would require continuing to write that kind of crunch.

Some of the Murphys people have posted about SR have been amusing, like the Face with the uber-pistol that fit comfortably in a sleeve or the many faces of the Physical Adept.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

wiegieman posted:

From what I've heard, the explosion rules are just nuts, having you figure out how often the explosion waves or something bounce around and stuff.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

The weird part about LOTFP is that The God That Crawls and Better Than Any Man show that Raggi can actually occasionally write decent set pieces and have interesting ideas (even if he can't stop himself from raggifying them with stuff like the mutilated children in the Mound). He just Can't Stop That Edge and is balls deep in PC vs GM game design.

His Save vs Edge is abysmal.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Fossilized Rappy posted:

Long story short, Shadowrun Japan is at least as unpleasant a place to be in as the corp part of RIFTS Japan, and maybe even worse.

The weird part is that the Republic of Japan is actually... okay to live in! Mostly! Kinda! Certainly better than most cyberpunk settings! I don't get the impression that Patrick Nowak understood the actual themes of cyberpunk and instead a lot of the cyberpunk stuff just ends up being window dressing.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Doresh posted:

From what I've heard, the explosion rules are just nuts, having you figure out how often the explosion waves or something bounce around and stuff.

The old rules for a grenade in a small room were called the Chunky Salsa rules.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

wiegieman posted:

My whole group is in their 30's and 40's, and still giggle when I say "taint"

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Doresh posted:

I don't know about newer editions, but when grenades came out in the 1E Street Samurai Catalog they had a rule where the concussion wave would do damage on the way out based on distance from the explosion. If it hit solid scenery, it would bounce back and do commensurately less damage on the way back in, and so on and so forth, like an old-school lightning bolt that lost energy on each rebound.

The 2E Catalog was almost identical to its predecessor, with the only differences being revised damage codes, and the word 'BANNED' superimposed over the grenade entry.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kurieg posted:

Then BOXD released a bunch of Poisons and Diseases that good people could use because they only worked against Evil people. So it's okay to foul their water supply it's only going to hurt the evil people. Also it's perfectly fine to toss someone into a magical oubliette and torture them for a year until they come around to your moral point of view because you're increasing the net amount of good in the world.

This is a few pages back, but if I'm thinking of the same spell you're thinking of, the evil person isn't locked in a magical oubliette of torture. The evil dude's soul gets sealed in a gem of "NOW SIT IN THE CORNER AND THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU'VE DONE!" And if the soul manages to stay in there for exactly one year (even one day less and the spell fails), their evil alignment shifts to the good equivalent. Basically it's a more expensive and time consuming helm of opposite alignment, but still the same level of lazy bullshit systemizing what should be a significant shift in morality without having to take the time to bother with a compelling redemption arc

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yea, I do think it's meant to be a reform prison on steroids, but it's written so clumsily - while BoVD is full Edgelord nonsense, BoXD has just flatout "Did not think this through"

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I don't know why you'd go for the nice oubliette when you can just give them a helm of opposite alignment.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The thing that always annoyed me about the good vs evil poo poo in 3.5, there's always a giant pile of feats for selling your soul to the gods of evil and getting rewarded for your increasing depths of devotion. But there's no equivalent feat tree for being devoted to the guardinals or whatever. But there ARE tons of really dumb prestige classes, though, like being a "Good assassin but not really an assassin but really actually an assassin".

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Bieeardo posted:

I don't know about newer editions, but when grenades came out in the 1E Street Samurai Catalog they had a rule where the concussion wave would do damage on the way out based on distance from the explosion. If it hit solid scenery, it would bounce back and do commensurately less damage on the way back in, and so on and so forth, like an old-school lightning bolt that lost energy on each rebound.

The 2E Catalog was almost identical to its predecessor, with the only differences being revised damage codes, and the word 'BANNED' superimposed over the grenade entry.
Those are still the 5E rules. 5e rules explicitly say the floor counts as a barrier for those rules and grenades now require a static number of hits by the attacker to guarantee they land exactly where the attacker wants, no dodge allowed, so grenades are unbelievably lethal now.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Gobbeldygook posted:

Those are still the 5E rules. 5e rules explicitly say the floor counts as a barrier for those rules and grenades now require a static number of hits by the attacker to guarantee they land exactly where the attacker wants, no dodge allowed, so grenades are unbelievably lethal now.

You won't believe how effective a vampire with immunity to toxins and a bandolier of 100 nuyen gas grenades can be.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I have no idea what the appeal of shadowrun is. The setting is a mess of stuff that doesn't work together and everyone hates the system. Is cyberpunk 2020 that bad?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

rumble in the bunghole posted:

I have no idea what the appeal of shadowrun is. The setting is a mess of stuff that doesn't work together and everyone hates the system. Is cyberpunk 2020 that bad?

I really like the setting but I also have unironically read crossover fanfiction and liked it so maybe I just have bad taste.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

rumble in the bunghole posted:

I don't know why you'd go for the nice oubliette when you can just give them a helm of opposite alignment.

You know, the helm of opposite alignment is actually more optimal in every way since it's instantaneous and doesn't require a 10,000 gp diamond and the sacrifice of one character level like the spell does.

Kurieg posted:

The thing that always annoyed me about the good vs evil poo poo in 3.5, there's always a giant pile of feats for selling your soul to the gods of evil and getting rewarded for your increasing depths of devotion. But there's no equivalent feat tree for being devoted to the guardinals or whatever. But there ARE tons of really dumb prestige classes, though, like being a "Good assassin but not really an assassin but really actually an assassin".

The BoED tried to do stuff like that... sort of, with the Vow feats. Except it turns out that things like the "Vow of Abstinence", "Vow of Chastity", "Vow of Nonviolence", "Vow of Obedience", "Vow of Poverty", and "Vow of Purity" really, really don't work well in Dungeons and Dragons. (It didn't help that the only one which was halfway decent was the poverty one, but even that didn't make up for giving up all your gear.)

Robindaybird posted:

Yea, I do think it's meant to be a reform prison on steroids, but it's written so clumsily - while BoVD is full Edgelord nonsense, BoXD has just flatout "Did not think this through"

Oh god yes, the Book of Vile Darkness was so horrific. I wonder what could have possibly made people think poo poo like the "lichloved" feat and a sample villain whose entire gimmick is walking around with half-starved children chained to him that die when the PCs start hitting him were good ideas?

Wait...

Motherfucker

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

The BoED tried to do stuff like that... sort of, with the Vow feats. Except it turns out that things like the "Vow of Abstinence", "Vow of Chastity", "Vow of Nonviolence", "Vow of Obedience", "Vow of Poverty", and "Vow of Purity" really, really don't work well in Dungeons and Dragons. (It didn't help that the only one which was halfway decent was the poverty one, but even that didn't make up for giving up all your gear.)
The vow feats punished you. The evil devotion feats just rewarded you straight up because they're evil only feats which means PCs don't have access to them.

quote:

Motherfucker

DO YOU HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE TO GRASP THE OBISIDAN CUBE ROTTING LICH DICK!?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kurieg posted:

The vow feats punished you. The evil devotion feats just rewarded you straight up because they're evil only feats which means PCs don't have access to them.

I think, in theory, the bonuses provided by the sacred vows were supposed to weigh evenly against the thing you're giving up, but it this failed because of how wrongheaded the execution was on every imaginable level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

What did Chastity and Abstinence give you?