Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I was in S3 for half a year before I went down to a platoon. Here's to hoping for a specialty platoon next before becoming an XO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I pissed my XO off once (big surprise) with an ice cream cone.

We went to Iraq together, and his name was Dam. I am sure he had heard it all before because of this. So I got an ice cream cone and in my best Forrest Gump impression shouted in HHC.

"Hey LIEUTENANT DAM! I GOT YOU SOME ICE CREAM LT DAM! ICE CREAM!"

He laughed, and then told me if I did it again he would gently caress me up.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.
Was there ever a good time to join the Army?

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
I mean the war wasn't that bad when we were actually doing war things.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Deployed Army is far and away better than garrison Army.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Soulex posted:

I pissed my XO off once (big surprise) with an ice cream cone.

We went to Iraq together, and his name was Dam. I am sure he had heard it all before because of this. So I got an ice cream cone and in my best Forrest Gump impression shouted in HHC.

"Hey LIEUTENANT DAM! I GOT YOU SOME ICE CREAM LT DAM! ICE CREAM!"

He laughed, and then told me if I did it again he would gently caress me up.

While we were in Iraq, our XO got promoted to 1LT. I congratulated him, paused, then said "sir, your rank is on upside down." He actually stopped to check.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

McNally posted:

While we were in Iraq, our XO got promoted to 1LT. I congratulated him, paused, then said "sir, your rank is on upside down." He actually stopped to check.

We had an S3 major who liked to yell at any LT who hosed up a lot then turn their rank sideways and tell them they were a minus for the rest of the day.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

McNally posted:

In Afghanistan on patrol I got to use a sharpie on the helmet rank of the LTC who had been promoted from MAJ the day before. He was a chump, having him duck his head while I drew on him in front of our security detail was a real treat.

Years of always carrying a sharpie finally paid off.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Were you not constantly drawing dick art with that sharpie???

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Naked Bear posted:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

McNally posted:

You had a 2LT as an XO?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

MurderBot posted:

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Naked Bear posted:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Mustang posted:

You had a 2LT as an XO?

we did for a long while

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Mustang posted:

You had a 2LT as an XO?

It's not that uncommon.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
In light Infantry world it's pretty common, since there is minimal maintenance to worry about. If you are heavy or Stryker, then you actually need a competent XO since maintenance is 2/5 of your week at minimum.

Support units usually have LTs dual tasked xo and some section lead since they send the majority of their LTs to maneuver units to fill s shops.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

MurderBot posted:

Dick art and insulting Top's wife with a sharpie is what makes the Army function.

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Speaking of.

For all you dick art aficionados.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...2411179007.html

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

AmyL posted:

Was there ever a good time to join the Army?

Well if you were in between 1991 and 1998 it apparently entitles you to talk about how pussified our military has gotten over the last 16 years and how Donald Trump is going to make it great again. So that's something.

psydude fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 7, 2017

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

psydude posted:

Well if you were in between 1991 and 1998 it apparently entitles you to talk about how pussified our military has gotten over the last 16 years and how Donald Trump is going to make it great again. So that's something.

Thank gently caress I don't run into these vets. That would make me losing my loving mind.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Lemme tell you about how lazy and poo poo all these Millennials are, and furthermore--

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

psydude posted:

Obviously I just enlisted but it's pretty funny how the generation of post-Gulf peacetime Army vets tries to rag on the generation that basically deployed to shooty shooty wars from 2001 all the way to like yesterday.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Vahakyla posted:

Obviously I just enlisted but it's pretty funny how the generation of post-Gulf peacetime Army vets tries to rag on the generation that basically deployed to shooty shooty wars from 2001 all the way to like yesterday.

Vets from the Gulf War are the loving worst. All branches.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

On my first contract, my team got assigned a Marine vet who was a helicopter mechanic in the 90s and couldn't shut up about how much better the Marines are than the Army. Dude was also my height and 100lbs more than me, so basically an ambulatory orb. The team at the time was mostly GWOT Army combat arms vets too.

We ended up basically hazing him off the team. I'd almost feel bad, but he was such a douche about everything.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Former Marines who have joined the Army Reserve or National Guard or whatever are pretty much the worst. The general mood was there was probably a reason why the Marines let them go in the first place.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
There's a former Marine in my old company who got medboarded out of the Marines, joined the Army to renew his clearance, and now he's getting medboarded out of the Army.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Yeah well MAN WE HAD TO SHINE BOOTS you weren't there man you didn't see what I saw

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

We had one prior service marine who joined the guard, but he was actually a really chill guy, albeit he didn't give a single gently caress about anything military related except when we deployed where it was all business.

Ended up ETS'ing after 6 years and became a lawyer.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I used to think as a young soldier that the salty former Marines from the 90s we cool cats because they would generally be funny, bitched about common sense and grit, and had experience in the military.

Then I grew and realized they couldn't turn off that bullshit when it was time to be an adult, and served in a time the military had no mission. It was actually one of the more distressing revelations I had as a young soldier.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
My favorite AIT thing has been Active people always counting days already to their ETS and leaving AIT and whatever they count for, and how around HBL it started sinking in that a good third here are actually going home after AIT. They feel like people are legit cheating, getting the army experience and still going home. It was like some giant ruse hd a rug pulled under it, hah.

If you could switch to NG during AIT, there'd be no active duty Army.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vahakyla posted:

If you could switch to NG during AIT, there'd be no active duty Army.

This is the exact opposite of what retention actually sees and indicative of the value of the PNN.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
It's more just a case of TRADOC sucking and IET students thinking the rest of the army will be the same, so they want to get away from it as fast as possible.

At least, that's how I was.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Throughout OCS and ABOLC the NG guys all wished they could be active duty. Honestly wasn't all that impressed with NG OCS candidates. Some states send anyone with a degree and a pulse to OCS and they only manage to commission by the skin of their teeth.

Most of my NG OCS classmates went home to either no job or something less than what they would make as an active duty officer.

I definitely don't regret being active duty, I'm in a good unit and legit enjoying being a PL. The pay is pretty good too.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Officer pay is definitely too high after the GWOT raises. Enlisted pay probably is too, but I don't know as much about that.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

psydude posted:

Uh, I joined then. Stress cards were the thing back then.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Stress cards have been the poo poo the cycle after yours got since probably the civil war, it seems.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Carteret posted:

Stress cards have been the poo poo the cycle after yours got since probably the civil war, it seems.

Things were pretty easy in the 90's army I thought.

Although it was funny to see all the poo poo talkers suddenly develop surprise illnesses when 9/11 happened and the war(s) kicked off.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

psydude posted:

Former Marines who have joined the Army Reserve or National Guard or whatever are pretty much the worst. The general mood was there was probably a reason why the Marines let them go in the first place.

we had 2- our CO and our Motor Sgt. CO was good to lower enlisted, but a lot of the NCOs disliked her for micromanaging. Our Motor Sgt was a rad dude who had been in the military forever and had a massive chesty puller back tattoo. He loved to yell at medics for destroying humvees, but if you stuck around to actually change out your CV boot for the millionth time instead of deadlining it and leaving it to them he was cool.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

we also had a former navy cook who got out after 15 in the clinton force reduction times, then went guard to get the 5 years for more $.

She loaded her magazine upside down and backwards on nightfire lanes. She got it in there by banging it against a rock.

she was a fuckup but she did run the kitchen fine so no one really bugged her. Also she went home due to depression halfway through deployment. When we demobbed from Dix and drove home she was still stuck at Dix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harsh But True
Oct 13, 2016

Mustang posted:

Throughout OCS and ABOLC the NG guys all wished they could be active duty. Honestly wasn't all that impressed with NG OCS candidates. Some states send anyone with a degree and a pulse to OCS and they only manage to commission by the skin of their teeth.

This but for all OCS officers... I've never met one with an iq over 80.