Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Stanfield posted:

HM: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Bobby Roode - NXT Takeover: San Antonio, 01/28[/b]

I'll second the latter because I really enjoyed the final few minutes and especially enjoyed how they handled the finish. The whole show was full of good but mostly unremarkable matches really, it felt like a very lowkey show compared to previous Takeovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The women's match would absolutely have been an HM at least, and the best match on the show, if it was just Nikki and Asuka

It ended up being 5 minutes of great action and 10 minutes of eh

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MOTYC: AJ Styles (C) vs John Cena for the WWE Championship at the Royal Rumble.

loving incredible match and both guys came out of it looking like a million bucks. The ending was superb.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

[b]MOTYC: AJ STYLES VS JOHN CENA ROYAL RUMBLE 2017[b]

AAAAAAAAAAA

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Jerusalem posted:

loving incredible match and both guys came out of it looking like a million bucks. The ending was superb.

Seconded. Holy loving poo poo.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Jerusalem posted:

Oh hell yes.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Yes god drat

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

Yes yes yes

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Jerusalem posted:

nth because holy loving poo poo that owned.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jerusalem posted:

goddamn yes

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Nth. AJ Styles is the best thing in wrestling. Period.

Edit: can I just go ahead and nominate WMOTYC: The Royal Rumble. Was going good then...well, you know what happens I'm sure.

ICR fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 30, 2017

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Nth. AJ Styles is the best thing in wrestling. Period.

Edit: can I just go ahead and nominate WMOTYC: The Royal Rumble. Was going good then...well, you know what happens I'm sure.

Worst ending, maybe; the rumble itself sort of vacillated between awesome and awful

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Royal Rumble nominations (1/29)

MOTYC:
Roman Reigns v. Kevin Owens
John Cena v. AJ Styles

HM:
Neville v. Rich Swann
Royal Rumble Match

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Alain Post posted:

MOTYC:
John Cena v. AJ Styles

HM:
Kevin Owens vs Roman Reigns
Neville v. Rich Swann
Royal Rumble Match

I'll say this

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Alain Post posted:

MOTYC:
John Cena v. AJ Styles

HM:
Neville v. Rich Swann
Royal Rumble Match

:yeah:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I'm just keeping this for my own sake

MOTYC: Kenny Omega vs Kazuchika Okada (Wrestle Kingdom 11)
MOTC: John Cena vs AJ Styles (Royal Rumble)

Nothing else has really jumped out me, not even the other matches at the Tokyo Dome.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

can I just go ahead and nominate WMOTYC: The Royal Rumble. Was going good then...well, you know what happens I'm sure.

I don't think it's WMOTY caliber. The match up until Roman was brilliantly booked. If Roman turns heel tomorrow, it's one of the best booked matches in a long time.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Alain Post posted:

MOTYC:
John Cena v. AJ Styles

HM:
Neville v. Rich Swann
Royal Rumble Match

Agreedo. It's strange that the championship matches were actually worthwhile on a Rumble PPV

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

HM: CK-1 (Dragon Kid and CIMA) vs. Tribe Vanguard (Yousuke Santa Maria and Kzy) - Dragon Gate Open the New Year Gate Day 2, 1/15

Match starts at around the 1:32:00 mark.

Really excellent tag match to set up their eventual Twin Gate match. Kzy and Maria are a really great team and play really fiery babyfaces. CIMA was a perfect dickhead which made Maria pulling out the surprise victory feel really earned. Only downside was no Kzy Time and they obviously were holding back to make the Twin Gate match feel better.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jan 31, 2017

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

MOTY: John Cena vs. AJ Styles
HM: The Royal Rumble
WMOTY: Neville vs. Rich Swann

Agreed on the top two being fantastic, but the Cruiserweight match was one of the most boring and dull watches I've ever seen. I shouldn't be saying that about a Cruiserweight match but here we are. What was you favourite bit, the part with the rest holds? Or the bad flippy doos that led into more rest holds?

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 30, 2017

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I changed my mind on Neville/Swann. It wasn't good like at all.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Blooming Brilliant posted:

MOTY: John Cena vs. AJ Styles
HM: The Royal Rumble
WMOTY: Neville vs. Rich Swann

Agreed on the top two being fantastic, but the Cruiserweight match was one of the most boring and dull watches I've ever seen. I shouldn't be saying that about a Cruiserweight match but here we are. What was you favourite bit, the part with the rest holds? Or the bad flippy doos that led into more rest holds?

The offense was surprisingly tough and brutal for a CW match and I thought Neville was doing great heel work. It's just that most people don't want to see that out of a CW match.

That match had like, a, Brian Pillman v. Bobby Eaton as a WCW Saturday Night main event feel to it which I digged. I thought it was a very solidly worked wrestling match with a spectacular babyface comeback. Unfortunately the crowd only wants to see sprints in CW title matches.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holy hell finally caught the AJ/Cena match and you all aren't kidding. That was fantastic.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Late to the voting (gently caress different time zones), but nthing this. loving awesome match, so loving awesome that I'll now re-watch it to get the end of the rumble match out of my head.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
people calling neville vs swann awful are out of their minds. the match was objectively good.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i'm probably higher on it than most giving it an HM but I really liked it. they just need to make the next CW title match a sprint so people finally get what they want out of the division though

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah I mean do I really need to say AJ/Cena was great at this point?

It was great.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

KungFu Grip posted:

people calling neville vs swann awful are out of their minds. the match was objectively good.
The match was very mediocre, especially considering what both men are capable of. There's plenty of great Cruiserweight-style matches that have lots of slower pacing, but the WWE style turns these matches into filler, and not slow burners. I just get the idea that they're given a match by an agent that discourages a lot of sprint-style, spot-filled matches or outstanding wrestling because their role isn't to steal the show, it's to put on a showcase for that particular division.

But really, it's got its own show and the CWC did a fine job of putting out great matches, I honestly don't know why 205 Live exists outside of giving RAW some filler, even its taping post-smackdown doesn't make any sense. The division doesn't showcase anything paticularly special, it just features wrestlers that happen to weight less than 205 pounds. It doesn't stand out much other than they're smaller wrestlers and the lighting and purple ropes makes it look like some kind of side-show.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

From Dragon Gate: 2/2 Truth Gate

HM: Shingo Takagi, Cyber Kong, T-Hawk, and El Lindaman vs. Naruki Doi, Ben-K, Big R Shimizu, and Takehiro Yamamura

Started as an alright match before getting good once Shingo and Big R started beating the poo poo out of each other on the outside, including a ganso bomb to the floor.

MOTYC: Takehiro Yamamura vs. Big R Shimizu

Two young guys pull out an absolutely stellar match out of seemingly nowhere. Both guys looked amazing and Yamamura got booked real fuckin' strong.

MOTYC: Open the Dream Gate Championship - BxB Hulk vs. YAMATO

Probably not as good to a lot of people as it was to me, but I'm a big BxB Hulk mark so whatever. So with at least two people in Dragon Gate currently out with severe back/neck injuries, Hulk and YAMATO decided that the best course of action for this match was to literally murder each other for 30 minutes. Kind of a slower epic broadway match, it still had it's share of really dumb spots: EVO to the floor (this might be the dumbest spot of the year across any promotion unless WWE has Brock bust someone open hardway with his elbow again), a top rope tiger suplex, plus lots of kicks to the head.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

HM: Juice Robinson vs. Hirooki Goto, NJPW The New Beginning in Sapporo, 02/05

That was brilliant. Thought it'd just be a squash after that desperate opening, but holy heck Juice held his own and then some. He needs a NEVER title reign at some point.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'll second that if only because I want more people to know how much Juice has improved in New Japan and how cool it is to see him slowly working his way up from nothing. It felt like he belonged in there with Goto.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've edited in January's MOTYCs and HMs into the second post, no WMOTYCs have gotten the needed number of votes yet as far as I can tell

Matches of the Year

01/04 | KUSHIDA vs. Hiromu Takahashi - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11
01/04 | Katsuyori Shibata vs. Hirooki Goto - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11
01/04 | Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tetsuya Naito - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11
01/04 | Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11
01/15 | Pete Dunne vs Mark Andrews - WWE UK Championship Tournament Night 2
01/15 | Pete Dunne vs Tyler Bate - WWE UK Championship Tournament Night 2
01/29 | AJ Styles vs John Cena - WWE Royal Rumble

Worst Matches of the Year

Honorable Mentions

01/28 | Shinsuke Nakamura vs Bobby Roode - NXT Takeover San Antonio
01/29 | The Royal Rumble Match - WWE Royal Rumble

If I've missed anything, let me know.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Kazuchika Okada vs Minoru Suzuki for the IWGP Championship at NEW BEGINNING IN SAPPORRO 2/5

Didn't hit the heights of Okada's recent top matches but still really drat good and told a really interesting story with a surprising (to me) ending.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

MOTYC: Kazuchika Okada vs. Minoru Suzuki, NJPW The New Beginning in Sapporo, 02/05

Oh my God. Oh my God. Incredible. Absolutely incredible.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

MOTYC: Ring Kampf vs The South Pacific Power Trip, PROGRESS Chapter 43: Tropic Thunderbastard

Go out of your way to see this match. These two teams have incredible chemistry for their first time facing each other and I REALLY want to see a Travis Banks/Axel Dieter Jr. singles match now.

HM: Thunderbastard Match, PROGRESS Chapter 43: Tropic Thunderbastard

A very entertaining Aztec Warfare-style Rumble with some great work by Mark Andrews and Zack Gibson and the turning point in a few ongoing storylines.

HM: Pete Dunne vs Jimmy Havoc, PROGRESS Chapter 43: Tropic Thunderbastard

Solid crowd brawling bumped up to HM by one of the greatest post-match sequences I've seen in a while. I am so glad that Mark Haskins will be able to wrestle again.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Venomous posted:

HM: Juice Robinson vs. Hirooki Goto, NJPW The New Beginning in Sapporo, 02/05

That was brilliant. Thought it'd just be a squash after that desperate opening, but holy heck Juice held his own and then some. He needs a NEVER title reign at some point.

Thirding this. Mostly for the same reason Jerusalem did. Seeing Juice pull that match was awesome for me, having not seen him since NXT other than his match with the world's least interesting wrestler, Cody Rhodes.

I'd go HM for Okada/Suzuki as well. I wouldn't say it was better than any of the four big title matches from WK or Cena/AJ but still worth checking out.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I'll second that if only because I want more people to know how much Juice has improved in New Japan and how cool it is to see him slowly working his way up from nothing. It felt like he belonged in there with Goto.

His match with Marty Scurll from ROH TV was good, too

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Just as Cena/Styles < Okada/Omega, Cena/Styles < Okada/Suzuki because Kazuchika Okada is the best wrestler in the world

would probably place it above Kushida/Takahashi and about level with Shibata/Goto as well

Archbishop Karaoke
May 10, 2006

I'll second/third the HM for Wolfgang vs. Trent Seven from the WWE UK Tournament.

Also MOTYC
Minoru Suzuki vs. Kazuchika Okada from New Beginning in Sapporo

and HM
Hirooki Goto vs. Juice Robinson from New Beginning in Sapporo
Pete Dunne vs. Mark Andrews from the WWE UK Tournament
Io Shirai/HZK vs. Kairi Hojo/Yoko Bito from Stardom Kairi Hojo 5th Anniversary (1/3)

Archbishop Karaoke fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Kazuchika Okada vs Minoru Suzuki for the IWGP Championship at NEW BEGINNING IN SAPPORRO 2/5

Didn't hit the heights of Okada's recent top matches but still really drat good and told a really interesting story with a surprising (to me) ending.

second for the HM because my psycho wrestle-stepdad MiSu didn't win

• Locked thread