Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

So Mattis will be the reason why the us wont be a nuclear hellscape in 4 years...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Godholio posted:

Jews killed Jesus.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

KildarX posted:

So Mattis will be the reason why the us wont be a nuclear hellscape in 4 years...

He will probably get fired.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I wonder if Mattis would run for president.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Reverand maynard posted:

I wonder if Mattis would run for president.

God I hope so.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

facialimpediment posted:

Also, Kelly at DHS is actively telling Bannon to go gently caress himself, so Mattis and Kelly may, in fact, save us all.

or did he

quote:

The article has been updated to reflect comments from White House press secretary Sean Spicer. The article previously stated that Stephen K. Bannon visited Homeland Security Secretary John F. Kelly’s office on Jan. 28. Spicer said Bannon did not make such a visit. He also said that Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and Bannon did not participate in a 2 a.m. conference call on Jan. 29. The article also previously stated that President Trump approved a pause in executive orders pending new procedures. According to Spicer, it was White House Chief of Staff Reince Priebus, rather than the president, who approved the new procedures, but not a pause.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.5215326a705e

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I don't even know why but I'm still kinda shocked (just a teensy bit) that Trump is saying that anything negative is fake

Can't wait for another interview or something with him, and he sticks his fingers in his ears and does the LALALALAL I CANT HEAR YOU thing

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

TBeats posted:

He will probably get fired.

His replacement would be probably someone utterly terrible, such as noted human walrus John Bolton

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Sean Spicer is now saying that the SNL skits have gone from 'Funny' to 'Mean'.

Something something Snowflakes.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It will be funny to see Trump explaining that Mattis is a traitor.

CommieGIR posted:

I've already said he's the weakest link and a little more leaning on him will finish him.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

If Trump fired Mattis I can only hope that Mattis would simply march on Washington was the Bonus Army 2.0

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I don't even know why but I'm still kinda shocked (just a teensy bit) that Trump is saying that anything negative is fake

Can't wait for another interview or something with him, and he sticks his fingers in his ears and does the LALALALAL I CANT HEAR YOU thing

When's the last time he did an interview that wasn't on Fox?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

No Safe Word posted:

When's the last time he did an interview that wasn't on Fox?

I don't think Fox news will be considered real for much longer

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Maybe Fox will get back in line after somebody feeds O'Reilly a polonium falafel.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I don't think Fox news will be considered real for much longer

i love that russia threatend them today

such a nice little wrinkle in this shitfest

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Kellyanne Conway hosed up again. Turns out her MSNBC interview wasn't the first one that she peddled the Bowling Green bullshit, she also dropped that bullshit about four days earlier in an interview with cosmo magazine.

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/828652599977058304

Conway is already sorta banned from CNN due to her 'credibility issues', which is fun.

https://twitter.com/CNNPR/status/828651669294612480

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Reverand maynard posted:

If Trump fired Mattis I can only hope that Mattis would simply march on Washington was the Bonus Army 2.0

Except successful, I assume.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
A look at "America's poorest white town" and their support for trump. Nothing real new and insightful from the many other similar pieces that have been done.

"Donald Trump's got all the money he'll ever need... Trump will be a president for the common man."

One of the most common refrains we've seen again and again.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/06/news/economy/donald-trump-beattyville-kentucky/

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

CommieGIR posted:

quote:

"Alec has gone from funny to mean, and that's unfortunate. SNL used to be really funny. There's a streak of meanness now that they've crossed over to mean," Spicer told Extra.

Factually thicker skin than Donald. Think, but not that thin.

Mr. Nice! posted:

The Kremlin has issued a statement demanding apology from Fox News for O'Reilly calling Putin a killer.

:lol:

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

FastestGunAlive posted:

A look at "America's poorest white town" and their support for trump. Nothing real new and insightful from the many other similar pieces that have been done.

"Donald Trump's got all the money he'll ever need... Trump will be a president for the common man."

Today, the town is a ghost of its former self. The vast majority of Beattyville residents get some form of government aid -- 57% of households receive food stamps and 58% get disability payments from Social Security.

"I hope [Trump] don't take the benefits away, but at the same time, I think that once more jobs come in a lot of people won't need the benefits," says Hayes, who currently receives about $500 a month from government assistance. She's also on Obamacare.

That whole article is just plain sad and depressing. These people are going to get hosed so hard by the time Trump's 4/8 years are up and grow even more embittered towards the government :(.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
https://www.google.com/amp/www.expressnews.com/news/local/amp/A-second-chance-from-Obama-then-another-10907050.php

quote:

A San Antonio man who was freed from life in prison by President Barack Obama is back behind bars, accused of crashing his car into another vehicle while fleeing from officers after a drug deal Thursday.

A Vietnam vet, naturally.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Barry's pissed.

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/828660158511325185

Sorry, not THAT Barry.

Edit: British Parliament telling Donnie to gently caress off: https://twitter.com/Independent/status/828651214875279360

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 6, 2017

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

FastestGunAlive posted:

this is heartbreaking as gently caress :smith:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
They're all good Barrys, Brent

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

facialimpediment posted:

Conway is already sorta banned from CNN due to her 'credibility issues', which is fun.

https://twitter.com/CNNPR/status/828651669294612480

This actually has me optimistic that the fourth estate has finally, FINALLY caught on that their slavish devotion to "access" above all else in their entire profession was cut right the gently caress off back in November when they explicitly became "the enemy" so if they want to do anything more involved than what the entire world can see without them on Twitter they'll need to actually do some journalism again.

I now look forward to reality asserting itself again and this hope being crushed.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Vladimir Putin wants to play against the Philadelphia Flyers' Alumni Team.

Hope he runs into an elbow.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

god i hope the whalers come back to ct i wanna like hockey again

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
1:15PM ET

President Trump Makes Remarks to Coalition Representatives and Senior US Commanders at Macdill AFB

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Bobby Clarke is gonna vanish :ohdear:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

watching

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

trump playing that suspense game

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deserves the embed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ddPhG6EAOo&t=61s

shyduck posted:

Bobby Clarke is gonna vanish :ohdear:
:smith:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The newest Call of Duty is going to be nothing but SF mowing down protestors and it will be the greatest selling game ever

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

FastestGunAlive posted:

This is something that touches on the decay of small/rural America that hasn't yet received the real national conversation that it needs. What do local/regional areas do when the economy has shifted away from regional manufacturing/source of employment?

I'd imagine an economist would say "well, pick up your belongings and go find work in more urban areas or wait decades for regional depression and desperation to push wages down so low that menial work comes in to eventually replace some of the lost jobs." Which, while kinda true in the most academic way, is nearly impossible for people living in these areas. People have emotional connections to their homes/communities/regions. To ignore that is to miss a major factor in economic decisions these people make.

So what does America do for towns that lost a major factory/mill/mine/corporate HQ? What can and should people in economically distressed areas be expected to do? How/Should the US government respond when the only alternatives to fill the economic vacuum are big box retail stores and service industry (read: low wage) jobs?

It feels like whoever can solve that Gordian Knot will have real power in the future.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

Thwomp posted:

This is something that touches on the decay of small/rural America that hasn't yet received the real national conversation that it needs. What do local/regional areas do when the economy has shifted away from regional manufacturing/source of employment?

I'd imagine an economist would say "well, pick up your belongings and go find work in more urban areas or wait decades for regional depression and desperation to push wages down so low that menial work comes in to eventually replace some of the lost jobs." Which, while kinda true in the most academic way, is nearly impossible for people living in these areas. People have emotional connections to their homes/communities/regions. To ignore that is to miss a major factor in economic decisions these people make.

So what does America do for towns that lost a major factory/mill/mine/corporate HQ? What can and should people in economically distressed areas be expected to do? How/Should the US government respond when the only alternatives to fill the economic vacuum are big box retail stores and service industry jobs?

It feels like whoever can solve that Gordian Knot will have real power in the future.

basic universal income is the only path, literallyt as this article shows it already exists we just call it social security disability. not even being a full :ussr: or everything, we are literally hitting the point where automation and poor health took their jobs.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

1:15PM ET

President Trump Makes Remarks to Coalition Representatives and Senior US Commanders at Macdill AFB

Shouldn't this already be live?

The stream says so, but it's still on "beginning shortly".

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Shouldn't this already be live?

The stream says so, but it's still on "beginning shortly".

maybe they're still looking for the light switch

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
RIP UK

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/donald-trump-uk-state-visit-speaker-address-parliament-a7565651.html

Donald Trump will not be allowed to address Parliament on UK state visit, Speaker John Bercow says

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
ACA Act Repeal is off the table till next year at the earliest:

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-...ontent=20170206

quote:

"When you brag about your alligator wrestling skills and suddenly the whole bar has gone out to find you a gator and now you don't know what to do."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
D&D had a good thread about the rural problem and the options aren't very promising. You're talking about a workforce that is very unfit, very uneducated or both.

• Locked thread