Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

rannum posted:

I guess the idea is weaken the "normal" options to make the ranged weapon triangle more viable rather than just loading up all your best lance & axe uers with cheap ranged weapons and going to town.

but then they made 1/3rd of the ranged weapons significantly superior despite lower damage so woops.

e: This reminds me, are there not a lot of pegasus/wyvern knights in this game? Or are they all in the back half. Poor bow users if so

There's a map towards the end of this game that is mostly Dracoknights. There's a flying boss too, but he has an Iote's Shield :v:

Usually if you see fliers in this game, they're reinforcements, but you run a pretty good chance of seeing a couple in any chapter set against Macedon, since that's sorta their gimmick. There are a lot more of them in the sequel, at least in the front half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

rannum posted:

e: This reminds me, are there not a lot of pegasus/wyvern knights in this game? Or are they all in the back half. Poor bow users if so
Outside of Caeda and reclassing, not really. The only big name fliers are the Whitewings and honorary member Minvera.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

LordHippoman posted:

There was also a "Wind Sword" in FE7, but to get it, you had to have the special edition of Mario Kart: Double Dash with the bonus disc, put that in a Gamecube, and transfer data from that to your GBA with Fire Emblem in it via a link cable. It was the most bizarre thing, and I still did it on my original FE7 cartridge.
7 and 8 also had the Rune Sword and Light Brand, which used magic weapons triangle (dark and light respectively) but were 1-2 range swords. Rune Sword also stole HP. I think maybe they hit res instead of def? In 7 they were boss weapon drops, but in 8 the first level of the tower of valni half the time spawned a skeleton with a rune sword and an iron spear and dropped whatever he didn't have equipped, so you could farm them by baiting him into using the spear and then killing him.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

LordHippoman posted:

Caesar shows up looking like a slightly worse Ogma. He’s very similar, but he beats him out by a decent chunk in Speed (and Magic, but who cares), suffering a few minor dips elsewhere, coupled with his later joining time.
I do, because Caesar can become a pretty radd Dark Mage,. He starts a tad less accurate than Cord (they've both got awful Skl, really), but his HP growth is 50% compared to Cord's pitiful 20.

Of note, him, Cord and Jagen are the only physical fighters that have a base Magic growth above 5%... and they're at 10%. No reclassable non-mage has even one point of base magic. This game really does want you to see your mages as a rare, precious ressource.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I know some people have had some concerns about if the Fire Emblem mobile game will be any good. As the OP of this thread, I'm happy to report:

It will be good. Thanks.

(also he's voiced by DC Douglas)

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

I know some people have had some concerns about if the Fire Emblem mobile game will be any good. As the OP of this thread, I'm happy to report:

It will be good. Thanks.

So how long until complete global saturation happens?

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

LordHippoman posted:

(insert a long winded story about a snail here)

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Getting both the Wesker joke and the Zero joke in makes me so very proud of my thread. :unsmith:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

It will be good. Thanks.

I hope Ross also gets in and Barst takes him in under his wing.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Chapter 9: Questionably Canon Dragon (Prep)

Time for some more Fire Emblem. We’ll be facing a whole new kind of enemy boss unit this time, and I hope you’re excited to see what it could be!

...Or the game could just spoil it right there.

: Py-what?

: Pyrathi.

: I don’t remember that place at all. Are you sure it exists?

: Of course! It’s...that island just southeast of Port Warren. Look at the map! See it?

: That’s my fingernail, Sir Jagen.

(The Pyrathi Isles are, to my knowledge, never mentioned or acknowledged again in the series after this chapter.)

: and their king, Mannu, was wroth when he heard of the League’s unexpected visit. There were whispers Mannu was a dragonkin- rumors soon to be proved true.

In case people wanted to compare our two Mercenaries, I’ve got them here for you.

Ogma’s got the advantage right now, but Caesar’s not too far behind. I’m considering reclassing Caesar into some sort of physical unit (Pirate?), and I’m open to suggestions. Of course, there’s nothing wrong with multiple mercs.

Also, I want to clarify that I did make fun of Caesar’s Magic growth last time, but Miacis pointed out in the thread that he really does make a solid Dark Mage. He’s one of only three non-natural spellcasters to even have a Magic growth, alongside Cord and Jagen. Thanks for pointing that out, Miacis.

To try and rectify Navarre being the squishiest man to ever be potenitally squished, I swapped him into Cavalier to try that out. The biggest issue I’m seeing right now is that absolutely atrocious 2 Skill. We’ll see how it plays out.

Here’s the preliminary roster, the usual team + Caesar and Roger. Might as well show that lovable dork off.

This map is a little complex, but it’s nothing we really haven’t seen before. We’ll start here, and move to that center island.

A locked gate bars the path, but we’ve got a certain sneaky rogue who can get past that for us, as well as grab the treasures inside. This also opens a shortcut to the southwest island, which houses the boss.

We’ll want to go around north first, though, as there’s a village for the visiting, and you probably don’t want to miss out on this one.

The southeast island has this tiny building containing only a chest. Huh. That seems worth checking out.

And the final part of the map, regardless of which way you reach it, is crawling with enemies. The Pyrathi don’t like us very much.

Especially not this guy. King Mannu might look like a complete pushover, but don’t forget that his Firestone is going to boost his stats. His real attack is 27.

However he’s still 1 range and thus still a pushover. Oh well. Next time, we cleanse Pyrathi of all life and relevance from the series.

Bonus Content

Roger needs some dating advice.

The Dork Knight

: Steve, sorry for earlier. I wonder if you could give me some more advice?

: O-oh, alright. If it’s within my capability.

: But honestly, I had no idea somebody thought of me that way. No idea at all. I wonder if I should confess my love right now? Steve, what do you reckon's best?

: Huh…? I don’t know, that depends on the other person.

: Why are you talking like it's got nothing to do with you...? Weren't you waiting for my confession? That's the reason you felt jealous when I talked about my ideal woman, right? Anyway, Steve! I love you!!!

:magical:

: Eh!? W-what, me? I’m sorry, but I…

You can only do that sort of thing to the OTHER Avatar characters, Roger.

: There you go, looking all embarrassed... You put up a cold front, but you really like me, don't you?

: No, you’ve got it wrong! I don’t feel that way at all!

: I-I-I see… If you deny it that strongly… then I guess I’m back to being a sad man again…

You know Roger probably uses the term “friend zone” in feudal times.

: Oh… I-I’m sorry. I spoke too much.

: If you want to apologize… How about you introduce me to another girl, then?

: O-oh, right. I can't think of anyone at the moment... But, well... I've, er, heard whispers... of a girl who, um, secretly admires you, but who's too shy to confess her feelings... These are just whispers though, but I don't think anybody can positively prove they're false.

: I see, you’re right, I can’t deny that. So it’s a shy girl. I had no idea.

: What if you took the initiative, Sir Roger?

: You’re right, I should be proactive and seek her myself! Thanks, Steve! I’ll give it a shot!

: ...I wonder, did I do the right thing?

:v:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Sweet mother of Naga that Skill drop on Navarre. :stare:

I kind of get the Speed drop due to class differences, but I did not expect his Skill to be basically skullfucked into oblivion.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Not only is Pyrathi entirely forgotten after this chapter, it's so unimportant Mystery of the Emblem Book 1 cut this chapter entirely, proving it might as well not exist at all.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

AradoBalanga posted:

I kind of get the Speed drop due to class differences, but I did not expect his Skill to be basically skullfucked into oblivion.

yeah, you can merc just about anyone and the insane bases will carry them pretty far.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

I had to do a double take there because I was like "No, it can't be THAT aw-oh my god"

Blaze Dragon posted:

Not only is Pyrathi entirely forgotten after this chapter, it's so unimportant Mystery of the Emblem Book 1 cut this chapter entirely, proving it might as well not exist at all.

I'll note that in the update proper. I forget exactly which maps were cut, but I think it was four or five? I'll look it up for later.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
It's especially egregious that it's on Navarre, a character carried by skill and speed.

It wasn't until I played through the GBA games that I realized how badly the DS games nerfed mercenaries/myrmidons.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Camel Pimp posted:

It's especially egregious that it's on Navarre, a character carried by skill and speed.

It wasn't until I played through the GBA games that I realized how badly the DS games nerfed mercenaries/myrmidons.

The class itself? It's got ridiculous bases and anyone you reclass into it will double for days and never miss.
The people that start as them? Oh god did they. Still perfectly usable as they come, but reclassing them will gut the character.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 3, 2017

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Chapter 9: Questionably Canon Dragon (Battle)

Welcome back to Fire Emblem, a series that by now you might have played on your phone!

: I will kill them for this- one by one- then turn the crimson grass beneath them into their pyre!

:stare: Mannu’s pretty hardcore for a guy we’ll never see again.

Since Marth could reach the door this turn already, I just decided to open by opening it up. I should note the Fire Emblem doesn’t work on doors, just Chests, but that’s what the Master Key is for. It’s also the only thing keeping thieves relevant I guess.

I’m splitting the team again on this one. I want about half of our units to go south and start picking away at Mannu’s guards, while Marth and some pals (preferably mobile ones) go and grab the village and chest on the east end of the map.

One thing to keep in mind on this map is that Pyrathi fields a lot of pirates, so the water isn’t saving you. Keep an eye out.

They’ve also got Hand Axes.

Looking back, it was probably a bad idea to send both healers with this group. But, I mean, it turned out fine. Spoilers, I guess. I do win the map.

I’ve got Draug and Cord in position to counter the Pirates coming across the water. Don’t worry about Barst on the left there, I just haven’t moved him yet. :v:

He doesn’t hit hard, but at least Draug doubles.

Wow. So, uh, yeah, this thief will destroy the village on Turn 3 if you don’t hustle over there.

Thankfully we have a winged wall on our side to just park there and prevent his nefarious pillaging.

Also Julian got a kill. I like when Julian gets kills.

You should probably get outta there, Draug.

So I figured Barst could weaken this Pirate enough if he hits one of those axes that Roger could just get the kill.

Joke’s on me, he hit both times and the second was a crit :allears:

I like to think Cord just hurled the tome at that other pirate and killed him. Unfortunately it was forever lost beneath the waves.

Uh oh. That Devil Axe is an unwelcome surprise. I’d have preferred another hand axe goober.

Well, these two should be able to weather it fine.

If just barely. I was hoping for the backfire there, but eh.

This thief makes a really bad choice.

This was just to give Roger some EXP.

And, since Ogma’s hurting, Caesar’s going to fill in. He’s basically a stunt double.

The second thief is getting close to that locked room with a chest. Thankfully, Caeda’s got a Javelin. :getin:

Caeda, you’re pulling an Abel over here. C’mon.

There really aren’t many enemies on this part of the map, so I’m free to just march everyone here on through to get around to the southern half of the islands.

Except Marth, of course. Marth has to greet a new friend.

: Ifought to defend our palace from Dolhr, but the enemy’s strength was too great. We lost, and I was captured. Thankfully, they’re not half as bright as they are strong, and I managed to slip away when they were not looking.

I’m not sure why he sought refuge in the dictator dragon island and not in Port Warren or something. How is this village even here?

: I heard you were on your way to Pyrathi, and that Princess Nyna was with you, so I came here to offer my help.

I feel like it’s worth noting that Jeorge, despite being a super minor character, is one of the few characters to have a drastically different looking portrait in the sequel:

He dropped something on the ground and just never stopped looking for it.

Jeorge is pretty okay for a prepromote. His growths are atrocious, 30% in Skill being the only real highlight, and his base stats are all pretty bad (except Res, I guess). He does, however, come with instant access to the powerful Silver Bow, and almost enough weapon experience to use the A Rank bow. So I wouldn’t make him a part of your permanent team, but for a few chapters, Jeorge can really tear poo poo up.

Meanwhile down here, the last of the pirates is trickling in, so we’ll start pushing on Mannu’s island soon.

I did accidentally put Roger in Mage range, though. Thankfully this wasn’t a double.

Time to skedaddle.

And the Mage brought his friends.

I brought Barst. :black101:

The mage is the biggest concern here, but I want to get rid of as many of his allies on my turn as I can just to make the damage more bearable.

Not too bad.

Unfortunately, someone’s gotta soak a Blizzard here to get him in death range. Thankfully Wolf has a bucketload of HP and not much else that bothers him.

Little bit of overkill there, Caesar, but I approve.

Also, I should heal Barst up here, because that Pirate and Hunter can down him if they combine their fire. Lena Physic from across the map? Why not?

Thank you, kind thief, for opening the door for Caeda.

Clearly chivalry isn’t dead. That guy is, though.

I see this going poorly for you.

Especially if...both of them miss.

Barst, ladies and gentlemen.

The only real enemies of note down here right now are these Hunters, who are easy pickings for Cain (and the others, once they catch up.) He also nabs a level in Swords off of this.

But why wait for everyone else when we have a perfectly good Caeda?

Things hit Wolf. Wolf hits back.

And with that, the enemies attacking from that island are all gone. Except that one hunter in the bottom center there. Don’t worry, I’ll get to it.

Like I said, I got to it.

Unfortunately I now have a new thing to get to. Five new things, actually. One from each fort along the bottom of the map. You could block these forts with fliers, but it seems like more trouble than it’s worth, especially with how close they are to each other. You’d probably just end up with a dead Caeda/whoever.

The streak! :negative:

Thankfully, there’s a fort right here that will make for some good cover, as most of these Pirates are going to go for the eastern team.

Also Cavalier Nabalier can’t even double a curate.

At least his skill isn’t two anymore!

I’m going to move Abel just outside the Pirate’s attack range, so I can go after the Pirate who comes in the very far right corner of the map.

Importantly, this guy in the middle has a Hammer. So watch out for that if you’re tackling this area with a Knight or General.

One’s got a Hand Axe as well, but Jeorge makes short work of him with a double.

20% is one of the lowest hit rates I’ve seen in this game. Even with Shadow Dragon’s forgiving hit formulas, being a Pirate with weapon triangle disadvantage and a Hammer trying to smack a dude on a Fort isn’t a great idea.

Speaking of Forts, this is Fort Barst now.

To celebrate the opening of Fort Barst, I’m unfurling Wob Leets for the first time. It’s a crit, so, uh, I think that means “good fortune” or something.

Well, that’s okay fortune.

Abel greets a new friend. Better to deal with him here than to let him sneak around the water for our weaker defenders.

Lonely at the start of the map, Ogma takes his own fort. He makes a flag out of leaves and waves it over his own head. Someday, Ogma.

Someday.

Two turns after your first set of pirates, it’s time for Round 2!

gently caress off, Round 2!

Honestly, these guys aren’t a huge threat. Even if you aren’t ready for their arrival, they take a while to get to the relevant parts of the map, and you can set up a solid defense.

They also can’t hit poo poo, which is nice.

Getting rid of those guys was basically the same as last time, i won’t subject you to that. Mannu’s all alone now.

Manaketes get a cool transformation when they get into battle (You can see his sprite on the map screen changes too!). Unfortunately, they only have 1 range. So Mannu’s really just target practice.

More of them? Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, tome level 2.

Fool me...threst, here’s a chest.

Oh. Well, makes sense why Mannu would lock that up. The Wyrmslayer is a C rank, 7 Might Sword with 15 uses, which all sounds pretty lame, except that it’s effective for triple damage against Manaketes. This is way more useful in the sequel, because we won’t be running into too many Manaketes in this game. Still, it has its uses.

I would appreciate it if you stopped tossing axes at my friends. He had 16 nice HP, look what you did to it!

This is Hand Axe range, right? (It’s not :ssh:.)

The store has nothing interesting. I bought a Steel Sword because...eh. We have a lot of Sword units? Maybe I have a retail therapy problem.

So, yeah, I do have to hike Marth all the way around here to get at that locked stuff in the middle of the map. I should have sent Julian this way at the start, whoops.

Mannu’s got no more pirates to call on, and he’s looking pretty low.

Caesar gets to go in for the kill this time.

Not awful. I’d have liked some Strength though.

You’re starting to win me over, Caesar.

I assume they just give you this so you can get the Wyrmslayer or the two treasures in the middle if you didn’t bring a Thief or Master Key.

Hey, while we wait for Marth to finish up, I can show that your units also get the terrain bonuses from the Gates/Thrones! You’re very unlikely to need them at this point...but they’re there.

Oh, yeah, there goes that pirate from earlier. I forgot about that guy.

Prize time!

Wow, I double forgot about this one. Good job though, Julian.

The Bullion (M) is simple stuff, 15k gold for free. That’s pretty drat nice for forging and such.

The Goddess Icon (called the Ashera Icon in 9/10) is a mainstay Fire Emblem item, permanently boosting a unit’s luck by two. Probably the most niche stat booster, but certainly welcome.

This is the worst Lena I have ever had. :psyduck:

:toot: anyway.

oh no, hide.

: I have come with a request from our mistress, the princess Minerva. She is planning to lead us against Dolhr in rebellion; however, her hands are tied so long as the enemy holds her younger sister, the princess Maria, captive.

Hey, remember this plot point? It came back!

: Will you rescue Princess Maria from their clutches, that my Whitewing sisters and I might join in your fight?

I see no reason to distrust someone who flew across the ocean on a horse. Let’s do that next time.

: Let’s never talk about that lovely dragon island again.

: Agreed.

Bonus Content

The Greatest Bow Knight Of The Continent, Jeorge

Hell of a title there, buddy.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
If he really was the greatest he'd have shot Catria there down before she even had a chance to speak

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

You can't kill a god

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Yay, Catria! I have an unnatural fondness for fliers, so her and Caeda are two of my favorite units from this game and the next!

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Your Caeda has been extremely lucky at hitting that defense growth. Between that and the seraph robe she could actually tank a hit every once in a while!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Camel Pimp posted:

You can't kill a god
Several entries in this franchise prove that yes, you can in fact kill a god.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I'd just like to take a moment to appreciate how bad Jeorge is. Looking up the promotion gains for archer>sniper, his pre-promotion stats would have been 16 HP, 5 STR, 0 MAG, 5 SKL, 7 SPD, 4 LCK, 7 DEF, 0 RES. And someone thought this man deserving of a master seal!

I mean I guess the bow rank is nice but... ow.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

vilkacis posted:

I'd just like to take a moment to appreciate how bad Jeorge is. Looking up the promotion gains for archer>sniper, his pre-promotion stats would have been 16 HP, 5 STR, 0 MAG, 5 SKL, 7 SPD, 4 LCK, 7 DEF, 0 RES. And someone thought this man deserving of a master seal!

I mean I guess the bow rank is nice but... ow.
That's pretty much as bad as Cecilia's initial stats in FE6, right?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

He's probably worse, to be honest. And at least she promotes into a class with some utility.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Sjs00 posted:

If he really was the greatest he'd have shot Catria there down before she even had a chance to speak

This would create some sort of time paradox and result in a world where Catria can be killed, something not yet known to mankind. (At least in the sequel). Basically:

Camel Pimp posted:

You can't kill a god

Silver Falcon posted:

Yay, Catria! I have an unnatural fondness for fliers, so her and Caeda are two of my favorite units from this game and the next!

Between this and what Cattail Prophet mentioned, It's hard not to love fliers in this game, especially when they get lucky enough to actually hit their survivability stats.

vilkacis posted:

He's probably worse, to be honest. And at least she promotes into a class with some utility.

I actually like Jeorge quite a bit in this game, I'm a bit biased from getting lucky on my first run, I think. That, and his bow rank is actually relevant given how good Dracoknights are, and that you get Parthia very soon.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I have Catria (& Est, who is also good) in heroes and can confirm she's just as wonderful in all forms. Terror of the skies.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

LordHippoman posted:

Between this and what Cattail Prophet mentioned, It's hard not to love fliers in this game, especially when they get lucky enough to actually hit their survivability stats.

Especially since the fliers in this game aren't nearly as squishy as they normally are. Caeda's by far the most fragile flier in the game, but her base defense is on par with most other non-mage characters. Her defense growth is noticeably low, but defense growths are low in this game in general. It takes a while for her to fall behind defensively, at least it did for me. And all of your other fliers are going to be WAY better than her defensively.

Although, on the other hand, the higher hit rates in this game also mean your fliers really can't rely on their high speed to save them in case you leave them in range of an archer, so double-edged sword I guess.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Hey, Hippoman's doing another Fire Emblem LP, awesome. It's too bad it's the one where you gotta kill everybody and gently caress up big time to get all the gaiden chapters. I hope you show off all the names the devs gave the faceless randos, though, they get kind of amazing. I see you killed off Wolf, which is too bad, but at least Sedgar appears okay for now. The two of them were just laughably overpowered in Shadow Dragon, quite at odds with their mediocre showing in New Mystery and nigh-uselessness in the original FE. I even made Wolf a Berserker since Darros isn't very good. Wolf's Strength growth is such that he usually gains two points in Strength each level, allowing him to get almost all the way to the Strength cap unaided (but the cap is actually so high that even that growth can't cap it without an Energy Drop or two).

On the topic of Heroes, I'm frustrated that Tellius and Jungdral aren't available yet. I know they're saving the Gaiden cast for when that new remake hits, but I want some Path of Radiance characters, dammit. They can just skip adding Sacred Stones. Ever.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

EclecticTastes posted:

They can just skip adding Sacred Stones. Ever.

Sacred Stones is good, though?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

rannum posted:

I have Catria (& Est, who is also good) in heroes and can confirm she's just as wonderful in all forms. Terror of the skies.

I got a Palla, I would trade you if I could! My Heroes cast has been ironically low on FE11/12 characters, only Palla and Tiki (Though the Tiki was some incredible luck).

Camel Pimp posted:

Especially since the fliers in this game aren't nearly as squishy as they normally are. Caeda's by far the most fragile flier in the game, but her base defense is on par with most other non-mage characters. Her defense growth is noticeably low, but defense growths are low in this game in general. It takes a while for her to fall behind defensively, at least it did for me. And all of your other fliers are going to be WAY better than her defensively.

Although, on the other hand, the higher hit rates in this game also mean your fliers really can't rely on their high speed to save them in case you leave them in range of an archer, so double-edged sword I guess.

Yeah, the large bias to Hit over Dodge is what I think makes me iffy on Swordmasters in the DS games, their main class gimmick of "gently caress you, I dodge" just doesn't work as well as it did in the GBA games. I just played the first 3 chapters of Binding Blade with a friend, and I had to get used to actually missing again. Like, regularly. It was madness.

It also does mean, though, that archer/sniper skill rates combined with generous hit formulas means that there's very little chance your Peg Knight is surviving if she accidentally bumbles into bow range.

EclecticTastes posted:

Hey, Hippoman's doing another Fire Emblem LP, awesome. It's too bad it's the one where you gotta kill everybody and gently caress up big time to get all the gaiden chapters. I hope you show off all the names the devs gave the faceless randos, though, they get kind of amazing.

I want some Path of Radiance characters, dammit.

Welcome back. :toot:

I will try to get some of the names, yes. If I don't on that run, I'll at least show off the list from the Wiki because you can tell eventually someone just decided to start having fun with them and there are some true gems in the generics.

Also we're totally probably getting Ike soon, at least.

Trasson posted:

Sacred Stones is good, though?

Agreed.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

EclecticTastes posted:

On the topic of Heroes, I'm frustrated that Tellius and Jungdral aren't available yet. I know they're saving the Gaiden cast for when that new remake hits, but I want some Path of Radiance characters, dammit. They can just skip adding Sacred Stones. Ever.

Sacred Stones was my favorite Fire Emblem before Awakening. It was also my first one, oddly enough.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
Huge Sacred Stones fan here as well.

In FE Heroes, I have a team of Marth, Hinoka, Minerva and Maria, and it is really good I think!

ShinyDais
Sep 5, 2016
Hippoman, I unfortunately don't have screenshots but I feel the need to point out that somebody doing the writing for FE Heroes could very well have been reading your LPs when they did Jagen. His lines are all "I'm old, you're young, wanna hear about Marth?" He's great :allears: .

Dunno 'bout Wrys yet but he's in the game so that's already good.

MonstrousMouse
Apr 15, 2014
Now that Heroes is out, I'm glad I read your FE12 LP beforehand, so I can appreciate all the units from the Archanea games. I don't think I would have bothered using Sheena if not for you showing her off in the LP, and now she's my best tank!

No Jagen yet, though.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I really really want to try Heroes but I'm really really broke :(

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

Sjs00 posted:

Well, I have good new for you! It's free!

Unless you do not have a phone, because then I am very sorry.

ShinyDais
Sep 5, 2016

Glaive17 posted:

Well, I have good new for you! It's free!

Unless you do not have a phone, because then I am very sorry.

The app is free, and the game is relatively generous with handout orbs for summons, but please gacha responsibly, do not fork over oodles of money if you don't get a 5* Jagen to carry you to victory.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Sjs00 posted:

Heroes is F2P. The only things you can spend money on are additional summoning orbs, but you can get those via normal gameplay without having to fork over any cash. Unless you want literally every character available or something equally insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

ShinyDais posted:

Hippoman, I unfortunately don't have screenshots but I feel the need to point out that somebody doing the writing for FE Heroes could very well have been reading your LPs when they did Jagen. His lines are all "I'm old, you're young, wanna hear about Marth?" He's great :allears: .

Dunno 'bout Wrys yet but he's in the game so that's already good.

That does sound fantastic. I wouldn't think I'd have influenced that, "I'm old" is pretty much canon Jagen's only personality trait too, but I'm happy if I could make anyone feel happy they pulled a Jagen and not just think "oh gently caress".

MonstrousMouse posted:

Now that Heroes is out, I'm glad I read your FE12 LP beforehand, so I can appreciate all the units from the Archanea games. I don't think I would have bothered using Sheena if not for you showing her off in the LP, and now she's my best tank!

No Jagen yet, though.

Sheena's in Heroes? I think she's the only New Mystery exclusive character there, then.

AradoBalanga posted:

Heroes is F2P. The only things you can spend money on are additional summoning orbs, but you can get those via normal gameplay without having to fork over any cash. Unless you want literally every character available or something equally insane.

Pretty much exactly this, yeah. It's fairly generous with letting you get characters without spending money, although there is sort of a dearth of content to get them from at the "end game", apparently. Also upgrading them looks grindy as gently caress. But if you just want a chill Fire Emblem-lite you can sit down and play on the bus, and you like seeing the characters, I'd really highly recommend it. (Being the huge Fire Emblem nerd I am, I just love seeing people like Ogma or Cecilia with voice acting and all that.) I'd imagine trying to push the higher levels of the PvP and whatnot pretty much requires feeding the Slot Machine Thing, though. So, y'know, don't do it if you have an addictive personality.

That's pretty much my Heroes review for now, I hope it gets as much content as Final Fantasy Record Keeper, because that's a real good free mobile game.

• Locked thread