Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flatulance-a-lot
Jun 3, 2011

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

Star Citizen

After looking at Elite Dangerous I found this game. It looks a little more indepth. And not as much of a grind for flying, but i'm open for reviews on it. Since the game is still in Alpha.

oh you sweet summer child

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

Star Citizen

After looking at Elite Dangerous I found this game. It looks a little more indepth. And not as much of a grind for flying, but i'm open for reviews on it. Since the game is still in Alpha.

:allears:

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

Star Citizen

Go ask these folks, I think you'll find them to be fairly level-headed about the game:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=212

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

Star Citizen

It's the game that will forever cleanse Romero and Molyneux from any connotations of incompetence, mismanagement, or wrong-doing because the difference in league will be so vast that the terms will no longer apply to them.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Well poo poo just reading the first thread I'm starting to realize the game is a cluster gently caress and has no finish date. Welp thanks for saving me $49.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The game is actually so good that there's an entire SA subforum only for discussing it.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Palpek posted:

The game is actually so good that there's an entire SA subforum only for discussing it.

Well, there's so little actual progress that we meander through recipes, internet routing and various different types of online scam, but it's largely a community of bitter hacks being bitter. And we have Daltok Smothers.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Hav posted:

Well, there's so little actual progress that we meander through recipes, internet routing and various different types of online scam, but it's largely a community of bitter hacks being bitter. And we have Daltok Smothers.

Don't forget the tickling!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
All the fun happens in the members only Goonrathi forums anyways

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

Well poo poo just reading the first thread I'm starting to realize the game is a cluster gently caress and has no finish date. Welp thanks for saving me $49.

I have to admit, I thought you were trolling- I'd thought everyone who knew anything about games would've heard about SC. It's actually kind of :allears: to know that even now, there are still people who play video games and yet have never heard of Star Citizen.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Star Citizen is extremely entertaining. The secret is that all the good stuff is free. Unless you want to contribute $10k to let an obese, mentally Ill sycophant promise to open boxes of Chris Robert's junk on camera. That'll cost you.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

CommissarMega posted:

I have to admit, I thought you were trolling- I'd thought everyone who knew anything about games would've heard about SC. It's actually kind of :allears: to know that even now, there are still people who play video games and yet have never heard of Star Citizen.

One of my friends who actually works in the video game industry had to be warned away from Star Citizen. If you don't live in the grubby, cheeto-dusted corners of the internet you would be pretty well insulated from the drama, because a quick Google search is mostly going to bring up official sites and heavily-shared articles from before it turned into a thermal borehole of sunk costs.

:megaman: PLATFORMEBRUARY 2017 :megaman:

1. Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition
2. 99 Levels To Hell
3. A.R.E.S.: Extinction Agenda
4. Mandagon
5. Sugar Cube: Bittersweet Factory

6. Lucidity

I only needed ten minutes with Lucidity to see what it was all about. Some games are like that, they put everything they have right out from the get-go and don't ever push past that foundation. Lucidity certainly starts with plenty of promise in its storybook world and charming presentation. It's just when you actually get down to playing it that it falters.

The game opens in a quaint little house on a hill, where a little girl lives with her doting grandma. Your wee lass nods off while reading tales of adventure, and dreams of traveling to fantastical faraway lands. This is where the action is, in the dreams of this young lady, and it's up to you to help her get through her adventure in one adorable piece. And maybe collect some fireflies, too!

I'm sure that all sounds peachy until you play it. See, Lucidity is one of those platformers where you don't actually control your character. Sofi (her name is Sofi, I had to look that up) trundles along to the right at a steady clip, only stopping if she literally runs into a wall. Otherwise she'll happily plunge off a cliff or smack face-first into a dream wasp. There's no jumping, no ducking, and while we're on the subject there's no way to speed up her slow stroll, either.

To help her not toddle into certain death like an idiot, you get to place objects in the world that protect her. These include planks and stairs to walk on, springs and fans to launch her, and bombs that can clear enemies away and take chunks out of solid surfaces. You don't get to place these freely, though, because each item is chosen for you, one at a time, Tetris-style. You can bank one item for later use but in general you're going to be working with whatever the game decides to give you at the moment.

I suppose this could work with some clever level design but that's the last thing you're going to get here. Levels are vast expanses of blocky platforms and pits of death and enemies that require some quick thinking when placing objects. Honestly placing objects is always going to require quick thinking, because as slow as Sofi is she doesn't tend to give you much room to work with on her teeny-tiny platforms hanging in a deadly void. There's a huge amount of vertical space to explore as well, with elevated areas that you're only going to get to with a lucky combination of springs and fans anyway.

The end result just isn't any fun, and it's dragged even further down by a conspicuous lack of polish. The art style is a flat papier mache style but coupled with the sharp, straight lines that comprise platforms, levels end up looking like cheap vector art. Some of the backgrounds are nice to look at but others feature some terrible and distracting color combinations. The worst offender is your own interface, with flat yellow silhouettes for your objects, and flat blue silhouettes for the ones you place. It seriously looks like placeholder art, lacking any sort of effects or continuity with the world.

Platformers with indirect control are always a dicey proposition because the threshold for frustration is so much lower. You feel like most of the game is out of your hands, leaving you to simply react to what someone else is doing. Something like Kirby's Canvas Curse worked wonderfully because you had a huge amount of control over your character and the world around him, just in an indirect manner. That's not at all the case here, where you can't even choose how to save Sofi from her own stupidity, you just throw whatever you have at her and hope for the best. Coupled with the unpleasant level design and inconsistent art, Lucidity is more of a nightmare than the dream walk it's supposed to be.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Falcorum posted:

Do you have enough HD space? Some games (notably, Deus Ex MD iirc) require a rather sizeable amount of free HD space to actually patch, usually much larger than the patches themselves.

I have hundreds of gigs free so it's not HD space.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I haven't put any money into it or anything, but I believe that Star Citizen will be a great game and that Bernie Sanders is going to win the 2020 elections. :)

Coincidentally, 2020 is the earliest possible date that Star Citizen will come out.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Supposedly Chris Robert's brother is very capable so he is probably going to pull a competent single player release of Squadron 42 out of the hat.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Carecat posted:

Supposedly Chris Robert's brother is very capable so he is probably going to pull a competent single player release of Squadron 42 out of the hat.
that's all I really care about so I hope it's true.

There's a functional game in there somewhere - I played a couple of the free weekends over the last few months - and they really nail the fantasy of getting out of your space bed and going through the space dorms to call on your spaceship and blast off into space. And, er, all the buttons and stuff seem to do what they're supposed to. Someone should surely be able to salvage something out of that. It's not like there's absolutely no game there at all, but.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Started and finished Saints Row 3 and a
Abzu over the weekend. :toot:
I lost my GTA save and don't feel like playing half of that game again to get where I was. Online is still pretty fun though. Maybe I'll try to polish off Dark Souls 1 or get into XCom 2 or Witcher 3 before the new Zelda comes out.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Carecat posted:

Yeah, but wait for the sale.

SC is basically every reason for not pre-ordering games.

I say this as a backer who has received $30 of entertainment already.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Someone should surely be able to salvage something out of that. It's not like there's absolutely no game there at all, but.

They're trying to pull off seamless space-to-FPS combat in cryengine. They claimed to have a heavily modified cryengine (Where vehicles are helmets) right up until the point they decided to shift to Lumberyard. They still haven't locked this portion down. They're shooting for hundreds of players in single instances (and they've said 'thousands' in early exuberance) in an engine that struggles with 20 or so.

There's a fuckton of really high poly assets, and those are generally what you're actually buying up front, but they've also said that the 2.5Km 'Caterpillar' _will have_ a full modelled interior and you'll have multi-crew.

There's a big list of their announced features around, and they're still struggling with a flight model based off of the FPS engine. Sure they could produce _something_, but at the moment it's really in that 'big pile of parts' stage with non of the detail actually fleshed out.

Hav fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 6, 2017

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Any thoughts on Intersteller Rift? An EA space game that mixes the X series with Space Engineers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcBhe4zD12s

Wondering how frequent updates are and how playable it is. Steam workshop support for ships and such is already in. Looks like a game where you can design ships and then take on missions (trade/mine/combat/etc). Also can move around your ship (like walk around it) and have friends join you.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Huh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjirhAZsZNo

My determination to never give Tim Schaeffer any more of my money is getting shaky.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 6, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Xander77 posted:

Huh.

My determination to never give any Tim Schaeffer any more of my money is getting shaky.

Just give it to him once it comes out, if you're gonna. C'mon, we've been through this drill with Doublefine before. But yeah, I like that art.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Palpek posted:

You know that there's an alternative driving model that you can set in the settings, right?

I'm in the middle of playing through Mafia 3 right now but unlike you I'm burning out because the devs replacing the entire middle part of the main open-world campaign with filler side missions of cleaning out hundreds (I think it's at least a hunderd now) litte interest points with roughly the same content over and over again is probably the laziest poo poo I've seen in open-world gaming in years. I don't know if I can finish this game, it's so bad. Listening to the awesome late 60's soundtrack is what's bringing me back to the game for yet another session though.

The game described the alternate driving mode as "more simulation-like", which is the exact opposite of how I want things changed, so I didn't even turn it on. My main problem with the driving is that you have to do it, and especially making runs to the bayou and back.

I actually like the open world gameplay, but I guess I have always been a sucker for it (the last game I played before this was Watch Dogs 2, and before that was Far Cry Primal). You never have to clear out all those points, it's usually 2 or 3 of the big objectives for each racket and 2 rackets per district. But yeah if you don't like doing that I can see bouncing off, I know that is the prevailing opinion and I am the outlier here. I am also playing this as one of those "podcast games" people like to chill to

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 6, 2017

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Xander77 posted:

You could find money to buy aug canisters, so maybe that's what he meant?

What I remember is there were generally three ways to do each major event and you could get extra whatever by doing all three. For example you could knock people out with stealth then kill them then go through the vents then hack the doors and this would effectively give you 3x the reward for each section of the game, making you ridiculously overpowered.

It's not possible for me to be thinking about HR because I only ever played it up to Shenzhen for some reason.

Anyway I definitely had tons of fun playing IW on the Xbox. It was definitely superior to the PlayStation version of the original. I liked the whole cult angle.

bad day fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 6, 2017

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Huh.

My determination to never give any Tim Schaeffer any more of my money is getting shaky.

That's a really nice looking update to Psychonaut's art style.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
No weekly deals. We had that sale for the Lunar New Year this time last year, so I guess that's happening again.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Justin_Brett posted:

No weekly deals. We had that sale for the Lunar New Year this time last year, so I guess that's happening again.

Was there a Chinese New Year/Valetine sale ever on Steam? It wouldn't be a bad time for a big sale since normally it summer sale around 4th of July, smallish Halloween sale, fall sale around Thanksgiving, and winter sale around Christmas/New Year, and then a big drought of anything until Summer.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, last year definitely and IIRC one before that as well.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Game Freak made a metroidvania where you use a giant ball of debris to kill stuff. Looks neat, anybody try it yet?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/454410/

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Justin_Brett posted:

Actually there are, it's just that Valve cares so little about them they took over an hour to put the main page link back up this week.

Hey get these
Risk of Rain (review) - Roguelike platformer on a unique and brutal dreamlike alien world
How to Survive (review) - Perfectly adequate zombie survival ARPG
Sir, You Are Being Hunted (review) - Slow-paced open-world stealth game
Out There Somewhere (review) - Short but excellent puzzle platformer
Timberman (review) - Look how many words I wrote about chopping wood
Zombie Driver HD (review) - Surprisingly fun isometric zombie squishing
Spaceport Hope (review) - Solid metroidvania-lite with a solar system to explore
Paranormal State: Poison Spring (review) - Very polished hidden object game
Blackbay Asylum (review) - Super trashy horror adventure

No don't do it
Canyon Capers (review) - Why do I bother, no one would ever buy this anyway
Chaos Domain (review) - This one has an elevator that kills you

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

CommissarMega posted:

The dev(s) should include an 'all of the above' option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHgMsvpFm08

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The game described the alternate driving mode as "more simulation-like", which is the exact opposite of how I want things changed, so I didn't even turn it on. My main problem with the driving is that you have to do it, and especially making runs to the bayou and back.

Like everything about driving in this game feels so dreary and painful. I had to steal a police truck so I burned one of my markers to make the police look the other way, and there was an open garage door so I thought I was supposed to take the truck through there. Except the exit garage door was not tall enough for the truck since the little siren at the top was clipping on the door and I couldn't pass through. And then I tried to to back up but somehow the door I had entered before was also now clipping on that one siren, so I was wedged between two doors like a bad scene from Austin Powers

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Drifter posted:

Just give it to him once it comes out, if you're gonna. C'mon, we've been through this drill with Doublefine before. But yeah, I like that art.
I only ever backed up one Kickstarter (Nelly Cootalot: The Fowl Fleet, which was fairly decent) and have no intentions of ever backing another.

I meant I might end up buying the game, assuming it's less poo poo than most other Double Fine productions.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 6, 2017

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Like everything about driving in this game feels so dreary and painful. I had to steal a police truck so I burned one of my markers to make the police look the other way, and there was an open garage door so I thought I was supposed to take the truck through there. Except the exit garage door was not tall enough for the truck since the little siren at the top was clipping on the door and I couldn't pass through. And then I tried to to back up but somehow the door I had entered before was also now clipping on that one siren, so I was wedged between two doors like a bad scene from Austin Powers

Remember to upgrade the car parts as well as weapons/other skills.

Like most open world games, the first few vehicles you come in contact with are absolutely poo poo and are skating around as if the road was made of soap on a rainy day.
The same goes for the vehicles you are forced to use in missions.

At some point, especially after upgrading some of the car related skills, you'll start noticing some of the cars in certain areas of the city, handles really well. The same goes for some of the cars being made available to you (no, your old muscle car still sucks).
At that point I absolutely loved driving around all over the map, Bayou, city, highways, listening to the radio and just enjoying the pretty views.

I played the whole game using kb+m if that makes any difference, though I doubt it.

As for the gameplay itself, I really, really enjoyed it.
It gave me exactly what I expected of an open world action game: An entertaining main campaign with some fun set pieces, plenty of side missions, which I also liked, and a collectathon where you really aren't forced to collect anything other than a few bits and bobs to continue. I cleaned that poo poo up like granny with a vacuum cleaner, going to town on the kids' Lego.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cicadas! posted:

It's Coah McGuirk you dorks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3_lVSrPB6w

I would've thought robotnik would be the hardest to identify, not mcguirk

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Hav posted:

They're trying to pull off seamless space-to-FPS combat in cryengine. They claimed to have a heavily modified cryengine (Where vehicles are helmets) right up until the point they decided to shift to Lumberyard. They still haven't locked this portion down. They're shooting for hundreds of players in single instances (and they've said 'thousands' in early exuberance) in an engine that struggles with 20 or so.

There's a fuckton of really high poly assets, and those are generally what you're actually buying up front, but they've also said that the 2.5Km 'Caterpillar' _will have_ a full modelled interior and you'll have multi-crew.

There's a big list of their announced features around, and they're still struggling with a flight model based off of the FPS engine. Sure they could produce _something_, but at the moment it's really in that 'big pile of parts' stage with non of the detail actually fleshed out.

Even if it's whatever trash the highest bidder throws together from the assets they acquire during the RSI bankruptcy sale, something will ultimately be released. I mean technically something already has. :newlol: .

Now this means that nothing that equates to the something worthy of the $142m in crowd sourcing money RSI has scammed raised from the gullible clear thinking denizens of the internet will actually be released.

The title that will ultimately be released will mean there will be a 100% 50/50 chance that at least one goony neckbeard who invested $20k will :smithicide: when he realizes he spent his kid's college fund on a cool station spinning sim that crashes whenever you try to spin.

Edit

This came up in the grognard thread, but I was thinking about Chris Robert's "real world" Wing Commander game that was released in 1993. It was called Strike Commander.

There are some serious analogs with Star Citizen on that one. Strike Commander was supposed to release in 1991, but was two years late. Mostly because of Chris Roberts the game engine had to be changed twice to incorporate feature creep, and because it was built on basically the edge of the technology available to people's home PCs. At the time of its release it was one of the most expensive games ever made.

Computer Gaming World in 1996 literally named it one of the greatest vaporware games of all time. So even back in his heyday Chris Roberts had a tendency to :homebrew:.

Double edit: I was 15 when Strike Commander came out and thought it was the awesomest thing ever made, even though it wouldn't run on my x386. Wing Commander: Privateer which came out after was actually a pretty awesome game, so hey.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 6, 2017

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Justin_Brett posted:

Lunar New Year's was a couple of weeks ago, so not likely. They did something in Dota for it, so that very well may be it.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I will probably cross post this in the grognard thread, but has anyone played U-Boot? I'm in to naval sims and survival resource people management stuff like This War of Mine so it seems like it should be great; however, I've learned my lesson about not asking about cutting edge games before I buy them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh God I forgot they were making this (I ain't giving them a cent until it's done and I've heard it actually plays without exploding) and it looks so good.

• Locked thread