Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

RIP UK

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/donald-trump-uk-state-visit-speaker-address-parliament-a7565651.html

Donald Trump will not be allowed to address Parliament on UK state visit, Speaker John Bercow says

Nigel Farage will fluff his pain away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Proud Christian Mom posted:

D&D had a good thread about the rural problem and the options aren't very promising. You're talking about a workforce that is very unfit, very uneducated or both.

Thus why the military, and even more specifically the infantry is full of guys from small towns in the middle of loving nowhere.

This is subjective, but the vast majority of people I knew in the infantry were from the south in small towns, California, Texas, and then a smattering of New York, Florida, and one-offs from most of the western states.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Thwomp posted:

This is something that touches on the decay of small/rural America that hasn't yet received the real national conversation that it needs. What do local/regional areas do when the economy has shifted away from regional manufacturing/source of employment?

I'd imagine an economist would say "well, pick up your belongings and go find work in more urban areas or wait decades for regional depression and desperation to push wages down so low that menial work comes in to eventually replace some of the lost jobs." Which, while kinda true in the most academic way, is nearly impossible for people living in these areas. People have emotional connections to their homes/communities/regions. To ignore that is to miss a major factor in economic decisions these people make.

So what does America do for towns that lost a major factory/mill/mine/corporate HQ? What can and should people in economically distressed areas be expected to do? How/Should the US government respond when the only alternatives to fill the economic vacuum are big box retail stores and service industry (read: low wage) jobs?

It feels like whoever can solve that Gordian Knot will have real power in the future.

There was a decent thread about that very subject in D&D a while back. Then it unsurprisingly turned into garbage when the "heh gently caress those hicks, I hope they die/why won't they just move lol idiots :smug:"-.crew showed up.

But yeah, that issue is becoming more and more relevant not in just the US, but pretty much everywhere in the developed world. We're trying out basic income via a limited trial program to see if and how it works in a real world environment. I can't really see any other way to solve the issue of dying rural areas if democracies don't want them to turn into hotbeds of rightwing populism.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

D&D had a good thread about the rural problem and the options aren't very promising. You're talking about a workforce that is very unfit, very uneducated or both.

And for the most part, any industrial jobs that do come back are going to require either at least 5-10 years experience or higher than a HS diploma.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
stream is live now

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Mike-o posted:

Thus why the military, and even more specifically the infantry is full of guys from small towns in the middle of loving nowhere.

Yeah the military's real value is as a rural/poor jobs program.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Oh look he's talking about himself right off the loving bat.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mike-o posted:

Oh look he's talking about himself right off the loving bat.

Thank you for having me. Isn't it awesome how I won the election by large margins?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
beautiful new planes, gonna load it up

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
WE'RE GONNA HAVE A LOT OF EQUIPMENT, BELIEVE ME!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
"We're gonna be loading up MacDill with a lot of beautiful planes. And a lot of beautiful equipment. A lllllot of *emphasizes* beautiful equipment. Believe me."

:lol:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
a lot of MREs

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Guys, I think Donnie is dumb as gently caress.

Edit: Kellyanne Conway repeated the Bowling Green bullshit to TMZ too. Three places. https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/828677321636868097

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
IDK what that supreme court thing has to do with anything

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

facialimpediment posted:

Guys, I think Donnie is dumb as gently caress.

What did the Supreme Court have to do with anything?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
JFC WWI numbers

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

oh my god donnie the US navy is already the largest navy on earth by a HUGE margin. Come on.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009
Guys WWI was a long time ago

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

IDK what that supreme court thing has to do with anything

Or the election

It doesn't matter if it's relevant, he'll point out any time he did anything he perceives as excellent (which is everything)

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

LongDarkNight posted:

What did the Supreme Court have to do with anything?

THE DEFENSE OF THIS NATION, loving duh!

Wild guess, I'm thinking he means that the Supreme Court will back him up on his bullshit muslim ban.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Missionary Positron posted:

There was a decent thread about that very subject in D&D a while back. Then it unsurprisingly turned into garbage when the "heh gently caress those hicks, I hope they die/why won't they just move lol idiots :smug:"-.crew showed up.

But yeah, that issue is becoming more and more relevant not in just the US, but pretty much everywhere in the developed world. We're trying out basic income via a limited trial program to see if and how it works in a real world environment. I can't really see any other way to solve the issue of dying rural areas if democracies don't want them to turn into hotbeds of rightwing populism.

Ryand-Smith posted:

basic universal income is the only path, literallyt as this article shows it already exists we just call it social security disability. not even being a full :ussr: or everything, we are literally hitting the point where automation and poor health took their jobs.

I've heard UBI as a solution before but, I believe, the basic problem to that is it is antithetical to the current American attitude towards work. Work provides meaning to many people, outside of just the income it also provides. And it shows up starkly in surveys where people who were unemployed but age into retirement age and then become "Retired" report instant improvements in their outlook. When Americans receive cash without working, I think many feel guilt and shame.

Now outside of changing the entire American ethic towards work, is there a way to still help people in economically distressed regions without making them feel also guilty? Is there a way to provide it as a choice that involves minimal self-guilt? And this still doesn't address region-wide problems. If everyone unemployed in western Kentucky suddenly received a UBI, would that be enough to lift the region out of economic death-spirals? Or would that replace said spirals with chain-store stripmall hells?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

The finest equipment known to man.

loving hell

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Very very large, just like my hands, believe me.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
not president related

http://theslot.jezebel.com/someone-...he_Slot_twitter

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
very dishonest press

sad

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Oh my loving god, his eloquence is somehow...diminishing even beyond 8th grade levels.

"They don't stand a chance against our special forces. Don't stand a chance. Not a chance. *Waves finger* No one stands a chance against our special forces. And they'll have the finest equipment known to man."

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I wish I could see a view of the audience.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I was half expecting "peace through strength" to turn into "peace through superior firepower, the most superior, really the greatest firepower."

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

mlmp08 posted:

It's a bunch of office jockeys who never deployed I'd bet. And they all have trump stickers and SUPPORT ARE TROOPS stickers on their lifted F-150.

Oh god he's loving clapping himself.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

That was hilariously content-less and basic.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I wonder how long they had to rehearse the clapping

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

RIP UK

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/donald-trump-uk-state-visit-speaker-address-parliament-a7565651.html

Donald Trump will not be allowed to address Parliament on UK state visit, Speaker John Bercow says
Liz doesn't want anything to do with him, parliament doesn't want anything to do with him, and a lot of regular people aren't going to want him around either. That leaves May, who probably can't really stand him, and stupid oval office Farage.

For an added bonus he tried to make Princess Diana his third wife but she wanted nothing to do with him and then discovered that the best way to escape him was death.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Yeah the military's real value is as a rural/poor jobs program.

there's a reason hitler launched a massive civil works program

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

I wonder how long they had to rehearse the clapping

MEMORANDUM FOR RECORD

Subject: Clapping

From this point forward all press conferences will be audibly announced via clapping. This clapping does not equate to endorsement or political speech. Failure to clap is punishable under Article 92 of UCMJ. Please clap.

GEN SOMEONE
GENERAL, USA
Commanding

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MA-Horus posted:

oh my god donnie the US navy is already the largest navy on earth by a HUGE margin. Come on.

Surprised he's not trying to push for new Battleships.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

The newest Call of Duty is going to be nothing but SF mowing down protestors and it will be the greatest selling game ever

Remember....no Russian

https://youtu.be/8NMnnMRWJ-0

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

mlmp08 posted:

Close enough here: https://twitter.com/nancyayoussef/status/828680361429311494

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Thwomp posted:

I've heard UBI as a solution before but, I believe, the basic problem to that is it is antithetical to the current American attitude towards work. Work provides meaning to many people, outside of just the income it also provides. And it shows up starkly in surveys where people who were unemployed but age into retirement age and then become "Retired" report instant improvements in their outlook. When Americans receive cash without working, I think many feel guilt and shame.

Now outside of changing the entire American ethic towards work, is there a way to still help people in economically distressed regions without making them feel also guilty? Is there a way to provide it as a choice that involves minimal self-guilt? And this still doesn't address region-wide problems. If everyone unemployed in western Kentucky suddenly received a UBI, would that be enough to lift the region out of economic death-spirals? Or would that replace said spirals with chain-store stripmall hells?

Could we, yes. Realistically? No, we're not going to create a fake-economy of thousands of Americans pretending to be Wal-Mart greeters at an empty store. We're going to struggle enough just to get anything resembling universal income, nevermind the headache of pretending that its not a handout and yes you actually did do something by moving this pile of rocks from point a to point b.

This is the part where we start drowning in irony and anger. If they don't like it, they can refuse the money. There are millions in this country who do need help and they've spent decades being lambasted as 'welfare queens' by the same people that now want government to somehow make it better but also protect their feelings. gently caress 'em. Its welfare and you're eligible for it. Its like the same people who keep telling themselves they're middle class and just one big break away from being rich when really they're a missed paycheck away from having all their poo poo repoed and getting foreclosed on. You're not almost-rich, you're not middle class, you're loving poor. We're going to struggle enough just to help people, we ain't got loving time for their feelings.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Thwomp posted:

If we're not doing UBI, then the best option is something like Roosevelt's alphabet soup of economic recovery agencies. Start paying people a wage to move from a marginal place like rural Kentucky to areas that have better economic prospects, pay for their job training, and help them get set-up to be self-sufficient. The problem is getting them to accept that sort of help. The article points out that most of them are hanging by a thread and 58% are getting SSD or other assistance already, but they consistently vote for people like Trump and Gov. Matt Bevin who promise to come in and rip up the thin safety nets that already exist.

Mixing Individualism with Capitalism must be a hell of a drug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Apparently 10 years is plenty of time to forget what happens when you replace actual strategy with bravado.

• Locked thread