Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
... The coal poo poo. How the gently caress does someone get to that point of stupid?

Edit - Wait, she thinks the Berkeley stuff was racism against white people? She can't actually think that's what it was...

Super Deuce fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Gimmedaroot posted:

Another disappointing episode, but hell...Maher still doesn't understand the difference between booing and the crowd saying "oooo" as in :iceburn: when a joke cuts hard. Its a loving compliment, but he starts cursing out the audience:"oh gently caress you, don't start with me", and "liberals are so loving sensitive". Even as kids, if you are putting down each other or making jokes on the playground, we knew the loving difference. You start to look as infantile as Trump when you curse out your own audience who isn't even against you because you are that sensitive.

Yeah, it's honestly getting loving annoying.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

ExiledTinkerer posted:

So...it WAS essentially a Trump stacked panel by virtue of nobody thoroughly shutting down Grover, who shouldn't even be there

Bill or his staff really need to do a better job researching the positions and claims of the guests ahead of time. Grover tried to claim the national debt was, at least partly, due to FICA and Medicare. All Bill had to do was spend one sentence explaining the difference between payroll tax and income tax to shut him down.

Also Grover's hero Ronald Reagan raised taxes eleven times while still tripling deficit spending.

Either Grover isn't a tax expert like he thinks or he's just a liar.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Former Human posted:

Bill or his staff really need to do a better job researching the positions and claims of the guests ahead of time. Grover tried to claim the national debt was, at least partly, due to FICA and Medicare. All Bill had to do was spend one sentence explaining the difference between payroll tax and income tax to shut him down.

Also Grover's hero Ronald Reagan raised taxes eleven times while still tripling deficit spending.

Either Grover isn't a tax expert like he thinks or he's just a liar.

Well, Bill did point out that Reagan tripled the debt, so he didn't totally let him get away with his bullshit.

And of course Grover's a liar. He's been dealing with people who point out these inconvenient facts for years (decades even, probably) and he still tries to pull the same bullshit every single time.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Mr Interweb posted:

Don't really have much to say about tonight's episode aside from the fact that Tomi barely said a word all throughout

She got more of her rhetoric out there on Overtime and it's as bad as you'd think. Super condescending and confrontational and smug.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Former Human posted:

Super condescending and confrontational and smug.

Bizarro Maher?

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

He's smug but with some funny and interesting things to say. She's a republican black hole.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
I'm pretty sure Bill's town hall with Van Jones is on CNN an hour before Real Time tonight.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
On the one hand, I'm okay with Tomi not getting to say much because I know pretty much anything she says is going to be garbage at best, white noise at worst.

On the other hand, watching Bill and the other guy just talk over her and not let her get a word in was kind of like watching them repeatedly smack her in the face with their dicks.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I think it had more to do with the fact that Tomi was surrounded by people smarter and/or having more life experience than her. I guess she felt a bit intimidated or was at least smart enough to know not to add any more white noise/garbage than she already had. Isn't her show just consisting of her speaking into a camera alone?

I continue to watch this shitpile out of some sort of duty or for some masochistic effect. I got much more mental nourishment watching Jimmy Dore's recent interview with Mark Blyth for 35-40 minutes (nice when a host asks a question and then stands back, instead of interrupting or derailing the discussion with a lame joke) than I did watching any 35-40 minute Real Time panel discussion in the last xx shows.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
why hasn't piers morgan been dissolved in a vat of acid yet

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Because HBOGo doesn't let you watch certain shows live, I'm watching Overtime first... but what the gently caress is this poo poo about not being able to talk about politics if you're an athlete or actor? Why is Bill agreeing with that? Like, okay, you get annoyed by it. Who cares. Don't watch it. Then to say it doesn't help... okay, so we should ignore it because if we get upset, Trump voters will like it more? That 4chan "le troll" attitude is the loving worst. It's political "u mad", and literally anybody who says that poo poo is retarded.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Cultural resentment is what won Trump the election, I think is the logic there. SNL and Sean Penn shut their yaps and a Democrat wins in 2020. Bill Maher is a emotional, lizard brained retard on some things like our boomer parents.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

The Muppets On PCP posted:

why hasn't piers morgan been dissolved in a vat of acid yet

So Jim Jefferies could get that amazing dunk on him tonight.

Super Deuce posted:

but what the gently caress is this poo poo about not being able to talk about politics if you're an athlete or actor?

Bill's still sore about Ben Affleck calling him out so publicly and successfully on his Islamophobia.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 11, 2017

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So Jim Jefferies could get that amazing dunk on him tonight.

Bill's still sore about Ben Affleck calling him out so publicly and successfully on his Islamophobia.

Well, except for Ben Affleck being wrong, I guess.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Super Deuce posted:

Well, except for Ben Affleck being wrong, I guess.

Yeah this is how I took it, it looked like he had such a boner to yell out "I'm not racist" before he actually listened to what they were trying to say. I agree when he says that as liberals we should disagree with anyone who tells a woman to cover their face. That poo poo is insane and at that point I don't mind if I offend some crazy religious person.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtDOqNlgoOE

Does Bill know what "lesser of two evils" means?

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
That was curious. I thought he said the opposite of what he meant at first, but maybe he meant relating to the electability argument in the primary as well? Like. People who argued that as a reason to not run Bernie, then causing those disenfranchised voters to not want to support the candidate with that rhetoric? But it seemed more like he said the opposite of what he meant.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I think he just meant that he doesn't consider her an "evil" at all, lesser or otherwise.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Piers Morgan was absolutely insufferable on every subject except guns. It's not just that he was wrong 90% of the time but he also wouldn't shut up and let anyone respond.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

punk rebel ecks posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtDOqNlgoOE

Does Bill know what "lesser of two evils" means?

drat. He really hates Piers.:lol:

This exchange almost made having Piers on the panel worth it.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
It isn't a proper return or new season of Real Time until you get that first palpable moment where somebody comes within inches of punching a panelist square in the throat---a brief glimmer of hope. If only the Australian comedian had been slightly closer on the orientation of the new table...

Maher needs to get off this stupid point, among others, of puffing up damned Bush and Romney---that kind of idiocy is way more detrimental than the contrived outrage machinations of celebrities and athletes shooting the breeze.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Origami Dali posted:

I think he just meant that he doesn't consider her an "evil" at all, lesser or otherwise.

That's fine, but his argument still doesn't make sense. If I had to choose between a status quo politician and Hitler, it's fine of me to dislike both of them, while obviously voting for the former in a heartbeat.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Wasn't that douchebag Milo supposed to be on this week?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mr Interweb posted:

Wasn't that douchebag Milo supposed to be on this week?

Bill just said they booked him in the future without a date.

Piers and JK Rowling are in some feud now over his appearance last night.:lol:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

SeANMcBAY posted:

Bill just said they booked him in the future without a date.

Piers and JK Rowling are in some feud now over his appearance last night.:lol:

The feud was just JK Rowling tweeting about how satisfying it was to see Piers being told to gently caress off on live TV (a thing which no reasonable person can possibly disagree with, IMHO), and then Piers being a petulant little twat about it like he always is, with a side-dish of being a smug rear end in a top hat who considers himself too good for popular media like Harry Potter and Star Wars.

He could use another punch in the face, is Clarkson available?

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

PT6A posted:

The feud was just JK Rowling tweeting about how satisfying it was to see Piers being told to gently caress off on live TV (a thing which no reasonable person can possibly disagree with, IMHO), and then Piers being a petulant little twat about it like he always is, with a side-dish of being a smug rear end in a top hat who considers himself too good for popular media like Harry Potter and Star Wars.

He could use another punch in the face, is Clarkson available?

That's what we need. Jeremy goddamnned Clarkson on an episode. Bonus points if they could say have Adam Corolla or some other car ish person for either awkwardness or buddying up. Cranky old out of touch men who more or less are Archie Bunkers of the 2010s. :precious: Ben Stein could be fun for a full Rightie version. Or terminally dull.

Course Maher pretty much is that with his own stupid biases and crazy poo poo. I'm not sure who he hates more. Muslims, Dairy producers, college liberals, or Catholics. Still for political yelling at each other the show is about as good as it can possibly be these days. (Not saying much.)

Hooray modern politics getting more and more partisan to the point of bad comedy I guess? Can we just blame Limbaugh for getting the idiot train into Japanese Bullet Train mode?

firebeats
May 8, 2016

Super Deuce posted:

Democrats lose because people are stupid. That's the only reason. Our population is too stupid to understand anything. Let's stop trying to assume it's any other reason. We have 60 million voters in this country that shouldn't be allowed to cut their own food with a knife because of how dumb they are.

"Working class". Rofl, that's such bullshit and you know it.

The next 8 years are going to be very long

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Piers Morgan should not be allowed on TV without someone interjecting "gently caress off" every time he finishes a sentence.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

precision posted:

Piers Morgan should not be allowed on TV without someone interjecting "gently caress off" every time he finishes a sentence.

No, there should be a Clarkson-in-a-Box in front of him and *then* every time he finishes a sentence, the puppet bops him in the face and says "gently caress off, y'oval office."

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

precision posted:

I think this is something that we can truly get bipartisan support around.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

firebeats posted:

So, since you said 8 years, I can assume you think being mean to people who voted for President Trump is a bad idea. A campaign whose only positive message (as there were very, very minimal policies, each of which xenophobic) to any non-bigot, was its anti-pc stance. We, for some reason, have to be pc towards bigots who claim pc culture has poisoned America. In what universe does this make sense to anybody?

firebeats
May 8, 2016

Super Deuce posted:

So, since you said 8 years, I can assume you think being mean to people who voted for President Trump is a bad idea. A campaign whose only positive message (as there were very, very minimal policies, each of which xenophobic) to any non-bigot, was its anti-pc stance. We, for some reason, have to be pc towards bigots who claim pc culture has poisoned America. In what universe does this make sense to anybody?

Very long indeed

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

Super Deuce posted:

Clinton won the popular vote and it didn't matter in the end. I'm expecting an even lower Dem turnout for the next elections because
1) the Dem party has been ripped to shreds and is in need of some serious major loving reorganization,
and 2) those voters are even more disenfranchised now than they have ever been.

Several of my friends didn't even vote because we live in Texas and they don't believe their votes even matter. They are partly correct but can never give me a valid excuse about voting in local elections.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama

SyRauk posted:

Several of my friends didn't even vote because we live in Texas and they don't believe their votes even matter. They are partly correct but can never give me a valid excuse about voting in local elections.

I'm also a Texan. Not only should you remind them of local elections, but you should remind them that all of the major cities vote blue for the most part anyway. Houston has had an open lesbian mayor serve three terms that no one talks about, followed by its second black mayor...and no Republican mayor for decades. Its the loving suburbs and the sticks that make us look like a crazy right wing state.

And if Bill is going to chime in with Piers about actors and their political opinions, he needs to lead by example with his own panel guests. Hell, even he's a loving comedian with bad movie credits, not William F Buckley or John McLaughlin.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Gimmedaroot posted:

I'm also a Texan. Not only should you remind them of local elections, but you should remind them that all of the major cities vote blue for the most part anyway. Houston has had an open lesbian mayor serve three terms that no one talks about, followed by its second black mayor...and no Republican mayor for decades. Its the loving suburbs and the sticks that make us look like a crazy right wing state.

And if Bill is going to chime in with Piers about actors and their political opinions, he needs to lead by example with his own panel guests. Hell, even he's a loving comedian with bad movie credits, not William F Buckley or John McLaughlin.

It's the same everywhere. It's fascinating that when people live near other people, and share experiences, they are less prone to be bigots. By fascinating I mean obvious.

firebeats posted:

Very long indeed

Fantastic input.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SyRauk posted:

funnily enough texas was actually the state clinton improved on obama's performance the most

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

The Muppets On PCP posted:

funnily enough texas was actually the state clinton improved on obama's performance the most

It's comical to me how many President Trump supporters think and spout the "polls got it wrong" nonsense, when the polls were right, they just don't understand margins of error. Then when you remind them of that they'll say something about electoral maps showing Texas as light blue, because again, at that point of the polls, that's what the data showed. Information scares these people because they lack the ability to understand things.

SyRauk posted:

Clinton won the popular vote and it didn't matter in the end. I'm expecting an even lower Dem turnout for the next elections because
1) the Dem party has been ripped to shreds and is in need of some serious major loving reorganization,
and 2) those voters are even more disenfranchised now than they have ever been.

Oh, and anybody who says their vote doesn't matter is literally causing the problem of their vote not mattering. Your friends are dumb people. I deal with the same people in Massachusetts. There's a difference between not mattering and not having a direct effect. For instance, I voted for Jill Stein while my state chose Hillary Clinton. People say that I threw away my vote because Jill Stein didn't win, to which I should be able to say they did as well, as Secretary Clinton also didn't win, but nope. Some people think voting only counts when your vote wins. That's insane.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Super Deuce posted:

Fantastic input.

That's all he really needs to say. Your constant demeaning of other people and complaining about "stupid voters" rather than thinking of ways to reach out to them is why the Democratic Party, and the left in general, is so weak.

It's lot easier to sit back, be smug, and laugh rather than actually trying to put forth effort to change things. Unfortunately, only the latter helps win elections, while the former results elections being lost 10 out of 10 times.

firebeats posted:

8 years? These people have been losing elections for decades. Why wouldn't this trend continue?

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
The DNC really believes that Bernie's campaign was an abberation and because Hilldawg won the primary, that that movement is dead and buried. They will never learn their loving lesson. :bravo:

https://twitter.com/delmoi/status/830549925037559817