Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
I think there's probably a lot of room for that kind of retrospective about Fabio Maldonado

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
So, I have a question. Where and when did the tradition of combat sports on New Year's Eve start? A little Googling tells me that it probably started with puro, but I'd be curious if someone knowledgeable had any other details and maybe some stories of NYE fight cards past...

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Thanks, that's what I was thinking of!

Memento posted:

This is the pro-est of clicks even if you've read it before.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

The Kins posted:

So, I have a question. Where and when did the tradition of combat sports on New Year's Eve start? A little Googling tells me that it probably started with puro, but I'd be curious if someone knowledgeable had any other details and maybe some stories of NYE fight cards past...
I think it all started with Antonio Inoki's Inoki Bom-Ba-Ye in 2000. That show was shoot-style puro matches with a lot of MMA guys (Rutten was one), but it did really well at the gate and on PPV, proving that a fight show could compete with the usual NYE event shows in Japan. The following year's show was a mix of worked and shoot matches, and did even better. Then PRIDE started competing with them on NYE, and basically took it over.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 9, 2017

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

I'm currently not doing much of anything after having hip surgery, and I thought now might be a good time to ask some questions about striking.

I've been watching UFC since 116 and I still don't have a very good handle on understanding/observing the striking. With grappling things seem a bit slower and I know what to look for.
Or you can see someone slowly working a hand or leg into an advantageous position and once it's there they're in a stronger position.

When I watch striking I'll feel confident one of the two fighters won standing and then I'll read posts from people that know more than I do about how it was the other way around and the judges will have it that way too. I just feel like I'm not catching anything I'm supposed to be.

Are there videos that start breaking down the basics of what I should watch? Just trying to expand my knowledge a bit.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

moctopus posted:

I'm currently not doing much of anything after having hip surgery, and I thought now might be a good time to ask some questions about striking.

I've been watching UFC since 116 and I still don't have a very good handle on understanding/observing the striking. With grappling things seem a bit slower and I know what to look for.
Or you can see someone slowly working a hand or leg into an advantageous position and once it's there they're in a stronger position.

When I watch striking I'll feel confident one of the two fighters won standing and then I'll read posts from people that know more than I do about how it was the other way around and the judges will have it that way too. I just feel like I'm not catching anything I'm supposed to be.

Are there videos that start breaking down the basics of what I should watch? Just trying to expand my knowledge a bit.

Jack slack writes for fightland and breaks down nearly every ufc card pointing out awesome poo poo people do and has accompanying gifs. Check that out. Also Lawrence kenshin youtube channel is another good striking breakdown service. Enjoy.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Thanks so much!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I second Jack Slack. He taught me a great deal.

Other options:

1) Take a couple striking classes, boxing, kickboxing, muay thai, these would all work. It will open your eyes.

2) Find a good fight with a lot of dynamic striking. Now watch it, repeatedly, in slow motion. If you can't see exactly if/how every individual punch landed, you need to watch it more.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
If you like the Lawrence Kenshin videos, I'd recommend LeeWylie on youtube.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

vainman posted:

If you like the Lawrence Kenshin videos, I'd recommend LeeWylie on youtube.

thanks for this

also, i'd like to second the take a striking class or two suggestion. actively being really bad at something gives what you're seeing context.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Marching Powder posted:

thanks for this

also, i'd like to second the take a striking class or two suggestion. actively being really bad at something gives what you're seeing context.

I have a keen eye for good posting for that very reason.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

hell, same brudda

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I have a question -

Marching Powder, where the gently caress is your profile gif from? It looks and feels British.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Captain Log posted:

I have a question -

Marching Powder, where the gently caress is your profile gif from? It looks and feels British.

i would have guessed eastern european. it was bought for me by angry gbs people who argue with money and i kind of like it so i'm keeping it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Marching Powder posted:

i would have guessed eastern european. it was bought for me by angry gbs people who argue with money and i kind of like it so i'm keeping it.

Oh my friend, England has many chavs. But looking at that building I see your angle.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afP71xwLI8Y

It's Russian

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Owns.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

You're incredible. Thanks!

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
For anyone that wants to get in touch with me in the future - I'm fatherdog on twitter and gmail. Peace.

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA

fatherdog posted:

For anyone that wants to get in touch with me in the future - I'm fatherdog on twitter and gmail. Peace.
Wait what are you leaving? I'll miss you, take care!

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

fatherdog posted:

we will miss you on your journey back to your rome planet

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Guys we lost our punch sport overlord.

Wtf is even happening?

Vitamin Boss
Oct 23, 2006
Burn it to the ground
arghh, dangit

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Vitamin Boss posted:

arghh, dangit

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Vitamin Boss posted:

arghh, dangit

Wait, do we only have pro wrestling mods now?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I have good news, and bad news.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Dan Didio posted:

I have good news, and bad news.

Bad news first... wait... is Atom the new mod?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh man Fatherdog you were a good mod rest in peace.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I don't know much about MMA but in terms of moderation the principles are pretty universal. I'll keep an eye on what is going on and if any of you have issues PM me or use the Report button and I'll help out.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I don't know much about MMA but in terms of moderation the principles are pretty universal. I'll keep an eye on what is going on and if any of you have issues PM me or use the Report button and I'll help out.

probably like 2 people were probated in the mma chat thread in the last year so i wouldn't worry too much about it

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
And the toxx gimmicks.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah people will report themselves if they've toxx'd on the outcome of a fight, and there's less and less of those all the time so it's not a big deal.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

You're a solid poster - good to have you man.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jerusalem posted:

Hell yeah J-RU!

Is your moderation style going to be strictly buy/bust or are you going to try and get a warrant to get a wire tap?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hey, so, I'm not really knowledgeable about fighting at all, but I was wondering: do people use the arms to strike very much? Like, I'm envisioning a karate chop without the hand. I can't find a name for what that'd be though or anything talking about it, so maybe I'm missing something about the science and there's a very good reason people only use their hands.

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA

WickedHate posted:

Hey, so, I'm not really knowledgeable about fighting at all, but I was wondering: do people use the arms to strike very much? Like, I'm envisioning a karate chop without the hand. I can't find a name for what that'd be though or anything talking about it, so maybe I'm missing something about the science and there's a very good reason people only use their hands.
Elbow and forearm strikes are things that happen, yes. Usually in the clinch or on the ground, but you won't usually see the karate chop motion, they generally throw from the shoulder and forwards (unless they're doing spinning poo poo). The closest thing to a karate chop would be the hammerfist, I guess, which is basically a karate chop only you have your fist balled up.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

WickedHate posted:

so maybe I'm missing something about the science and there's a very good reason people only use their hands.

Hands are at the end of your arms, so you get the most range hitting with them, which is the dominant reason why they're used. Fro some strikes, the hand is also the part of the arm that's moving the fastest, which can impart more energy (and thus damage) to the target. Elbow and knees strikes can look vicious, but they're frequently moving much slower than a fist. Elbows are still effective because the elbow is bony and can concentrate force better, often leading to cuts.

Forearms are used defensively from clinch and close ranges to shield from strikes and to shove off the opponent to make space.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
In Pancrase they didn't have wraps or gloves and it was illegal to strike the head with a closed fist, but open-hand slaps were legal. Bas Rutten figured out that with an open hand he could still strike with the bony part of his wrist, and it was almost as good as punching. But that was a way to work around Pancrase's stupid rules, and not something you would do in any other context.

kimbo305 posted:

Elbows are still effective because the elbow is bony and can concentrate force better, often leading to cuts.

Also MMA fights frequently go to positions on the ground or in the clinch where the distance is too close to punch effectively, while elbows can be throw effectively in very short distances. In addition I think elbows are very seldom used in sparring because it's difficult to practice them safely (you don't want to slice up your sparring partner's face), so most fighters don't have a lot of practice either throwing or defending against elbows. This is an advantage for fighters who are really good with them, because they can catch opponents by surprise. Travis Browne's KO wins over Gonzaga and Barnett are a great example. He figured out how to throw really hard elbows to the head while defending a single leg against the cage, which is ordinarily a position where the grappler is pretty safe from strikes.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Thanks yall. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Schenck v. U.S. posted:

In Pancrase they didn't have wraps or gloves and it was illegal to strike the head with a closed fist, but open-hand slaps were legal. Bas Rutten figured out that with an open hand he could still strike with the bony part of his wrist, and it was almost as good as punching. But that was a way to work around Pancrase's stupid rules, and not something you would do in any other context.

Pancrase was worked more often than not.