Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

So I finally killed it, took 7 mega potions because the thing would leap across the entire area about 2 frames before I finished the flexing animation (but after it took the potion from my inventory,) electrocute me, then kick 1/2 of my health right back down before I could even move or dodge or anything. That's not fun to me.

You say these early monsters are uncommonly fast? I loving hope so because if this poo poo continues I'm just going to stop playing the game. I'm fine with difficult and need to use strategic moments to heal, but I should at least be given half a chance to run away and heal but this fucker can cross the entire area in the time it takes me to finish the potion, even if he was doing something else entirely (usually beating on one of my cats) when I started the animation. Also how the gently caress do you stop a monster from fleeing and jumping like 3 areas whenever he gets to low health? I can't move fast enough to get ahead of him and just hitting his tail doesn't seem to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

shortspecialbus posted:

So I finally killed it, took 7 mega potions because the thing would leap across the entire area about 2 frames before I finished the flexing animation (but after it took the potion from my inventory,) electrocute me, then kick 1/2 of my health right back down before I could even move or dodge or anything. That's not fun to me.

You say these early monsters are uncommonly fast? I loving hope so because if this poo poo continues I'm just going to stop playing the game. I'm fine with difficult and need to use strategic moments to heal, but I should at least be given half a chance to run away and heal but this fucker can cross the entire area in the time it takes me to finish the potion, even if he was doing something else entirely (usually beating on one of my cats) when I started the animation. Also how the gently caress do you stop a monster from fleeing and jumping like 3 areas whenever he gets to low health? I can't move fast enough to get ahead of him and just hitting his tail doesn't seem to help.

You can't really stop them from fleeing, just paint bomb them so you know where to go. You should sharpen whenever you can, actually, and the monster switching areas is a great opportunity to do so, as well as heal up, take a breather, gather any nodes you may have spotted during the fight, then go Hunt that Monster. As soon as you drop from the highest tier of sharpness your weapon has available, you should probably sharpen as soon as you can, since every tier or color of sharpness you lose drops your damage output significantly. The only exception would be some weapons that have a thin 1 pixel sliver which is basically 5 hits. You want to sharpen whenever you can on those, but maybe not constantly.

It shouldn't take more than a couple hits to kill the little guys, either, so maybe you can upgrade your weapon? You can usually ignore little guys since they'll generally just die to the monster or to stray swings anyway, but if you're having problems with them go right ahead and clear them out. -preys are again another slight exception with their respective -drome since they have a call that will summon more of them out, and some areas naturally have spawn points that will spawn a few waves of them. If you're really mad you could try to activate the Flame Aura skill, since that will keep those things away from you, but it's definitely not worth it.

Try getting to the big monsters before you quit the game, at least, since -dromes aren't very representative of the Monster Hunter Experience TM.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

You can just leave the area, heal and come back, anyway. You don't need to do it in front of them. And honestly that's usually a terrible idea.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Elman posted:

You can just leave the area, heal and come back, anyway. You don't need to do it in front of them. And honestly that's usually a terrible idea.

I was under the impression from something in the tutorial that if I left the area, they would regain a large portion of their health. Is that not the case? Because I'm fine doing that and then my whining is for naught.

Edit: I'm using an unupgraded bone hunting horn as I don't have the materials to upgrade anything. I looked around in MHGen on my phone and am planning to move towards a Metal Bagpipes because it seems hilarious, so I'm working on figuring out how the hell to get the materials to build that thing. I know what monsters, I guess, but not how to find them.

I think I am missing something about how to plan to upgrade stuff, when to upgrade, when to build, etc etc. This is the first game in the series I've played, and I'm only on page 2 of the 2* quests.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

shortspecialbus posted:

I was under the impression from something in the tutorial that if I left the area, they would regain a large portion of their health. Is that not the case? Because I'm fine doing that and then my whining is for naught.

They gain stamina by eating (they're slower and less aggressive when they're tired). They can only heal by sleeping though, which they'll only do after their HP is really low and they start limping away.

So yeah, it's fine to walk away and heal as long as you keep a paintball on them.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Ah, ok. That's fine, I've been paintballing them anyways, I just thought anytime I left they'd heal like 2/3 of their health or some poo poo - the tutorial says "NEVER LET THEM LEAVE THE SCREEN AT ANY COST!" or some such, or maybe I just misinterpreted.

I can deal with that.

Is there a good guide on what I should be doing armor/weaponwise early game with plans for using primarly the HH? I can only find late-game advice on what horns are best and stuff, and the armor is just outright confusing on what bonuses are worth it and how they compound etc.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Yeah, the 'dromes will absolutely jump at you and smack you down easier than other monsters. My recommendation: bump up your defense if you can, but the main method of avoiding 'drome damage is just don't be in front of them. If they're looking at you, chances are you're going to get snapped at or jumped at in the very near future, so just run right or left in an attempt to flank. You'll be able to get a hit or two in like this until they get bored, then they focus on a cat, which is where you can go to town more effectively.

And they DO heal by sleeping, but even that is just a drop in the bucket as far as total health is concerned. Even a sleep long enough for you to gather more Herbs, Blue Mushrooms, and Honey to fully restock on Mega Potions is only a handful of hits' worth. Once you

you'll basically never have to, but long extended fights where you scrabble at the ground for what healing items you can scrounge is an important part of the learning experience. Remember, humans take down other ultrapredators through endurance, not being tough-rear end motherfuckers.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

That's terrible advice! Who would listen to that?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

shortspecialbus posted:

Is there a good guide on what I should be doing armor/weaponwise early game with plans for using primarly the HH? I can only find late-game advice on what horns are best and stuff, and the armor is just outright confusing on what bonuses are worth it and how they compound etc.

Armor is based primarily on what skills it has, with armor value and elemental resistances being distant seconds. For Hunting Horn you should aim for a skill called Maestro, which increases the duration of your songs.

For early game, a good generic armor set is BuJaBuJaBu (Bullfango head, arms, boots, and Jaggi chest, and waist). With some additional gems you can get +20 Attack to get the Attack Up (L) skill.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me

I am cracking the gently caress up at the "Cruelty Free" label.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Neo_Crimson posted:

Armor is based primarily on what skills it has, with armor value and elemental resistances being distant seconds. For Hunting Horn you should aim for a skill called Maestro, which increases the duration of your songs.

For early game, a good generic armor set is BuJaBuJaBu (Bullfango head, arms, boots, and Jaggi chest, and waist). With some additional gems you can get +20 Attack to get the Attack Up (L) skill.

Ok.

I've been saving my armor spheres or whatever until I had some concept of what I wanted for armor. I'm going to have to look up Gems and whatever "Attack Up (L)" is and how it relates to armor. Thanks for the pointer!

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

It's definitely smarter to move to another zone to heal if you have the option, but even if you don't (like later on when a hunt takes place in a single arena) you don't want to run away from the monster, because they're all faster than you. Instead you want to run around it and try to bait out a slow attack, so you can dodge it and drink while the monster is stuck in the followthrough.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

shortspecialbus posted:

That's terrible advice! Who would listen to that?

It is horrible advice, but it's actually honest. You will get good, you'll click with a certain weapon, ect. AUsed to be my brother and I would falter in mh3u agonst low rank monsters, now we can handle poo poo rather well first go in the newer games. It just happens.

Anyway, I'd actually suggest playing some different weapons in guild style to syart with. If you went aerial against something that's destroying you for it, you should know how to fight normally. I guess.

Though I don't think I ever want to play the gunner or bow weapons without hunting styles ever again.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Some small footage of the Monster Hunter Movie was found in this demo real:

https://youtu.be/70b9H12sGcY?t=2m37s

Some more at ~3:30 although it's still a Gore Magala and Rathalos fighting in a shopping mall.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Freeing my post

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Some small footage of the Monster Hunter Movie was found in this demo real:

https://youtu.be/70b9H12sGcY?t=2m37s

Some more at ~3:30 although it's still a Gore Magala and Rathalos fighting in a shopping mall.

This is going to be the worst.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I wish the people that tried to make movies about video games gave even an eighth of a poo poo about the source material. It can't be that hard, can it? To find a writer who has at least a passing knowledge of the thing they're supposed to be making a loving movie about? I mean, there's got to be at least 1 MonHun fiend working somewhere in Hollywood, right?

This is going to be a Mario Brothers level flop, though. No one who actually plays MH is going to care about it and all the consuming public is going to see is an extremely generic action fantasy movie.

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 4, 2017

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

How do you deal with stunlocks? This Bulldrome is just stunlocking me to death, smashing me over and then repeating it as I get up. I went Adept HH and I can't even get a dodge off before he smashes me back down mid-getting up animation. I've beaten a couple of them but I tend to die at least twice going from full health to 0 health without getting to do a single thing.

Is there any way to break out of that? Or is it basically just game over in that sort of a stunlock?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Bulldrome is a pain in the rear end, but he follows very specific rules and has the lowest health of any big monster. The ridiculous level of tracking on his attacks can be a problem. Generally he'll turn twice then charge, unless he's enraged, then it's just one turn IIRC. Look for confirmed openings you can capitalize on, and don't overextend.

Also, protip, you're invincible as long as you're flat on your back after getting knocked down. Don't wiggle to get up too fast if you think he's about to charge you again.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

shortspecialbus posted:

This is an awesome post because you'll look back on all this and feel like a badass if you stick with the game. This post is how everybody feels when they start. Great Jaggies look impossible and then the next week you're crushing them in seconds without being hit once.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

shortspecialbus posted:

DROMES AAAAHHH

See Capcom, your lovely old dromes are actively turning off new players from the game :argh:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Sprite141 posted:

It is horrible advice, but it's actually honest.

He was quoting the game :ssh:

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Chronojam posted:

This is an awesome post because you'll look back on all this and feel like a badass if you stick with the game. This post is how everybody feels when they start. Great Jaggies look impossible and then the next week you're crushing them in seconds without being hit once.

Just to reiterate this point, when I started a few years ago with a copy of 3U that a friend bought me, Great Jaggi was a massive pain and I failed capturing Arzuros half a dozen times. This series is all about feeling increasingly powerful and skilled. It's very rewarding. If you stick with it, you'll be utterly amazed and baffled how such things gave you any trouble.

BMan posted:

See Capcom, your lovely old dromes are actively turning off new players from the game :argh:

This is also true, however. Bring back Jaggi/Wroggi/Baggi! :argh:

Ziddar fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 4, 2017

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Remove Dromes forever, IMO

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I mean, I haven't outright lost against a Bulldrome yet, but I've gotten knocked out a bunch and I've felt pretty helpless about it. I'm still able to beat them so it's more just frustration and confusion than BAD GAME or something.

The "stay down" is good - didn't know I could do that, much less have it hold invincibility. That's a pretty easy way to prevent a stunlock I would imagine, I just need to remember to not hamfist the controller. I think that would have solved my problem with that rear end in a top hat Jaggie or whatever the heck it was electro-stunlocking me as well.

I think part of the problem is that I'm still feeling out some mechanics and the controls and these early monsters are just so loving fast that I barely have time to register whatever they're doing before I get smacked around. I'm sure I'll get better at the whole thing and learn that there ARE patterns and indicators of what's coming next rather than just seeing a lot of poo poo happening really fast if I can avoid putting a couple .223 rounds through my 3DS.

Edit: The whole thing was reminding me of playing fighting games with a couple of my friends back in high school in the 90's where there were infinite combos still. I never played them that much and would do kind of an advanced button mash strategy where I knew some moves and a few basic combos, but they'd play a poo poo TON and knew all the ridiculous combos. So they would always promise to not just infinite combo me. That'd last for like 2 rounds and then they'd just get me in some infinite combo. It was reminding me of that crap. I'd get a bunch of hits in on the Bulldrome (or the other one, Gendrome?) and I'd feel "ok this could go alright" and then boom, stunlock.

ssb fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 4, 2017

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Great Jaggi Gendrome? mostly jump away from you and hiss, and if you move away from directly in front of them they miss every time.

e: I should learn the difference between dromes and greats, but honestly I've always thought the only real difference is the radical crest.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Feb 4, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

shortspecialbus posted:

I think part of the problem is that I'm still feeling out some mechanics and the controls and these early monsters are just so loving fast that I barely have time to register whatever they're doing before I get smacked around. I'm sure I'll get better at the whole thing and learn that there ARE patterns and indicators of what's coming next rather than just seeing a lot of poo poo happening really fast if I can avoid putting a couple .223 rounds through my 3DS.

I was complaining about exactly the same thing back when I was starting, and although I'm a lot better at the game now that I've now put hundreds of hours into the games I still think that they chose the worst monsters possible (out of the "easy" ones) to start you out with.

The -dromes are some of the quickest monsters, they have a bad habit of constantly jumping (especially Gendrome loves to jump back after every attack making it super frustrating to hit) and they have small monsters helping them out.

I still maintain that Arzuros is the perfect starting monsters. Slow, predictable attacks, couple of tricks up his sleeve, big enough to hit reliably. Goofy bear. :colbert: I nearly quit playing the game because of all the -dromes, because it just felt frustrating rather than fun. Then I fought monsters like Arzuros and the bigger ones and it was like "oh... so this is what the game is actually like".

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012
I want to thank whoever mentioned the special attack button to activate the Lance charge. I can now live my dream of charge jumping. No one expects guild lances!

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
Monster Hunter for the Nintendo Switch is the only thing preventing me from going out and preordering right now. Make it happen, Capcom.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Morton Salt Grrl posted:

Monster Hunter for the Nintendo Switch is the only thing preventing me from going out and preordering right now. Make it happen, Capcom.

Have patience, these things take time. They'll probably need about a year to make high quality assets upscale all the textures.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cicadas! posted:

Have patience, these things take time. They'll probably need about a year to make high quality assets upscale all the textures write cat puns and sarcastic dialogue.

:yeah:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Morton Salt Grrl posted:

The other thing preventing you is that preorders are sold out pretty much everywhere.

If they haven't announced it by now, then they're either saving it for E3 or Capcom is moving to a different platform >_>

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

cancerianmoth posted:

I want to thank whoever mentioned the special attack button to activate the Lance charge. I can now live my dream of charge jumping. No one expects guild lances!

Now set the special attack button to the Start button.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

deadly_pudding posted:

The other thing preventing you is that preorders are sold out pretty much everywhere.

If they haven't announced it by now, then they're either saving it for E3 or Capcom is moving to a different platform >_>

pc monhun in the west when

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

I dont know why they went back to dromes for the starting monsters. The great jaggis/baggi/wroggi are superior for the reasons stated above and are more fun to fight to boot. it looks like great jaggis new purpose is to serve as glass Joe in the training arena

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
It was because the game was a huge nostalgia trip for people that played the early games. That's why it's called generations in the US. Hopefully MH5 doesn't have a lot of these lovely gen1 monsters or at least rework them somehow.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

It was because the game was a huge nostalgia trip for people that played the early games. That's why it's called generations in the US. Hopefully MH5 doesn't have a lot of these lovely gen1 monsters or at least rework them somehow.

That doesn't explain why they were in MH4U...

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Mh4 was all about bringing back old monsters after their absence from third gen

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
So the last time I played a MH was on the PSP. I saw there were two "new" ones for the 3Ds ranged a year apart. Is there a benefit to picking up 4U over Generations? I snagged a 2DS from a coworker for cheap and was looking to get back into the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Stringbean posted:

So the last time I played a MH was on the PSP. I saw there were two "new" ones for the 3Ds ranged a year apart. Is there a benefit to picking up 4U over Generations? I snagged a 2DS from a coworker for cheap and was looking to get back into the series.

Not really? I just got into HR in Gen and it seems the same monsters are popping up in there that were in 4U. Well, with the exception of the Jaggi/Wroggi family as has been mentioned. You can still get their equipment though. Personally, I love the hunter styles- it makes playing things that I wasn't a fan of (LNC/CB/SnS) much more enjoyable.

bbcisdabomb posted:

Now set the special attack button to the Start button.

I might do that- though doesn't it already have a function? I don't mind the on screen button since I'm already using it for the d-pad (Old 3DSXL)

• Locked thread