Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Oh right, The Whatever Robots song is a couple years older than the flash video full of ayb shops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fvTxv46ano

Guess we still have a couple years to pretend time isn't bearing down on us :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

:rolleyes:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I don't even understand that one. Is "give a poo poo" in the imperative? Or is it meant to be "gave a poo poo?"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

WrenP-Complete posted:

I don't even understand that one. Is "give a poo poo" in the imperative? Or is it meant to be "gave a poo poo?"

I'm pretty sure it's the present simple.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

WrenP-Complete posted:

As in they just now started caring

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Just put "These people" in front of it for all three segments of the graph.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Powaqoatse posted:

Oh right, The Whatever Robots song is a couple years older than the flash video full of ayb shops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fvTxv46ano

Guess we still have a couple years to pretend time isn't bearing down on us :toot:

I always liked the one that combined it with Bohemian Raphsody.

~You have no chance to survive, make your time! Hahaaaaa hahaaaa Ha Haaaaa~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE6emvdmg-M

Nostalgia is strong with this one. Although it has more repetition issues than a loving opera...

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 12:40 on Feb 5, 2017

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

I wonder if stripping the American people of their precious freedom for one day every four years and making them to vote at gunpoint would change this outcome.

It's like making a kid do their chores so they learn about personal responsibility and poo poo.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Outrail posted:

I wonder if stripping the American people of their precious freedom for one day every four years and making them to vote at gunpoint would change this outcome.

It's like making a kid do their chores so they learn about personal responsibility and poo poo.

It would work just as well as making a kid do their chores once every four years, I think.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Is there a reason why we don't have mandatory mail-in voting (with a "none of the above" option)

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Outrail posted:

This would mean a lot of votes by people who have no interest in voting.

I mean, I can see the comedy value. But I can't imagine it would lead to better outcomes.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Keep in mind that Australia has mandatory voting.

I rest my case.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Considering the demographics of non-voters in the US, mandatory voting would probably benefit Democrats immensely. For that reason, it's never going to happen here.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Democratic systems operate on the assumption that people will care about politics more than once every four or fives years, and mandatory voting does nothing to fix that. In the US it's particularly egregious because of the mid-terms.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

All you need is to add exclamation points to make it No! and Yes!!!!!!!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

lifg posted:

This would mean a lot of votes by people who have no interest in voting.

I mean, I can see the comedy value. But I can't imagine it would lead to better outcomes.

Can you imagine a worse outcome? Being serious.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Outrail posted:

Literal island concentration camps for refugees? That's what they have in Australia.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Outrail posted:

In this last election, no. Santorum, maybe, but he never had a chance.

But in most elections, yes. I imagine it would be a Trump-like-man winning every time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
You only have to elect an authoritarian once and it’s gg democracy.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

There's so much going on with this, from the transposed results, the bad rounding to have 101% voting, to the confusingly-phrased title. It's perfect.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Don't forget the percentages on the wrong segments.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

lifg posted:

In this last election, no. Santorum, maybe, but he never had a chance.

But in most elections, yes. I imagine it would be a Trump-like-man winning every time.

The problem is the segment that is easily motivated will vote more often. I'd guess that a greater percentage of Trump supporters voted than Hillary supporters. She won the popular vote and half the country wasn't that enthused with her. If you held a gun to the non voters heads I bet most of them would have reluctantly pushed the blue button.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

You could just cut the knot and do elections by popular vote instead of the out dated electoral college system. It'd help fix that Wyoming residents have 3.6 the voting power that Californians have.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Outrail posted:

The problem is the segment that is easily motivated will vote more often. I'd guess that a greater percentage of Trump supporters voted than Hillary supporters. She won the popular vote and half the country wasn't that enthused with her. If you held a gun to the non voters heads I bet most of them would have reluctantly pushed the blue button.

It also doesn't help that Republicans have a deep love of making it harder for Democrat voters to actually vote. Not to mention their deep adoration of downright obscene gerrymandering.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Nothing will change until Texas flips blue. Then suddenly it'll be super important to reform this antiquated system.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Byzantine posted:

Nothing will change until Texas flips blue. Then suddenly it'll be super important to reform this antiquated system.

If the held another election tomorrow I think there'd be alot of flipping.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Byzantine posted:

Remember all the "turn Texas blue!" talk last year?

Yeah.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Whooping Crabs posted:

There's so much going on with this, from the transposed results, the bad rounding to have 101% voting, to the confusingly-phrased title. It's perfect.
Also, the fact that it's a kind of pointless edit of the actual image.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Strudel Man posted:

Also, the fact that it's a kind of pointless edit of the actual image.

Given what just went down...

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If this thread has to bitch about elections, can they at least be about somewhere in Africa or something? I'm sick of every thread being about trump

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Sentient Data posted:

If this thread has to bitch about elections, can they at least be about somewhere in Africa or something? I'm sick of every thread being about trump

Let me tell you about the glorious, noble Robert Mugabe...

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Regalingualius posted:

Let me tell you about the glorious, noble Robert Mugabe...

Or let Trevor Noah tell you, instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FPrJxTvgdQ

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Outrail posted:

Man if you think not voting is 100% tied to not giving a poo poo then you have a lot to learn about this country

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Henchman of Santa posted:

Man if you think not voting is 100% tied to not giving a poo poo then you have a lot to learn about this country

People either don't vote because they can't or won't. Making it easy and compulsory to vote negates both of those issues.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Sentient Data posted:

The last superpower is in the middle of a fascist coup right now, so the purely funny is going to be on the back burner for at least the next four years.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Outrail posted:

People either don't vote because they can't or won't. Making it easy and compulsory to vote negates both of those issues.

Some people have no desire to vote, or wish not to for whatever reason, so we're going to force them to. Problem solved.

Tiberius Thyben has a new favorite as of 18:03 on Feb 6, 2017

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)

Ramos posted:

You could just cut the knot and do elections by popular vote instead of the out dated electoral college system. It'd help fix that Wyoming residents have 3.6 the voting power that Californians have.
There is no compelling reason not to do this, but you'd end up with the awkward situation that the administration represents a slim majority of the electorate 100% of the time instead of only 90% of the time. The current system means that rural voters in California or city voters in Kentucky have no representation: their votes are wasted. However, under a straight popular vote system, half the country would still feel like they have no representation in the executive branch.

Removing the electoral college should really go hand in hand with selecting an alternative voting method like IRV, range voting, or one of the Condorcet methods. This would cause the executive branch to be more likely to represent a larger chunk of the population's interests, by allowing for a wider range of candidates and removing the spoiler effect. Bonus points: If the Republicans had used one of these methods during the primary, there'd be no Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Aschlafly posted:

Bonus points: If the Republicans had used one of these methods during the primary, there'd be no Trump.

Interesting. Prove it please. Not saying you can't... I just want to see it explained.