Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

Same deal with the daughter from The Mick. she's like 29 years old

I haven't seen her in anything else so that one hasn't bugged me yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
She looks younger now than she did in Gossip Girl.

http://www.etonline.com/tv/161990_finding_carter_and_skins_star_kathryn_prescott_doesn_t_want_to_play_a_teenager_forever/

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I never watched that.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I felt that premiere was pretty meh coming off all the previous seasons of 24.
Bunch of storylines are groan-worthy and regressive right off the bat.
-Scary Muslim terrorists killing brave American soldiers
-Don't trust that young Chechen girl, she's a bomber (gently caress immigrants?)
-Black guy is main character (that's a plus!) ...who has a main story plot about how his acquaintances are drug-dealing gang members (that's a minus!)

24 always played with conventions and gave us interesting and unexpected baddies each season. Why go to the racist cliches first?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Keep us up to date on the nick names.

NotCurtis and President Dad were my favs,

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

24 is one of my all-time favorite shows, and I feel like if there's no Jack, there's no reason to watch it, even if it maintains some side characters/plot mainstays.

The new one would basically have to receive universal praise from fans of the original to get me to watch it, and I really don't foresee that happening.

I'm sure it won't have its main character suited up in riot gear with a machine gun going after the crooked former President of the United States, and for that alone it won't be as impressive.

Seriously, how insane was this poo poo?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us5K--CFtdI

X-O posted:

Also Corey Hawkins is great
Woah, wait, Dr. Dre from Straight Outta Compton is the main dude in the new one? Okay I actually might be interested in this after all.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 6, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

For anyone that has forgotten the sheer insanity that the 24 world operates on the following video is mandatory viewing. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P52G4Kyq5M

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Kim vs the mountain lion was a highlight of the series.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rhyno posted:

Kim vs the mountain lion was a highlight of the series.
Somehow the show kept getting crazier and crazier from there.

Like, that was tame by 24 standards, which is absurd and hilarious.

Remember that time Chloe was cornered, opened up the trunk of her SUV, got out an assault rifle and stopped working with computers?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is 24 still on Netflix? I need to rewatch the entire series.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Somehow the show kept getting crazier and crazier from there.

Like, that was tame by 24 standards, which is absurd and hilarious.

Remember that time Chloe was cornered, opened up the trunk of her SUV, got out an assault rifle and stopped working with computers?

No discussion of 24 is complete without the following.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Have they cut the trunk line this season? Because it's coming

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MiddleOne posted:

For anyone that has forgotten the sheer insanity that the 24 world operates on the following video is mandatory viewing. :allears:

Gonz posted:

No discussion of 24 is complete without the following.

Oh my god, this is amazing :swoon:

I want to rewatch the whole series.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

First episode was bad. Black guy has drug dealer family and then the teen high school drama that's already insufferable in under 5 seconds. Also the main character has one of the Ron Swanson escape bags and it looks ridiculous. Way to be inconspicuous by carrying around an extreme military looking bag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zcI_ObML_g

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
poo poo, I was phonepostin' and I didn't see that the video was posted on this exact page. Apologies.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ahahahaha, that sure was some 24-rear end 24 :allears:

"Doin' it. Adding drone coverage and generating a 4D environment."

That Edgar shoutout was the stupidest throwaway fanservice possible. And that high school subplot had the most cheesy rear end payoff ever :roflolmao: I was laughing heartily at all the cliches in it.

Main dude's girlfriend saying he missed the killing, that he enjoys it reminded me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmoLd_YiQ-U

It sure was good for some laughs, but I don't know that I'd call it good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like this show needs a thread!

Oh wait it already has one

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

The first three seasons of 24 were pretty great and also Elisha Cuthbert.

Cuthbert's best role has been at getting hockey players fired, not acting.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

It's from episode 5 of The Good Place.

She's saying "Good person"

Haha, cheers. My mind blanked on it completely but now I remember it. :D

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

She wasn't great in Skins but the first 2 generations were a great show.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IRQ posted:

Adam Carolla strikes me as a real piece of poo poo so them two feuding is appropriate.

Who cares enough about Carolla these days to have a feud with him? Like, in the Loveline days maybe, but any time in the last decade?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

X-O posted:

Yes, because the best character, Tony Almeida, is back. Also Corey Hawkins is great and it has Jimmy Smits and Gerald McRaney. There's a lot to like in this new version.

I thought Tony became a bad guy and died? Or maybe died and came back as a bad guy? I dunno, my tolerance for 24 was depleted around season 5 or so.

X-O posted:

Or maybe just blame the dumb people that take 24 as if it were something real instead of the people writing a show for entertainment.

The problem is that some of those dumb people, at least at the time, were elected officials that were using 24 as justification for torture being effective.

Mu Zeta posted:

24 had really specific situations where torture worked. If Jack Bauer didn't do it or threaten to do it in some of the early seasons there really would have been a deadly virus outbreak or nuclear explosion in a city. My favorite torture was the one where they captured a terrorist and pretended to kill his wife and kids one by one until he broke.

Remember when they just gave a kid away to terrorists for no reason, never to be seen or heard from again? Or when Jack murdered his superior as part of some bad guy's demands? Good times.

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Feb 6, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

raditts posted:

The problem is that some of those dumb people, at least at the time, were elected officials that were using 24 as justification for torture being effective.
Also unelected Associate Justice of the Supreme Court Antonin Scalia.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

First episode was bad. Black guy has drug dealer family and then the teen high school drama that's already insufferable in under 5 seconds. Also the main character has one of the Ron Swanson escape bags and it looks ridiculous. Way to be inconspicuous by carrying around an extreme military looking bag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zcI_ObML_g

Jack had his satchel of holding to carry all his truckloads of ammo and/or heroin stash, why shouldn't the new guy?

I haven't seen it yet but I'm about ready for some dumbassed 24 nonsense.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm gonna give the second episode a shot tonight but I was not all that impressed with the new 24.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

IRQ posted:

Jack had his satchel of holding to carry all his truckloads of ammo and/or heroin stash, why shouldn't the new guy?
Jack Bauer kicking a heroin habit in like 12 hours should be inspiration for us all :allears:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
oh dear, this does not bode well

https://twitter.com/davidlsims/status/828700108883632128

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

If it's as good as Mr Robot, I'll be thrilled.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Great Hot Take from a guy I've never heard of.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

X-O posted:

I read the name as Dave Sim as first and was very confused as to why the misogynistic shitheel who wrote Cerebus was weighing in on TV shows on twitter.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I enjoyed Mr. Robot S1 so I'm cool.

Also, I have no problem admitting that I'm totally fine with nonsense if its really entertaining. Not everything I watch is nonsense but I'd be a liar if I claimed I don't happily watch plenty of nonsense. And anyone who doesn't say the same is probably a pretentious liar.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mr Robot was too bleak and oppressive for me, I couldn't keep going.

e: says the guy with the bojack horseman av, i know.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

"Good television"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

IRQ posted:

Mr Robot was too bleak and oppressive for me, I couldn't keep going.

e: says the guy with the bojack horseman av, i know.

Well I only said I enjoyed S1 because I still haven't watched S2. I intend to watch it eventually but for the most part S1 kept me hooked because of the really well done mystery and reveals and without them I worry that S2 will just be too bleak, as you said.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Holy gently caress OJ Made In America is fantastic. It's a billion hours, but I got sucked in and went through five hours like it was nothing. If I had made a list of the best of 2016 I would have included that on it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I think critics only got to see the first 3 episodes of LEGION anyway (At least according to Sepinwall's review), so I'm not really ready to believe it's about 'nothing', as arbitrary a term as that is.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

X-O posted:

The Atlantic is a solid highbrow outlet, I wouldn't write off his opinion under normal circumstances. However, Hawley seems to be on some "gently caress everything," last-ten-minutes-of-Speed-Racer poo poo and that can throw off even the most intuitive critics.

Is there a thread? I think I might make one.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Shageletic posted:

It's a billion hours

It's just under 8 hours.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

less laughter posted:

It's just under 8 hours.

Uh we're just going to have agree to disagree here

EDIT

DivisionPost posted:

I remember hearing that too; I imagine it had something to do with him being a proud stoner in his 40s when she and Ben were trying to start a family. And on a certain level, that sucks. But to bring it back to Olyphant, you know what they say about assholes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laFGAp6Ip40

I think I've posted this before, but this shows alot of Olyphant's personality, kinda quiet, and really, really funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFEHp9aNeqk

EDIT 2: Compare and contrast how incredibly off-putting SMith is in this episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xif09V0BG_s

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

90% of a Legion show should be nonsense.

• Locked thread